Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

There was a good classic Chris moment during the demo, when he was talking about special spacesuits made for your spaceman to survive the cold of Microtech.

Like a planet with an atmosphere capable of supporting life can get colder than the vacuum of space, so you need an even warmer spacesuit to survive on it.

Chris once again shows off his kindergarten level of science knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

AbstractNapper posted:

We'll always have asphyxiating plastic bag dude to reminisce.

My protege.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I am amazed they didn't try to sell some TONK again now that it would make sense, when the totally innovative game mode is there

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

monkeytek posted:

If you look close, they doubled up the Avatar just before jump and she kept moving the camera to hide the black out of the jump animation due to lovely contrast controls.

I'm not sure if it was a doubling up on the character or just a fuckup in the distortion vfx on the wormhole, but it was definitely weird

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015
How can you not take a genuine look at what this is, a quarter billion dollars and 7 years, and not realize this is in no way acceptable? Like I read the Reddit for 5 minutes and the deep pit of delusion these people are in is blowing my mind.

I don't know if it is incompetent management or a long scam, but what does it matter at the end of the day when there are no results?

Jesus Christ

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

monkeytek posted:

If you look close, they doubled up the Avatar just before jump and she kept moving the camera to hide the black out of the jump animation due to lovely contrast controls.

I think this was supposed to be their space-time distortion effect.

But you know. Early days.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

There was a good classic Chris moment during the demo, when he was talking about special spacesuits made for your spaceman to survive the cold of Microtech.

Like a planet with an atmosphere capable of supporting life can get colder than the vacuum of space, so you need an even warmer spacesuit to survive on it.

:actually: you do need different sorts of suits, since you pretty much only have to worry about radiating heat in space.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

AbstractNapper posted:

Other than the wormhole, a segment two minutes too long for its own good, nothing in this demo looked original in the slightest.

It was just Freelancer HD

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Awesome! posted:

only 21k viewers for this on twitch right now. thats not great.

Exilecon was at 200k+.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Humidity.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

colonelwest posted:

I got you on this one - although I'm sure Chris doesn't know either. Heat can only transfer via conduction (physical contact), convection (gaseous contact), or radiation (very slow, almost attrition approach.) Space isn't "cold" per se - it has no temperature at all. If I heated up a rock and put it out in space, 15 minutes later it would still be warm. There's literally nowhere for the heat to go. What makes a planet cold is the temperature of the atmosphere. If it's -100 degrees, and you walk your rear end out into it unprotected, the heat in your body, via convection, instantly departs to attempt to reach equilibrium with the surrounding temperature.

The effect of objects with fluidity freezing in space is due to the actions of liquid in a vacuum. Liquids "boil off" in a vacuum, which is a reaction that runs off heat, leaving the object it boiled off (like a person) cold or frozen.

Again, Chris does not know this poo poo.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
funding today is absolutely abysmal and if they don't start pumping money into CIG it will be the worse first day of citcon funding ever

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Did they just exclude SQ42 as a topic in their convention because why not ?!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I can't imagine how man times they rehearsed that demo.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

funding today is absolutely abysmal and if they don't start pumping money into CIG it will be the worse first day of citcon funding ever

Don't worry, I'll press the emergency funding button at their self-reported funding website managed by themselves.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
citcon 2014 first day: $1,234,997
citcon 2015 first day: $1,018,295
citcon 2016 first day: $1,442,697 (Polaris pre-sale, two days before CitCon)
citcon 2017 first day: $896,567
citcon 2018 first day: $563,317
citcon 2019 first day: $101,670 current ($125,000 est)

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 23, 2019

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

MedicineHut posted:

Where is SQ42?

They raised $46 million to market the launch next year. But they don’t want to give away spoilers.

Big takeaways?

The first completely Sandi-free CitizenCon. Blame Forbes and Bootcha for doing Derek Smart’s secret bidding. You bastards! Now she’s left only with millions upon millions to show for all the work she pretended to do. Her next mission? Become Hollywood’s most aggressive stage mom as she and Chris push the kids to follow in her footsteps. (That Chris didn’t even mention it seems especially strange but I’m not sure her absence will be mourned except by the Boo Huxleys out there...)

Chris’s wrap-up. Have you ever seen him so gracious? He went to greater pains than usual to thank employees and customers. Unlike last year, which saw the Level Documentary and a lot of costly hype at their biggest venue ever, this courted outsiders not one bit. Cherish what you have, Chris — they got you further than you deserve!

No Squadron. No mentions. No updates. No nothing.

