Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Does anyone else here play Crusader Kings II? I just had a small epiphany: it's basically Bayaz Simulator. Slightly-nicer-than-in-the-books Bayaz but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Imagining my ruler softly crying in his chambers as I force him to pick the scorn your wife option because I need to save the gold for a bribe to the pope

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the reason Gurkhul collapsed is that Bayaz cast a spell to hack game files and make the Emperor convert to Catharism

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Larry Parrish posted:

Imagining my ruler softly crying in his chambers as I force him to pick the scorn your wife option because I need to save the gold for a bribe to the pope

Huh. Guess I'm sold on the comparison (although i generally try to RP my character in those decisions, no matter how bad the results inevitably are)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Now I want to read a series about a kingdom puppeteered by an immortal mastermind, but the twist is that the wizard, like me, doesn’t understand the game mechanics and fucks up disastrously for no reason

Armies starving and deserting en masse in peacetime because the wizard forgot he had to demobilize them, dynasties obliterated because he doesn’t know what “matrilineal” means, etc

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Does khalul have hair? Because he was the prophet and had a magical voice and the ability to bring countless others to his cause. Not to mention the fact that his eaters are apparently infiltrating the union right now. I don't think he died off screen, I think he's the weaver

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
It’d be interesting if their fight continued as the fight between communism and capitalism.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Affi posted:

It’d be interesting if their fight continued as the fight between communism and capitalism.

I'd rather it not. The last book was already a bit too on-the-nose in how it copied and pasted bits from our own history.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I don't care to see any commentary on the industrial revolution unless there's some interesting speculative/magic twist. So far there isn't.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I kinda like it, and ppl feel clever when they notice the obvious parallels btw history and the books. I kinda know what I’m getting with Abercrombie world wise, and if I want the weirder stuff I’ll go for Mieville.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurosis posted:

I'd rather it not. The last book was already a bit too on-the-nose in how it copied and pasted bits from our own history.

nah, if oppressed workers had actually hosed-up a whole city in IRL Industrial-age Britain, capital would've had to give up some real concessions instead of just endlessly loving them for the next 250 years. That, plus magic/Union industrialization happening so much more rapidly, opens up some interesting doors.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

https://joeabercrombie.com/the-trouble-with-peace-uk-cover/?fbclid=IwAR0-pTMWPyRUzYpeclgap_ZnMzMTP2xkB1QHaMH2HbPbk0_AwZ7wz98QddI

The Trouble With Peace, out September 15th

quote:

Savine dan Glokta, once Adua’s most powerful investor, finds her judgement, fortune and reputation in tatters. But she still has all her ambitions, and no scruple will be permitted to stand in her way.

For heroes like Leo dan Brock and Stour Nightfall, only happy with swords drawn, peace is an ordeal to end as soon as possible. But grievances must be nursed, power seized and allies gathered first, while Rikke must master the power of the Long Eye . . . before it kills her.

The Breakers still lurk in the shadows, plotting to free the common man from his shackles, while noblemen bicker for their own advantage. Orso struggles to find a safe path through the maze of knives that is politics, only for his enemies, and his debts, to multiply.

The old ways are swept aside, and the old leaders with them, but those who would seize the reins of power will find no alliance, no friendship, and no peace, lasts forever.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Hoping that our heroes are smart and capable enough to figure out the game is "kill the loving wizard" before it's too late. Before you rightfully tell me that this isn't that kind of story, perhaps Bayez getting got will conclude the Great Game, allowing humans the freedom to ditch relatively small wizard proxy battles in favor for modern total warfare.

Getting the thing you want only to find out it's terrible is exactly the kind of story this is.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, I'm not sure what killing Bayaz would accomplish for anyone except other wizards.

Given that this new trilogy feels a lot more like a return to the First Law trilogy than the "spinoff" trilogy and had that mirrored moment with Bayaz on the ship, I wonder if it will do the same thing the First Law did of having everyone's character arcs deposit them right back where they started.

I'd prefer to see things get seriously shaken up (other than the setting just being industrialised) but Joe's style is more about the plight of the pawn, than about turning the chessboard upside down.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

VagueRant posted:

I'd prefer to see things get seriously shaken up (other than the setting just being industrialised) but Joe's style is more about the plight of the pawn, than about turning the chessboard upside down.

