Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Couple of years ago Greenpeace cited Apple as being the most enviromentally friendly tech company, and back in 2013 the non-Trumpy not-corrupted EPA gave an award to Apple for Green Power leadership.

Apple has also championed LGBTQ causes, recently including pushing the Supreme Court to recognize that federal civil rights laws also extend to LGBTQ workers to protect against discrimination.

It sucks to see Timbo appearing with Trump, but I would place the blame more on Cheeto Jesus, because Cook probably had to agree to make him look good so he would grant the tariff exemptions.

He appears in that video but really not to say 'vote for big bloat here' but more 'you redstaters oughta buy Macs, your orange buddy seems to like them'

Meanwhile in Apple Hardware semi-news, identifier strings for AMD APUs have mysteriously shown up in macOS Catalina betas..

https://twitter.com/SteveMoser/status/1197250743503376389

Since AMD usually writes the drivers and they probably didn't bother to gig their development system to hide the strings, and they use the same system to generate Windows drivers, maybe it's not really significant. Maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Shaocaholica posted:

What’s the best I should expect from the MacBook/Pro used market for $400 currently?
13" 2015 8/256

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Gay Retard posted:

Yeah its gross that Apple is letting it be used as a political prop for Trump, but I'm not really surprised they're trying to lobby to remove/reduce his stupid tariffs. It's kinda funny he's so stupid that he hasn't realized the plant has been open for like 5 years.

Apple is pretty much the leader in climate change and properly procuring rare earth metals, though, so it's not hard to continue to support them over other tech companies.

For me it’s also a really big deal that they seem to have some kind of pathway for recycling the stuff at EOL. Like my 5S could have gone to kijiji for like $50-100 more than Apple offered for trade-in, but that kijiji buyer will probably just landfill it in a year and Apple will be more likely to dismantle it and dispose of it properly. That’s the marketing, at least, and I will totally pay the eco tax to roll those dice. Other companies make wireless earbuds too, but lol if you think Samsung is going to take your poo poo at its stores and divert it to somewhere to be broken down and disposed of correctly.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

It sucks to see Timbo appearing with Trump, but I would place the blame more on Cheeto Jesus, because Cook probably had to agree to make him look good so he would grant the tariff exemptions.

I mean, Cook didn't "have to" agree to anything. He could, justifiably, have told Trump to go gently caress himself. He didn't because it makes a lot more business sense not to.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
:capitalism:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If you get that 2015 rMBP 8/256 remember that you can replace Apple's tiny AHCI SSD with an off-the-shelf NVMe M.2 drive and a $20 no-name adapter from China.

The only catch other than having to use the adaptor is that you'd wanna keep the Apple OEM SSD around for BootROM updates, which will not work unless you buy a Samsung / SanDisk brand SSD. The BootROM gets updated when you upgrade, such as going from High Sierra to Mojave, and sometimes is updated on point releases and Supplemental Updates.

Otherwise, using a different SSD other than Apple's results in a faster SSD, especially with the Phison E12 based SSDs that are selling for relatively cheap ($99 for 1 TB at MicroCenter)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Shaocaholica posted:

What’s the best I should expect from the MacBook/Pro used market for $400 currently?

I just sold my 2015 13" base model on eBay -- mine went for $600, but it was in excellent condition (visually new, at a glance) and had a 6-month-old battery with only a dozen cycles on it. Based on the other auctions I saw to form a baseline asking price, you'd have to cut some corners for $400; either a dinged-up case or a battery with hundreds of cycles. Battery replacement on this model is something like $189 from Apple, so I'd personally take the "dinged-up" discount if you were to find one with a reasonably low number of cycles.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Weedle posted:

I mean, Cook didn't "have to" agree to anything. He could, justifiably, have told Trump to go gently caress himself. He didn't because it makes a lot more business sense not to.

Every US tech company still does gobs of business in Russia, who by all sensible accounts has been waging cyberwar against the US. Not only that, but Apple scrubs 100% of their lgbtq-friendly branding and materials from their products when selling there. That pride flag Watch strap? Banned, and not for sale. The pride Watch background? Not available in the Russian build of WatchOS.

Hell Apple doesn’t pay their loving taxes, just like everyone else in the Valley and no amount of indignant commentary by Tim makes that poo poo ok.

There are tons of things I want to see Silicon Valley improve on before I get super pissy at them being nice to Trump because he happens to be president.

But also gently caress Trump, gently caress his supporters, and demand more from companies.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

If you're cool like me, you'd go for a 2012 Unibody, put an SSD in it and call it a day. $400 is still probably going to net you a trashed Retina. You might luck out though, I'd troll SA-Mart, eBay, and Swappa and see what you can turn up. You can replace the SSD with an M.2 on a 2015 2013-2015 as noted.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 22, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

M.2s can be installed (with adapter) in Late 2013 to Mid 2015 rMBPs.

Edit: also Mid-2013 to 2017 MacBook Airs

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 22, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gay Retard posted:

Yeah its gross that Apple is letting it be used as a political prop for Trump, but I'm not really surprised they're trying to lobby to remove/reduce his stupid tariffs. It's kinda funny he's so stupid that he hasn't realized the plant has been open for like 5 years.

