Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd love if by the time of Prince of Persia The Forgotten Game the other characters were just tired of him. "You need to stop loving with sand and time mate, You've made quite the mess and none of us know how to fix it." "I can freeze time though and platform on water features!" "That's exactly what I mean! STOP DOING THAT!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Harry Windsor of the Persian royal family is a perfect description.

Unrelated but who the hell keeps brewing coffee and sliding it over to Godot?? Is there someone just out of frame with a pour over kit or...?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd love if by the time of Prince of Persia The Forgotten Game the other characters were just tired of him. "You need to stop loving with sand and time mate, You've made quite the mess and none of us know how to fix it." "I can freeze time though and platform on water features!" "That's exactly what I mean! STOP DOING THAT!"

The Prince in 2008 isn't the same Prince as the Prince in the Sands trilogy! He's an entirely different Prince of an entirely different Persia!

Sands is on GoG but the port doesn't want to play nice with my 360 controller... Guess I could always dig out the actual 360...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Phy posted:

The Prince in 2008 isn't the same Prince as the Prince in the Sands trilogy! He's an entirely different Prince of an entirely different Persia!

Sands is on GoG but the port doesn't want to play nice with my 360 controller... Guess I could always dig out the actual 360...

I was referring to the other 360 game, Forgotten Sands, which I think is supposed to be the same guy. I was dunking on it by calling it The Forgotten Game. It's a dubiously-canonical fourth game set between Sands and Warrior. It's kind of amazing, you just proved my zinger by forgetting it existed and thinking I meant PoP 2008.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 23:47 on Nov 23, 2019

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Man, I didn't even know about that one. Forgotten indeed.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I remember it being fun, you got to freeze time to platform on water, like wall jumping up waterfalls and swinging on jets of water that shot out of walls.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

The outer worlds quest to get Parvati a girlfriend is so sweet and cute I can barely take it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

*just kind of vaguely waves at every mechanic implemented in the MGSV missions again, finally settling on the 6 Million Dollar Man sound effect when you deck someone with your robot arm*

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I think what really sold me on MGSV was being able to knock a guy out, and then having my horse come over and take a nice big dump on him.

Then my dog getting a sweet outfit and a taser. Such a great game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Zombie Guy posted:

I think what really sold me on MGSV was being able to knock a guy out, and then having my horse come over and take a nice big dump on him.

Then my dog getting a sweet outfit and a taser. Such a great game.

I love it so much, the game has its problems overall but on a pure gameplay level I'm not sure there's anything that I like more. And I don't even like stealth games as a rule.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Forgotten Sands was really good, and I wish it was better received. My favorite little thing about it was that gaining xp was a plot point.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Captain Hygiene posted:

I love it so much, the game has its problems overall but on a pure gameplay level I'm not sure there's anything that I like more. And I don't even like stealth games as a rule.

MGSV is nearly a perfect game to me.

I just wish the base was integrated into the map so that you had a reason to build defenses and all that. I didn't like the online shenanigans that involved it.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

orcane posted:

On a conceptual level I can appreciate the design of BRD (and the follow-ups in BRS), it would be great as a location in a single player or co-op/PnP RPG. You can see that BRD is supposed to be broken up into multiple, seperate dungeon crawls exploring the various parts of the capital city of the evil dwarves, but that is at odds with the way MMOs are played. For the more casual WoW players who didn't raid, BRD covered the last stretch of leveling and the early endgame, but by the time people arrive in MMO "endgames" they don't care about the exploration aspects that make BRD great for long. They want to farm dungeons for XP and loot in an efficient way, and here we have a sprawling hub-like dungeon that spans like 10 levels and could take multiple hours to clear entirely. BRD was fine for the first time through, but afterwards it becomes a chore - especially with new/bad people, in a version of the game where you can't just pull up a dungeon finder to replace someone who had to leave for work halfway through. The "gamified" design of separate, compact dungeon wings the game used for future content is less immersive, sadly, but it's also way more manageable for people who can't spend an entire evening in a single dungeon (and you still might not finish it, or your task).

