Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

DoctaFun posted:

My local shop had some Midwinter’s night dram on the shelf last night at $76, which I think is the lowest I’ve seen. I wonder if high west dropped the retail price on it a bit.

I am not far from High West and they have not dropped the price. As I'm in Utah, sadly, where the biggest discount is MAYBE 5 bucks I can ensure you it is still something like 90 bucks here and at the distillery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!

DoctaFun posted:

My local shop had some Midwinter’s night dram on the shelf last night at $76, which I think is the lowest I’ve seen. I wonder if high west dropped the retail price on it a bit.

They also have some of the new Maker’s Mark RC6 that I’m deciding whether to pickup or not.

Thats a pretty reasonable price for it. It's going for 99 in Bevmos by me and like 120ish in local non chains that have access to it.

mango sentinel posted:

I know someone who regularly drinks Johnnie Walker Red on the rocks and want to buy him a bottle of something nicer for Christmas that isn't just JW Black. What's something under $60 that's an upgrade to JW Red but with a similar kind of flavor profile?

Sticking with JW, people seem to like Green a lot, or Gold which I think is less peated than green. There is also double black and the different Game of Thrones releases they did if that is something they are into.

Monkey shoulder seems like a fairly popular blend too.

biggfoo fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 21, 2019

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I did a quick search and Famous Grouse blended came up as a solid upgraded pick. Otherwise I really do like Green Label and while still the Walker label, I think it's a solid choice.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I got a good deal on Midleton Very Rare 2018. Anyone try this particular vintage before?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
On the same note as grouse and monkey shoulder the other animals are good JW alternatives: Pigs nose or sheep dip

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I liked Monkey Shoulder quite a bit

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

spankmeister posted:

I got a good deal on Midleton Very Rare 2018. Anyone try this particular vintage before?

I haven't had 2018 but the bottle I had like 10 years ago was fantastic

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Rock My Socks! posted:

Any opinions on Speyburn 10yr here? My local Costco has it for like $22

If anCnoc 12 is anywhere close to it in price, the two extra years are worth it. I find that Inverhouse owned distilleries definitely have similar house styles for whatever reason.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
My wife asked what I wanted for Christmas, on the condition that it isn't baby related (we're new parents) or kitchen stuff (I have a tendency to ask for cookware...). Thinking I might finally start a little whisk(e)y collection of my own. Looking for a few recommendations:

1) Whisky glasses. Worth buying if all I have are rocks glasses? Any reason to spend big or is anything with the basic Glencairn shape fine?

2) Suggestions for a Scotch in the $50-60 range. Maybe up to $75 if we go cheap on #1. I'd rather give her a few options and let her choose. Highland Park 12 seems to be widely suggested in this thread. I'd like something with some light smoke/peat and some seaside character, but not all the way to Laphroaig 10 year.. I've tried that and liked it, but it's more of a one glass every few months kind of thing. I've had other Scotches and liked them all, but besides Lagavulin 16 and an Oban they're kind of a blur.

3) My wife likes Irish whiskey, specifically Redbreast 15. It can be hard to find (although it looks like there are a few bottles available locally right now). Suggestions for an alternative, either as a backup or path for branching out? She's not a fan of the 12 year.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Roxks glasses are perfectly adequate, but I prefer a Glencairn. Don't need anything fancier, in my opinion. I do suggest rinsing with filtered water, because you can actually smell tap water in those things.

For a bit of smoke and salt, Talisker 10 nails it, and should be findable for $60-$70. HP is good, but I wouldn't call it seaside/salty.

I know nothing about Irish whiskey.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oban 14 comes packing with seaside flavors. Highly recommended.

For Irish there's nothing quite like Redbreast 15 imo but the Green Spot is another excellent Irish whiskey, although with a fresher aroma of green apple and mint instead of the raisiny Christmas cake flavors of the Redbreast.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Enigma posted:

Glencairn. I do suggest rinsing with filtered water, because you can actually smell tap water in those things.

