Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

They kept this in the YT upload.

Oh my god the absolute loving laziness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Dooguk posted:

"Early days"

Chris Roberts

:hmmyes:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Chris is already having fun.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Bofast posted:

I played that game on the C64, so I'm kind of curious what part of CIG's presentation you are referring to here.

Basic market price fluctuation poo poo.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I didn't watch large parts of the actual scripted demos they showed off, so just caught up on them.

My gods, how much jank? They actually took the time to prepare this stuff and weren't ashamed to show off such terrible performance and low quality images that looked like they might have come from a mid-2000s game?

You can even see how they are being careful to not pan the images too fast to avoid too much of a performance hit and it still tanks the FPS.

Is this what is meant by anti-development?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

This is a sneaking mission.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I only watched the live stream for a bit, and I'm sure as gently caress not wading through the recordings, but can anyone tell me if they showed ANY live footage of theaters of war?

Did they interview anyone other than that one player who basically just summed up basic gameplay stuff and said "it's good!"?

Did the general attendee population get a chance to play it, or was it only that highly curated group?

You got a lot of very fast cuts showing the "entirety" of the battlefield. I don't think any cut lasted longer than a few seconds.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SelenicMartian posted:

This is a sneaking mission.

If the guards don't call you a taffer i'm not accepting it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

In case you were wondering how they got the ramp to work. Watch closely.

Oh, and again, Chris knows everything from movies

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Face over, I pee.

Oh, by the way, the demo's so high-fidelity they remove the helmet during the first-person view.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Looking at the dreadfully boring footage it occurred to me that a company like Ubisoft could make a complete open world space game like this in fraction of the time and it would probably be half decent.

Beyond Good & Evil 2 is sort of that project; I believe they're doing functional solar systems and procedural generation on that scale. Ubisoft haven't talked about it much lately, probably because it's going to be a next-gen game.

Zadda posted:

Only thing I remember from the opening is that I think the crobear mentioned that about 330 people are currently working in their UK studio? Still nothing to show for it though.

Not only that, the Foundry 42 HQ is like 10-15 miles south of the convention centre. Still no Squadron 42 because the game is stuck in development hell.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

**Begin Meltdown**

I know I'm beating a dead horse at this point but can the CIG Intern please inform anyone at that stupid loving company about the misspelling of "Sytem" in Sandi's signature. For gently caress's sake it has been years now.

**Meltdown Over**

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I only watched the live stream for a bit, and I'm sure as gently caress not wading through the recordings, but can anyone tell me if they showed ANY live footage of theaters of war?

Did they interview anyone other than that one player who basically just summed up basic gameplay stuff and said "it's good!"?

Did the general attendee population get a chance to play it, or was it only that highly curated group?

No, no, and kindofalmostbutprobablyno, in that order. They had to close out the demo booths to get people back in the seats to look good on camera after all, and who knows how curated the selection of people who were allowed to play was.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Crobear made it in. I think the intern is a goon and doesn't care about speling.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

There's the cloth physics, and there's the

And what the gently caress is going on with EVERYTHING in this display? Why is his argon rising?

Physics!

https://i.imgur.com/cULhYHs.mp4

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

SelenicMartian posted:

In case you were wondering how they got the ramp to work. Watch closely.

Hmm, I thought I caught the *hiccup* at the time, but I wasn't sure.
:lol:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

iron buns posted:

"Fund comes first, game maybe later"

well done

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I love how it's a howling blizzard, they're talking about the fidelity of their wind model during the demo, and the tarp's acting like it's a mildly breezy day.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

ATP_Power posted:

I love how it's a howling blizzard, they're talking about the fidelity of their wind model during the demo, and the tarp's acting like it's a mildly breezy day.

Well, that and what magical material is it made out of? It is -100C out at least and it is quite supple.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

It doesn't even blow in the same direction as the flag is bending in that scene.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Jesus God. Are you telling me instead of having a simple interact button like every first-person game they thought it wise to have your character literally manipulate objects with their hands?

