Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neito posted:

"Windows XP is a personal computer operating system produced by Microsoft as part of the Windows NT family of operating systems. It was released to manufacturing on August 24, 2001, and broadly released for retail sale on October 25, 2001."

The rest of those are mainline 90s though. INject it straight into my veins. (Did anyone ever sign up for that CD Club?)

God drat it :negative:

I signed up for both the Columbia House cd club AND the BMG cd club, multiple times using fake names

one time, i got two boxes of cds from BMG on the same day, under totally different names

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The other thing that was super 90s was the thick shief of dumb ads in the back of magazines, especially Computer and Video game magazines. You know, the ones with the shady devices and probably bootleg games in super tiny print, along with that one obvious scam ad to fill out the world's easiest crossword puzzle to win THE GAMING ENTERTAINMENT CENTER OF THE FUTURE?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neito posted:

The other thing that was super 90s was the thick shief of dumb ads in the back of magazines, especially Computer and Video game magazines. You know, the ones with the shady devices and probably bootleg games in super tiny print, along with that one obvious scam ad to fill out the world's easiest crossword puzzle to win THE GAMING ENTERTAINMENT CENTER OF THE FUTURE?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?

it was a total scam, as far as I know, I don't think anybody ever won a grand prize.

Edit: http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2006/11/column_game_mag_weaseling_15_y_1.php

edit 2:
i would have killed somebody for this set-up in 95 or so

this also would have owned in the early 90s

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 19:06 on Nov 21, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Randaconda posted:

it was a total scam, as far as I know, I don't think anybody ever won a grand prize.

Edit: http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2006/11/column_game_mag_weaseling_15_y_1.php

edit 2:
i would have killed somebody for this set-up in 95 or so

this also would have owned in the early 90s

You had to pay to enter? How is that legal that's a lottery lol

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
I recall there being some twisty legal justification, like it's technically not a lottery because it's skill-based and people who enter do actually get something. I also imagine they purposefully make the puzzles relatively easy so at the very end the value of the prize is split between many people who get a free eraser or something.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

God, those things must have just been 100% high-fructose corn syrup with a bit of food coloring.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Moon Slayer posted:

God, those things must have just been 100% high-fructose corn syrup with a bit of food coloring.

assuming this is right they weren't as bad for you as expected

https://mobile.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/fruit-drink?portionid=28609&portionamount=1.000

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

twistedmentat posted:

I've seen lists like "top one hit wonders of the 80s" that are nothing but New Order, depeche mode, the smiths, the cure, souxsie and the banshees, becuase they only ever had one no 1 single, even though they produced hits and well selling albums for years, even if they never had another no 1. No a one hit wonder if someone who comes out, had a HUGE MASSIVE HIT and the just never lives up to it. Imagine if Lady Gaga came out with Just Dance and then Poker Face just utterly failed. I'd also put the cavet of One Hit Wonder in your county, because I'd love to know what stuff that were huge in the US were one in the UK, i know Rage Against the Machine did that. And Blur was huge in the UK and the US only ever had Song 2 I think be a hit? If I remember Boys and Girls charted pretty high in Canada.

Maybe I'll necro it when I have some time. When I post a yt link I always try to at least lable it, if not have a personal anecdote about why i posted it.

Todd in the Shadows's one hit wonderland basically narrows it down to "Bands that are known for just one song" which helps remove well known bands that never charted well but had long critically acclaimed and successful careers. He even says himself though that its flawed with bands that barely break into the US but were massive overseas or in their home countries.

Its strange as an Australian being exposed to a lot of popular british music that you find out just never went anywhere in America. Or discovering that what you thought were well known hit songs from years ago were actually always local bands that never went anywhere in other countries.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Australia gave us Beds Are Burning, which loving owns.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Nutsngum posted:

Todd in the Shadows's one hit wonderland basically narrows it down to "Bands that are known for just one song" which helps remove well known bands that never charted well but had long critically acclaimed and successful careers. He even says himself though that its flawed with bands that barely break into the US but were massive overseas or in their home countries.

Its strange as an Australian being exposed to a lot of popular british music that you find out just never went anywhere in America. Or discovering that what you thought were well known hit songs from years ago were actually always local bands that never went anywhere in other countries.

