Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

silvergoose posted:

I'm mostly poking fun at the fans who say things like "who cares about balance except tournament style players who can go find a different game" who are also saying this is a great thing.

My favorite are the people who admitted they don’t play competently and loudly talk about how won’t need the balance changes. Now I haven’t played it but an average score differential of +80 points for futurists vs the lowest means you’ve gotta be playing pretty suboptimally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
i'm the epic game reviewer who plays a game one time and has a very good handle on the game dynamics based on a single play with equally clueless players

yes, i've never found a problem with the halifax hammer

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Megasabin posted:

I have no interest in Stonemaier games after Scythe, but this seems like a good thing? He's taken a step back and actually admitted there's balance issues and is attempting to address them? Seems fruitless to call him out on hypocrisy when he is making a positive change. People should be encouraged when they pivot in the correct direction.

They openly admit they don’t really know how good the balance changes are. Multiple changes are lazy victory point adjustments that don’t address the playability of the civ, and it’s pretty crazy that one civ has to start with up to a whopping 45 free VP just to be “balanced.” It all comes off as rushed and amateurish.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Yeah giving someone a quarter of a decent end game score is a hilarious bit of balancing. Also it's good to make fun of him so that he actually spends time developing his next game.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Just have Tau-Ceti Deichmann create an algorithm to test your game a thousand times for balance. Couldn't be simpler.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 22, 2019

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

pospysyl posted:

Just have Tau-Ceti Deichmann create an algorithm to test your game a thousand times for balance. Couldn't be simpler.

Developing an AI for a board game is a fair bit of work right now, and often the resulting AIs will still miss broad swaths of strategy, or be vulnerable to simple exploits.

But I expect that to change a lot over the next 5 or 10 years. I think we'll see AI frameworks that can go from base rules to strong agents quickly and without much interaction.

To be clear, a game balanced for AIs might not always be balanced for humans - but it'll give designers some powerful tools for exploring possibilities.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've been thinking it would be very funny to train one of those Go or Chess AIs on the dumb bullshit we play instead.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've been thinking it would be very funny to train one of those Go or Chess AIs on the dumb bullshit we play instead.

Someone did once: http://keldon.net/rftg/

Race for the Galaxy is pretty much custom designed to train neural nets for and have them wind up much, much better than human players, and... well, someone did.

There are a LOT of games this is a lot less true for, especially games where only a subset of components are used in each game, since you can't then just chuck the AI the whole component and ruleset and let it play itself forever anywhere near as easily.

But even then, I'd be pretty surprised if you couldn't make AI players better than human players in most games.

But conversely, it's aso difficult to make them abel to track the board state etc in a hardcopy game, and making hardocpy AI good is a whoooole nother level of difficult.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Holy poo poo, someone made essentially a roll and write for Magic Realm called Magic Realm Lite 30 that I only just discovered. There's even an expansion: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/194882/magic-realm-light-30-asterisk-expansion

The idea is to condense the different systems in MR into sort of mini games which can serve to introduce players into the ideas and systems in the main game. Neat.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

The Terra Mystica digital developer tried this approach to disappointing results. (If he just had AlphaZero's equipment, it probably would have been better but still these things usually scale such that throwing power at it doesn't get you where you want).

https://digidiced.com/2018/designer-diary-search-alphamystica/

No details yet, but he said he's had better success with a learning AI for Viticulture.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Isn't this what the Race for the Galaxy app is? That app's AI is brutal, and I thought I read once that it found crazy strategies that no one had found before.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

rchandra posted:

The Terra Mystica digital developer tried this approach to disappointing results. (If he just had AlphaZero's equipment, it probably would have been better but still these things usually scale such that throwing power at it doesn't get you where you want).

https://digidiced.com/2018/designer-diary-search-alphamystica/

No details yet, but he said he's had better success with a learning AI for Viticulture.

Yeah. It's still easy to train an AI in one specific task, but as that task becomes more generalized it becomes exponentially more expensive (in terms of time and processing).

LIke that Starcraft AI that was built:

* Could only play protoss.
* Only works AGAINST protoss.
* Was built to defeat a specific pro player.
* Cheated on how it interacted with the game (It could monitor and issue commands faster than it physically possible in the UI)

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

They eventually did make a Starcraft AI that could play Starcraft II on the public ladder at grandmaster level. But that took them like two more years of Google-tier resources after the limited Starcraft AI. Even then it still has issues with inhuman micro. The new version has a limiter that keeps it at pro human levels of effective actions per minute. But the AI never misclicks and it knows it cannot misclick.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

homullus posted:

I think Kemet is my favorite dunes-on-a-map game.

Dune is my favourite dunes on a map game

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Just played Trismegistus at BGG Con, and wow, it does not seem like a game that can be really figured out after one or two playthroughs - the rules are complex, but the difficulty for me was more around it being difficult to discern what future series of actions was ideal and then backtracking to the current turn.

