Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

God I wish Samsung does away with curve screens because it'll hopefully mean the other copy cats stop doing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
is there a reason this 7t doesn't display music controls on the lockscreen? the option for them is very much On in Play Music settings.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Maker Of Shoes posted:

is there a reason this 7t doesn't display music controls on the lockscreen? the option for them is very much On in Play Music settings.

Did you pause it? It's been my experience that none of the audio players (including audible) keep the player on the lock screen anymore when not active.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
The SA forums support pressurized cheese PMs but not search

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mister Facetious posted:

Did you pause it? It's been my experience that none of the audio players (including audible) keep the player on the lock screen anymore when not active.

figured it out and its bizarre enough to be OnePlus specific I'm guessing. by default music apps are not set to "Important" which removes them from having an active notification or showing up on the lock screen. long pressing it and changing it fixes it but now it also vibrates when I interact with the music controls lmao

NeVeR sEtTlE

edit: holy lol i'm just going to have to turn off haptic system wide. edit 2: okay, if i set the alert slider to silent instead of vibrate it behaves like my old pixel except now it doesn't vibrate for incoming messages or calls. i'd care more about this if I didn't have a watch for those kind of alerts but yeeeesh.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 23, 2019

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015
After a month with face unlock, I can confidently say I find it inferior to fingerprint. Half of the time I have to touch the screen to get it to wake up anyways. None of my apps work with it and it isn't nearly as consistent as fingerprint for me. Just seems like one of those "progress for the sake of progress" things and completely unnecessary. I'm sure some people feel different but I gave it a fair shot and still highly prefer fingerprint.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

torturemyballs posted:

After a month with face unlock, I can confidently say I find it inferior to fingerprint. Half of the time I have to touch the screen to get it to wake up anyways. None of my apps work with it and it isn't nearly as consistent as fingerprint for me. Just seems like one of those "progress for the sake of progress" things and completely unnecessary. I'm sure some people feel different but I gave it a fair shot and still highly prefer fingerprint.

Thanks Apple.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

redeyes posted:

Thanks Apple.

having very good, nigh instantaneous lift to wake makes it pretty painless on the iphone. my note 10s raise to wake is... less good

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Pixel 4 sales ($200 off) are live at various retailers.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Cross posting from the Fi thread:

I was already planning on buying at the $200 off, so this is a no brainer

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Man, you really, really shouldn't buy a Pixel at launch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Incessant Excess posted:

I mean, pretty much true of any Android phone. Look at the deals Samsung is running on the Note series.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just replaced flagship is my sweet spot on the price-to-performance curve. For LG phones you can get in sooner because they depreciate so fast.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Are there any particularly decent phones on sale in the $150-$200 range? I've been tasked with helping a relative (on Cricket) who's not particularly tech savvy and it's looking like it's time for an upgrade

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Dudes the rumours are that it won't be curved glass.

Wow if this is actually true I will strongly consider getting a Samsung phone for the first time since the galaxy nexus. The curved glass poo poo is so bad, I can't believe they did it for so long.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Someone was asking about fast wireless charging for the Pixel 4 several weeks ago. I got this Anker wireless charging pad and it absolutely will fast charge, though the Pixel doesn't say so. Just keep in mind you need a 24W charger to get the fast charging (I got this one to stick with the same brand). The charging works great through my fabric case and the cheap TPU cases I bought with no issues, though the lights on both the plug and pad are bright enough to read by until you break out the covering tape.

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm pretty happy with my pre-ordered Pixel 4, but I also managed to get $450 off.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Even the iPhone is getting $200 off deals for Black Friday.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Fawf posted:

Are there any particularly decent phones on sale in the $150-$200 range? I've been tasked with helping a relative (on Cricket) who's not particularly tech savvy and it's looking like it's time for an upgrade

From what I've seen of Black Friday stuff the sweet deals are all a bit more than that for getting an unlocked phone without activation. Pixel 3 is already available on Amazon for $349, and the 3a should be up for $299 soon in multiple places. Amazon warehouse does have used ones for similar prices but with a %20 coupon that works out to about $290/245 respectively.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Costco has T-Mobile Pixel 3a for $200 B&M with activation, per slickdeals.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

For $50 more, isn't the Pixel 3 a better deal then a Pixel 3a? That is a reasonably good hardware jump even though the 3a is a good device no doubt.