When forming a group, most people advertise what they want out of BRD. LFG BRD Emp run princess dies/lives, BRD Angerforge+arena reset farms, BRD low-level quest run no Emp, etc. Just have to be organized about it and know what you want out of it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Professor Wayne posted:

Forgotten Sands was really good, and I wish it was better received. My favorite little thing about it was that gaining xp was a plot point.

as someone who will never play the game, i would love to know more

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Dash Rendar posted:

as someone who will never play the game, i would love to know more

The game has you and your beefy brother accidentally unleashing a sand plague that makes (and turns people into?) sand beasts in the city the two of you are invading.
As a part of unleashing it, you each get a magic sword that makes you immune to the sand plague. Killing sand beasts absorbs it into your magic sword and gives you XP.

The game separates the Prince from his brother but while the Prince is mostly doing his usual acrobatics and fighting enemies now and then as you expect, his Bro has decided to play this poo poo like it's Dynasty Warriors and mow enemies down as he goes from place to place since he's not too big on parkour. When he pops up now and then in the background and in cutscenes you can see he's actually getting the 'XP acquired' animation that you might have assumed is just for you.

Two-thirds of the way through the game, you actually work with him to defeat the source of the Plague. But at this point he's mad with power and refuses to relinquish all the sweet XP he's gotten in the form of leaving his sword in place as a seal, making him the final boss that you have to chase to the end of the game.

bewilderment has a new favorite as of 11:28 on Nov 24, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One thing I really appreciate about Death Stranding that I also liked about Control is just how accepting everyone is of the 'new normal', by which I mean zombie ghosts, super-aging rain and the like. Sam finds all of this Death Stranding stuff beyond his comprehension but everyone who's making an effort to understand it is treating it like a science experiment. It's got that same feeling as the FBC in Control where all the crazy poo poo that happens at the bureau is just everyday life for the people that work there- if you had to deal with zombie ghosts from another dimension every time you went to the market, you'd probably get used to it pretty quick too. Even Sam himself totally buys whatever people tell him because what's he gonna do, question the logic of time traveling zombie ghosts? You COULD chalk it up to Reedus no-selling his performance but I think he's really strong in some scenes so imo it was an intentional choice.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I didn't get too far before I stopped playing, but I liked that Control starts with "I'mma break into this government black ops facility to find my brother..." and suddenly less than an hour later it's just "Wait, I'm now the boss of this place, and everyone's just telling me all this cool top-secret poo poo? OK, guess on top of my brother, I'm also saving this place too..."

Also Blue Dragon has the same twist idea as forgotten sands and it owns.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 10:03 on Nov 24, 2019

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CJacobs posted:

One thing I really appreciate about Death Stranding that I also liked about Control is just how accepting everyone is of the 'new normal', by which I mean zombie ghosts, super-aging rain and the like. Sam finds all of this Death Stranding stuff beyond his comprehension but everyone who's making an effort to understand it is treating it like a science experiment. It's got that same feeling as the FBC in Control where all the crazy poo poo that happens at the bureau is just everyday life for the people that work there- if you had to deal with zombie ghosts from another dimension every time you went to the market, you'd probably get used to it pretty quick too. Even Sam himself totally buys whatever people tell him because what's he gonna do, question the logic of time traveling zombie ghosts? You COULD chalk it up to Reedus no-selling his performance but I think he's really strong in some scenes so imo it was an intentional choice.

