Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Superterranean posted:

Ftfy: "surely there exists someone ELSE who will get me 315%yoy, so I will take my investment to them unless you say it's OK for me to render the planet uninhabitable. More quickly, I mean."

Thank you! I was well aware when I wrote that that my knowledge was inadequate for the joke, and really could not be bothered to do the research necessary to ensure that I wrote it correctly. I was actually hoping someone would do what you have just done :D

Edit: Oh boy, you people are lucky that I happened to be the one to snipe this page, because I'm clearly Mr Numbers!

316 is a number! :pseudo:

Braggart fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Nov 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kernel Monsoon posted:

This is how my constituency went down in the 2017 GE. Labour and Lib dems essentially split the vote.

Lid dems had managed to hold this seat from 97' until 2015, and labour has never held the seat here.

I obviously want to vote labour, but not at the risk of letting the tories back in. Should I hold my nose and vote lib dem, or what?

I'd just vote labour. If it was closer to the lib dems fair enough because you might at least not get a far right mp for local issues but with that its not really a tactical vote

lmao

https://twitter.com/RootLeftNews/status/1198551397932969984?s=20

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Just do 100% inheritance tax but only over a limit of Ł5 million or something. That should be more than enough to include a house and enough money to take care of your children for the rest of their lives if they can't work themselves, while going over the large dynastic fortunes that are the real problem. Of course it means also closing the loopholes that let the ultra-rich avoid inheritance tax in the first place.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Been invited to this:

https://www.thecockpit.org.uk/show/church_of_burn

My first reaction is that this is basically disgusting when people are freezing to death on the streets.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Lib Dems are promising even more austerity, which will crush our economy and people far more than any soft Brexit deal (which we may still avoid under Labour). The idea that you can vote Lib Dem to avoid Conservative brutality is a ship that has now sailed right over the horizon.

[edit] Today money burning people around absolutely batshit insane, as well as phenomenally selfish.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Nov 24, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Excuse you the lib dem ship has in fact sailed to valinor and Jo; will be bringing back the light of the valar to middle earth any time now.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The Lib Dems are promising even more austerity, which will crush our economy and people far more than any soft Brexit deal (which we may still avoid under Labour). The idea that you can vote Lib Dem to avoid Conservative brutality is a ship that has now sailed right over the horizon.

this x1000

the LDs will always align themselves with tories, because their narrative that labour is now extreme left is their way of trying to keep hold of so many of their vote voters

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Necrothatcher posted:

Been invited to this:

My first reaction is that this is basically disgusting when people are freezing to death on the streets.

gently caress me this guy is tedious:

quote:

Whilst at the L.S.E. I spread my net as wide as I was allowed and then a little wider still, and tried to find out what Philosophy, Anthropology and Sociology had to say about Money. I also fell in love with Freud. It's a romance that's still ongoing, despite us not seeing eye to eye on Money. Around the time I was deciding whether or not to stay on for further study, I got a comment on a paper I'd written in which I'd claimed that Money seemed more like Gravity than anything else. My Philosophy Professor said that was 'plainly crazy'.

It smarted a bit at the time, but it helped me to make a decision. I went off and started a sex site called NaturalSex with Sally, my wife, and her friend. As you do. I had a great time doing that, but ended up a bankrupt.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Excuse you the lib dem ship has in fact sailed to valinor and Jo; will be bringing back the light of the valar to middle earth any time now.

its sailing to the US armed with trident

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I think tactical voting doesn't really work as you end up with a lot of people not voting for who they want due to tactics, so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I think with the uptick in young voters that voting Labour stands a good chance - and if they don't get in it sets a precedent for future elections.

Don't vote tactically, don't protest vote, don't spoil your ballot, don't not turn up - vote for what you want.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

According to the Electroal calculus if the recent poll were to reflect the final result we'd have a 436 MP Tory majority.

I don't see that, somehow, but a lot of people sure are panicking.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Necrothatcher posted:

Been invited to this:

It's loving horrid, like teenage edginess but actually harmful

If they want to loosen the hold money has over them and help the vulnerable, they should look into donating and volunteering instead but I'm pretty sure they just want to be edgy

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 24, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That doesn't sound half as exciting as burning money like you're some kind of very lame bible dude or something.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pochoclo posted:

If they want to loosen the hold money has over them and help the vulnerable, they should look into donating and volunteering instead but I'm pretty sure they just want to be edgy

They want to be the KLF, or possibly the Joker. They're actually the Bullingdon Club.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you wanna bring back old timey nonsense I vote for stuffing yourself in a giant brass bull and getting someone to set you on fire.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
holy poo poo lol

https://twitter.com/Corbynator2_0/status/1198373683703828482?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

John's pretty great lol.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

OwlFancier posted:

That doesn't sound half as exciting as burning money like you're some kind of very lame bible dude or something.
It basically does look like the late capitalist version of host desecration.

