Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's a lot like the alcoholism subplot, bad stuff happens sometimes, and people gotta deal with it. Just bad things that happen to androids is kinda weird because it has to do with a bunch of stuff outside of the human experience.

Adventure Time played the same game of speckling the background with crazy postapocalyptic stuff that was at no point relevant, although Adventure Time's foreground was also pretty fantastical.

The funniest page of QC that drew me in was the one where they guy put on his glasses to see a hologram of an anime maid there and just went and noped outta there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

this is the first take that has ever made me want to read QC and i wish i could believe Jacques did it intentionally

he can be a pretty sharp and funny guy, just never ever ever when writing his actual comic

David Willis syndrome

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

he can be a pretty sharp and funny guy, just never ever ever when writing his actual comic

David Willis syndrome

because his comic is Garfield for hipsters

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

It's not the bad stuff happening that bothers me, it's that the bad stuff got totally defanged out of nowhere by a pretty literal Deus Ex Machina. If you're going to have plot, commit to having plot. If the joke is that Neuromancer is happening in the background, you can't have that stuff intrude on the main characters' lives only until it's genuinely inconvenient then magically it's fixed and you don't have to worry about it anymore.

Or, I mean, you can, but that doesn't make it a good plot beat or an effective story. It just makes the minor conflicts really minor, and the major conflicts get shuffled off-stage before they can do anything.

E: also this is a minor peeve but 'the singularity' absolutely did not happen in QC. The Singularity doesn't mean 'super-smart AI' it means 'the point at which the world of tomorrow is as distant from the world of today as the Microsoft Anti-Trust Act is from the lived experience of Joan of Arc' to use Vinge's original example. This is often understood in science fiction as taking off when smart AI can build smarter AI, but, if the world isn't changing and people aren't having to deal with a collapse of their lived experience in the face of the new, it's not the singularity. At all. Definitionally.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 24, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

David Willis syndrome

It is a pity that Willis' best stuff is snarky comments on the Transformers wiki.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Dave Willis is the loving worst and 36 new posts about questionable content is WAY too much

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man reading someone write tons of angry words about how much they hate QC sucks and makes me actually want to defend it which is a feeling I never wanted to have. So stop it, not caring about QC is the only emotion anyone should feel about it drat it!!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

not caring about QC is the only emotion anyone should feel about it drat it!!

It's worked for Jacques! :downsrim:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TwoPair posted:

It's worked for Jacques! :downsrim:

exactly, we must follow his example

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I need to keep in mind what I dislike to outweigh the force of habit that would make me waste more time on it.

Unrelated, but Sleepless Domain is being charming.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Cube is a gift we don't deserve and her twitter posts are magical.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
I too, have a QC question.

Why so many of the new robots hot?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Who the hell would make a non-hot robot?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kennel posted:

Who the hell would make a non-hot robot?

Someone's gotta be the X-32 of robots

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Are they hot? They seem like just JephJack's baseline style with maybe a little less features.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I can't relate to attractive, or even average looking, robots

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Ever since Questionable Content killed my parents I've been on a quest to master every martial art in the world to take my revenge.

I'm at 66 so far.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm trying to imagine Batman in QC-verse but I have no idea where to even start.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm trying to imagine Batman in QC-verse but I have no idea where to even start.

Didn't QC have some sort of vigilante way back in the early days? Something involving a Vespa I think. I vaguely remember Marten using a stop sign as a weapon and find it hard to imagine it's the same comic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tenebrais posted:

Didn't QC have some sort of vigilante way back in the early days? Something involving a Vespa I think. I vaguely remember Marten using a stop sign as a weapon and find it hard to imagine it's the same comic.

Yeah, the... deep sigh... 'Vespavenger.'

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

Cube is a gift we don't deserve and her twitter posts are magical.

I understand and appriciate that Sleepless Domain is where her heart is now, but I just wish she'd hurry up and wrap up Kiwi Blitz already. It's like probably 20-30 pages from an ending, if even, and this one update very two weeks... maybe poo poo is just torture.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That was from when QC was at the peak of it's "yeah, why not" weirdness. I prefer that to its current "modern life except when it's not" setting.

Remember when Martin's best friend used to be a secret agent? Remember Pizza Girl?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

PMush Perfect posted:

That was from when QC was at the peak of it's "yeah, why not" weirdness. I prefer that to its current "modern life except when it's not" setting.