Every decent video game is made of parlor tricks and illusions to keep the experience seamless. But CiG probably thinks time-wasting animations is for steers while budgeting and hitting deadlines are for queers.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They didn't show any "theaters of war", just a sizzle-reel that was maybe 2-3 mins. I didn't hear any other reviews other than the one awkward interview. I swear the guy said it had "potential" which is never a good sign.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dark Off posted:

to support that there is end day's feels going on at citcon.

listen to Cr's voice crack up during early day's speach.
https://youtu.be/n9fKOwXIMx4?t=304

https://youtu.be/fCDOM2UULhE?t=1673 this the end of citizencon and the roadmap. That is most vague/realistic roadmap they have done. No dates etc..

I relistened to the wrap up. Chris thanks some woman named Leah for all the CitizenCon planning work. So it’s not just that Sandi is out, it’s that other individuals are being acknowledged for doing what was formerly her job.

Megalobster posted:

That's not even taking into account that the Crytek lawsuit is currently in discovery, and trial is still scheduled to begin June 16th 2020. In legal time, 6 months is like 2 weeks.

The movement on the Cryrekt lawsuit may be why Squadron had to pull a disappearing act again.

A WORKING THEORY OF THE PRESENT

This is sloppy but figured I’d throw it out there.

Squadron was the centerpiece of Citcon 2015 and 2018. It completely and conspicuously vanished in 2016 (thanks Infinite Warfare!) and 2019.

I’m going to assume the Calders invested because they were sincerely sold on the pitch of a can’t fail, celebrity packed single player game from the creator of Wing Commander. There’s a chance they had more nefarious reasons, of the sort that Cayman Island money is famous for, but the Holiday 2017 Livestream sure looked like an earnest, maybe desperate all-hands-on-deck sales pitch from Chris and his entire leadership team. The awkward nervousness of it, the weird unsolicited assurances (like Chambers assurance that the cinematics team was exclusively a Squadron resource and not used on Star Citizen), it felt pretty authentic and a little desperate.

So if you’re a reclusive and historically ruthless billionaire dropping $46 million into what you think is going to be a single player movie game, you’re not doing a handshake deal. You’re going to protect yourself and your filmmaker son from getting chumpatized.

Only weeks after the check clears, CIG has a string of big publicity problems. If the Calders weren’t familiar with its notoriety before this, they sure are now. Chris stumbles through them all summer, but decides, in the interest of proving to the Calders that CIG is the next big thing, he’s going to stage the biggest CitizenCon ever. He’s even going to throw some money at the Redbull infotainment team and have a slick advertorial doc shot during the show. Chris buys a full marketing package from them to do what Sandi can’t. As part of the deal, Redbull is also going to deploy a battle-tested, high octane streamer to hype this turkey to the max after the documentary drops at year end, and they’ll pump more advertorials about Rex In 2019 to Newsweek and Polygon and anyone else selling adspace designed as light news. This will serve to reassure backers and the Investors alike eventually. (No Jade, Rex didn’t play 6 hours a day for months on end in 2019 because he didn’t have anything better to play. Sorry, Astro girl!)

Back to the summer of 2018.

Because Chris is spending so very much on this whole confidence projection effort (huge venue, slick doc, future streamer and advertorials), he gets the brilliant idea he should paywall the Citcon event and get some of that money back. This brilliant idea outrages fans and average gamers alike and thrusts CIG right back into the self-own spotlight Chris was trying to get out of. It produces even worse PR than Chris got in the summer and eventually he’s forced to back off the plan. So CitCon turns out costly both to the company and to its reputation with its new billionaire investor.

“Get your crap together, Chris.”