You know that the Church is all controlling, and broken, and corrupt, and so does everyone else, but not everyone knows that everyone else does, and not everyone knows in the same way.

But deprived of any way of attacking the structure of the Church, you instead choose to make a statement by burning the pieces of dry bread that they believe are the body of their God.

Thus proving what? That they're only tokens? There's been multiple posts over the past few pages proving that.

But host desecration doesn't change anything. A mass walkout of the system changes things, nailing your demands to the temple doors changes things, everybody going out armed and engaging in bishop kicking changes things.

e: Not sure what the late capitalist version of bishop kicking is. Would go with banker spanking but I think they pay for that.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 24, 2019

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Necrothatcher posted:

Been invited to this:

What the gently caress.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

This hominid creature was my MP from 2010 to 2017. Labour got him out last time around but only by a margin of 3% of the vote share, or roughly 1,500 votes, and he's now campaigning on the message that he supported Brexit even before the referendum. I can't recall brexit specifically, but I can believe it, as I do remember his campaigning on the issues of immigration throughout his tenure. Also because UKIP had a huge influence here in the 00s, they even had a bricks and mortar permanent clubhouse here at one point, so he'd have needed to do something to prevent votes bleeding from him.

Before him was Labour MP Gillian Merron. On a personal level, my parents wrote to her when I was denied a place at the secondary school my sister attended, despite their advertised assurances that they accept siblings of current students. They rejected me due to my bad attendance record, but this was a result of my coeliacs disease which had been undiagnosed for a great part of my primary school education. That's what the letter was about. After getting a quick response from her office, they did something behind the scenes that saw me get into that school.

I compare this with so many people I know who wrote to Karl McCartney, who simply deferred to other organisations when asked for any assistance, in one case he deferred a friend who was having trouble with immigration to the same immigration department who was wronging him. I daren't look into Merron or McCartney's voting records for Westminster, but on a local level I see that McCartney was an utter poo poo.

We need to keep Karen Lee.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 24, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bishop Kicking presumably done competitively at the same festival as throwing a rector down a hill and racing them to the bottom and sticking your head through a broken stained glass window and trying to make your face look beatific.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Necrothatcher posted:

Been invited to this:

This is 1000% somebody who is way, way too deep into Burning Man

E: Or possibly way too deep into that one level from Hitman

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Mad props to all the people who effortposted to the Pissflaps alt. Your patience is far greater than mine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Bishop Kicking presumably done competitively at the same festival as throwing a rector down a hill and racing them to the bottom and sticking your head through a broken stained glass window and trying to make your face look beatific.
Followed by pignatta.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Goddamn.

quote:

By now we are eating the pudding, a small, sickly sweet brown ball. I throw him the question that has made other politicians stumble: “What’s the naughtiest thing you’ve ever done?”

My mind flickers back to McDonnell’s study, where there is still a tribute to IRA terrorists. He looks me in the eye: “I’m not going to admit to it because I could still be arrested.”

There’s a pause. “I presume you’re joking?” I reply uncertainly.

He leans forward and produces a stony death stare, before relaxing his face: “Of course I am.”

:byodood: Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found at https://www.ft.com/tour.
https://www.ft.com/content/d912cffa-cd7c-11e9-99a4-b5ded7a7fe3f :byodood:

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Hello!

I’m arguing with what I assume is one of the staff of Florence McDonald, the Lib Dem candidate for Truro and Falmouth.

Has anyone seen a Lib Dem bullshit chart for that area? I’m sure I did but I can’t find it now.

He’s stating that Florence has not been part of any misleading bar chart business. I think he’s trying to state it to read “she would never do that” when what he’s actually saying is “she just wasn’t involved in their production” and I’d quite like to correct that with some actual facts.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Jose posted:

I'd just vote labour. If it was closer to the lib dems fair enough because you might at least not get a far right mp for local issues but with that its not really a tactical vote

That's fair advice thanks. I also just made a donation to the local labour candidate. We have a local hospital nearby that's going to lose its A&E department under the tories, although they'll tell you repeatedly that they're spending 'record amounts' on it of course.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Jorc; :hmmorks:

GRUNT! Squi-rčl! :orks:

:orks101: :orks101: :orks101: :orks101: :orks101: :byodame:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Hello!

