Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't believe you.

They’re pretty decent. They have a lot of decently renowned chefs in charge of everything now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't believe you.

Well, at the very top end, their flagship "fine dining" experience, Victoria and Albert's, isn't just the best restaurant on the property, or even greater Orlando; it's considered one of the best fine-dining restaurants in the state and could credibly defend being on the shortlist nationwide.

e: I believe a goon works (or worked) in their kitchen; I vaguely remember some really cool pictures out of that thread derail.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Again, this is one of the best places in Florida where the poor eat waffle House and the rich are too old and hate filled to taste anything whatsoever. We're comparing between failed states and places that encourage human survival.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

T-man posted:

Again, this is one of the best places in Florida where the poor eat waffle House and the rich are too old and hate filled to taste anything whatsoever. We're comparing between failed states and places that encourage human survival.

"Victoria & Albert's is also ranked as the number 2 fine dining restaurant in the United States by TripAdvisor, behind only Daniel in New York City. In February 2018, it received the prestigious Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star Award and is currently the only restaurant in the state of Florida to receive both the AAA Five Diamond and Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star awards."

I loving hate this sort of award in general but as a long-time restaurant worker I also hate people dunking on the folks busting rear end there to make amazing food, because they can't possibly make good food, because it is Disney World.

Complain about the company and I'm with you, but the kitchen staffs are genuinely great and it isn't just vomit-inducing overpriced theme park food. They do loving work.

(also the idea of Florida as some unique hellhole is false but whatever)

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Alright touche, the chefs are great and Florida is just patient zero.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Disney World has been improving food quality in general over the last decade. I think Hollywood Studios is the only park left without a 3-dollar-sign restaurant serving legitimately good food and some of the resorts have them too.

Disney Springs also has a bunch of restaurants now. There’s restaurants by Morimoto, Art Smith, Jose Andres, and that just covers the famous guys. They also have bars where you can finally get properly made and measured cocktails!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

T-man posted:

Alright touche, the chefs are great and Florida is just patient zero.

Or it's just that Florida has open, regressive freedom of information laws that make every person that does a dumb thing there a nationally-known Florida Person, free-to-be-doxxed, while millions of other americans do the same dumb poo poo but don't get called out or turned into a meme because their drunk shenanigans don't get by law turned into public knowledge.

Florida is really not some crazy unique place.

e: to put it lightly: if Texas Man or NY Man or Ontario Man or Québec Man got the same treatment as Florida Man then I'd be the meme king of the internet

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 21:16 on Nov 24, 2019

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

chitoryu12 posted:

Disney World has been improving food quality in general over the last decade. I think Hollywood Studios is the only park left without a 3-dollar-sign restaurant serving legitimately good food and some of the resorts have them too.

Does the Hollywood Brown Derby count? I thought it was pretty good, but then I'm no gourmand. Anyway we made a point of not eating anything in the park you'd have to stand in line for, and to an unrefined palate it was all pretty good.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Like I know your making GBS threads all over Florida because it's the edgelord thing to do, but Orlando really does have some fantastic restaurants in it.

Like, even if you dont include Disney Springs, which actually does put a lot of effort into making good food, theres a ton of good local places to eat there.

Theres more to the city than just Disney.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Right next to some huge rear end tourist shops there's a legit caravan of food trucks.

I went to Orlando recently on a guy's trip, and we went to the Magic Kingdom. No we weren't a bunch of dudes guffawing at children in front of us in line, but it was a great time, nostalgic for me since I grew up in Anaheim and went to Disneyland like every weekend. I know I missed out on the good food there, but the Dole Whip is legit.

Anyways my all-white friends just poo poo on this food truck place that I wanted to go to. They were scared cause it was mostly Latinos there, our grown-rear end-man friend who only eats fried chicken strips complained that food trucks aren't any good.

Well last day I finally convinced them and they loving loved it, except fried chicken strip dude, who got fried chicken strips that he said tasted like friend chicken strips you could get anywhere else.

I hate that dude.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Grem posted:

Right next to some huge rear end tourist shops there's a legit caravan of food trucks.