I sometimes dread seeing these, or the more extreme beer tulips, at a bar because it's a coin toss as to whether I'll just get a nose full of their rinse sink/dishwasher/polishing cloth that sat damp for too long instead of my drink.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

Discussion Quorum posted:

My wife asked what I wanted for Christmas, on the condition that it isn't baby related (we're new parents) or kitchen stuff (I have a tendency to ask for cookware...). Thinking I might finally start a little whisk(e)y collection of my own. Looking for a few recommendations:

1) Whisky glasses. Worth buying if all I have are rocks glasses? Any reason to spend big or is anything with the basic Glencairn shape fine?

2) Suggestions for a Scotch in the $50-60 range. Maybe up to $75 if we go cheap on #1. I'd rather give her a few options and let her choose. Highland Park 12 seems to be widely suggested in this thread. I'd like something with some light smoke/peat and some seaside character, but not all the way to Laphroaig 10 year.. I've tried that and liked it, but it's more of a one glass every few months kind of thing. I've had other Scotches and liked them all, but besides Lagavulin 16 and an Oban they're kind of a blur.

3) My wife likes Irish whiskey, specifically Redbreast 15. It can be hard to find (although it looks like there are a few bottles available locally right now). Suggestions for an alternative, either as a backup or path for branching out? She's not a fan of the 12 year.

Glencarins are nice but there's nothing wrong with rocks glasses either. Could also look at getting nosing copitas if you prefer stemware.

Redbreast 12 Cask Strength is quite good and I think the best bang for the buck in their range. Green/Yellow/Red spot depending on your price tolerance are good as well. Writers Tears is on the cheaper/younger side but pretty decent, and there's some cask strength and finish variations.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I love my Canadian Whiskey glasses much more than my Glencairns. The size feels a lot better in the hand. They're a similar basic shape, but closer in size to a rocks glass instead of a shot glass.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
The Spots are a little pricey, but I'd probably say Green is the best of the three. Yellow I don't remember much of but too similar to green for the price, Red was a letdown, and I'm hoping the future Blue Spot is worth the wait.

Seconding Writer's Tears being good whiskey. I've yet to see any variants hit Pennsylvania state stores, however.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Made a few Manhattans using Stagg Jr. again, my friend wasn't too pleased with it, but what is the point of having good whiskey if you don't drink it the way you want to?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Powers John Lane is a FANTASTIC Irish Whiskey that rivals Res Breast in my opinion. Green Spot is a little to appleish for me personally. Ripe apple, moist apple, crisp apple. Just.
Apple

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I always get apple, camphor and mint.

It's delicious

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Thanks for the recommendations. Talisker 10 year came up as an idea as I browsed through the thread, so good to see I got that one right. What about the Bunnahabhain 12yr? I understand it's not peated but still has some saltiness.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Of the non-peated or barely peated whiskies I've had, which admittedly isn't many, the Bun 12 is near the top.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Not even sure so would call Bunnahabhain 12 briny/salty. It’s nutty, chewy, with some faint astringency of dried fruits.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
If you wanna go all in on brine I really like Talisker Storm.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 24, 2019

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Not even sure so would call Bunnahabhain 12 briny/salty. It’s nutty, chewy, with some faint astringency of dried fruits.

Agreed, I don't remember it being particularly salty.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
agreed on Powers John Lane. Love it.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Another good peat/brine option that isn't the standard options from Islay is Ledaig 10.

Bunnahabhain 12 is great stuff, but its more like just the barest whiff of brininess, if at all. And I've never really tasted any real peat from it, its more chewy toffee and rich dried fruit to me. Bunna does make some peated versions though, which is also really good. Just good luck pronouncing their names (Ceobanach or Toiteach A Dhà)

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

mango sentinel posted:

If you wanna go all in on brine I really like Talisker Storm.

I don't want to go all in on anything for the first couple bottles in my collection. Looking to build a fairly well balanced core first (so maybe bottle #2 will be more honey/heather/fruit dominant). I just wanted to give my wife a few ideas/flavor profiles to start with - we're lucky to have some liquor stores nearby with salespeople that seem knowledgeable about their areas. It will make her happy, even if I know she's getting me a Scotch of some sort :)

But that does sound good so it's not a bad idea for later.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

Might not be a best bet for a new collection but springbank longrow peated is pretty decent.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

My mother-in-law apparently has been loving Glenfiddich 14 and asked for us to get her something that would be similar to it for Christmas. Anyone had it or have a good idea of what she also might like that's close in flavor profile?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Carillon posted:

My mother-in-law apparently has been loving Glenfiddich 14 and asked for us to get her something that would be similar to it for Christmas. Anyone had it or have a good idea of what she also might like that's close in flavor profile?