Remember when Martin's best friend used to be a secret agent? Remember Pizza Girl?
There's an allisaurous serial killer that eats all of the old characters, I thought we agreed on that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

There's an allisaurous serial killer that eats all of the old characters, I thought we agreed on that.
It's not very good at it, though, since it always throws them back up whenever Jeph decides he wants to include one. (Sven has been in and out of that stomach so many times he should ask about getting a punchcard.)

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's been a few webcomics that officially end and then put out a couple one-offs sporadically afterwards. I think that was Willis's plan for It's Walky and Shortpacked before he relapsed and started Dumbing of Age. And then there's Bobbins.

I think a lot of creators even when they have the courage to do a finale wind up with stories just oozing out of them after a while unless they purposefully move onto another project.

Not that it was ever super big on continuity to begin with, but The Non-Adventures of Wonderella has been pretty good at posting a few strips every year even after it ended.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

PMush Perfect posted:

Yeah but then there was the whole invisible alpaca thing or "this side character is now having Serious Emotional Plot Time because another big robot dude just kinda tripped and fell on her and smooshed her with his butt heehee".

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
It seems like it's exhausting and frustrating to have opinions about Questionable Content.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The real reason "Sam and Fuzzy" is ending is because Sam Logan's stripper pinups couldn't compete with Jeph Jaques's robo-nudies.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Yeah but then there was the whole invisible alpaca thing or "this side character is now having Serious Emotional Plot Time because another big robot dude just kinda tripped and fell on her and smooshed her with his butt heehee".
The latter is definitely one of the "near miss on genuine interesting exploration of a post-AI society" arcs. I was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't just resolved via Deus Ex Machina. (It was instead resolved via... self-makeout vision quest. Okay. Sure.)

I enjoy QC for what it is, but it is not lost on me how far it is from what it could be.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In other news, Tigress Queen has been updating pretty regularly for a while now and it's amazing.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Mors Rattus posted:

In other news, Tigress Queen has been updating pretty regularly for a while now and it's amazing.

Ooh, this looks great, thanks!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It and Godslave are my two current fave comics at the moment.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I understand and appriciate that Sleepless Domain is where her heart is now, but I just wish she'd hurry up and wrap up Kiwi Blitz already. It's like probably 20-30 pages from an ending, if even, and this one update very two weeks... maybe poo poo is just torture.

While KB isn't bad, Sleepless Domain is so much better that I can't really blame her.

I also want to say how much I loved Let's Speak English, since I discovered it when I, too, was an ESL teacher in Japan.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
rereading some of gunnerkrigg because of a linked page and i dont remember if i noticed how incredibly good this panel is the first time

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

...I really dislike that apparently Coyote planned to get killed given how great the set-up was for him being blindsided by Ysengrim’s intense resentment.

I don’t mean to be complaining constantly about comics, and I certainly still follow Gunnerkrigg. But it takes something away from that whole set-up if he was in control the whole time.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 26, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He could have set it up then forgotten about it so he could get surprised for real

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Synthbuttrange posted:

He could have set it up then forgotten about it so he could get surprised for real

Oh, sure, but like... that's my problem, I don't like the idea that he had total control and everything went according to plan, when the set-up and results are way more satisfying and interesting if he didn't totally set everything in motion.

Plus the mythological Coyote was hardly known for always having the last laugh.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i get the feeling that this still wont go down as coyote planned

i can absolutely buy that coyote surprised himself with murder tho, thats right in line w his primary concern being staving off boredom

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
in tonight's All-Night-Laundry, it seems the botfly is being empowered directly by the metanarrative itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So Smackjeeves is gonna turn into a Tapas clone. Importantly, this means:

quote:

Removed Features on Smack Jeeves
  • 1. Custom Domain & Template
    In order to accomodate a streamlined browsing experience on both mobile and web, we will no longer offer custom URLs and templates.
  • 2. Messages
    Messaging between users will no longer be supported. However authors are more than welcome to post their own contact information or use the comment section to communicate with readers and Discord will remain open.
  • 3. Forum
    The forum will be archived and changed to read-only status. Smack Jeeves will have a new FAQ section and contact email for inquiries.

If you have a webcomic on Smackjeeves and you're using a custom template and/or a custom URL, now's the time to look into moving. Someone made a template converter to move to ComicFury, so that's one possible alternative.