I went to Orlando recently on a guy's trip, and we went to the Magic Kingdom. No we weren't a bunch of dudes guffawing at children in front of us in line, but it was a great time, nostalgic for me since I grew up in Anaheim and went to Disneyland like every weekend. I know I missed out on the good food there, but the Dole Whip is legit.

Anyways my all-white friends just poo poo on this food truck place that I wanted to go to. They were scared cause it was mostly Latinos there, our grown-rear end-man friend who only eats fried chicken strips complained that food trucks aren't any good.

Well last day I finally convinced them and they loving loved it, except fried chicken strip dude, who got fried chicken strips that he said tasted like friend chicken strips you could get anywhere else.

I hate that dude.

Wow I hate him

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
We ate at that Winnie the Pooh buffet and the dude got stuff off the kid's table, only. I literally passed him on the way to the food and said "Hey man, that's the kid's table!" but he was not deterred. He got chicken fingers.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Grem posted:

We ate at that Winnie the Pooh buffet and the dude got stuff off the kid's table, only. I literally passed him on the way to the food and said "Hey man, that's the kid's table!" but he was not deterred. He got chicken fingers.

Life is too short to spend it eating out with chicken strips dude.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:sever:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"Victoria & Albert's is also ranked as the number 2 fine dining restaurant in the United States by TripAdvisor, behind only Daniel in New York City. In February 2018, it received the prestigious Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star Award and is currently the only restaurant in the state of Florida to receive both the AAA Five Diamond and Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star awards."

I loving hate this sort of award in general but as a long-time restaurant worker I also hate people dunking on the folks busting rear end there to make amazing food, because they can't possibly make good food, because it is Disney World.

Complain about the company and I'm with you, but the kitchen staffs are genuinely great and it isn't just vomit-inducing overpriced theme park food. They do loving work.

(also the idea of Florida as some unique hellhole is false but whatever)

Yeah, I have a friend who's a chef, and when he got a position at a Disney World restaurant it was A Big Deal. Those spots are competitive as hell.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

You got out for 'chick strips' with the boys and not 'chicken strips'.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

hyperhazard posted:

Yeah, I have a friend who's a chef, and when he got a position at a Disney World restaurant it was A Big Deal. Those spots are competitive as hell.

My dad spent ages trying to get hired as a chef there, even two decades of experience at the Four Seasons wasn't enough to make him stand out compared to the other people that applied.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Inceltown posted:

You got out for 'chick strips' with the boys and not 'chicken strips'.

Before our trip to Vegas last year he was a virgin.

We paid to change that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

T-man posted:

This is extravagant fine-dining by midwest standards.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Or it's just that Florida has open, regressive freedom of information laws that make every person that does a dumb thing there a nationally-known Florida Person, free-to-be-doxxed, while millions of other americans do the same dumb poo poo but don't get called out or turned into a meme because their drunk shenanigans don't get by law turned into public knowledge.

Florida is really not some crazy unique place.

e: to put it lightly: if Texas Man or NY Man or Ontario Man or Québec Man got the same treatment as Florida Man then I'd be the meme king of the internet

Florida also has alligators, so in most other states "Man throws baby alligator through drive-through window" would involve a much more boring animal.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Grem posted:

We paid to change that.

wtf

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Grem posted:

We paid to change that.

Ewwww.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Prostitution is legal and regulated in Nevada

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lol fuckin prudes

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pththya-lyi posted:

Sir, this is a churro stand.
You ever have a bit you think is so funny you gotta do four separate posts in a row about it?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Huh I didn’t think that happened outside lame 80s comedies

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vib Rib posted:

You ever have a bit you think is so funny you gotta do four separate posts in a row about it?

Nope. Two is my limit and I've never deluded myself into thinking my bits are funny.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T-man posted:

T-man I love you sis, but I will not have you slander the good name of the Waffle House.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Grem posted:

We paid to change that.

Captain Chicken Fingers diet stopped advancing at 9 years old and apparently his social skills as well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I absolutely think that the chefs and staff working at Victoria & Albert's bust their asses to do great work.

That said, the tasting menu is like, ehhhhhh.

https://www.victoria-alberts.com/pdf/Chefs-Degustation-Nov-19.pdf

Nothing on there is particularly adventurous. Lots of adjectives and I'm sure it's well-made but it's also still Disney World and the menu must be designed to not offend fat old white rich people. Take away the flowery language and you've got shrimp, fish with lemon, pork chops, quail, steak, gelato.