I guess it really says something that the factory can plausibly look brand-new if it's been in operation for 5 years.

I mean I feel like even Trump ought to be able to look around and think "Hmm, no ribbons to cut, signs of aging, piles of equipment in the corner, hmm this might not actually be a brand new factory"

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

lmao at the idea of trump ever giving a poo poo about objective reality

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

nitsuga posted:

If you're cool like me, you'd go for a 2012 Unibody, put an SSD in it and call it a day. $400 is still probably going to net you a trashed Retina. You might luck out though, I'd troll SA-Mart, eBay, and Swappa and see what you can turn up. You can replace the SSD with an M.2 on a 2015 2013-2015 as noted.

I grabbed a 2015 for $650 this summer. (16 gig and 128 ssd). It’s only for coffee shops and work trips (my main machine is an iMac 5k) and it works great. Some minor dings, battery life was at a 100 cycles, and I slapped a D brand skin on it and it doesn’t just look new, it looks dope. But yeah, $600 gets you a hell of machine, 400 and you’re looking at pre retina and mods.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Apple’s still doing battery replacements on mid-2013 15” MBPs, correct?

Anybody get one done recently? What was the turnaround? Is it more than 24 hours/would it be longer given the holidays?

I’m in a work crunch where I kinda can’t be without the computer for very long, but also I gotta get this battery (and top case) swapped before Apple obsolesces my baby.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Apple’s still doing battery replacements on mid-2013 15” MBPs, correct?

Anybody get one done recently? What was the turnaround? Is it more than 24 hours/would it be longer given the holidays?

I’m in a work crunch where I kinda can’t be without the computer for very long, but also I gotta get this battery (and top case) swapped before Apple obsolesces my baby.

Early 2013 rMBPs are vintaged, late 2013 rMBPs can still be serviced.

I believe they'll quote you 5 business days for the battery service, but often they'll finish faster (depends on how close the repair depot is / how busy they are). I got mine back in 3 business days (though there was a weekend inbetween): dropped it off Thursday night, was ready for pickup Tuesday early afternoon.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Cool. I’m definitely feeling the crunch to do it now tho.

With the new 16” out that hammer could drop at any time.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Spime Wrangler posted:

lmao at the idea of trump ever giving a poo poo about objective reality

for real

try following CNN’s Trump-fact-checker @ddale8 on Twitter, it’s exhausting

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

There’s a photo from a Tim Cook interview what shows what appears to be a 31 inch iMac behind him. I’m ready for it.:frogon:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Binary Badger posted:

https://twitter.com/SteveMoser/status/1197250743503376389

Since AMD usually writes the drivers and they probably didn't bother to gig their development system to hide the strings, and they use the same system to generate Windows drivers, maybe it's not really significant. Maybe.

Possibly but could also be another "Navi10" situation.
http://netkas.org/?p=1481

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What's the word on the difference between 4gb and 8gb of VRAM for the 5500M on the 16" MBP? If I get this thing I would like to do some travel gaming on it but I'm unsure how likely it is I would actually hit that cap before bottlenecking somewhere else.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fallom posted:

What's the word on the difference between 4gb and 8gb of VRAM for the 5500M on the 16" MBP? If I get this thing I would like to do some travel gaming on it but I'm unsure how likely it is I would actually hit that cap before bottlenecking somewhere else.

They don't have boot camp drivers yet

https://youtu.be/cqNYmIVCfyM

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

They don't have boot camp drivers yet

https://youtu.be/cqNYmIVCfyM

Based on the description, that guy compares the 5300 with 4gb to the 5500 with 8gb. I'm talking about comparing the 5500 with 4gb to the 5500 with 8gb.

I don't normally game in Bootcamp. Half of my Steam library supports MacOS.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Fallom posted:

Lazyhound posted:

Bare Feats has some benchmarks up, looks like the 4GB video card bottlenecks GPU-dependent apps.

eames
May 9, 2009

Yeah but we don’t know if that is because of the VRAM size or if the larger model has a wider memory bus. NVIDIA cards with fewer memory chips typically have narrower busses.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fallom posted:

It matters. There’s a few Youtube demos of the three available GPUs and I think BareFeats went into them.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fallom posted:

I wouldn't think 8GB vs 4GB would have any appreciable effect strictly within the realm of gaming performance. The GPU will surely run out of juice before the VRAM does.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

enojy posted:

I wouldn't think 8GB vs 4GB would have any appreciable effect strictly within the realm of gaming performance. The GPU will surely run out of juice before the VRAM does.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

It matters. There’s a few Youtube demos of the three available GPUs and I think BareFeats went into them.