Balvenie 12yr.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Carillon posted:

Glengoyne
Glenmorangie(they do a lot of interesting casting you may want to shy away from)

Maybe stick with Glenfiddich and do the Fire and Cane or XX?

Edit: Dalwhinnie 15 might be great? Has some complexity going on

Tiny Chalupa fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 26, 2019

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Mmmm, enjoying some eggnog and EW1783.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Carillon posted:

Iirc Glenfiddich 14 is pretty drat oaky so maybe a bourbon like woodford double oak?

Apache
May 11, 2004

Got my first Flaviar tasting set last week, the three Balcones samples. Of the three, the only one the wife and I really liked was the baby blue corn, which was mild and sweet. The rye and the Texas single malt were a bit harsh, and not overly complex either. Kind of disappointing overall for the sampler. I may use my 45 dollar credit from this quarter on either Tallisker Storm or Starward Nova. Has anyone here tried the Starward? I think it may be pretty interesting due to the differing climate for aging as well as spending the entire process in red wine casks.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

A friend brought about 30 assorted bottles from The Scotch Malt Whisky Society and holy poo poo I don't want to drink anything else anymore but I do not have that kind of money.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

Current go to is Oban 14. Find it has a lot going on but still very smooth. Only a small peat flavour to me with a lot of fruit and a bit of salt. Lovely stuff. Not expensive.

Love sherry casked stuff in general. Lucky enough to have a 2012 yamazaki sherry cask which is my all time favourite in my collection but anything like that has just gone stratospheric and beyond it’s worth imo.

Tried a kavalan soloist sherry cask which I thought was good but maybe lacking depth. Redbreast 21 was good.

Just struggling to pick some new ones to try out for Christmas this year. Grabbed a bottle of Nantou Omar so far and now stuck with what else to try. I seem to lean towards foreign stuff as often find scotch overly peated but I know this is an incorrect generalisation I just need to find some things I like.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Any Glendronach. Their Cask Strength releases in particular.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Anyone else happen to get this advent calendar this year?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
We have gotten it in the past but the shipping costs are just way to high nowadays. It was legit good though the couple of years we got it. We got some other US made whiskey advent calendar last year instead and it was mediocre at best.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I got it this year; I forget the distributor from the UK I used but shipping wasn't quite as bad as I thought. Seemed like a fun way to try a lot of new scotches on the (relatively) cheap.

The first two were great, but yesterday was "Copper Dog" which was really strange to me. It smelled like banana bread and had really overwhelming fruity notes with a confusing, lingering aftertaste. They can't all be winners for everyone I guess.

EDIT: New thread title suggestion from my girlfriend (who despises whiskey in all forms). She saw this on my dashboard and said, "At least they've consolidated all of you sanctimonious bonfire-lickers in one place away from the rest of us."

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Bape Culture posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

Current go to is Oban 14. Find it has a lot going on but still very smooth. Only a small peat flavour to me with a lot of fruit and a bit of salt. Lovely stuff. Not expensive.

Love sherry casked stuff in general. Lucky enough to have a 2012 yamazaki sherry cask which is my all time favourite in my collection but anything like that has just gone stratospheric and beyond it’s worth imo.

Tried a kavalan soloist sherry cask which I thought was good but maybe lacking depth. Redbreast 21 was good.

Just struggling to pick some new ones to try out for Christmas this year. Grabbed a bottle of Nantou Omar so far and now stuck with what else to try. I seem to lean towards foreign stuff as often find scotch overly peated but I know this is an incorrect generalisation I just need to find some things I like.

Glendronach 18 is fantastic, and the stuff you can buy right now is actually more like 24 years old even though it’s labeled as an 18 year.

If you like cask strength stuff I’d recommend Deanston 9 year Bordeaux finish or Aberlour A’bunadh. My batch of A’bunadh has the most wonderful mouthfeel I’ve ever had in a whisky.

I’ve never had it, but if you like Redbreast you could try their Lustau, which is sherry cask finished I believe.