Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

got to give Tulsi credit I think she is the first to acknowledge the US might be behind this.

she’s not terribly consistent but still

Did she really acknowledge it though? She said it was a coup, but she didn't necessarily take the stance that the US was involved, just that it shouldn't be. She could just mean in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sleeptalker posted:

Did she really acknowledge it though? She said it was a coup, but she didn't necessarily take the stance that the US was involved, just that it shouldn't be. She could just mean in the future.

I mean realistically that’s as close as you are gonna get

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Cool that Ayanna Pressley recognizes the coup but the person she endorsed for president doesn't.
Yeah this is the best we’re going to be getting I guess even though most of these people, after acknowledging the coup, called for free and fair elections, ignoring that they’d just had those, and the right eating poo poo in them is why they did the coup to begin with.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
didn't see this bit of death squad action

https://twitter.com/AgenciaElVigia/status/1197679159985750016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fast Luck posted:

Good idea

Has this been posted? The right wing press literally acting as footsoldiers for the dictatorship
https://twitter.com/OVargas52/status/1197892572561203200

This is why you have to purge the right-wingers from all institutions (and ideally from this mortal plane).

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Death to the collaborator press. They deserve to be flayed and eaten by dogs. Every day I grow closer to the light of the DotP

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the Colombian police have already managed to kill a couple people in a strike that's been ongoing for less than 48 hours

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

This is why you have to purge the right-wingers from all institutions (and ideally from this mortal plane).

Evergreen quote from Parenti about how freedom of speech for liberals means freedom for fascists and nazis to print their own newspapers

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

looks like the mainstream media has finally decided to report on the slaughter of protestors and has also acknowledged that la paz is completely cut off. NYT/wapo/CNN are all mentioning a meeting between anez and "opposition groups" tomorrow, so this is probably when mesa swoops in to appoint himself the reasonable centrist dictatorpresident who will heal the country's wounds.

let the fascists take the initial heat and then ransack the country with neoliberalism after you take over.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

looks like the mainstream media has finally decided to report on the slaughter of protestors and has also acknowledged that la paz is completely cut off. NYT/wapo/CNN are all mentioning a meeting between anez and "opposition groups" tomorrow, so this is probably when mesa swoops in to appoint himself the reasonable centrist dictatorpresident who will heal the country's wounds.

let the fascists take the initial heat and then ransack the country with neoliberalism after you take over.

god you're so loving right. gently caress. jesus loving christ. poo poo. that's exactly what's going to happen

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

Who is Mesa? :(

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lawman 0 posted:

Who is Mesa? :(

guy who lost the election to Morales

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

guy who lost the election to Morales

Oh ok I was confused thanks

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Yeah I was actually thinking of Mesa earlier when someone brought up Camacho and I said something similar. I think that's what they're trying to pull off. The interim guys being extra bad helps their strategy -- he'll look better by comparison.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

the Colombian police have already managed to kill a couple people in a strike that's been ongoing for less than 48 hours

Bit of a change though, in Colombia the right prefers to murder people before hand to stop strikes from happening at all

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Mesa President Binks

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Al! posted:

my biggest problem with greenwald is hiring dipshits like lee fang
idk about lee fang, but greenwald is not the intercept. the intercept is loaded with russiagater idiots and if glenn really had the control liberals think he had would glenn want to sully his reputation by being surrounded by extremely gullible idiots calling themselves journalists

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crazy idea but how about just reinstating the guy who was elected president via free and fair election

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing

Addamere posted:

Crazy idea but how about just reinstating the guy who was elected president via free and fair election

a neoliberal reading of the consitutions of latin american countries always turns up a clause about how the official opposition leader is actually automatically the legitimate leader if you feel like it

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1197992922966380544

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
When I say "death to the collaborator media," for the record, I also mean CNN

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

unwantedplatypus posted:

When I say "death to the collaborator media," for the record, I also mean CNN

Imagine wanting CNN to continue to exist.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
A tentative agreement for new elections has been reached. The UN will oversee them and help run them, and Morales will not be allowed to run.

https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/United-Nations-Presents-a-Peace-Building-Agreement-for-Bolivia-20191123-0003.html

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Mister Bates posted:

A tentative agreement for new elections has been reached. The UN will oversee them and help run them, and Morales will not be allowed to run.

https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/United-Nations-Presents-a-Peace-Building-Agreement-for-Bolivia-20191123-0003.html

Bullshit.

The outcome is preordained

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

Bullshit.

The outcome is preordained

Indeed

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

WHERE DID EVO HIDE THE MONEY?!??

...woooof?

*waterboards the border collie*

:d2a:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mister Bates posted:

I absolutely believe MAS will win the elections, but the right wing coup people will never respect the results.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Mister Bates posted:

MAS must refuse. the coupists are scared, La Paz is under siege.

It would be bad strategy to agree to surrender.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

Venom Snake posted:

I absolutely believe MAS will win the elections, but the right wing coup people will never respect the results.