Adding to this, I like that whenever someone gives him more tangible information like "we used your blood so you can bola ghosts now" he suddenly perks up and cares more. Everyone else is super focused on the specifics of how the zombie ghosts came to be and the nature of life and death while Sam is just like "how do I stop getting gooped on"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Danaru posted:

Adding to this, I like that whenever someone gives him more tangible information like "we used your blood so you can bola ghosts now" he suddenly perks up and cares more. Everyone else is super focused on the specifics of how the zombie ghosts came to be and the nature of life and death while Sam is just like "how do I stop getting gooped on"

One neat touch is there's several different animations for Sam getting into bed in a Private Room, and I'm pretty sure some of them are tied to his stamina level. Especially considering one of them is just Sam faceplanting on the bed with his gear still on and no fucks given, falling asleep the moment he hits it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Professor Wayne posted:

This reminds me that the Onimusha protag really absorbs the orbs enemy drop after a fight, as it happens in the incredibly cool opening of Onimusha 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-btXtck11s

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In a similar vein there's a scene in Jedi Fallen Order where Cal (the main character) is helping an injured animal and while doing so he uses one of his healing items on it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Samuringa posted:

This reminds me that the Onimusha protag really absorbs the orbs enemy drop after a fight, as it happens in the incredibly cool opening of Onimusha 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-btXtck11s

I'd forgotten about the helicopter blade technique to avoid falling damage. :allears: I love it when movies/shows/etc. do things that are clearly saying "Physics doesn't quite work this way, but just roll with it."

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Decided to play the sleeping dogs dlc since I've beaten the main game a few times but never tried the dlc. Had a good laugh at the triumphant music that plays as wei takes his traffic cop shift.

Then I realised there's a tazer and proceeded to taze and arrest loads of innocent revelers criminals in the street and witnesses accomplices. Apparently ACAB :(

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey that's perfectly in line with hkpd

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Later you get a tear-gas-grenade launcher. Aiming for the head is very effective.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Later you get a tear-gas-grenade launcher. Aiming for the head is very effective.
If you can grab someone when you have it equipped, you can kneecap them with a grenade.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Death Stranding is ending up as one of my favorite games of all time. I absolutely love just... delivering packages to people, guess I should have been a UPS driver. Building on the "Sam just accepts everything" threadstrand, I loved when you connect the timefall farm (I think?) to the network and then Die-Hardman tells you to go alllllll the way back to Lake Knot to get a package to hook up South Knot, Sam is pissed off and asks why he can't just go straight there and hook them up. Die-Hardman basically rolls his eyes and says that's not how it works, and Sam just grudgingly agrees but is clearly pissed off by the inconvenience.

I was never much of a Norman Reedus fan (he named his son Mingus. Mingus Reedus) but his voice acting and mocap is really good in this. My favorites are "Sam Sam he's our man!," the way he says "we've got companyyyyy" when you go into a BT area, and when he begs the camera for a shower if you're sitting around in the private quarters. Basically the whole game is little things, really.

(I'm not sure any of this should be spoiler tagged, since "there are a bunch of settlements that you deliver stuff to" is kind of... the game.)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

You can pee out in the open in Death Stranding, but not if other people are around. So if you select Urinate at those moments (and basically try to equip your penis) he'll chide you. Don't remember the exact lines but one is something like "You are going to take out your thing just like that? gently caress you don't."

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I really like that when Sam stacks it over a rock and packages fly everywhere there seem to be about 100 variations of "god loving dammit you idiot" vo from Norman Reedus.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He's got so many lines for beefing it in various ways, it's awesome. I think my favorite was when I accidentally drove a bike into a river that was too deep to cross, cue Sam grunting an angry "aw COME ON" as he tumbled facefirst off the stalled bike into the river and all my cargo went right in the drink. I really felt like I was in his shoes as I somberly watched my packages float away downstream.

edit: One time I tripped over a cliff but he landed on his feet with an extremely knee-crunching animation and I felt his ensuing "AAAUUUUUuuuugghhhh :negative:" in my very soul

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:18 on Nov 25, 2019

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Thing I am not enjoying is how I need to wait months yet to play DS since I don’t have a PS4

Kitfox88 has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Nov 25, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
More Death Stranding little stuff (sorry Kitfox88), this time regarding fighting mechanics:

- Sam has a dodge move that's pretty powerful, you can change direction instantly by hitting jump while holding L2/R2, with the only cost being some stamina. You're totally invincible during it as far as I can tell. If you dodge behind an enemy while they're attacking you can do a leaping haymaker right to the back of their head that does huge damage.

- You can goomba stomp people by jumping on them from above, which Sam accomplishes by falling right on his dumb face right on top of the enemy which knocks them out.

- If you have a certain equipment item you can do a sprinting long-jump (a really REALLY long long-jump), and long-jumping into an enemy sends them flying backward if you hit them right as you spring off the ground.

- Sam has a paracord you can use to do stealth takedowns from behind or parry enemy attacks from the front, but you can also use it to get instant stealth takedowns in combat by breaking an enemy's block and then running behind them while they're reeling.

- You can wing cargo containers at enemies to get an instant KO, but if you really feel like being a dick you can toss one of the big XL oil drum size containers and they'll fall backward and it'll land on them.

- Similarly, there are fake decoy cargo containers that blow up in a puff of sleep gas if the enemy picks it up to steal it from you... but if there's a few dudes standing together you can also just throw it at them.

- Hoisting your shoulders and hitting the punch button makes Sam do a tackle move that can break enemy guards, but if you've got a truly ridiculous amount of poo poo on your back you get a jenga tower battering ram move that bowls people over instead.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 15:53 on Nov 25, 2019

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

Thing I am not enjoying is how I need to wait months yet to play DS since I don’t have a PC
It won't even come out on PC for months yet.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Werong Bustope posted:

I need to dig out my PS2 and play it again, it's such a fun game. I'm probably easily entertained but the Prince going "no...that's not what happened..." when you die always makes me smile, like what, he just accidentally said "and then I fell into a pit of spikes" in the middle of telling a story?

I played the game for all of 10 minutes years ago and still remember being amused by exactly the same idea.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Very specific Death Stranding thing: there's a cutscene where someone goes for a handshake, Sam pulls back, and they give him a thumbs up instead that pops up a little "+100 likes" message.

And as they retreat into their bunker, Sam gives them a little thumbs up of his own back. "+1 like."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

My Lovely Horse posted:

Very specific Death Stranding thing: there's a cutscene where someone goes for a handshake, Sam pulls back, and they give him a thumbs up instead that pops up a little "+100 likes" message.

And as they retreat into their bunker, Sam gives them a little thumbs up of his own back. "+1 like."

Anytime someone gives a thumbs-up in a cutscene, you get likes. There's a cutscene where a character you talk with gives you like five or six thumb-ups over the course of it, typically whenever Sam answers a question they pose. And at least one or two thumb-downs, which detract likes.

The cutscene is with Heartman, and as you leave his abode, after he's gone into cardiac arrest, Sam scratches a vinyl record on the way out. This loses him some likes.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Hirayuki posted:

It won't even come out on PC for months yet.

I was tired and meant to say PS4

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

I was tired and meant to say PS4
Well, you got my hopes up. :mad:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Morpheus posted:

Anytime someone gives a thumbs-up in a cutscene, you get likes. There's a cutscene where a character you talk with gives you like five or six thumb-ups over the course of it, typically whenever Sam answers a question they pose. And at least one or two thumb-downs, which detract likes.

The cutscene is with Heartman, and as you leave his abode, after he's gone into cardiac arrest, Sam scratches a vinyl record on the way out. This loses him some likes.

Sam also goes "yeah boyyyyy" while doing so :allears: christ what a game

Another thing if you cut the umbilical of a BT, thereby send them to the afterlife for good, you get a "like received from BT" notification and a like blips up :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was never sure if that latter thing was a sign that they actually wanted to go back to the beach and were legitimately thankful, or the BT equivalent of "I ain't even mad"