Sticko
Nov 24, 2007
Outrageous Lumpwad

golden bubble posted:

They eventually did make a Starcraft AI that could play Starcraft II on the public ladder at grandmaster level. But that took them like two more years of Google-tier resources after the limited Starcraft AI. Even then it still has issues with inhuman micro. The new version has a limiter that keeps it at pro human levels of effective actions per minute. But the AI never misclicks and it knows it cannot misclick.

The most recent version recently beat the best SC2 player 4 out of 5, with 2 out of the 3 races. It also has the big bonus of being able to effectively micro in multiple locations at once, with perfect knowledge (within its visible area). So it can always be split harassing, while a human player will never be able to get it off guard with harassment.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Wafflecopper posted:

Thirsty Twerps Deluxe has to be mine, I think.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

silvergoose posted:

Thirsty Twerps Deluxe has to be mine, I think.

:same: second favorite is Targi

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

Gotta be Camel Up.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chill la Chill posted:

:same: second favorite is Targi

Targi is still on my want to play list

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

silvergoose posted:

Targi is still on my want to play list

You should play it, it's very good. Probably me and my wife's two player only game.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I played a game at lunch the other day and I'm trying to find a copy of it to bring to Thanksgiving. Maybe it will sound familiar to someone here:

It is a card game where the goal is to score the least points in one or several rounds.
Everyone gets a hand of ~8 cards (not sure the exact numbers)
The cards are numbers from 1-100+ (not sure how high it went because we didn't use all the cards.
Each card has some symbols on it to represent how many points it is worth.
Four cards are dealt face up and each is the start of a row.
Every player will play a card from their hand face down in front of them. When everyone has played a card, you flip them over.
Cards are placed in the rows in ascending order. Cards must be played in the lowest possible row as long as they are higher than the cards already in the row.
The player that adds the fifth card to a row must take the row and get all the associated points.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Can't be anything but 6 Nimmt!

https://www.amazon.com/AMIGO-4910-6-Nimmt/dp/B00006YYXG/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Nimmt&qid=1574621131&sr=8-1

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
That is indeed it. Thanks.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The biggest takeaway from StarCraft machine player development isn't that they can react faster and more accurately than any human, it's that rule-based AIs (meaning a state machine, a fancy flowchart) can always be exploited in one way or another. But a machine that plays dynamically and heuristically, allowing for emergent behaviors, is a different opponent entirely.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The only winning move is not to play.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

S.J. posted:

The only winning move is not to play.

Also to beat the opponent, that's a pretty good winning move.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Ai’s are wimps just unplug their cable GG

\/ they can't nuke us if they're not connected to anything  🤖

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 24, 2019

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Bottom Liner posted:

Ai’s are wimps just unplug their cable GG

You want Judgement Day? Because that's how you get Judgement Day

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If anyone sees Food Chain Magnate Ketchup in stock online (CSI/MM/Gamenerdz) please post here and give me a heads up.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My friend ordered it from an Indonesian board game shop, which is awesome for many reasons, and it arrived in less than a week. He didn't make it sound like cost + shipping was really expensive so I'll ask him what store it was.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I forgot about Targi for my dunes-on-a-map joke. Targi is definitely my favorite--that is a clever game!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

The biggest takeaway from StarCraft machine player development isn't that they can react faster and more accurately than any human, it's that rule-based AIs (meaning a state machine, a fancy flowchart) can always be exploited in one way or another. But a machine that plays dynamically and heuristically, allowing for emergent behaviors, is a different opponent entirely.

Fundamentally these machine AIs are all doing the same thing regardless of their precise methods: performing math really really quickly and efficiently, and their performance is ultimately going to depend on just how difficult and complex the underlying math of a given game is.

Also ultimately it doesn't matter that much because playing games is extremely easy insofar as machine-learned behaviors go because all games are little more than giant obfuscated math problems, but that's a different topic altogether.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Super Jay Mann posted:

Fundamentally these machine AIs are all doing the same thing regardless of their precise methods: performing math really really quickly and efficiently

This is a reductive and absolutely unhelpful way to describe how a neural net works. It'd be like saying "all your brain does when it plays games is a bunch of chemical reactions and electricity".

Super Jay Mann posted:

their performance is ultimately going to depend on just how difficult and complex the underlying math of a given game is.

Neural nets don't play games by understanding the underlying math of a game any more than you understand games that way. Games like Nim have extremely simple underlying math, but can still be hard for neural nets to figure out because the NN only sees positions, how they connect, and whether they win. The underlying math of the game is a poor predictor for how easy it will be to approach through a NN type approach.

