Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

pkay posted:

Here is the thing though, what do you think rises from the ashes of an American collapse? Who/What do you think occupies the power vacuum that is created with the collapse of US (and shortly thereafter western liberalism)?

I mean its a good question and the answer is hopefully not western liberalism. Scary, yeah, but we were never in control, just hurting people to feel like we were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Reverse American exceptionalism is ALMOST as bad as the inverse

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

pkay posted:

No there was literally nothing good to cling on to from his win. He has been everything that anyone who wasn't an idiot said he would be. Like Trump's support has remained consistent. He is exactly who everyone thought he was and a certain segment of people love it and a certain segment of people hate it.

Yes Trump is and always has been horrible. I understand that and so do you. I know a handful of people, reasonably smart but not politically savvy, who voted for Trump but probably would've picked Sanders. Does that make any sense? No, of course not. But they exist as do all sorts of other types of Trump voters. You mistake the loud and obnoxious supporters for all of his voters. I don't know what the breakdown is, but there are probably millions of Trump voters who selected him for some unknown idiotic reason that has nothing to with any sort of motivation someone like you, a well read leftist, could possibly even comprehend.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

Reverse nationalism? Lol

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

How does rudy still have a law license?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

theflyingorc posted:

It is a well known fact that everything bad started in 1776.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It is a well known fact that everything bad started in 1776.

Nice whataboutism in a discussion about the United States

As for the threads purpose, yeah, everything bad about USPolitics specifically started round-thereabouts

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

America is absolutely redeemable. We came incredibly close to building a kind-of communist state before the Reagan-Thatcher Neoliberal revolution where capital was genuinely losing control to worker-owned retirement accounts. We did it before and we can do it again.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds
There is no redemption when we are a literal heartbeat away from President Dipshit installing a majority of insane assholes who can declare the 2020 election a formality.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

PIZZA.BAT posted:

America is absolutely redeemable. We came incredibly close to building a kind-of communist state before the Reagan-Thatcher Neoliberal revolution where capital was genuinely losing control to worker-owned retirement accounts. We did it before and we can do it again.

I agree but I wouldn’t call it redemption. It would be totally new ground we’ve barely trod. We weren’t born in innocence and then corrupted by sin

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
From 1929-1945 or so we were pretty drat ok, all things considered

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

There is no redemption when we are a literal heartbeat away from President Dipshit installing a majority of insane assholes who can declare the 2020 election a formality.

this is not going to happen

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

oxsnard posted:

From 1929-1945 or so we were pretty drat ok, all things considered

I’d be curious here what your specific cultural background is, because....uh...we were pretty drat okay, as long as no things are considered.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

cr0y posted:

How does rudy still have a law license?

I mean you don’t generally get suspended just for being a dipshit. You usually have to commit a crime or violate the ethics rules. Mostly people get suspended for not paying the biannual fee (by far the most common reason), not properly accounting for client funds, or DUIs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

this is not going to happen

Not in so many words but here's what'll happen.

President Sanders gets elected and starts, let's say, trying to fix health care. At once the GOP is going to push every single case they can to the Supreme Court to get it rendered unconstitutional and they'll succeed at every one. They'll start Impeachment because he sneezed wrong. It will be impossible to actually get anything done because if the GOP don't want it then it's going to be nullified by the Supreme Court. It won't matter how flimsy the pretext because the Republicans have pretty clearly shown they don't care about reality and 40% of the country doesn't either.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Chill with the dooming please.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

Redemption tax w/bonus sound:

https://i.imgur.com/JDTWEzt.mp4

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
It doesn’t matter if America is redeemable or not. The only moral choice if you are an American is to fight to redeem it and for me part of that fight is believing it’s possible.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

fool_of_sound posted:

Chill with the dooming please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXTLBhe-ccU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So Nunes is completely hosed, right? Like we'll see him locked up by the end of this too? Is that too much to ask?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Dang, what white people where when? :)

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

So Nunes is completely hosed, right? Like we'll see him locked up by the end of this too? Is that too much to ask?

Probably, and maybe, and have patience. Wait for it.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
So, you guys having a fun saturday night?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

The Super-Id posted:

It doesn’t matter if America is redeemable or not. The only moral choice if you are an American is to fight to redeem it and for me part of that fight is believing it’s possible.

Yep. Can't win if the fight isn't at least tried.

https://i.imgur.com/4AJUGBf.mp4

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Idahoant posted:

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

oxsnard posted:

Yes Trump is and always has been horrible. I understand that and so do you. I know a handful of people, reasonably smart but not politically savvy, who voted for Trump but probably would've picked Sanders. Does that make any sense? No, of course not. But they exist as do all sorts of other types of Trump voters. You mistake the loud and obnoxious supporters for all of his voters. I don't know what the breakdown is, but there are probably millions of Trump voters who selected him for some unknown idiotic reason that has nothing to with any sort of motivation someone like you, a well read leftist, could possibly even comprehend.

I mean his approval numbers have been fairly consistent.... I mean let's be real, you and I both know why your Bernie > Trump buddies voted for Trump.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Super-Id posted:

It’s not like we’re risking anything. Who has anything to lose any more?