Stuff happens. Controls are asserted. Sandi’s on the way out by the end of 2018, though no official announcement has been made even a year later. 2018 sees Chris downsizing their weekly fan content, with ATV turning into a dimlit, low-budget Landoshow. 2019 crawls along, with CIG missing their less ambitious targets and Squadron stalling and entering radio silence mode one year after it was the centerpiece of CIG’s marketing AND investor pitch. But Chris did at least task his Devteam at the end of 2018 with building a new game mode just for Rex and future Rexes. Chris wants and needs a better game for hucksters for hire to pitch, something that cuts out all the bloat of SPAAAAACE! and keeps the tempo up for viewers. We got a glimpse of this nearly yearlong development priority at CitCon and, well, if it isn’t exactly Planetside 2 level fun yet, it’ll at least solve design problems made obvious during Rex’s year of streaming. (The dude spent more time pacing the decks of his ships while in transit to battle zones than actually fighting).

Crytek’s lawsuit moves slowly in the background, presenting its own battery of risks, including to Squadron’s release. But like Sandi’s forced removal, it’s unspeakable, so he takes the stage and pretends two of the most important things of the last 7 years of CIG’s life don’t exist and he hypes their tailored made streamer game that nobody expected or asked for. (He’s going to need it in 2020 because his hucksters for hire will if they’re gonna talk new backers into this psychological macrotransaction trap.)

Whatever is really going on behind the scenes at CIG, it seems like we’re seeing a weakened Chris. Controls are being asserted and risks are finally being felt. After years of chest pounding and crap talking, years of date hyping and target missing, a humbler Chris has emerged.

I wonder how the board meeting went, and what the Calders are thinking about their $46 million dollar experiment about now?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

mjotto posted:

It sounded as an apology for the bad news that is coming, maybe even already about to break. The news being the end of SC/CIG. One of my employers went bankrupt and I've seen this before. The knowing that you're about to let everyone down. Your staff, your customers, your investors/financers, the lot. So thanking them for all the support over the years, being nice and kind etc.

It's over. The BDSSE will never see the light. The dream is gone. And Chris knows it. Once he starts announcing that there will be drastic cutbacks and layoffs, backers will realise the money is gone and he's doing this to keep afloat according to his Kickstarter promise and thus can't be sued (yet). That'll be the end of sales. Which will be the end of it all.

At the least, he knows this was the last Citizen Con. There won't be a 2020 edition.

Scruffpuff posted:

I got the same vibe from it.

Then... the mosaic was a "Thank you for all the memories..." goodbye-sign :ohdear:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Virtual Captain posted:

They didn't show any "theaters of war", just a sizzle-reel that was maybe 2-3 mins. I didn't hear any other reviews other than the one awkward interview. I swear the guy said it had "potential" which is never a good sign.

Baiscally its Star Marine with added vehicles. Like nobody has done any sort of arena with vehicles before.

Its basically just Star Marine v2.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
Imagine thinking CIG has a transparent development if they removed Sandi in silence, and not giving an update on Squadron 42 at their own event.

Also read Era, Reddit, and it looks like support is dying down, and it's going to start getting more toxic when what is left is their most fervent fans defending their games.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

G0RF posted:

I wonder how the board meeting went, and what the Calders are thinking about their $46 million dollar experiment about now?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

G0RF posted:

I relistened to the wrap up. Chris thanks some woman named Leah for all the CitizenCon planning work. So it’s not just that Sandi is out, it’s that other individuals are being acknowledged for doing what was formerly her job.

The movement on the Cryrekt lawsuit may be why Squadron had to pull a disappearing act again.

A WORKING THEORY OF THE PRESENT

This is sloppy but figured I’d throw it out there.

Squadron was the centerpiece of Citcon 2015 and 2018. It completely and conspicuously vanished in 2016 (thanks Infinite Warfare!) and 2019.

I’m going to assume the Calders invested because they were sincerely sold on the pitch of a can’t fail, celebrity packed single player game from the creator of Wing Commander. There’s a chance they had more nefarious reasons, of the sort that Cayman Island money is famous for, but the Holiday 2017 Livestream sure looked like an earnest, maybe desperate all-hands-on-deck sales pitch from Chris and his entire leadership team. The awkward nervousness of it, the weird unsolicited assurances (like Chambers assurance that the cinematics team was exclusively a Squadron resource and not used on Star Citizen), it felt pretty authentic and a little desperate.

