Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i made everyone get macs and pay for the apple one to one, now they go to the apple store for training and it support it's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

There’s a special circle of hell for people like you

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The Fool posted:

There’s a special circle of hell for people like you

Lmao

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Given the general quality of consumer Windows laptops, I always recommend Macs when people ask me what they should get. Or a chromebook.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don’t really have a problem with macs, just the obvious lie that they were able enforce a hardware standard and training policy.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Given the general quality of consumer Windows laptops, I always recommend Macs when people ask me what they should get. Or a chromebook.

I recommend off lease business class laptops.

You can pick up a quality Lenovo or Dell for under 500 that’ll last for years. Hell my kids are still using an Dell e6410 I had for a work laptop years ago, and it does what they need it to do.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

I love macs but I've been pretty impressed with the t460s my job gave me.

I probably won't mind windows as much once WSL2 comes out for real and that new terminal launches.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

skipdogg posted:

Dell refurb is a good source for these. Do a full hardware check when it arrives cuz only 30 day warranty, but you can get a lot for your money. Our team recently got some six-core Precision laptops that would have been hard to afford new.

Probably gonna make my next personal laptop purchase through them too.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The last time my mom asked for help buying a laptop I spent a decent amount of time speccing out something reasonable that balanced cost and performance. I think I even found it on sale or refurb or something to shave the price of a nicer machine down to her budget.

A couple weeks later she brings me the $200 piece of poo poo she found at Best Buy because it was “a good deal” and also surprisingly it is running slow and can you please make it work :smithicide:

Sorry there is no way to make a windows laptop with 2GB of RAM and a spinning HD fast in TYOOL 2019, glhf.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Docjowles posted:

The last time my mom asked for help buying a laptop I spent a decent amount of time speccing out something reasonable that balanced cost and performance. I think I even found it on sale or refurb or something to shave the price of a nicer machine down to her budget.

A couple weeks later she brings me the $200 piece of poo poo she found at Best Buy because it was “a good deal” and also surprisingly it is running slow and can you please make it work :smithicide:

Sorry there is no way to make a windows laptop with 2GB of RAM and a spinning HD fast in TYOOL 2019, glhf.

I'm really glad my family doesn't disrespect my opinion/time enough to pull this poo poo. I mostly get out of doing a crazy amount of tech support for them, but that would probably be the last straw for me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's cheap as gently caress putting in an SSD. I've been doing that for people at my job, they bring in their poo poo tops and I put in a $50 SSD, fresh Windows 10 and charge $150 and they are blown away how faster it is.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Docjowles posted:

The key to parental IT support is to get them an iPad and then it stops forever.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Docjowles posted:

My wife works for a nonprofit that has a bunch of those HP Stream laptops. When they migrated to Windows 10 suddenly the OS can't update anymore because there's not enough room on the 32 gig SSD for the current build plus whatever is getting pushed down from Windows Update, and the drive and RAM are both soldered on. Fun times.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Docjowles posted:

I recommended my roommate get a Dell flip top laptop with low memory and HD specifically because I knew I could upgrade it cheap. Turns out they have two motherboards with the same model number. One is a normal laptop, and the other has soldered on memory and eMMC HD and no other expansion ports. Womp womp.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Sheep posted:

My wife works for a nonprofit that has a bunch of those HP Stream laptops. When they migrated to Windows 10 suddenly the OS can't update anymore because there's not enough room on the 32 gig SSD for the current build plus whatever is getting pushed down from Windows Update, and the drive and RAM are both soldered on. Fun times.

https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os

I was gonna buy one of those when I was strapped for cash and getting through school oddly enough. I got a freebie MacBook though and the rest was history.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
After 2 months of research and hacking away, I finally had a breakthrough on a seriously important piece of software I’m building for our ops team. It turns out the extremely old and undocumented SAP application that controls our data feeds has a program written in Java that can parse properly formatted text files and turn feeds on/off. I discovered this through finding an unused shell script deep in a previously unknown directory that concatenates a text file with the formatted commands to the parser. Previously I had been totally unsuccessful trying to pass commands using expect or other means. Finally we will be able to meet our feed availability SLA.

This is basically digital archeology.