The tasting menu is $270 a person (if you add the turbot) with $150 wine pairings. That's about what you'd pay at a place like Alinea or The French Laundry, and those are places that are Michelin-rranked The Best In The Entire World instead of just #2 in a specific category as ranked by TripAdvisor.

basically my thesis is disney world is highly polished but ultimately very conservative and also exceptionally expensive

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Does the Hollywood Brown Derby count? I thought it was pretty good, but then I'm no gourmand. Anyway we made a point of not eating anything in the park you'd have to stand in line for, and to an unrefined palate it was all pretty good.

Brown Derby is good but it's not on the same level as Tiffins at Animal Kingdom or the entire smorgasbord that is Epcot (especially during a festival). That said, they have massively improved the food there since I was a kid.

Sagebrush posted:

I absolutely think that the chefs and staff working at Victoria & Albert's bust their asses to do great work.

That said, the tasting menu is like, ehhhhhh.

https://www.victoria-alberts.com/pdf/Chefs-Degustation-Nov-19.pdf

Nothing on there is particularly adventurous. Lots of adjectives and I'm sure it's well-made but it's also still Disney World and the menu must be designed to not offend fat old white rich people. Take away the flowery language and you've got shrimp, fish with lemon, pork chops, quail, steak, gelato.

The tasting menu is $270 a person (if you add the turbot) with $150 wine pairings. That's about what you'd pay at a place like Alinea or The French Laundry, and those are places that are Michelin-rranked The Best In The Entire World instead of just #2 in a specific category as ranked by TripAdvisor.

basically my thesis is disney world is highly polished but ultimately very conservative and also exceptionally expensive

I've had the tasting menu before and yes, it is actually on par with other restaurants that charge that much for a tasting menu. The descriptions don't describe the taste.

I would agree that Disney doesn't have good food if you're basing it off that time you went 10 or 20 years ago. Over the past decade they've been putting a ton of work into redoing their food and drink because they realized that bars and restaurants in Orlando outside the parks were now on par with other major cities and they were losing dollars to them. The remake from Downtown Disney to Disney Springs has been specifically cited by Disney executives as because of competition from downtown Orlando and Winter Park. That said, they still have lots of places with lovely food that appeals to small town Midwestern folk who don't like seasoning on their chicken.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Sagebrush posted:

Food doesn't have to be adventurous to be good, though. The best food is often some variant on "brownish goop with chunks poured over carbs" and generally the more "adventurous" food is the more it branches into inedibility just to try and be boundary-breaking.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
This page made me call my dad and thank him for never taking me to Disney world so I wouldn’t feel compelled to contribute

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah I'm not a fan of fat old rich white people but if you don't have to ever cater to them in your life then congratu-loving-lations you've made it

Also the vast majority of the said white people aren't from Florida, hell few of them are from the US south.

Rich white people at Disney World tend to be from NY, Cali, or Germany.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Nov 24, 2019

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

This page made me call my dad and thank him for never taking me to Disney world so I wouldn’t feel compelled to contribute

gently caress that, I've been to Disney World once, nearly 20 years ago, and the hibachi place in Epcot was fantastic.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I went to Disney World as a kid in the early `90s. I barely even remember the rides, much less the food.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

And yet, you did anyway.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Tenebrais posted:

And yet, you did anyway.

extremely generous of you to say I am contributing, thank you, you are also contributing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

PurpleXVI posted:

generally the more "adventurous" food is the more it branches into inedibility just to try and be boundary-breaking.

i once ate an ice cream cone made of fish cake and caviar and yuzu and it was one of the most delicious things i've ever tried

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/Nickrob/status/1198732701903147008?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FFT posted:

gently caress that, I've been to Disney World once, nearly 20 years ago, and the hibachi place in Epcot was fantastic.

It's still there if you ever want to go! There's also, like, normal hibachi places like Benihana and Kobe that serve basically the same food.

But the Japan pavilion did just open Takumi-Tei, which is probably the best Japanese food in the entire state. It's not cheap but it's phenomenal. I also did a Kaiyo whiskey blending seminar and lunch there and made some of the best whiskey I've ever had in my life.