I know I do have that urge for something new, but my 2XL has continued to be a rather good device and even with the hundreds of apps and crap I have on the thing, the battery life still happens to make it through a day without much fuss.

My main goal is to hold out and see what happens when the Sprint/T-Mobile thing happens an what phones I can finally get my hands on once CDMA is put to death.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

EdEddnEddy posted:

For $50 more, isn't the Pixel 3 a better deal then a Pixel 3a? That is a reasonably good hardware jump even though the 3a is a good device no doubt.

Yeah, I'd go for the 3 for sure at those prices

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Costco has T-Mobile Pixel 3a for $200 B&M with activation, per slickdeals.

Is that US only?

Please make sure you guys specify country when posting these deals.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is that US only?

Please make sure you guys specify country when posting these deals.

T-Mobile is a U.S. carrier.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Charles posted:

They exist in Europe too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

They exist in Europe too.

They don't use dollars in Europe.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Charles posted:

That's not clear for people outside the US. Please mark countries when posting deals, or use the multitude of carrier-specific threads :) thanks.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

aparmenideanmonad posted:

From what I've seen of Black Friday stuff the sweet deals are all a bit more than that for getting an unlocked phone without activation. Pixel 3 is already available on Amazon for $349, and the 3a should be up for $299 soon in multiple places. Amazon warehouse does have used ones for similar prices but with a %20 coupon that works out to about $290/245 respectively.

The new Pixel 3 deal on amazon is done (BOOOOOOOO! I looked too late.) :(.
Buuuutttt, that warehouse deal looks just perfect for me. Thanks for pointing out the coupon!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Did an Android update get rid of recommended share-to apps? The share feature in Google Maps used to put my usual car nav app at the top, since I most often shared addresses to that app.

Now it just gives me a list of all possible apps, so I have to scroll a bunch to get to it each time.

I'm not sure if an update changed this, or if I accidentally disabled a feature, any tips?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

smoobles posted:

Did an Android update get rid of recommended share-to apps? The share feature in Google Maps used to put my usual car nav app at the top, since I most often shared addresses to that app.

Now it just gives me a list of all possible apps, so I have to scroll a bunch to get to it each time.

I'm not sure if an update changed this, or if I accidentally disabled a feature, any tips?

Android 10 changed the way the share menu is populated.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I had RCS enabled all week. Fiance tells me she finally got it enabled today. We go to test it out now both phones don't have it anymore. :v:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, is this the thread to ask this in? If not, please tell me where to go and I'll go ask there.

I've got a lovely old LG X Power running Android 6.0.1. Yeah, I know it's crap, I'm looking to get a new phone over the holidays. A couple days ago I began to notice a constant nagging error from Google Play Services, telling me to complete an action required by Messages. Tapping the error brings me to a screen telling me that in order to work properly, I need to allow Google Play Services to have permissions to access loving everything on my phone. Thing is, the Messages app works totally fine, and all my searching has shown so far is that it's a thing that happens, but no one seems to know how to stop it. Considering it comes up every time I interact with Messages in any way, this is annoying as hell. How do I turn this poo poo off?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fawf posted:

I just ordered my dad a 64GB Moto G7 for $99 before tax. I got it from Google Fi. You have to activate the device on the Google Fi network within 30 days of the ship date, but after that, you can cancel your Fi account the same day and use the phone on whatever network since it's unlocked.

Came across it on Slickdeals — https://slickdeals.net/f/13614049-unlocked-moto-g7-for-99-with-google-fi-activation where others confirmed that once you cancel, you don't get charged anything since you didn't actually use the service, so all you pay upfront is the $99 + tax for the phone. I also read that after you confirm activation, you can do a factory reset of the phone to get rid of the Google Fi app on the phone.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 26, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
How common is it for Pixel chargers to go kaput? The power brick that came with my wife's Pixel 2 stopped charging (confirmed by charging her phone with my Pixel XL's brick) after less than 18 months of service. Best I can guess is that one of the contacts for the USB cable broke, but it's pretty tough to see. A little annoying considering the brick that came with my Pixel XL is at least a year older and still works perfectly.