I'm guessing that the Breakers might shake things up quite a bit.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Vichan posted:

I'm guessing that the Breakers might shake things up quite a bit.

Breakers are a controlled opposition. We might see a societal change, but whether it'll affect how the hidden power games are conducted, idk. Then again, Khalul is deposed and Bayaz is now fighting with the other Magi, so that's something.

There are some supernatural threads dangling that could change things as we know them, too, even if they don't change the kind of game being played. Some of them:

(1) magic is declining but the Seed seemed to allow some to leak back in; could it decline to where the magi can't maintain their immortality? If so, what will Bayaz do?
(2) Eaters have spread, with us already having seen one who insinuated herself with someone influential.
(3) Will we ever find out more about what's going on with Logen and the Bloody Nine? I suppose it wouldn't matter at this point, unless something new comes up that makes Logen's spirit abilities important.
(4) Possibly related to (3), what happened to Bedesh?
(5) Will Yulwei and Tolemei reappear?

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I think answering any question regarding Bayaz or having him play a more serious role in further stories would be a mistake. Any resolution (with regards to defeating him) would feel like a letdown.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's difficult because Bayaz is still responsible for a ton of the stuff that happens in these books. He arguably orchestrated the Breaker riots, and assassinated Jezal. So by not dealing with him the characters aren't confronting with one of the root problems in their world. But the books have been striking a good balance between showing the conflict between ordinary people and always having Bayaz just out of frame, influencing the grander events. Throwing off his yoke would damage that status quo and also his role as a symbol of immortal institutional power that crushes attempts at reform.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
bayaz is both figuratively and literally capitalism

getting rid of him sounds nice but it's never gonna happen

you have to be realistic

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Suxpool posted:

bayaz is both figuratively and literally capitalism

getting rid of him sounds nice but it's never gonna happen

you have to be realistic

logan ninefingers: champion of the proletariat, breaker of chains, murderer of capitalism :pray:

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Killing Bayaz (or any of the Magi really) wouldn't really fit Joe's style in terms of producing meaningful resolution. At best killing Bayaz would mean Yoru Sulfur takes control and decides to indulge his cannibalism while deciding that Bayaz's mistake was permitting too much independence to the governance of his various nations. Result more misery, less freedom and sometimes your children get taken away and they bring you back the bones covered in teeth marks.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

MrNemo posted:

Killing Bayaz (or any of the Magi really) wouldn't really fit Joe's style in terms of producing meaningful resolution. At best killing Bayaz would mean Yoru Sulfur takes control and decides to indulge his cannibalism while deciding that Bayaz's mistake was permitting too much independence to the governance of his various nations. Result more misery, less freedom and sometimes your children get taken away and they bring you back the bones covered in teeth marks.

Yoru Sulfur isn't near the threat Bayaz is, though. For example, he backs down from a confrontation with Shenkt.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
I think I've said it before in this thread, but I seem to recall that several years ago (I think at the time Joe was slowing down blogging and picking up twitter), I saw a JA post about how the Magi's feuds are the backdrop for the stories he wants to tell in the First Law world and that they will likely never resolve. That said, I can't find the post now, so maybe it was just a fever dream ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Khizan posted:

Yoru Sulfur isn't near the threat Bayaz is, though. For example, he backs down from a confrontation with Shenkt.

Bayaz isn’t much of a physical threat though. Yoru is his enforcer because Yoru still has powers because of Eating. Bayaz gets the sweats real bad and nearly faints from using his magic nowadays, his real power is immortality, banking, and secrets.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Xenix posted:

I think I've said it before in this thread, but I seem to recall that several years ago (I think at the time Joe was slowing down blogging and picking up twitter), I saw a JA post about how the Magi's feuds are the backdrop for the stories he wants to tell in the First Law world and that they will likely never resolve. That said, I can't find the post now, so maybe it was just a fever dream ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I recall reading the same thing so you're probably right. The magi and their schemes are a means to an end.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Ccs posted:

Bayaz isn’t much of a physical threat though. Yoru is his enforcer because Yoru still has powers because of Eating. Bayaz gets the sweats real bad and nearly faints from using his magic nowadays, his real power is immortality, banking, and secrets.

