Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pr0k’s mum is definitely less jamón serrano and more high meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

therattle posted:

I’ve recently soaked, cooked and frozen some black beans and chickpeas. Upon thawing and eating they’ve been quite dry. Any ideas why and what to change? I froze then after draining, not in water or brine.

Late to this party, but I'm guessing that when you froze them, the ice crystals punctured cell walls releasing the moisture inside, and when you thawed them, that moisture leaked out.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
baby carrots. They're so dang hideous but so convenient. It feels dumb to not buy them but I hate looking at them so much. Is this weird.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

No Wave posted:

baby carrots. They're so dang hideous but so convenient. It feels dumb to not buy them but I hate looking at them so much. Is this weird.

I assume you mean "baby cut carrots" which as close as I can tell are carrot pieces that have been put on a little carrot lathe by bitter-south-pole-carrot-turning gnomes. They suck.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

its just, by price, when I subtract the trimmings from normal carrots they like aren't more expensive by weight at the grocery store I shop at and I don't have to use a peeler. But they're gross looking.

It must be easier/cheaper than selling peeled carrots somehow.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

No Wave posted:

It must be easier/cheaper than selling peeled carrots somehow.

quote:

The late Mike Yurosek, a California carrot farmer, invented baby carrots in 1986 because most full-grown carrots were too ugly to sell.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/baby-carrots-are-liars_n_570d98cce4b03d8b7b9ec7f4

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

thats a little sad, I would love the ugly carrots as they are (but peeled).

However it makes me feel better about baby carrots knowing they were invented for a good reason. Ty for answering my question.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 21, 2019

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

No Wave posted:

use a peeler... peeled carrots

No Wave posted:

(but peeled).

Why not just eat them without peeling them? I just wash carrots to get the worst of the mud off them...

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The worst carrots are soft honey glazed baby carrots. The best carrots are unpeeled carrots, broiled or otherwise cooked until blackened in places.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Democratic Pirate posted:

The worst carrots are soft honey glazed baby carrots. The best carrots are unpeeled carrots, broiled or otherwise cooked until blackened in places.

I like buying the medley bag of white orange purple etc carrots, tossing them in olive oil, salt and habanero pepper, then roasting them.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I cut unpeeled carrots and parsnips into largish chunks, toss with honey and rosemary and roast until just getting charred on the edges.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I buy artisan baby carrots, hand-whittled by a carrotsmith.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I like to just roast carrots in butter, a little brown sugar, and ginger.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Carrots are only good shredded and stir fried with spices and coconut.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I like carrots

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sextro posted:

I like carrots

Yes. In most forms. Roast carrots with cumin makes a great base for a dip/spread.
dino’s grated stir-fried carrot is amazingly delicious, especially given how simple it is.
Roast carrots are delicious. So are raw ones. And carrot salad.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I did sous vide carrots once. A bit too firm and sweet, but I can see the appeal for people who want healthy candy

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Conceptually I like carrots. But they're not a substitute for my mandatory green vegetables and making multiple vegetables for a meal is way too much work.

The classic french preparation is my favorite (half inch of stock+wine + some butter, steam with lid ajar, brown a little once liquid is all gone) but I'm too lazy.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 21, 2019

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I don't pick the carrots out of my Normandy Medley.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Carrot peels go in the scraps bag in the freezer for stock.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like carrots ;-* :wink:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

BrianBoitano posted:

sous vide carrots

welcome to hell, kids

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

I did sous vide carrots once. A bit too firm and sweet, but I can see the appeal for people who want healthy candy

I mean you can cook your carrots sous vide without added sugar. I prefer the char from roasting them but it doesn't have to be a choice between candied and not.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

OMGVBFLOL posted:

welcome to hell, kids

What’s wrong with sous vide carrots?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I just brush my carrots with melted butter and roast them whole unpeeled, covered until they soften and then uncovered until they get brown and crispy on the outside.

It tastes awesome and you can do a giant dish of them at once.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

My fingat got got thanks to (my dumbass) slicing carrots with the mandolin. I am now the sworn enemy of all root vegetables, baby or otherwise

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Eat This Glob posted:

My fingat got got thanks to (my dumbass) slicing carrots with the mandolin. I am now the sworn enemy of all root vegetables, baby or otherwise

Join me and we will rule the Galaxy, Bucket and Glob, and re make it in our glorious carrot free vision

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

What better way to destroy your enemies but to chop them to pieces, burn the poo poo out of them, devour them, and poo poo them out.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Thumposaurus posted:

What better way to destroy your enemies but to chop them to pieces, burn the poo poo out of them, devour them, and poo poo them out.

That is why I have made lambs my sworn foes.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Suspect Bucket posted:

Join me and we will rule the Galaxy, Bucket and Glob, and re make it in our glorious carrot free vision

Thumposaurus posted:

It appears I have a very serious decision to make...

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I like to just roast carrots in butter, a little brown sugar, and ginger.

The Vitamix Man would like a word. He puts buttered carrots on par with mAshED poTAtoEs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ0uz6YdTcM&t=443s

I spent the last 15 minutes watching and re-watching this guy say mashed potatoes in that derpy voice.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

dino. posted:

The Vitamix Man would like a word. He puts buttered carrots on par with mAshED poTAtoEs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ0uz6YdTcM&t=443s

I spent the last 15 minutes watching and re-watching this guy say mashed potatoes in that derpy voice.

Why is his knife so big

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Why is his knife so big

People were smaller back then.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Whaaaat the gently caress is that voice

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I love how all of the nutrition stuff he mentions is still sold today as new information behind whatever diet fad is in this week.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
He just put an ENTIRE RAW EGG SHELL AND ALL in a SMOOTHIE

The timbre of this guy's voice is the exact opposite of the gentleman from old Blendtek's Will It Blend series.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Whaaaat the gently caress is that voice

i have no interest in being on television, but if I could get an SNL audition, I'd do this guy's schtick verbatim and probably be heralded as the next bill hader. good god. seriously, what's up with the OG vitamix guy?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Suspect Bucket posted:

He just put an ENTIRE RAW EGG SHELL AND ALL in a SMOOTHIE

pretty sure milled eggshells can be used as a calcium supplement. not sure how id feel about this tho

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Eggs (with the shell) is a classic smoothie ingredient. Look up old lemonade recipes that came with food processors and stand mixers. I'd link one but I'm phone posting, iirc breville had a bunch of recipes like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Eat This Glob posted:

i have no interest in being on television, but if I could get an SNL audition, I'd do this guy's schtick verbatim and probably be heralded as the next bill hader. good god. seriously, what's up with the OG vitamix guy?

It was 1950something. So they didn't have budgets to do multiple cameras, editing, or much of anything else. He's not a professional actor by any stretch. He's pretty much going there, broadcasting live, and has to go off the cuff the whole time.