Without Morales and several other key members, who still have most wanted cards out for them like in Iraq, MAS will win a majority but not outright win in the first round, because even with Morales it was a close win, and the "democratic opposition" is just gonna work with the fascists in the second round and win the run off. That was Mesa's play the last time, before he, like every other centrist before him, got pushed to the side by the fascists he aligned with and Añez ended up as "president"

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spice World War II posted:

Without Morales and several other key members, who still have most wanted cards out for them like in Iraq, MAS will win a majority but not outright win in the first round, because even with Morales it was a close win, and the "democratic opposition" is just gonna work with the fascists in the second round and win the run off. That was Mesa's play the last time, before he, like every other centrist before him, got pushed to the side by the fascists he aligned with and Añez ended up as "president"

I don't know if this entire conflict has made people like the right-wing and centrists more. Do you?

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

PawParole posted:

MAS must refuse. the coupists are scared, La Paz is under siege.

It would be bad strategy to agree to surrender.

I kinda hope I am wrong, but I think they will accept. Morales and MAS have seemed seriously concerned about the blood toll this whole conflict was going to take from the Bolivian people from the very beginning. I don't think they want to continue to literally feed their supporters to the fire. Military and police had already shown long before they officially deserted that they were not gonna protect any indigenous communities (hospitals and schools burned down etc), and post coup they have made very clear that they are absolutely willing to use lethal force. The coup has de facto silenced all alternative media, and the public narrative is that the MAS are threatening to starve thousands of innocent Bolivians for their drug lord boss, and if you look at cell phone videos from "bystanders" in La Paz office towers they all seem extremely surprised at the ants on the street being tear gassed, but there isn't really a sense of outrage.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Venom Snake posted:

I don't know if this entire conflict has made people like the right-wing and centrists more. Do you?

There's probably a lot of scared honkies in La Paz who were quaking in their apartments at the sight of indigenos marching down the streets, who are more willing to vote for "no MAS"

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

Venom Snake posted:

Well, you have to keep in mind that the people that supported Mesa and his unholy Santa Cruz Allies, knew very well who they were supporting in the first round. All the racism and hatred was on very public display for the last 14 years. So, I see no reason why the outright fascists would have any less supporters than before, and the "centrist" Mesa supporters were already willing to make a deal with them the last time around, and were more than happy about the coup when it happened. Somehow I don't think a bunch of dead indians will suddenly change their minds when putting them back into their place (as god intended) was pretty much part of the platform of your coalition.

Hell I read an article written by a Mesa supporter for a German agency where he literally complained that "the indigenous people showed an unbecoming sense of triumph" in the last decade, so it all kinda was their own fault in the end.

I mean, if they don't meddle any more (lol) than just banning the best MAS candidates, it will still be close probably, but there was a real danger for Morales in a second round the last time, which is why just "proving" a run off was necessary was the OAS playbook from the start. So I am not sure that MAS can win a second round with an unknown candidate

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Mister Bates posted:

On what grounds would Evo be barred if term limits are unconstitutional in Bolivia?

Other than might makes right obviously.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
fundamentally they can’t back down from the he was a tyrant defense.

Though the fact they are saying it was a coup but the factions involved aren’t barred is surely just an oversight

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Liberalism can only work by dismissing the contradictions in favor of some notion of incremental progress. Like, their moral worldview is absolutist in the sense that every evil is absolutely evil and requires immediate action to correct it - except when it comes to the evils we're responsible for, because doing anything about it would require violence and hurting people is evil. So overthrowing democratically elected left wing governments or right wing dictatorships is a necessary good because it's all premised on the idea that progress can't happen until you empower people who conveniently fall in line with the Washington Consensus. It doesn't matter that objectively, foreign interventionism produces way worse outcomes than the status quo almost every single time - because like Ytlaya said, they only care about whatever makes them feel good at the moment.

But if you make a clear case that this is all part of an imperial project that's objectively bad, and we have to overthrow the US government then suddenly the moral absolutism gives way to political pragmatism and the moral certitude that political violence is always bad. It was hard for me to even compose this post because I couldn't make all of these contradictions fit neatly into a satisfying structure to read - but that's just the inescapable fact of the matter. Liberalism perpetuates itself by ignoring the contradictions until they ball up into a massive Gordion Knot that can only be cleaved with the sword of The Immortal Science.

On the other hand you also have conservatives and other reactionaries who externalize the contradictions onto a "degenerate element" that only needs to be defeated for everything to fall into the correct order. From that standpoint all forms of political violence are objectively correct, because the contradictions can only be subsumed with force. That may be stupid and evil, but it's simple enough to make sense. Liberalism doesn't make any sense because it's the edifice of bourgeois class power. A 300 year tradition of contradictory moralizing that stops making sense with any kind of scrutiny.

And that swords name was mohamed ata

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There's probably a lot of scared honkies in La Paz who were quaking in their apartments at the sight of indigenos marching down the streets, who are more willing to vote for "no MAS"

That sounds correct, though I'd be interested in what the MAS leaders on the ground are thinking about this. It does give time for the left to prepare, right now on the ground it seems clear that the coup forces could hold onto what they had but expand no further.

Also I don't know if it's been asked but what do the unions think of this? They've been as much leaders of the opposition to the coup as the MAS legislative people have

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Fast Luck posted:

Good idea

Has this been posted? The right wing press literally acting as footsoldiers for the dictatorship
https://twitter.com/OVargas52/status/1197892572561203200

imagining lib reporters watching this and fuming with jealousy that they can't yet do the same to glenn

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Dreddout posted:

And that swords name was mohamed ata

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
https://twitter.com/victori7x/status/1198365239638724610