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 24, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Woof Blitzer posted:

the extremely old and undocumented SAP application

You could have just said "the SAP application" here, though?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

the apple one to one thing works really well, my 70s mother and 80s dad both tell me about all the cool photobook classes they go to and how the people at the apple store are so patient spending 2 or 3 hours helping them figure out how to load their email

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Why aren’t you forcing your parents on to iPads? They don’t need a laptop.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

jaegerx posted:

Why aren’t you forcing your parents on to iPads? They don’t need a laptop.

eh dad is a semi demented computer programmer so he likes something to do little projects on and mom loads in custom embroidery software to design stuff for her sewing machine

not everyone's parents are chain NCIS watchers who sit on couches all day

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
My old company got crypto'd today. For the team responsible to fix it, only 2 SR guys are left and both are on their two weeks notice period. The CIO called one a stupid idiot on the incident bridge and the employee decided his notice period as ended. The other one decided to go home with the "flu".

The world just works out sometimes.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sickening posted:

My old company got crypto'd today. For the team responsible to fix it, only 2 SR guys are left and both are on their two weeks notice period. The CIO called one a stupid idiot on the incident bridge and the employee decided his notice period as ended. The other one decided to go home with the "flu".

The world just works out sometimes.

These updates are the best updates.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

LochNessMonster posted:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

LochNessMonster posted:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

LochNessMonster posted:

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

LochNessMonster posted:

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

LochNessMonster posted:

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LochNessMonster posted:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Sickening, I had to read your post aloud.
I just thought I'd let you know everyone in my office cheered.
Standing ovation.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

skipdogg posted:

You can pick up a quality Lenovo or Dell for under 500 that’ll last for years. Hell my kids are still using an Dell e6410 I had for a work laptop years ago, and it does what they need it to do.

I've got a favorites list of links to ebay filters that I use pretty regularly when people ask what to get, and then get bummed when they come to me with a piece of poo poo from Walmart or Best Buy.

I think people are afraid to go used or refurb and while I can understand that to a degree, your money goes so much further buying an off lease laptop. $400 can get you 6th or 7th generation i-series CPUs with a load of memory and SSD storage. I ended up buying my wife a Thinkpad T440 with like a 4th gen i5 for $120 and it's still a great PC.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
You can apparently get shockingly good hardware at Costco, too.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

LochNessMonster posted:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know about syncing the poo poo in ADP *into* Azure AD? We use ADP as the system of record for people's job titles, departments, direct reports etc., I asked ADP and they replied "we have no documentation for that, sorry" like I was the first person in the universe who's ever asked, what the gently caress. While I'm hassling them further i figure maybe someone her has done it?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Feel like you may have the best results if you can use AD as an intermediate store.

ADP->AD->AzureAD

Even if you have to spin up a standalone domain with no computer object and just a flat user OU.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

The Fool posted:

Feel like you may have the best results if you can use AD as an intermediate store.

ADP->AD->AzureAD

Even if you have to spin up a standalone domain with no computer object and just a flat user OU.

This.

We use paycom for the same thing, we get an automated .CSV file from paycom every friday, it drops into a share, gets loaded into AD vie powershell then syncs up.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Zero VGS posted:

Does anyone know about syncing the poo poo in ADP *into* Azure AD? We use ADP as the system of record for people's job titles, departments, direct reports etc., I asked ADP and they replied "we have no documentation for that, sorry" like I was the first person in the universe who's ever asked, what the gently caress. While I'm hassling them further i figure maybe someone her has done it?

I don't think the functionality is there yet. It's on their road map, and I think Workday is the first one they're going to have this capability with. I know at Ignite I asked about SuccessFactors which is coming Q2 2020. Not sure about ADP.

Here's the article that would give you an idea of how it would all work.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/saas-apps/workday-inbound-tutorial#overview

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Zero VGS posted:

I'm sure you can do it but maybe don't use a payroll system as a HRIS?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Blinkz0rz posted:

:emptyquote:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Blinkz0rz posted:

What's the problem with that? Payroll themselves are responsible for maintaining that stuff. Unless you think I should just give them User Admin role in Azure AD and train them to maintain users in that, and have it sync down to ADP instead?

edit: and that's hardly elegant, because ADP can mark someone as "terminated", while Azure kind of doesn't since we often have to leave accounts active for a while so bosses can get to the OneDrive/Outlook of a termed employee.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The real solution is to have an hr system that both payroll and azuread feed from.