The Adventure Ahead Some beautiful stuff, truly, but drat this is the sloggiest gameplay vision ever. The verse just feels big beautiful and dead. Despite what Tony prattled about it feels like the AI you’ll be experiencing in game is just other players doing whatever they want. Sometimes. For those who want a high fidelity, low fun simulator built around macrotransactions, this sorta might fit the bill one day. But drat what a wasted opportunity.

This was a pretty dull year of treading water. Targets constantly missed and fun still in short supply. They doesn’t look like it changes with the addition of Pyro, whenever that happens. Seeing the wormhole navigation actually sort of following Chris Olivia’s mockups from 2014 only reminded one that “try to not to fall out of the tunnel” is only slightly less boring than 20 minute travel times.

I don’t believe their linear customer growth modeling at all. Still feels like 2016 was the peak of customer growth and maybe Chris figured that out by 2018. They’ve at least stopped using gimmicks like Sandworms to juice the excitement. Now it’s “if you drop a coffee mug on a planet and leave it’ll stay where you left it for a long time.”

This felt like a desperate and defeated fan hangout. Even if those attending had a blast.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
november 2012: $3,434,340
november 2013: $7,871,634
november 2014: $6,101,678
november 2015: $5,358,817
november 2016: $7,776,767
november 2017: $6,013,417
november 2018: $7,971,821
november 2019: $1,649,947 current ($2,200,000 est)

if the trend continues it will be the worst november they've ever had by far

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Popete posted:

10 minutes of Chris tooting his own horn and thanking everyone for this totally not at all staged gameplay demo that you'll definitely get to experience soon

Is this before or after they patch in the sandworms ?

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

TheAgent posted:

november 2012: $3,434,340
november 2013: $7,871,634
november 2014: $6,101,678
november 2015: $5,358,817
november 2016: $7,776,767
november 2017: $6,013,417
november 2018: $7,971,821
november 2019: $1,649,947 current ($2,200,000 est)

if the trend continues it will be the worst november they've ever had by far

Are people literally into this game in 6 figures by this point? Who is giving them 2 million dollars a month? This is breaking my brain please help

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Nyast posted:

Is this before or after they patch in the sandworms ?

Wait, wait - I got it. A "sandwormhole."

Chris send me my check pls.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

torturemyballs posted:

Are people literally into this game in 6 figures by this point? Who is giving them 2 million dollars a month? This is breaking my brain please help
yes, theres at least one backer thats in for $150,000

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

G0RF posted:

They raised $46 million to market the launch next year. But they don’t want to give away spoilers.

Big takeaways?

The first completely Sandi-free CitizenCon. Blame Forbes and Bootcha for doing Derek Smart’s secret bidding. You bastards! Now she’s left only with millions upon millions to show for all the work she pretended to do. Her next mission? Become Hollywood’s most aggressive stage mom as she and Chris push the kids to follow in her footsteps. (That Chris didn’t even mention it seems especially strange but I’m not sure her absence will be mourned except by the Boo Huxleys out there...)

Chris’s wrap-up. Have you ever seen him so gracious? He went to greater pains than usual to thank employees and customers. Unlike last year, which saw the Level Documentary and a lot of costly hype at their biggest venue ever, this courted outsiders not one bit. Cherish what you have, Chris — they got you further than you deserve!

No Squadron. No mentions. No updates. No nothing.

The Adventure Ahead Some beautiful stuff, truly, but drat this is the sloggiest gameplay vision ever. The verse just feels big beautiful and dead. Despite what Tony prattled about it feels like the AI you’ll be experiencing in game is just other players doing whatever they want. Sometimes. For those who want a high fidelity, low fun simulator built around macrotransactions, this sorta might fit the bill one day. But drat what a wasted opportunity.

This was a pretty dull year of treading water. Targets constantly missed and fun still in short supply. They doesn’t look like it changes with the addition of Pyro, whenever that happens. Seeing the wormhole navigation actually sort of following Chris Olivia’s mockups from 2014 only reminded one that “try to not to fall out of the tunnel” is only slightly less boring than 20 minute travel times.

I don’t believe their linear customer growth modeling at all. Still feels like 2016 was the peak of customer growth and maybe Chris figured that out by 2018. They’ve at least stopped using gimmicks like Sandworms to juice the excitement. Now it’s “if you drop a coffee mug on a planet and leave it’ll stay where you left it for a long time.”

This felt like a desperate and defeated fan hangout. Even if those attending had a blast.

