Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Random:

1) Maybe part of the reason Citcon 2018 was so extravagant was to assure the Calders their recent investment was a safe bet. The Summer of 2018 - right after the deal was sealed - was a pretty terrible time for the brand. The PC Gaming Show amongst other things. They took a lot of hits all the way through paywallgate, at which point Chris seemed to get a little more careful.

2) Remember a few years back when the thread largely agreed that Sandi would be the canary in the coal mine? That she’d stick around as long as the getting was good and bug out only if it started looking risky (to her) to stay?

3) Bootcha’s last SGC alerted backers to the worrying possibility that Chris and Sandi both were distancing themselves from the project. Sandi’s absence today, while lamented by no one, probably has some whales a little nervous. Maybe Chris, too. She’s always been a great heat sink when backers get mad or disappointed by marketing events.

4) 2019 has been a fantastically dismal year, but they’ve had bad years before. What’s different about this year is that CitizenCon always helped refuel backer hype drives. Maybe it did again (I haven’t looked at Reddit since it ended) but it sure felt like a pretty lukewarm event to me. The eventual addition of Pyro notwithstanding, Star Citizen really feels like its contracting, receding. It felt that way to goons starting a few years ago, and to Joe Q. Gamer by 2017, but I mean I bet it feels that way to a lot of Believers now, too.

5) I’m very surprised they didn’t even offer a Squadron teaser. That plus the Roadmap drift sends a pretty grim signal.

6) Again, Chris’s show wrap-up felt... I dunno... Wistful, maybe? He tends to be slaphappy and dole out his thanks glibly to employees and fans. Maybe I’m seeing things that aren’t there but he seemed more sincere than his usual self. Remember how the 2017 Holiday Livestream has its own weird and very introductory vibe, like it was targeted not at backers or even general gamers but at something more institutional? And then the Calders invested? The wrap-up felt weird in very different and more intimate way. I don’t want to go too far out on a limb but I wonder if there’s some big changes baked in the cake that backers can’t know until the selling season is done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

starkebn posted:

Has the battlefield clone been on any of their timelines put out in the last 9 months?

Nope, the first we heard of it was goons theorycrafting it after TheAgent mentioned new game modes

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Bagman and Bearman are the heroes we deserve for putting up with this tripe. I'd never seen any CitizenCons before; i hope the previous ones were not this shockingly bad. Occasional nice VFX could not make up for the constant blunders.

You mean bad? Or bad that provided more laughs?

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
Oh dear

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Games > Star Citizen: Crouching Bagman, Hidden Crobear

Colostomy Bag posted:

You mean bad? Or bad that provided more laughs?

Awful, terrible, no good.

Although I hope the previous ones were funnier too.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Awful, terrible, no good.

Although I hope the previous ones were funnier too.

Oh they were much funnier. This one was mostly a boring morass. The mosaic and a cosplay segment bailed it out.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

:(

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

G0RF posted:

Random:
The wrap-up felt weird in very different and more intimate way. I don’t want to go too far out on a limb but I wonder if there’s some big changes baked in the cake that backers can’t know until the selling season is done?

It sounded as an apology for the bad news that is coming, maybe even already about to break. The news being the end of SC/CIG. One of my employers went bankrupt and I've seen this before. The knowing that you're about to let everyone down. Your staff, your customers, your investors/financers, the lot. So thanking them for all the support over the years, being nice and kind etc.

It's over. The BDSSE will never see the light. The dream is gone. And Chris knows it. Once he starts announcing that there will be drastic cutbacks and layoffs, backers will realise the money is gone and he's doing this to keep afloat according to his Kickstarter promise and thus can't be sued (yet). That'll be the end of sales. Which will be the end of it all.

At the least, he knows this was the last Citizen Con. There won't be a 2020 edition.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
holy poo poo the bear made it into the loving mosaic

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

TheAgent posted:

citcon 2014 first day: $1,234,997
citcon 2015 first day: $1,018,295
citcon 2016 first day: $1,442,697 (Polaris pre-sale, two days before CitCon)
citcon 2017 first day: $896,567
citcon 2018 first day: $563,317
citcon 2019 first day: $101,670 current ($125,000 est)

Yeah what’s with the lack of ship bling?

What even happened to the Mole?

Kind of weird. (Are they actually prioritising SQ42 over a second advert?)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You know, Crobbers kinda looks like Winnie the Pooh

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

mjotto posted:

It sounded as an apology for the bad news that is coming, maybe even already about to break. The news being the end of SC/CIG. One of my employers went bankrupt and I've seen this before. The knowing that you're about to let everyone down. Your staff, your customers, your investors/financers, the lot. So thanking them for all the support over the years, being nice and kind etc.