Super Jay Mann posted:

Also ultimately it doesn't matter that much because playing games is extremely easy insofar as machine-learned behaviors go because all games are little more than giant obfuscated math problems, but that's a different topic altogether.

Games are not extremely easy for AIs. It has taken 50 years of hardware and software development to get to the point we're at now, where complex games can be beat without game-specific, human-designed approaches. It is still beyond almost anyone in the world to create these kinds of successful agents for the kinds of games humans find interesting. As machine learning technology becomes more robust and accessible, it will find its way into a tremendous amount of real world decision making.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Super Jay Mann posted:

Fundamentally these machine AIs are all doing the same thing regardless of their precise methods: performing math really really quickly and efficiently, and their performance is ultimately going to depend on just how difficult and complex the underlying math of a given game is.

This is reductionist. "All biology is really chemistry, and all chemistry is really physics, which all extends from the properties of fundamental particles, so why really bother studying anything beyond the fundamental particles." It's because a) not even the most advanced machine from 50 years in the future will be able to simulate an entire bear from fundamental particles and b) higher order effects also follow patterns that are maybe less rigid, but can still be usefully studied.

The question is less "can the AI solve the problem" (which it probably can't do that well (see the relatively simple chess), but that's for later), and more "how well can the AI get through the layers of obfuscation".

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

jmzero posted:

This is a reductive and absolutely unhelpful way to describe how a neural net works. It'd be like saying "all your brain does when it plays games is a bunch of chemical reactions and electricity".

Neural nets don't play games by understanding the underlying math of a game any more than you understand games that way. Games like Nim have extremely simple underlying math, but can still be hard for neural nets to figure out because the NN only sees positions, how they connect, and whether they win. The underlying math of the game is a poor predictor for how easy it will be to approach through a NN type approach.

I'll concede this point, but only insofar as NN approaches are just substituting one mathematical approach (games modeled as functions) with another (games modeled as discrete, interconnected positions which can be clustered into patterns and "learned"). And that's great! There's great value in developing an approach that abstracts the process of determining a winning series of moves in relatively quick fashion regardless of the actual mechanics of the problem in question, but I don't think that changes my general point that the efficacy of the algorithm is still dependent on the complexity of the problem (just what kind of complexity we're talking about changes depending on the approach) and that games are quite easy compared to many other real-world problems that have been modeled.

quote:

Games are not extremely easy for AIs. It has taken 50 years of hardware and software development to get to the point we're at now, where complex games can be beat without game-specific, human-designed approaches. It is still beyond almost anyone in the world to create these kinds of successful agents for the kinds of games humans find interesting. As machine learning technology becomes more robust and accessible, it will find its way into a tremendous amount of real world decision making.

To clarify here, easy does not mean fast. Many games are structured with players have perfect and/or complete information, so they can easily be solved simply by analyzing the results of every single possible move from every single possible position. The computation time of doing even for simple games is usually so astronomically high so as to be nonviable with anything but the best computers, but that doesn't change the actual difficulty of the problem. Most real-world problems don't have the luxury of being so straightforward. Which is why the major advancements in AI usage for real world scenarios in the past several decades was/isn't just about improving the algorithms, it was/is about learning how to reframe these real world scenarios into simplified models that our dumb computers could actually work with so they can provide answers that are "not quite rigorous but close enough". I suppose thinking about it now, that makes games a good stepping stone for AIs since it appears humanity's approach to these difficult real world problems to better manage them is to "gamify" them.

Dancer posted:

The question is less "can the AI solve the problem" (which it probably can't do that well (see the relatively simple chess), but that's for later), and more "how well can the AI get through the layers of obfuscation".

This but also add to that "How can we make the problem itself easier for the AI to work with?" The computer can't do it alone, we need to help them.

I'm sorry for the aside though, it's an interesting topic to me but I'm not sure how much it fits in this thread specifically.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

If anyone sees Food Chain Magnate Ketchup in stock online (CSI/MM/Gamenerdz) please post here and give me a heads up.

Cardhaus has it for $125. They are reputable, I've ordered several things from them.

Also, linking my BGG auction here. If you see something that you want I'll cut you a deal below the BIN, assuming you live in the US. At the very least, drop me a thumbs up for visibility.

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 25, 2019

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
People who say sorry for the aside never sound very sorry

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

Cardhaus has it for $125. They are reputable, I've ordered several things from them.

Hmm showing preorder still for me. I'll probably wait for Gamenerdz now, since they have it for $89 preorder which isn't bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Super Jay Mann posted:

The big problem for AI's in general is they do not know what they are doing, they have goals, maybe it's scoring points, maybe it's not losing the game, but fundamentally it does not know it's playing a game or the context for it. That can cause it to do really weird things, like the Age of Empires AI that would intentionally crash the game because that was not a 'lose' for it.