So if you’re a reclusive and historically ruthless billionaire dropping $46 million into what you think is going to be a single player movie game, you’re not doing a handshake deal. You’re going to protect yourself and your filmmaker son from getting chumpatized.

Only weeks after the check clears, CIG has a string of big publicity problems. If the Calders weren’t familiar with its notoriety before this, they sure are now. Chris stumbles through them all summer, but decides, in the interest of proving to the Calders that CIG is the next big thing, he’s going to stage the biggest CitizenCon ever. He’s even going to throw some money at the Redbull infotainment team and have a slick advertorial doc shot during the show. Chris buys a full marketing package from them to do what Sandi can’t. As part of the deal, Redbull is also going to deploy a battle-tested, high octane streamer to hype this turkey to the max after the documentary drops at year end, and they’ll pump more advertorials about Rex In 2019 to Newsweek and Polygon and anyone else selling adspace designed as light news. This will serve to reassure backers and the Investors alike eventually. (No Jade, Rex didn’t play 6 hours a day for months on end in 2019 because he didn’t have anything better to play. Sorry, Astro girl!)

Back to the summer of 2018.

Because Chris is spending so very much on this whole confidence projection effort (huge venue, slick doc, future streamer and advertorials), he gets the brilliant idea he should paywall the Citcon event and get some of that money back. This brilliant idea outrages fans and average gamers alike and thrusts CIG right back into the self-own spotlight Chris was trying to get out of. It produces even worse PR than Chris got in the summer and eventually he’s forced to back off the plan. So CitCon turns out costly both to the company and to its reputation with its new billionaire investor.

“Get your crap together, Chris.”

Stuff happens. Controls are asserted. Sandi’s on the way out by the end of 2018, though no official announcement has been made even a year later. 2018 sees Chris downsizing their weekly fan content, with ATV turning into a dimlit, low-budget Landoshow. 2019 crawls along, with CIG missing their less ambitious targets and Squadron stalling and entering radio silence mode one year after it was the centerpiece of CIG’s marketing AND investor pitch. But Chris did at least task his Devteam at the end of 2018 with building a new game mode just for Rex and future Rexes. Chris wants and needs a better game for hucksters for hire to pitch, something that cuts out all the bloat of SPAAAAACE! and keeps the tempo up for viewers. We got a glimpse of this nearly yearlong development priority at CitCon and, well, if it isn’t exactly Planetside 2 level fun yet, it’ll at least solve design problems made obvious during Rex’s year of streaming. (The dude spent more time pacing the decks of his ships while in transit to battle zones than actually fighting).

Crytek’s lawsuit moves slowly in the background, presenting its own battery of risks, including to Squadron’s release. But like Sandi’s forced removal, it’s unspeakable, so he takes the stage and pretends two of the most important things of the last 7 years of CIG’s life don’t exist and he hypes their tailored made streamer game that nobody expected or asked for. (He’s going to need it in 2020 because his hucksters for hire will if they’re gonna talk new backers into this psychological macrotransaction trap.)

Whatever is really going on behind the scenes at CIG, it seems like we’re seeing a weakened Chris. Controls are being asserted and risks are finally being felt. After years of chest pounding and crap talking, years of date hyping and target missing, a humbler Chris has emerged.

Quality speculation there and its been a good while since we saw a Gorf effortpost!

5++++

Thing is, if they are trying to do CoD/Battlefield/ARMA to tide them over, there is one big problem. There are a plethora of those games already out there, and they are good (if you like that sort of thing) and they work, and not alpha.

Also, what ships are you selling when the people buying in are doing so for your team arena deathmatch game?

Try and sucker them in with the arena and then hope they buy the ships?