T. Rex is a good example.

Only three T. Rex songs charted in America, Get It On peaking at #10. In the UK? 11 straight singles in the top 10. Bolan wanted the U.S. market badly, but never got it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nutsngum posted:

Fame and how it works are weird things in and of themselves but the world is a big place. Really bizarre poo poo happens. Baywatch was 90's as hell in and of itself but specifically I want to talk about David Hasselhoff. Far as most Americans are concerned he was that guy on Baywatch. He did some acting before that but that was really his big thing; to an American that's the last thing he did. He just kind of vanished off the face of the Earth.

...or did he? Apparently he's massively popular musician in Europe in general but Germany specifically. How many Americans even know he was ever a musician? One of his albums went platinum in Europe but was mostly ignored in the States.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Fame and how it works are weird things in and of themselves but the world is a big place. Really bizarre poo poo happens. Baywatch was 90's as hell in and of itself but specifically I want to talk about David Hasselhoff. Far as most Americans are concerned he was that guy on Baywatch. He did some acting before that but that was really his big thing; to an American that's the last thing he did. He just kind of vanished off the face of the Earth.

...or did he? Apparently he's massively popular musician in Europe in general but Germany specifically. How many Americans even know he was ever a musician? One of his albums went platinum in Europe but was mostly ignored in the States.

I had never heard of Todd in the shadows until the last page of this thread, but if you are trying to emulate his uniquely boring style of maudlin observation you nailed it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Todd owns, actually

hth

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

twistedmentat posted:

I'd also put the cavet of One Hit Wonder in your county, because I'd love to know what stuff that were huge in the US were one in the UK,

A whole lot of lovely hair metal bands like Motley Crue, or Poison were huge in America and had maybe one top 20 single/album elsewhere.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Motley Crue was good, though

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

:hmmyes:

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Randaconda posted:

Australia gave us Beds Are Burning, which loving owns.

yeah that episode of one hit wonderland is one of my favorites, because Midnight Oil is a really cool band and Peter Garrett owns, but as an american i just vaguely remember hearing that song on the radio a few times when i was a kid

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I mean, the quintisential version of this story is Cheap Trick, who failed in the West for years before a concert in Japan put them back on the map.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neito posted:

I mean, the quintisential version of this story is Cheap Trick, who failed in the West for years before a concert in Japan put them back on the map.

this is cheesy as hell, but i love it :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muhFxXce6nA

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It wasn’t unheard of. Aside from Knight Rider being a cult hit people remembered, Hasselhoff’s insane German music popularity was pretty well known and often spoofed. I think it Saturday Night Live (Or maybe just Norm MacDonald) made fun of it fairly often, and it was something that popped up in popular culture a fair bit (I’m sure The Simpsons did it at some point).

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
David Hasslehoff as the Coach of the German team in Dodgeball was a pretty great cameo.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ToxicSlurpee posted:

His song 'Looking For Freedom' was HUGE in Germany. It's a completely forgettable cover of an equally forgettable late 70s German original, but it just happened to be in the German charts when the Berlin Wall came down and became something of an anthem for the reunification movement.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Dec 25, 2019

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Not especially 90s. Us olds in the 80s got these:

And really olds in the 70s got these:

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Randaconda posted:

Yeah. Them, and Skid Row, at least, out of that subgenre.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Decent to goodish hair metal bands:

Bon Jovi
Motley Crue
Skid Row
Def Leppard
Van Halen/Van Hagar
GnR
Whitesnake
Poison (:colbert:)

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Anyone remember the black "MSN Premier membership" CD-ROM?

I dug this up and uploaded it, the song can only be called "Just too stupid to stop". It would play when you'd run the MSN Setup, and it's amazing. Imagine this jazz blasting at you while you installed your dial up internet service in 1996.

https://voca.ro/ONTga53GVEx

Had a really snappy video too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZRJCeJhjLw

When I was a young teenager and the only computer we'd had previously was a Tandy 1000 the fancy video demo was something that really floored me. The days of dial-up did not usually allow for such extravagances.