This is killing me...I'm looking at the base model and thinking "This is pretty good, but for only $100 more I can get this... and for only $100 more I can get that..." and one thing leads to another leads to a $6,000 charge.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Recommendations for a dual display “dock” for a usbc mbp? Right now I’m using a Lenovo USB-c dual display dock in an attempt to rid myself of cable hell on my desk at work but the dock uses some DisplayPort multi stream technology that is incompatible with the Mac to where I can plug two displays in but they’re just mirrors of each other rather than two discrete displays. I’m getting around this by running one monitor off the dock and one off a standard Apple HDMI to usbc adapter. Down to two cables from the three or four I had plugged in but still not down to one.

I guess I have two options:

- find a new dock that supports dual display and is fully supported by the Mac
- find a usb3 to HDMI/DisplayPort adapter and plug that into the Lenovo dock

Recommendations for either would be appreciated. I am guessing that the usb3 to HDMI adapter might be the cheaper option since the Lenovo dock does pretty much everything else I need perfectly well. Other than the dual display.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

enojy posted:

It’s very dependent on the game (or app). When you have more VRAM capacity than the total amount of static art assets your software would like to keep on the card, the GPU can go fast since all the data it needs can be uploaded once during startup and reused during every frame. But when there isn’t enough VRAM, drivers are forced to swap data in and out of VRAM, which frequently leaves the GPU stuck waiting for a relatively slow copy across PCIe.

Most games offer graphics settings you can tweak to gain performance on a card with less VRAM, primarily texture resolution.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

enojy posted:

No way. As the poster said above, it's game-dependent, but most games made later than 2014 will be a lot more comfortable running in 8gb at anything higher than their respective "very low" graphical quality settings

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Last Chance posted:

No way. As the poster said above, it's game-dependent, but most games made later than 2014 will be a lot more comfortable running in 8gb at anything higher than their respective "very low" graphical quality settings
This is a long way from being true yet. 4Gb is going to lock you out of ultra/very high at this point if you use any MSAA, or a little more than that in very modern games, but 4GB of VRAM is still 'ok' - you might reasonably expect to lose highest quality textures in any games coming out next year, but it shouldn't be a major concern unless you're buying it to specifically game on, which is just a bad idea anyway.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Khablam posted:

This is a long way from being true yet. 4Gb is going to lock you out of ultra/very high at this point if you use any MSAA, or a little more than that in very modern games, but 4GB of VRAM is still 'ok' - you might reasonably expect to lose highest quality textures in any games coming out next year, but it shouldn't be a major concern unless you're buying it to specifically game on, which is just a bad idea anyway.

The way I think of it (and I’m not in the market for a 16”, I’m actually getting my 2013 15” fixed up) it’s a $100 difference on a $2400-2800 computer that many goons hold onto for 5+ years. If you think you might end up logging into Steam a handful of times in that period, maybe the $100 is worth it. I was pleasantly surprised earlier this year by what I could run on my 2013, but also found myself just barely missing the cutoff on a bunch of titles- and apparently VRAM count was the culprit.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I wonder is Amazon will do a BF deal on 16" MBP's...

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I only see Amazon doing deals on refurbished Macs. And by refurbished I mean the bullshit ones that wasn't done by Apple.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'd have to pay tax so that would nullify any chase points I could use...might have to just go Adorama if I decide to buy one

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They have a deal for the latest Air for $799.

Seems like a pretty decent deal IMO.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i'd pay that $800 just to not have to use the lovely keyboard that the air still has

eames
May 9, 2009

I wouldn't buy a dualcore at this point simply because there's a chance that Intel/Apple might be forced to disable HT due to speculative execution vulnerabilities in the next few years.
Quadcores and up would lose a chunk of performance but 2C/2T would become nearly unusable with a modern OS.

eames fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 27, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve been thinking about my computer situation and have decided to go with a Mac Mini. Thanks for the advice and comments earlier y’all, it helped me figure out what I really want right now. I’m going with the 1099 model + 16gb and I’m trying to see if the i7 would be worth it. If anyone has thoughts on that it would be helpful, though I may just go for it. Mainly if there’s a decent black friday weekend deal. If not I’ll probably grab one from b&h since they’ve got a discount on almost customizations. Again my main needs are music production + running the sims 4. Besides that, photo processing, some light video editing in the future and random not graphically intensive indie games would be as demanding as it gets but I don’t mind punching a little past what I need since it’s not like I’ll be upgrading the cpu down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve been thinking about my computer situation and have decided to go with a Mac Mini. Thanks for the advice and comments earlier y’all, it helped me figure out what I really want right now. I’m going with the 1099 model + 16gb and I’m trying to see if the i7 would be worth it. If anyone has thoughts on that it would be helpful, though I may just go for it. Mainly if there’s a decent black friday weekend deal. If not I’ll probably grab one from b&h since they’ve got a discount on almost customizations. Again my main needs are music production + running the sims 4. Besides that, photo processing, some light video editing in the future and random not graphically intensive indie games would be as demanding as it gets but I don’t mind punching a little past what I need since it’s not like I’ll be upgrading the cpu down the line.

I’m not an expert, but I think you’d be all right with the i5, an i7 wouldn’t hurt anything though. You may want to check out Apple’s Refurb section too. I see a bunch of Minis with 16GB of RAM in various configurations.