How many people will be interested in this, when there are much better games out there of this genre with consistently high player numbers? How are the CoD/BF fans going to react to janky movements, dropped connections, client crashes, and a host of other random bugs?

They now run the risk of getting more negative press from long term backers wanting the space game they were promised along with negative press from the (unpaid) CoD/BF/ARMA fans who have seen much better than what CIG have to offer.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

ATP_Power posted:

Also, the blizzard conveniently did not allow to see the actual detail of the new snowed surfaces and terrain. Nevermind the trees.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Yeah I think y'all are being oversold on how 'bad' this was for CIG. Obviously it was the usual disaster but I expect that their annual funding will not crater, but just be a bit lower than usual.
The last time there was a finances analysis the understanding was that with the Calder's investment and assuming roughly normal pledge levels they can go at least another 2-3 years before their finances hit crisis level.

I see no reason for them to pack it in until they absolutely have to as it allows them to extract the most cash possible from the husk of the company.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fidelitious posted:

Yeah I think y'all are being oversold on how 'bad' this was for CIG. Obviously it was the usual disaster but I expect that their annual funding will not crater, but just be a bit lower than usual.
The last time there was a finances analysis the understanding was that with the Calder's investment and assuming roughly normal pledge levels they can go at least another 2-3 years before their finances hit crisis level.

I see no reason for them to pack it in until they absolutely have to as it allows them to extract the most cash possible from the husk of the company.

I think it's more the cracks are really starting to show. I agree mostly that it's still got a year or two left, but the bottom cards look extremely shaky.

Orv
May 4, 2011

iospace posted:

I think it's more the cracks are really starting to show. I agree mostly that it's still got a year or two left, but the bottom cards look extremely shaky.

I mean, Star Citizen has demonstrably been Not A Thing for years at this point, well beyond where they should have continued receiving enough money to operate, much less three hundred million dollars. It could go for a while yet, barring that court case being a spectacular disaster and simply fizzle out quietly in years to come.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
I remember when someone did some analysis over CIG's financials.

Does anyone remember on which page is it at?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Fidelitious posted:

Probably true on the few years left. Unless we have grossly underestimated CR level of ineptitude and funds wasting of course.

Either way the planned beta for SQ42 next year is probably linked to some obligations to the Calder´s investment and even if not in chapter eleven by then probably some big happenings will be happening.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

MedicineHut posted:

Unless we have grossly underestimated CR level of ineptitude and funds wasting of course.

quote:

As we look forward to the holidays, I wanted to give you all a couple of updates. The first item of news is the Squadron 42 public roadmap is going live today. As with our Persistent Universe roadmap, this is linked to our company’s internal JIRA tracking system, so you can see at a glance the work remaining to complete the game. It was a lot of work to make sure every remaining task was broken down in detail and estimated to the best of our ability, and the same caveats will apply to the Squadron 42 roadmap as they do to the PU one, but our plan is to be feature and content complete by the end of 2019, with the first 6 months of 2020 for Alpha (balance, optimization and polish) and then Beta.

Announces Theatre of War and Squadron 42 is MIA.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

I agree, I think everyone's reading a bit too much into Chris's intonations (he sounded normal to me - as normal as Kermit the Frog can sound like anyway) and their financial straights. I do think it's weird that Sandi wasn't there but the game will make it to 2021 IMO.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Agony Aunt posted:

Baiscally its Star Marine with added vehicles. Like nobody has done any sort of arena with vehicles before.

Its basically just Star Marine v2.

That begs the question of why they didn't just expand Star Marine instead of making a whole new mode? My guess is, they TRIED to do that, but it was untenable because the assets from the PU can't be used, and the new map was the leftover that they released just to not have all that work gone to waste. With the new mode I'd be really surprised if anything like that happens for Star Marine ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Who's going to do the best documentary on this affair? Not necessarily the most professional maker, just the most informative. Someone who has inkling as to how games are produced and doesn't need to explain everything in layman's.