Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Speaking of early Magic pros and grifting, did we ever talk about Zvi falling in deep with the LessWrong crowd? Because that's a thing that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sit on my Jace posted:

Speaking of early Magic pros and grifting, did we ever talk about Zvi falling in deep with the LessWrong crowd? Because that's a thing that happened.

99% of people have no idea what you're talking about and this "did we ever talk about" poo poo is the most passive-aggressive idiocy. If you think somebody did something lovely, and you think it's got merit as a discussion, spit it the gently caress out.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sit on my Jace posted:

Considering that Zvi is basically who I imagine when I think of “average LessWrong devotee” I am not surprised.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rkajdi posted:

Stupid question here:

I've accumulated a decent number of higher value cards that I'm never going to play via prize packs. Stuff like promo foil hydroid krasis. I am an idiot for thinking about setting up a TCGPlayer shop to sell these kind of high dollar cards instead of getting 50% value in store credit for them? I'm specifically not talking about doing mtgfinance, just selling all the stuff I have that isn't modern/pioneer playable and over $5. It think the count is like 15 cards and maybe $150 "value". I've already unloaded everything I could to local players, but the drop in selling to an LGS seems so high.

Have you tried your friendly local SA MTG buying/selling thread?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toshimo posted:

99% of people have no idea what you're talking about and this "did we ever talk about" poo poo is the most passive-aggressive idiocy. If you think somebody did something lovely, and you think it's got merit as a discussion, spit it the gently caress out.

Watch out fellas, we got another Toshimo Takedown™ over here. Epic win, dude

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Clowner posted:

Agreed, Toshimo is an excellent poster and should be celebrated for their good posts.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I dunno what this is.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The Clowner posted:

not a word Toshimo said in that post was incorrect

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Tubgoat posted:

I dunno what this is.

Some people obsessed with AI, the singularity, and misunderstanding Bayesian Statistics. They are led by a Harry Potter fanfic writer. Annoying but I think harmless.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

neaden posted:

Some people obsessed with AI, the singularity, and misunderstanding Bayesian Statistics. They are led by a Harry Potter fanfic writer. Annoying but I think harmless.

Related to Roko's Basilisk?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

unfortunately rk is requesting a permaban from SA so that will sadly be closed to him as an option.

godspeed goon, may you escape from this hell that has entrapped the rest of us.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

We all post down here, you'll post too.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Lone Goat posted:

not a word Toshimo said in that post was incorrect

Yeah Toshimo is a noted sucker of posting balls but he is spot on right here :keke:

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Toshimo posted:

There's nothing really serious that needs talking about, it's a weird nerd cult and it's funny to me. That's all.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
You have could given us some context. Without it I was thinking another gamergate type thing.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

neaden posted:

ahhhh so thats what jk rowling is up to these days

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This was funny

https://twitter.com/zan_syed/status/1198467638315429888?s=21

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Rinkles posted:

You have could given us some context. Without it I was thinking another gamergate type thing.

Same. I guess they're harmless idiot nerds?

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Wow, this new star city games site sure is something. It looks like they have completely removed their search engine that let you search based on type, rarity, legality, cmc, etc, and now you can only search for singles by name. Very cool.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rahu posted:

Wow, this new star city games site sure is something. It looks like they have completely removed their search engine that let you search based on type, rarity, legality, cmc, etc, and now you can only search for singles by name. Very cool.

It's unusable on mobile. I can't see it being much better on desktop. They went with that awesome auto-populating search bar menu that doesn't actually update correctly like TCGPlayer uses, so you end up having to delete part of your search and type it again but slower. Then you have to scroll through every different version of the card you're looking for in that menu instead of being allowed to go to a landing page with all the versions of that card. I can't imagine who designed this or decided it was acceptable to release.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I really like how when I search for a card it will list a bunch of out of stock or expensive promo/foil versions above the normal one.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
There are people on here who actually buy from SCG? Color me surprised.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

AlternateNu posted:

some of your fellow posters are addicted to the sweet taste of russian foils

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
And the new SCG website will probably put those Russian foils higher on the list than the regular English editions.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ve used all the biggest card retailers online and SCG has by FAR the worst customer service. Card Kingdom and TCGPlayer both are helpful and Card Kingdom especially gives you no trouble with damaged or missing orders.

I once spent $90 on cards from SCG after selling them a bunch of poo poo and the first order was lost in the mail or something and it took nearly A MONTH for customer service to resolve the issue and in the end I had to change my order because they’d lost their only copy of cards I’d needed.