I’m arguing with what I assume is one of the staff of Florence McDonald, the Lib Dem candidate for Truro and Falmouth.

Has anyone seen a Lib Dem bullshit chart for that area? I’m sure I did but I can’t find it now.

He’s stating that Florence has not been part of any misleading bar chart business. I think he’s trying to state it to read “she would never do that” when what he’s actually saying is “she just wasn’t involved in their production” and I’d quite like to correct that with some actual facts.

https://twitter.com/Lesley_KP/status/1196504109693775872

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

My bad, I got the wrong area, Florence is Camborne Redruth Hayle.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Hello!

Isn't Ruth Gripper the LD candidate?

The LDs are dead in cornwall, and hopefully stay that way.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is not dead which can eternal lie about its electoral prospects.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

That is not dead which can eternal lie about its electoral prospects.
:golfclap:

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Ratjaculation posted:

Isn't Ruth Gripper the LD candidate?

The LDs are dead in cornwall, and hopefully stay that way.

Yeah I got the wrong bit, Florence is Camborne Redruth Hayle.

Andrew George is still the guy in St. Ives though (if you want Derek loving Thomas to stop making GBS threads the place up anyway), Labour really haven’t got much of a shot there and Andrew George has posted in his Facebook comments that if there’s a coalition he’d leave the party. He also has mostly voted like a human according to the usual vote checking websites.

I’m in Paul Farmer’s area anyway and he gets my vote.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Thus proving what? That they're only tokens? There's been multiple posts over the past few pages proving that.

I shitpost because I can't afford to burn money! :pseudo:

To any Tories reading, this is definitely what leftists think. You should rush out and start arguments with people to convince them of this.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Braggart posted:

I shitpost because I can't afford to burn money! :pseudo:
Nailing your 95 feces to the temple door.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Azza Bamboo posted:

This hominid creature was my MP from 2010 to 2017. Labour got him out last time around but only by a margin of 3% of the vote share, or roughly 1,500 votes, and he's now campaigning on the message that he supported Brexit even before the referendum. I can't recall brexit specifically, but I can believe it, as I do remember his campaigning on the issues of immigration throughout his tenure. Also because UKIP had a huge influence here in the 00s, they even had a bricks and mortar permanent clubhouse here at one point, so he'd have needed to do something to prevent votes bleeding from him.

Before him was Labour MP Gillian Merron. On a personal level, my parents wrote to her when I was denied a place at the secondary school my sister attended, despite their advertised assurances that they accept siblings of current students. They rejected me due to my bad attendance record, but this was a result of my coeliacs disease which had been undiagnosed for a great part of my primary school education. That's what the letter was about. After getting a quick response from her office, they did something behind the scenes that saw me get into that school.

I compare this with so many people I know who wrote to Karl McCartney, who simply deferred to other organisations when asked for any assistance, in one case he deferred a friend who was having trouble with immigration to the same immigration department who was wronging him. I daren't look into Merron or McCartney's voting records for Westminster, but on a local level I see that McCartney was an utter poo poo.

We need to keep Karen Lee.

loving hope you do mate :hai:

One of my best friends has coeliac that went undiagnosed for a long time. And as a fellow undiagnosee with different conditions, I can sympathise from my own experience as well as what my friend has told me.

Solidarity, good poster and good arter Azza Bamboo :glomp:

Braggart fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 24, 2019

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008
Jess Phillips is terrible. I know she’s bad, but I at least thought she’d put some effort into promoting Labour for the election. I checked out here Twitter. Couple of WASPI tweets, one about childcare, 0 about the manifesto or any other related policies. Just a load of tweets about a conservative video about her, and her own re-election efforts.

I don’t know why I’m shocked, but in such a crucial election it boils my blood.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Nailing your 95 feces to the temple door.

You want the top end of the chart to make sure it sticks.

On no account let the bottom of the chart into power! You think things are lovely now? Just you wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Private Speech posted:

According to the Electroal calculus if the recent poll were to reflect the final result we'd have a 436 MP Tory majority.

I don't see that, somehow, but a lot of people sure are panicking.

I just had to talk my mum down as she was feeling depressed about the prospect of 5 more years of the Tories neglecting the environment, which has been her pet issue her entire life. Hell, a 19 point lead is depressing to me even though I know it's an insane result - part of me can't help feeling that, even if it's exaggerated, surely there's only so far you can go in massaging your figures? Are we really losing ground despite everything?

Pretty sure we aren't though. This poo poo is just designed to demoralise us.

E: quick someone analyse the raw data and reassure me

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 24, 2019