Thank you archive.org
https://archive.org/details/MSN_Premier_Membership_CD_93162_Microsoft_1996

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I made a point back then of poking around the directory structure of any CD-ROM I could get my hands on. So many interesting things hidden away and it was much more fun to find them by hand than dick around in the dull sampler apps.

The full version of the Windows 98 CD Sampler intro video music is called "Ludwig's Boogie" and it's fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREl_rtAYLY

This is used in the hyper-rear end video that opens for the Win98 original release CD Sampler on the install disc. The 98 SE CD Sampler is completely different.

Much lower fidelity as presented with the video though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P39WfH3nC9M

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vanagoon posted:

The full version of the Windows 98 CD Sampler intro video music is called "Ludwig's Boogie" and it's fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREl_rtAYLY

I feel like I should be fighting some gloating overlord alongside a scantily-clad black mage and someone holding a sword with a two-meter-long blade while listening to this.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I feel like I should be fighting some gloating overlord alongside a scantily-clad black mage and someone holding a sword with a two-meter-long blade while listening to this.

It isn't 90s so forgive my shitposting, but check these out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgDE3klkmtQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbgInLJ81eY

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I, too, snooped the files on cd-roms and particularly for Lucasarts games this is how you found the demos to Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle.

Another example: For the original Half-Life (and nearly any other game) you could play the soundtrack.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Gone Fashing posted:

yeah that episode of one hit wonderland is one of my favorites, because Midnight Oil is a really cool band and Peter Garrett owns, but as an american i just vaguely remember hearing that song on the radio a few times when i was a kid

Its extremely weird hearing about Midnight Oil from people in other countries as the band is so quintessentially Australian from the sound to the lyrics to the politics behind it all that they've become a cultural icon as well as a rock band. Its not the kind of thing that really translates well to overseas.

Made it weirder driving through Switzerland and suddenly Beds are Burning came on the radio.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Randaconda posted:

Decent to goodish hair metal bands:

Won't fight you over any of those, but you forgot Europe. They were not just about The Final Countdown.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groke posted:

Won't fight you over any of those, but you forgot Europe. They were not just about The Final Countdown.

I did :negative: It was just off the top of my head

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Def Lep owns, but their 80' s albums blow away everything else

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Back in 199-whatever, when Lorena Bobbit cut her husband's dick off, I remember a Song parody of 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover (by Paul Simon I think), called 50 Ways To Cleave Your Weiner.

Anyone remember that poo poo? I only ever remember hearing it on the Jessie and Gene Show on 640 AM in Toronto around that time.

I know I had it on tape, but my rear end in a top hat friend borrowed that poo poo in about 1995 and I never got it back.

I've googled it several times over the last few years and can never find it.

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Back in 199-whatever, when Lorena Bobbit cut her husband's dick off, I remember a Song parody of 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover (by Paul Simon I think), called 50 Ways To Cleave Your Weiner.

Anyone remember that poo poo? I only ever remember hearing it on the Jessie and Gene Show on 640 AM in Toronto around that time.

I know I had it on tape, but my rear end in a top hat friend borrowed that poo poo in about 1995 and I never got it back.

I remember the Bee Gees singing to the tune of You don't Know What's it like to love somebody the song with clever new lyrics you'll never know what it's like to lose your penis

Edit: just found it

https://youtu.be/sKDY-6wR8Ww

donquixotic has a new favorite as of 20:55 on Nov 23, 2019

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

wesleywillis posted:

definitely sounds like something they would have played on the bob and Tom show

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

wesleywillis posted:

Bob Rivers did a ton of those parodies back then. Maybe search with his name?

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

beefnoodle posted:

Bob Rivers did a ton of those parodies back then. Maybe search with his name?

I found out a long time ago that like 95% of those songs and bits you heard on morning radio were made by a service called PrepBurger. They would come up with a song parody or whatever and then sell it to radio stations or groups across the country. I spent most of my youth thinking Matt Patrick on 96.5 was a comedic genius... blew my mind when I found out the same stuff he was doing was being done at like 40 other radio stations in 40 other markets.

Morning radio is the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I used to listen to these two dudes called Lex and Terry back in the 90s. Haven't thought about them in probably fifteen years or more