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s not like we’re risking anything. Who has anything to lose any more?

Umm I as a black male have a fuckton to lose.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Otteration posted:

Probably, and maybe, and have patience. Wait for it.

Trust the plan.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

pkay posted:

Umm I as a black male have a fuckton to lose.

If you roll over for them they’ll kill you anyway. They’ll probably even kill me anyway. Do you have kids or a good job or something?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

This did it. I'm voting for Mayor Pete now.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Honestly, I think the democrats are on the take from the NRA just as much as the republicans. I can't prove it, but I know the fossil fuel industry is paying them both off, so I see no reason the gun lobby can't do the same thing.

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

I was gonna say that the NRA probably doesn't have enough money left to bribe both sides anymore, but we've got plenty of people who will sell their votes for a thousand bucks, so idk.

The NRA spends very little in direct candidate contributions as a part of their overall operating budget. Check opensecrets. They're like AEI - they generally exert their influence via other means. Their ad buys and lobbying efforts are gonna dwarf their contributions. Also worth noting that their industry is orders of magnitude smaller than oil and gas. They've got way, way less money to pay people off or play both sides. There's also not a lot of room for off-the-books-actual-bribery/graft, because the organization's choked with that already.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

oh I thought this was the ending of The OA season 1

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
The oncoming demographic helltrain is actually a real thing squarely aimed at the Republican Party. It is actually such a powerfully inevitable trend that anybody who researches it long enough concludes effectively that something extremely unusual and unique has to happen to prevent it from indefinitely loving the GOP.

The GOP has been among the people studying their own electoral death spiral! Their own actions for the past ten years are consistent with an ideologically contracting party that is ENTIRELY aware of its inability to achieve sustainable majorities in a couple of decades unless they leverage their present power to install failsafes designed to artificially preserve their majorities.

The thing that sucks about it is honestly that you can only hype it up so much before people remind you that it's not here yet, it's probably still like five or ten years away, and its inevitability is conditional on that the GOP willingly allows the nation to continue to be a functional democratic republic knowing that fair elections will doom them after a specific threshold of the Boomers are dead of old age. They have already gone plenty far down the road ro having defeated democracy in a handful of states, ensuring noncompetitiveness and a state of sham democracy that is more akin to places like Sierra Leone than a thriving democracy.

But again, I have to stress that the Republican death spiral is as real as other obvious dead-end conditions for a white identitarian party like the GOP, such as the incoming date at which there will be more people of color than whites in the U.S.

It just feels like it's not actually materializing because the GOP had intentionally taken the actions necessary to keep it from impacting their majorities yet! They have successfully compensated! So far! Using any means they think they can get away with. Their entire policy by which judicial appointees are approved, the ENTIRETY of the Republican bonafides for conservative judicial appointments at this point, is one hundred percent predicated on "will this person preserve Republican gerrymandering and election rigging in his (or their or her, but honestly they'd prefer just his) rulings?" Nothing, not even anti abortion views, is as mandatory for their gatekeeping.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

If you roll over for them they’ll kill you anyway. They’ll probably even kill me anyway. Do you have kids or a good job or something?

I just realize the gains my predecessors made and I also realize that the powers that will rise out of the collapse of Western liberalism oligarchical autocrats. The feudal lords will almost certainly kill and enslave me and my ilk. Just ask the Uighur's.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

pkay posted:

I mean his approval numbers have been fairly consistent.... I mean let's be real, you and I both know why your Bernie > Trump buddies voted for Trump.

Why is that, pray tell?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Idahoant posted:

https://twitter.com/rvawonk/status/1198401589880512512?s=21

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

What in the actual gently caress am I looking at?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

pkay posted:

I just realize the gains my predecessors made and I also realize that the powers that will rise out of the collapse of Western liberalism oligarchical autocrats. The feudal lords will almost certainly kill and enslave me and my ilk. Just ask the Uighur's.

I'm pretty sure continuing to believe that America is redeemable and fighting for that would include staving off any would-be feudal lords. I can't help but feel like inaction would result in, or at least contribute to, the very outcome you're trying to avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

ImpAtom posted:

Not in so many words but here's what'll happen.

President Sanders gets elected and starts, let's say, trying to fix health care. At once the GOP is going to push every single case they can to the Supreme Court to get it rendered unconstitutional and they'll succeed at every one. They'll start Impeachment because he sneezed wrong. It will be impossible to actually get anything done because if the GOP don't want it then it's going to be nullified by the Supreme Court. It won't matter how flimsy the pretext because the Republicans have pretty clearly shown they don't care about reality and 40% of the country doesn't either.
The Congress and the Executive can utterly bitchslap the federal courts up to and including the Supreme Court just with simple majorities. With super-majorities they can get arbitrarily nasty with literally no limit. The only thing standing in the way is :decorum: which, make no mistake, is a big concern with this Democratic party, but pressure from constituents may be enough to turn that around. All hope is not lost and even if RBG does kick it, it doesn't really change the calculus a whole hell of a lot because we already need to pack the court and it's already got a Republican majority.