It's over. The BDSSE will never see the light. The dream is gone. And Chris knows it. Once he starts announcing that there will be drastic cutbacks and layoffs, backers will realise the money is gone and he's doing this to keep afloat according to his Kickstarter promise and thus can't be sued (yet). That'll be the end of sales. Which will be the end of it all.

At the least, he knows this was the last Citizen Con. There won't be a 2020 edition.

I got the same vibe from it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

yikes things not going well

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Koil posted:

I believe it is. The image is from CIG twitter account: https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1198365795643985921

Ha ha ha...It’s all been worth it for this.

And if any CIG employees read this, of course that’s a photoshop *cough* just leave it up.

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

mjotto posted:

I'm sure he compensated himself and his inner circle quite well for their hard work though, right? Anyone know how much he's banked from this dumpster fire?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

torturemyballs posted:

I'm sure he compensated himself and his inner circle quite well for their hard work though, right? Anyone know how much he's banked from this dumpster fire?

Pretty sure Chris, Sandi, and Eric are all millionaires by now.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
Wait, did they not even sell the new ship? Did they accidentally only book the venue for the first day of a planned two day event?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

:five:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

bbchops posted:

Wait, did they not even sell the new ship? Did they accidentally only book the venue for the first day of a planned two day event?

Doesn't matter - they had enough made up bullshit and meaningless nerd padding to keep that sweet whale blubber plentiful

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

is satellite high still around? its time for roll call

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

mjotto posted:

I didn’t want to come out and say it but this was the first CitizenCon where it kinda felt that way. Or at the very least, like Chris’s last one in the driver’s seat.

No Sandi. No Squadron. Was there even the obligatory birthday cake and song?

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Oh good, a brief 11 minute recap of the annual developments for one of the most uninspired and boring digital terrenes to have been aborted from an aging fragmented min... zzz
...No I do not want buy the timeshares in the mountainside port Chris... zzz

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Mr.PayDay posted:

Did they just exclude SQ42 as a topic in their convention because why not ?!

They can't say anything at all about SQ42 even though it's due to enter beta next year, because it would be a spoiler.

Specifically, this spoiler: SQ42 will not enter beta next year.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

(I haven’t looked at Reddit since it ended)

They are basically taking turns to suck Tony Z's dick.

They cannot help but to be attracted to dreams.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

trucutru posted:

They are basically taking turns to suck Tony Z's dick.

They cannot help but to be attracted to dreams.

Who can blame them? The economy and agent sim in Cities Skylines is a reasonably important part of what makes that game great, and he made a mini-version of a small segment of that sim. This make it by far the most complex and coherent thing to ever come out of the CIG offices, so of course they're elated that one of “their guys” finally managed to pull off such a spectacular feat.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I have my story.

Now I just need to figure out how to tell it.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

It's the slow build up of condensation on the inside. Bagman is the hero of the entire event.

Poor bugger was slowly suffocating during the whole thing.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

G0RF posted:

I didn’t want to come out and say it but this was the first CitizenCon where it kinda felt that way. Or at the very least, like Chris’s last one in the driver’s seat.

No Sandi. No Squadron. Was there even the obligatory birthday cake and song?

At the very end, just before they showed the last of the gameplay, Chris said and I quote: "and um, well this is, the end" and the way he said it was very odd, there was a finality to the intonation, like he meant overall rather than just the event.

It was very weird.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Sabreseven posted:

It's the slow build up of condensation on the inside. Bagman is the hero of the entire event.

Imagine seeing this picture without context, and trying to reverse engineer what is going on.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
I know what's going on and it still breaks my brain.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Sabreseven posted:

Hypoxia often causes giddiness (and mild hallucinations!), so he was probably having the most fun of anybody at CitCon.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Beet Wagon posted:

Nope, the first we heard of it was goons theorycrafting it after TheAgent mentioned new game modes

Open development by Chris Roberts

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
We need to find a way to make exasperated_chris_sigh.mp3 play when you open the thread.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
I can tell SC is dying, we generated way fewer pages than any other CitizenCon :(

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Chris was just being wistful because 2020 will be the year of SquadCon instead.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

monkeytek posted:

I can tell SC is dying, we generated way fewer pages than any other CitizenCon :(

Nobody gives a poo poo any more. Not even the citizens. The citizencon thread on their subreddit generated less than 300 posts, and any time I looked at the official stream only like 28k people were watching. Granted that wasn't during the keynote, but overall this Citizencon hasn't generated nearly as much interest as the last.

People just don't care any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Koil posted:

Citcon in 3 images:

:laugh: