Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I think the spells they're incapable of casting will be marked with a little red cross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Getting a good wand means imminent death. On the other hand, if you have just the starter wands you'll wind up walking through an entire desert, past a pyramid, and some ??? the game doesn't even title... but you can't do anything.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

resistentialism posted:

Kick one of those fat bottom urns at them, it will ignore their damage reductions and can usually kill them in one or two hits.

Fat bottom urns make the rockin world go round.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

Getting a good wand means imminent death. On the other hand, if you have just the starter wands you'll wind up walking through an entire desert, past a pyramid, and some ??? the game doesn't even title... but you can't do anything.

I did that once. It's a shame that the alternate content is so heavily reliant on digging. ...and that there's basically nothing in the alternate content except for some enemies and the contents of those little vaults.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is there even a way back "up" once you do get some terraforming wands? Honestly I'd go nuts for a sandbox mode, anytime I get a lightsaber wand I spend a lot of time just digging around and trying to pour pools of crap into each other.

Daily run for today, didn't realize it was like a "tweaked" map. Poking along, just checking the left side to see if there's anything cool. Suddenly... horde of green beholders!

Oh poo poo, just got a rude surprise from a fella who I thought was friendly with his nice pink bubble.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 23, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

Is there even a way back "up" once you do get some terraforming wands? Honestly I'd go nuts for a sandbox mode, anytime I get a lightsaber wand I spend a lot of time just digging around and trying to pour pools of crap into each other.

In general, you'll want to be able to dig a bunch. One method is to get enough Black Hole spells (possibly with projectile repulsion field or the enhanced projectile speed / enhanced duration modifiers) to just dig your way back up. Similarly, a wand with Matter Eater, Ground to Sand, Touch of Spirits, etc. is good for digging through brick or extremely dense rock. You can use them to connect the Holy Mountain zones to the preceding / next zones, at the cost of angering the gods. Acid does not work well for digging up, unfortunately; as far as I can tell it'll splatter and maybe delete one or two pixels, but then it'll drip down on your head and you'll be sad.

It's also worth being aware that you can simply teleport past the trigger line that causes the holy mountain exit to collapse. This doesn't let you get back up past the mountain, but it does let you get back in if you need to edit wands or access healing/spell refreshes.

Spoilers about the map layout.

You can climb back up the shaft to the right of the lava lake; this lets you get from the snow caves up to the mines and then to the surface. You can climb up the fungal caves to get from the Vault to the Jungle. This means that the major roadblocks are the Hiisi Base and Temple of the Art, both of which are chokepoints in the map (no built-in way to bypass them). However, the Temple of the Art has access to the Tower, which at the end will drop you back out on the surface.

Basically if you can get a couple of Black Holes by the end of the snow caves, you're set -- break open the pre/post Hiisi Base holy mountain zones and the pre Temple of the Art holy mountain and then you can walk anywhere in the main part of the game, even if you collapse every Holy Mountain except the last one.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
How did these alchemists even get anything done when this fungus gets you high as poo poo.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Today on Cooking With Wands, here's a handy recipe to instantly cook anything to 1000 degrees. It's a weird configuration, requiring the triple cast effect at the end to make it machine gun.

NOTE: Does not work on cast-iron ovens! Fungal Caves' robot did me in

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
What does work reliably on robots? Explosions do better than most things, but they still seem to take way less damage than other enemy types.

Mind, then you get to the Hiisi...officers, I guess, the bigger ones, in the Jungle, and they just soak up preposterous amounts of damage. Had a run where the best wand I was able to scrape together was a laser machinegun (rapid-fire Concentrated Light) and it still couldn't kill them very quickly at all.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What does work reliably on robots? Explosions do better than most things, but they still seem to take way less damage than other enemy types.

Mind, then you get to the Hiisi...officers, I guess, the bigger ones, in the Jungle, and they just soak up preposterous amounts of damage. Had a run where the best wand I was able to scrape together was a laser machinegun (rapid-fire Concentrated Light) and it still couldn't kill them very quickly at all.

Magic Missile, higher grade explosives. Basically, you avoid them instead of kicking them to death.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Also electricity rips them to shreds pretty nicely.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Lightning works really well, and you're likely to stumble across at least one copy of it by that point. If you can project some lingering spell (crosses, clouds) with Damage Field attached to it, you basically have a win button. Situationally, you can plink them from behind cover with a light saber, preferably one with a trigger on it that can be used to inject a bunch of poo poo through a wall

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Freeze and a powerful enough explosion also oneshots most everything.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Bug toucher.

Big bug toucher (doesn't really do anything)

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh my god, this is the most amazing thing. Lukki Perk Spiderwalk mod: https://modworkshop.net/mydownloads.php?action=view_down&did=26010#description

I will never use another perk ever again.

this is really, really fun to play with.

i'm sure it's a touch op (it seems like movespeed is too fast sometimes) but it's legit cool to alter your strategies knowing you can hang anywhere but can't operate at all in big open spaces, since you can't actually jetpack anymore and must be within a certain range of a wall

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

It's also worth being aware that you can simply teleport past the trigger line that causes the holy mountain exit to collapse. This doesn't let you get back up past the mountain, but it does let you get back in if you need to edit wands or access healing/spell refreshes.

Spoilers about the map layout.

You can climb back up the shaft to the right of the lava lake; this lets you get from the snow caves up to the mines and then to the surface. You can climb up the fungal caves to get from the Vault to the Jungle. This means that the major roadblocks are the Hiisi Base and Temple of the Art, both of which are chokepoints in the map (no built-in way to bypass them). However, the Temple of the Art has access to the Tower, which at the end will drop you back out on the surface.

Basically if you can get a couple of Black Holes by the end of the snow caves, you're set -- break open the pre/post Hiisi Base holy mountain zones and the pre Temple of the Art holy mountain and then you can walk anywhere in the main part of the game, even if you collapse every Holy Mountain except the last one.

How do you teleport predictably? I've gotten teleport potion a few times, but every time I end up throwing it by accident and splashing in the telejuice... I end up random place I've already explored.

Where is the desert/pyramid/??? thing normally? I found them once in a map by going right at the very start and there was just a thin place to bomb and get to a tunnel that lead to desert. I am just assuming they are important locations, I guess I don't really know the "point" of the game yet, just been trying to go as far as possible.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Khanstant posted:

How do you teleport predictably? I've gotten teleport potion a few times, but every time I end up throwing it by accident and splashing in the telejuice... I end up random place I've already explored.

By using the teleport spell. The 'teleport potion' works like any other stain and causes you to teleport randomly until you remove it or you teleport enough that it falls off. Any existing teleport potion in the world does not vanish upon use, though, so if you're trying to teleport through a wall, it's best to make a small puddle next to the wall and keep dunking yourself in it until you teleport where you want to go.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Khanstant posted:

The potion is pretty much always bad. You want the spell that teleports you to where a projectile disappears (impact or maximum range).
e:f;b

Khanstant posted:

Where is the desert/pyramid/??? thing normally? I found them once in a map by going right at the very start and there was just a thin place to bomb and get to a tunnel that lead to desert. I am just assuming they are important locations, I guess I don't really know the "point" of the game yet, just been trying to go as far as possible.
If you can get over the cave entrance at the start (the teleport spell is one way to do it), you can walk the rest of the way.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Electricity or freezing mod. Mostly to keep them stunned and not loving you up, but electricity does a ton of damage to them as well.

Not Alex posted:

Freeze and a powerful enough explosion also oneshots most everything.

A tentacle will also break frozen things quite handily. A two projectile wand with one to freeze and one to trigger a tentacle is brutal.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

I think that teleportatium (the teleport potion) biases its teleports in the direction you're aiming. That still doesn't make it exactly reliable. I've never taken teleportitis so I've no idea if it works similarly.

Thanks for the tips re: robots. Sounds like basically you bust out the ammo spells or have a good combo wand or risk loving yourself up with electricity.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'll try to experiement with the potion next time I get one. So far, I have wasted them all because I get them in the context of the crazy room with like 12 potions on shelves. Invariably I cannot resist chucking every single one, hoping to get my "item" count up... but there's always a fire potion that ruins everything haha.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Being willing to use limited ammo explody spells will improve your success rate in this game by a lot.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

Being willing to use limited ammo explody spells will improve your success rate in this game by a lot.

Yeah, I just have a big attraction to ridiculous combo wands, and those are more fun when you can use them repeatedly. Usually. Today I made what is certainly the most terrifying wand I've ever tried.

https://i.imgur.com/YQNAQL5.mp4

That's spark bolt with trigger into a long-lasting, homing slime mist with "giant explosion on slimed enemies" and "matter eater" on it. When I first entered the level I fired it offscreen and there were like 20 explosions in rapid succession, after which half the level was gone.

You may note that I do not have immunity to explosions.

edit: dammit, a prosaic death after all that. Got polymorphed into one of the jumping ghoul things from the first level and then my own homing Death Cross (on the first wand in that screenshot) killed me.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 24, 2019

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Yeah, I just have a big attraction to ridiculous combo wands, and those are more fun when you can use them repeatedly. Usually. Today I made what is certainly the most terrifying wand I've ever tried.

https://i.imgur.com/YQNAQL5.mp4

That's spark bolt with trigger into a long-lasting, homing slime mist with "giant explosion on slimed enemies" and "matter eater" on it. When I first entered the level I fired it offscreen and there were like 20 explosions in rapid succession, after which half the level was gone.

You may note that I do not have immunity to explosions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPRO2SApO8

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

The dragon cave just dropped a wand for me that has about 500 double spark triggers and I just have no idea what the hell to do with this thing.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Rip them out, you only need one to cause chaos.

"Do a kickflip"

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Easily my greatest achievement to date with this game is the time I rode the minecart down the ramp and landed on a monkey.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Trying my hand at speedrunning. This was a really great run.

I was the duck

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Where did the chaotic polymorphine come from?!

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
^^^ it was the orb spit out by the big robed bone guy

lmao I was wondering why the camera stopped following the worm

I did a full clear on this run and I'm basically trapped now since there were maybe two black holes generated in the entire world and I have no way to get through to east/west world. Lame!

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 24, 2019

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The other great extremely dense rock destroyer is 'ground to sand' on a glowing lance.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I am reminded -- the same run that I did that horrible exploding burrowing death cloud thing, I also experimented with homing glowing lances, and the results were...awful? They'd consistently stop after going maybe a lightsaber's length. I thought they were supposed to go through walls. Sticking +speed on them didn't make a noticeable difference either.

I'm not really clear on how Matter Eater works either. I tried putting it on some firebolts and got anemic results; it'd burrow some, but then the bolt would bounce and explode like normal. It did well on the mist AFAICT because mist doesn't get destroyed when it hits a wall (or else has lots of bounces). Does anyone have a good understanding of how Matter Eater works?

Pop quiz: if you were allowed to start with any one spell in your inventory, at the cost of starting with, say, no wands and one Fire Flask, what spell would you pick?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

I am reminded -- the same run that I did that horrible exploding burrowing death cloud thing, I also experimented with homing glowing lances, and the results were...awful? They'd consistently stop after going maybe a lightsaber's length. I thought they were supposed to go through walls. Sticking +speed on them didn't make a noticeable difference either.

I'm not really clear on how Matter Eater works either. I tried putting it on some firebolts and got anemic results; it'd burrow some, but then the bolt would bounce and explode like normal. It did well on the mist AFAICT because mist doesn't get destroyed when it hits a wall (or else has lots of bounces). Does anyone have a good understanding of how Matter Eater works?

Glowing lance basically has half the range of Summon Arrow. If it fell straight down, your aim was off, it's pretty reliable.
Matter eater works based on the damage of the spell. Weak spells won't do jack, but stronger spells punch through anything.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Pop quiz: if you were allowed to start with any one spell in your inventory, at the cost of starting with, say, no wands and one Fire Flask, what spell would you pick?

Probably Lightning Bolt. Jam it into any wand that'll accept it and you've got a wand that can oneshot pretty much anything for the first few floors. I've killed myself enough with it that I've gotten fairly good at estimating the blast range.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Post poste posted:

Glowing lance basically has half the range of Summon Arrow. If it fell straight down, your aim was off, it's pretty reliable.
Matter eater works based on the damage of the spell. Weak spells won't do jack, but stronger spells punch through anything.

In my experience it's not power, it's how fast it moves. Faster spells can hit the wall and disappear before the wall does, but slower ones don't have the same thing happen. Fire bomb (the slow, infinite ammo fire attack you can find in the starting mines) actually had the best results of everything I tried.

Granted I haven't actually gotten to experiment with it much, so I could be wrong.

Mana plus. That plus the much more common chainsaw lets you make one of those wands that dumps all your mana in half a second, except it never runs out of mana.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Rip them out, you only need one to cause chaos.

Chaos you say?

TOO MUCH CHAOS ELECTROCUTED IN LAVA.

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 24, 2019

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
After 400 deaths, finally, finally loving FINALLY beaten the game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Snake Maze posted:

In my experience it's not power, it's how fast it moves. Faster spells can hit the wall and disappear before the wall does, but slower ones don't have the same thing happen. Fire bomb (the slow, infinite ammo fire attack you can find in the starting mines) actually had the best results of everything I tried.

Granted I haven't actually gotten to experiment with it much, so I could be wrong.

Ahh, sounds like there's an aura on the projectile that destroys walls. I guess that makes sense.

Post poste posted:

I was shooting straight into the wall. :shrug:

Samovar posted:

After 400 deaths, finally, finally loving FINALLY beaten the game.

Congrats!

EDIT: pictured, the most well-guarded wand I've ever seen.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 24, 2019

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Having bouncing spells can mess with lots of behaviors, and lances don't pass through everything- soft materials are like paper to them but they'll be caught on rock and steel.

I think at this point I'm just waiting for a big content update or balance pass. Lost my latest run to a CTD while trying to kill the boss with 13 orbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Revenge explosion hurts the player? Ohh :negative:

Had a good run which I ruined by travelling back from the ice caves to the first level, then figuring I'd take a shortcut through the first temple. Of course it was unpassable, having collapsed earlier. Had a black hole wand so I dug out... and angered the gods. :downs:

Next run I found a weird wand with shuffle and 6 spells at once and plenty of capacity, which also had Always Casts: Thunder Charge. Put three random timer spells on that, picked up explosion immunity... and then of course I dodged an enemy into a pool of water.