You forgot the Idris. Which they showcased last year; still absent and nowhere to be seen.
Also no gunfights, just boring turreted chase section.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

commando in tophat posted:

I am amazed they didn't try to sell some TONK again now that it would make sense, when the totally innovative game mode is there
I always thought that since EA did that star wars battlefront thing it would be fine for Chris to make his new gamemode p2w but really it isn't even p2w because it's just a game mode. It's not the PU which Chris would never make p2w. If anything plebs with their starter rock melee weapon should be grateful for the experience of being crushed by my tank as they are getting to test new systems for free that will make the PU better. They can always grind under my tank tracks for a few weeks to earn a pistol that they can use to shoot basic rock wielders. Tony Z trickledown economics.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
So I finished watching the presentation.

What was your favorite moment ?

Mine was during the escape when he chocked a guard to death, left the corpse on the doorway in the field of view of 3 running guards that conveniently ignored it.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Nyast posted:

Mine was during the escape when he chocked a guard to death, left the corpse on the doorway in the field of view of 3 running guards that conveniently ignored it.

mine was going outside in -100c weather without gloves

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Nyast posted:

I liked the exciting melee take down, when he pressed a button and the enemy suddenly froze then flew 12 feet away and collapsed on the floor. I’m sure years of mocap work went into making this look worse than something from 2006.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6DjRUNq3lw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyPf95HkRK8

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

YoudaMVP, Tippis!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Goddamnit that was so loving fake. They even admitted that it's all done for the sake of the demo, since the "temperature system" doesn't work for hot temperatures, only for cold ones :laffo:
I'm so glad I only caught the tail end of the presentation. I loving laughed out loud when the karate move ragdolled the guy across the room. I almost fell asleep during the totally original, not ripped off The Force Awakens turret shooting section - getting to the turret was more exciting, cause we weren't sure that nothing will clip through and kill the player.

But the most baffling thing is how far away all of this is! Like they've been talking about stuff that's coming out in the next 7 months! Any other convention would have stuff coming out next week tops! And some other thing to show today! I know that in the Star Citizen development lifecycle this is actually very close but it boggles the mind all the same.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

colonelwest posted:

They just don’t give a poo poo anymore, the whole thing was just like “whelp we ain’t got nothing but another empty planet, so give us more money you fucks so we can keep going for another year!”

They are really dialing it back and just getting everyone acclimated to their glacial drip feed of lovely content. There weren’t even any promises of it getting better in the future.

Funny and ironic is that buying more ships is completely rewriting everything of the past. The goal of spending now is helping CIG to stretch development more years.

Originally we come from the poll that asked if backers wanted additional stretch goals in exchange for releasing the game "sooner rather than later".

Finally there is one very important element – the more funds we can raise in the pre-launch phase, the more we can invest in additional content (more ships, characters etc.) and perhaps more importantly we can apply greater number of resources to the various tasks to ensure we deliver the full functionality sooner rather than later.

Spending more money was an argument for releasing everything FASTER.

This is a scam.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
No wait gently caress that, the most baffling thing is that we have just seen one mission for the MMO. One! And this is supposed to be the "simple" stuff, like "bring me four bear asses" in WoW stuff! This took so long in preparation and execution, what the hell are they thinking? It probably pays out like poo poo too, goddamn.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Nyast posted:

Mine was star of the show, Glenn. Honorable mentions to twitch chat railing on him for using a controller, staring at his feet, moving too slowly, not paying attention to Chris who wanted him to look out a window, struggling with the UI to pick up and put things down.

But it has to be when the UI completely bugged out and he was fumbling around pushing all the buttons and Genius Chris strode over telling him to press the I button, then leaning over the keyboard to push the I button himself because loving Glenn, amirite? Only for the I button not to work and Chris to waddle off. I think someone in the audience told Glenn to toggle the mopyglass because the only people that have ever attempted to actually play the game were paying audience members.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
Oh sorry. There was a cop out. “PERHAPS” 😂

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
"Early days"

Chris Roberts

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks
Citcon in 3 images:

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Koil posted:

Citcon in 3 images:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Koil posted:

Citcon in 3 images:

LMAO! :D

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

quote:

“Do you think AAA games using never before seen tech just come into being by Chris clicking his fingers and a game appears? No, it takes hundreds of people years of hard work to make.”

https://reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/e0or4y/nothing_about_sq42/f8fmtdj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Koil posted:

Citcon in 3 images:

Is... Is that real?

I mean, we know there are/were goons on the team thanks to the :iiam: printout.