On a related note, do phone stores usually carry Google-made chargers? We're heading out of town for Thanksgiving on Wednesday but I have time to hunt one down in the city before we hit the road.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

teagone posted:

I just ordered my dad a 64GB Moto G7 for $99 before tax. I got it from Google Fi. You have to activate the device on the Google Fi network within 30 days of the ship date, but after that, you can cancel your Fi account the same day and use the phone on whatever network since it's unlocked.

Came across it on Slickdeals — https://slickdeals.net/f/13614049-unlocked-moto-g7-for-99-with-google-fi-activation where others confirmed that once you cancel, you don't get charged anything since you didn't actually use the service, so all you pay upfront is the $99 + tax for the phone. I also read that after you confirm activation, you can do a factory reset of the phone to get rid of the Google Fi app on the phone.

Thank you, this sounds perfect. :) And thanks for the folks recommending the 3a too but I was lucky to even get the meager budget I was given lol

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

Tapping the error brings me to a screen telling me that in order to work properly, I need to allow Google Play Services to have permissions to access loving everything on my phone... How do I turn this poo poo off?

What happens when you give it permission to access loving everything on the phone?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Taffer posted:

Wow if this is actually true I will strongly consider getting a Samsung phone for the first time since the galaxy nexus. The curved glass poo poo is so bad, I can't believe they did it for so long.

There are conflicting rumours about this so who knows. Others are saying the 11e will have curved glass, unlike the 10e.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

neogeo0823 posted:

How do I turn this poo poo off?

It's part of Google Android functionality. The only option is to not use Google's Android, which is probably difficult, as you'd have to find someone shipping AOSP for your phone. And then you'd have to not use any of the other services like Gmail and the play store, etc.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey, is this the thread to ask this in? If not, please tell me where to go and I'll go ask there.

I've got a lovely old LG X Power running Android 6.0.1. Yeah, I know it's crap, I'm looking to get a new phone over the holidays. A couple days ago I began to notice a constant nagging error from Google Play Services, telling me to complete an action required by Messages. Tapping the error brings me to a screen telling me that in order to work properly, I need to allow Google Play Services to have permissions to access loving everything on my phone. Thing is, the Messages app works totally fine, and all my searching has shown so far is that it's a thing that happens, but no one seems to know how to stop it. Considering it comes up every time I interact with Messages in any way, this is annoying as hell. How do I turn this poo poo off?

The play services app and the OS itself are made by the same people. They don't need to abuse permissions to spy on you or whatever because they can just bypass the permissions system entirely. Just give play services the permissions it asks for.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I'm looking for a Sprint phone in the $200 range(lower is always better) I had an LG G6 but it started boot cycling(as all my LGs do at end of life for some reason) I'd like to not take a step back if possible but it seems a flagship phone from 2 years ago is better than anything in my price range. The phones I'm considering are...

Galaxy Note 8
Used.
As old as my LG but better stats.
Unlikely to be supported going forward.

Moto G7
New
Comparable-ish stats to my LG
Is Motorola going to be around to update?

Moto G7 Power
New
A step backwards stats wise
Dat battery life tho.
Will the 720p screen bother me?

Any input please. Any phones I missed? I just started looking yesterday and this wasn't a planned expense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

RodShaft posted:

I'm looking for a Sprint phone in the $200 range(lower is always better) I had an LG G6 but it started boot cycling(as all my LGs do at end of life for some reason) I'd like to not take a step back if possible but it seems a flagship phone from 2 years ago is better than anything in my price range. The phones I'm considering are...

Galaxy Note 8
Used.
As old as my LG but better stats.
Unlikely to be supported going forward.

Moto G7
New
Comparable-ish stats to my LG
Is Motorola going to be around to update?

Moto G7 Power
New
A step backwards stats wise
Dat battery life tho.
Will the 720p screen bother me?

Any input please. Any phones I missed? I just started looking yesterday and this wasn't a planned expense.

If the battery isn't on it's last legs and the screen doesn't have any burn in, then I'd go with the Note based on specs and speed alone. My girlfriend went from an OG Pixel to a Moto X4 (similar specs to the G7) and it was a noticeably slower.

I don't know if you've accounted for this already, but google fi has a deal where an unlocked G7 can be had brand new for $100, and the Pixel 3a for $250. All you have to do is activate the phone and then promptly cancel, and at worst you'd be out $20 on top.