Pretty sure Bayaz is an eater too and is probably a little hardier magicwise since the end of the first trilogy where after using the seed it was mentioned he seems younger and stronger than ever.

But yes, his real power is structural power.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

I agree that if Bayaz dies the result will way worse than if he doesn't.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

team overhead smash posted:

Pretty sure Bayaz is an eater too and is probably a little hardier magicwise since the end of the first trilogy where after using the seed it was mentioned he seems younger and stronger than ever.

But yes, his real power is structural power.

there's never been any suggestion that bayaz is an eater tho

also shout out to my man yulwei who dusted eaters for breakfast and was never worse for wear

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Suxpool posted:

there's never been any suggestion that bayaz is an eater tho

There absolutely have been.

Remember the feast he has at the end of The Heroes, served to him by Yuru in a field of human corpses?

There’s room for “is he or isn’t he” but it’s not totally unfounded.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Remember the feast he has at the end of The Heroes, served to him by Yuru in a field of human corpses?

I never got the impression that Bayaz is an Eater from that. More that he was doing it to gently caress with Calder and prove how few fucks he gave. The thing about being an Eater is that once you're an Eater you're an Eater forever, and I can't see Bayaz signing up for that.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

There's something about the way Bayez is going through the motions to swap out Jezal that makes me think he's due for a fall. It wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility that he meddles with some modern force that he doesn't comprehend, and it bites him in the rear end. Like, say, a revolution of workers with nothing to lose but their chains. :commissar:

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

i mean, eaters are compelled to eat human flesh and can never stop and we did spend a really long time travelling to the end of the world and back without seeing bayaz monchin' on any humans but if you gotta believe so be it

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

There's something about the way Bayez is going through the motions to swap out Jezal that makes me think he's due for a fall. It wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility that he meddles with some modern force that he doesn't comprehend, and it bites him in the rear end. Like, say, a revolution of workers with nothing to lose but their chains. :commissar:

The only thing that can defeat Bayaz: anarchist revolutionaries throwing bombs.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I agree 100%, he'll definitely lose his grasp on events at least somewhat when he can't simply rule through nobility anymore.

A part of me is thinking that Yulwei and Tolomei still have a part to play as well.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I don't think he's much interested in bringing back those old aspects of the first trilogy. I doubt we'll ever see the inside of the Maker's house again, or those characters. That one character Judge seemed to have the same markings on her leg that Fenris did in the original trilogy, so maybe she was marked by Glustrod, but I also don't think a big bad like that is coming back either. I sorta see Bayaz as the one behind everything. Though writing a whole new trilogy and not changing the status quo at all would be a bit of a waste.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
He's explicitly ahead of the curve and sees the true power in money, rather than nobility

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harold Fjord posted:

He's explicitly ahead of the curve and sees the true power in money, rather than nobility

But seriously, I’m gonna :laffo: forever if Bayaz meets his end, not in some poetic way, but because he’s stuck in old ways of thinking and neglects the dangers of the printing press. Then he gets a bomb thrown at him by a young Magi Conspiracy Theorist named Gavrilo Princip.

Hell, in The Heroes an exploding cannon almost took him out, and his reaction was “hmmm I’m glad I’ve got Yoru” and not “wow, this new tech is pretty dangerous, even to me.”

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

Yeah, doesn't the last book heavily imply (maybe even outright state) that bayaz is orchestrating the revolutions? Given how long Bayaz has been around and how much of a schemer he is, it seems like he can see that change is coming and wants to be in charge of that, too.

It's very possible that the book does not say this and that I'm confusing text with my own predictions, I haven't read it since it came out

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

He does it in the first trilogy too, by having Yoru impersonate the head the peasant rebellion. He knows these things happen, he probably wanted to make sure in this instance that he was in control of it from the beginning. If the Weaver isn't Bayaz I'll be pretty surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Khizan posted:

I never got the impression that Bayaz is an Eater from that. More that he was doing it to gently caress with Calder and prove how few fucks he gave. The thing about being an Eater is that once you're an Eater you're an Eater forever, and I can't see Bayaz signing up for that.

He's also not one to leave a card unplayed. I'm not convinced he's an eater by the end of that book, but I don't think it's beyond him to become one if that's what it takes to win the conflict du jour he's a part of.