I will never give SCG a dime again if I can help it, Card Kingdom is my go to, but like I said I’ve also used TCGplayer for years have no complaints about them at all.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ve used all the biggest card retailers online and SCG has by FAR the worst customer service. Card Kingdom and TCGPlayer both are helpful and Card Kingdom especially gives you no trouble with damaged or missing orders.

I once spent $90 on cards from SCG after selling them a bunch of poo poo and the first order was lost in the mail or something and it took nearly A MONTH for customer service to resolve the issue and in the end I had to change my order because they’d lost their only copy of cards I’d needed.

I will never give SCG a dime again if I can help it, Card Kingdom is my go to, but like I said I’ve also used TCGplayer for years have no complaints about them at all.

CFB has been exceptionally good as well.

Easy order fixes with no bullshit

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

https://twitter.com/dheidecker/status/1198582780499841024?s=21

From the guy he was trying to angle shoot.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean I just don’t understand how you try to save face here. Take the L, just post “I was a scumbag and I scummed my opponent and now I am scum” instead of trying to frame it in anyway positive.

Also I literally saw a dude defend this angle-shot fervently until he realized the angler was a POC and then hard about face and call him a cheater. Magic is gross sometimes.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

I've had the opposite experience with scg. I've never had anything but good customer service from them, they mail extremely fast, and they package cards well. Any time I've had to call they were polite and one time they even called me to verify an order after an address change to make sure I wasnt being scammed. I only buy from them when they have sales or I need a particularly large order with lots of cards though. They are also really awesome with grading.

Tcgplayer has been fine for the most part and I use it a lot but I've had way more issues with cards being graded badly and I've had to request partial refunds after getting cards that were misrepresented.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I dunno, if my opponent would let me go on to my next turn after damage without mentioning my Oko is dead, and then tried to correct that mistake, I'd call a judge too.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jeoh posted:

I dunno, if my opponent would let me go on to my next turn after damage without mentioning my Oko is dead, and then tried to correct that mistake, I'd call a judge too.

1. Your opponent attacks
2. You block
3. Your opponent says "okay, your turn"
4. You put your blocker in the graveyard, untap, draw your card for turn
5. Your opponent says "hold up, your planeswalker should have taken damage".

If you're a reasonable person, is this the point where you call a judge and claim your opponent didn't say anything until your second main phase?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jeoh posted:

Assume opponent was tapped out from the reality smasher so Zan just moved to the next turn without prompting.

If Zan could say that his opponent formally passed turn he definitely would have in that story

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The idea that anyone at that level of competitive play would assign all trample damage to the bird is straight up insulting.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Wait, you can assign excessive damage to a creature with insufficient toughness to absorb trample ever? :confused:

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
In his telling, he went from “going to damage” straight to his turn. He skipped the rest of his opponents turn, trying to ignore that damage assignment was obvious.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Lone Goat posted:

maro has said on his blog that he has a ham and cheese on rye bread every single day for lunch, and that his favourite drink is ice water

I'm aware of the man's dietary issues, I don't think it's cash money to make fun of him for some poo poo he can't help. To be clear: it's not rude to ask about the sandwich but the gruel dig was unnecessary.

Also I really enjoyed the story of Zhvi getting locked in at Neutral grounds for 2 days over Christmas that BDM told, THAT'S a fun story

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 24, 2019

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Tubgoat posted:

Wait, you can assign excessive damage to a creature with insufficient toughness to absorb trample ever? :confused:

Yes. A creature must take lethal damage, but you could assign more. Lets say they have a death shadow, and you can survive the crack back and win as long as their life total doesn't go lower, you could choose to assign all 5 damage to the blocker and 0 tramples over. Also this is a stupid example but you get the idea.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AlternateNu posted:

When you figure in shipping multiple times it's usually cheaper than TCGPlayer for buying a bunch of random commons and junk rares.

Hellsau posted:

some of your fellow posters are addicted to the sweet taste of russian foils

Also this. Gotta get those Russian foil Castigates and Ojutai's Commands somewhere.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

When I lived in VA we'd go to prereleases in Roanoke since it was only about an hour away, so I have given scg money on more then one occasion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I basically only buy from tcg direct any longer and would rather go to a LGS than buy from most non-direct TCG sellers. I'm so so done with their LP or worse "NM" cards that arrive after 12 days.