Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

People get hosed up when they allow hobbies to become part of their own sense of self identity and then that thing gets bad or attacked or threatened or whatever and they can't emotionally detach enough to realize its not an attack on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Even if you're a die hard life long WWE Stan what harm does another wrestling company existing bring to your life? I don't understand these people at all.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

gently caress VCR and everyone that engages with him on twitter

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I really wish VCR used literally anyone other than Velveteen Dream as their avatar.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I really wish VCR used literally anyone other than Velveteen Dream as their avatar.

It's just to deflect criticism of him being a bigot

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

davidbix posted:

"Social justice is about the idea of getting 'justice' on social media."

MY GOD.

Genuinely thank you for posting this, Bix. It's literally the first time I've realised that there may actually be a literal element of two sides parsing that phrase differently. Like, I never got how the right turned that phrase into a perjorative and now I sort of can tilt my head, squint, and see it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't THINK that's a common interpretation. The idea that the "social" in "social justice warrior" refers to "social media" is a new one to me. But then again I tend to spend less time on Twitter and more time around people who acknowledge that "social justice" is an idea that existed before social media. So I might have just been ignorant to that interpretation.

But they're the same people who use the pejorative "virtue signaling" even though the only way that would even work as a concept is if they didn't claim the "virtue" was morally wrong. It doesn't have to make sense. Its just about deflection and namecalling and trying to "own" people my getting them mad.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

It's just to deflect criticism of him being a bigot

Twitter assholes using black people as avatars is super common and it really strikes me as a deliberate tactical thing

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

A matryoshka doll of the dregs of wrestling twitter

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it just seems like twitter shorthand for "I gave a black friend." Like that guy who was following all his racist takes with OJ Simpson memes.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

that guy's a piece of garbage please stop linking him it goes past stupid wrestling opinions and into disgusting rhetoric and lulzy aids poo poo

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I've already blocked him, why do you guys have to screencap him?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
I'd just like to say that "but you like Nick Gage!" (and occasionally "but you like Booker T!" and/or "but you like MVP!") concern trolling is the laziest poo poo imaginable and a massive pet peeve of mine.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Since it was recently discussed, I had no idea Kenny is bi. That's like, confirmed? Because if so that kicks rear end and I can probably get a friend on board AEW with a prominent bi wrestler.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

TheKingslayer posted:

Since it was recently discussed, I had no idea Kenny is bi. That's like, confirmed? Because if so that kicks rear end and I can probably get a friend on board AEW with a prominent bi wrestler.
As much as it can be without there being articles with him saying "I am bisexual," yes. Some people weirdly like to claim that it's a bullshit work to get LGBT fans, which...uh...OK?

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmusLsA-jG0

How many of the dudes in this 16 year old Guy Maddin short were stealing gay valour, do you think

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

He's talked openly about dating both men and women and goes on intermittent twitter sprees where he likes a bunch of posts about his inspiring other by being openly bi. Also used the bi flag in his Tanahashi 16-bit style promo that was done by SA's own Everdraed.

Plus, you know, Kota.

Stealth edit:
Found one

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I can't express how great that is to see. I can't speak to anyone else's struggles but my friend has seemed to have a hard time finding representation since she came out.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

TheKingslayer posted:

I can't express how great that is to see. I can't speak to anyone else's struggles but my friend has seemed to have a hard time finding representation since she came out.

Buddy you have no idea.

I wish it was more prominent but Kenny has clearly elected to keep it more private. If I had to guess I would say that while Tyson Smith is for sure bi, the character Kenny Omega only has eyes for Kota. Given how we're generally treated in both the public eye (and especially the media) I do understand why he's approached it the way he has.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Just now found out about that VCR, and it kind of sucks some people I know follow him. Because he sounds like a "Kill Barney" dork but has moved onto the late 80s/90s of "if you are gay, i hope you die from AIDS" kind of humor, that is personally offensive to me.

If you don't like Kenny, sure, but it sounds like the guy who wants to be just like all the reactionary dipshits on youtube whenever there is a woman-lead superhero movie or whenever somebody points out something they liked might actually have problem areas towards how it represents certain groups.

I saw Kenny as more of a "Nerd Wrestler" like Chuck Taylor when he was billed from Racoon City and had Hey Sandy as the theme.

But his empathy and the way he tries to bring emotion into anything, is something that I felt is missing from what amounts to "big fat dude in diaper punches a muscle boy in jorts".

I haven't watched much of the WWE Product for a few years, so seeing Kenny's work at NJPW was a breath of fresh air (Sorry for the long delay, goon pals) .

I too, reported these tweets, but knowing twitter, they won't do anything.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/DragonGateKeepr/status/1198757548419010560

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

there can only be one joshi at a time, this is canon

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I love how WWE Stans didn't know who Asuka was until she joined WWE and now anyone the same race as her is pretending to be her.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

TheKingslayer posted:

there's a bunch of times he's liked tweets where he's referred to as bisexual and has even said "he does know I swing both ways right?" in a BTE episode.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

wwe is legitimately only triple h cosplayers

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If you guys want to see Kenny Omegas mom learn he's bi, that Omega Man documentary captured this moment on film. His dad already knew.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cavauro posted:

wwe is legitimately only triple h cosplayers

What about the guys who are Rey Mysterio cosplayers?

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

There’s a lot of queer folks, and I’ve noticed this in bi men especially, who live more-or-less openly but don’t like having to make formal statements about it for various reasons. Freddie was like that, too.

Especially for public figures it attracts a lot of extra scrutiny into your personal life, and tends to get people digging into your exes, both male and female. Plus the inevitable “He’s just a straight guy doing it for attention!” and “He’s actually gay, he just doesn’t want to admit” speculation that always comes out of the woodworks.

Kenny seems like a pretty private guy outside of his wrestling career, I’ve just been assuming he doesn’t want to deal with any more of that than he already does.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I always assumed he kept quiet about it so that he wouldn't be pressured to make it part of his character.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I mean there's also the fact that, despite what it seems like on the internet news sites, both wrestling and in general, people sexualtities are their own loving business and don't need to be trumpeted to the heavens in order to "be real" or "matter".

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

There’s a lot of queer folks, and I’ve noticed this in bi men especially, who live more-or-less openly but don’t like having to make formal statements about it for various reasons. Freddie was like that, too.

Especially for public figures it attracts a lot of extra scrutiny into your personal life, and tends to get people digging into your exes, both male and female. Plus the inevitable “He’s just a straight guy doing it for attention!” and “He’s actually gay, he just doesn’t want to admit” speculation that always comes out of the woodworks.

Kenny seems like a pretty private guy outside of his wrestling career, I’ve just been assuming he doesn’t want to deal with any more of that than he already does.

Living as an openly bi dude is pretty much a neverending stream of constantly having to "perform" for everyone you run into about your sexuality.

"Oh you're bi but you're dating a man?"
"You're dating a straight woman are you still bi?"
"Have you ever had sex with a man or are you just curious?"
"How do you know you're not straight/gay?"

On and on and on. Bisexual men in particular are just openly vilified in the media at every opportunity. We're always the villains, the promiscuous shitheads, the disease spreaders, assholes who are just 'confused,' etc.

The constant questioning and hate you see Kenny get just on Twitter is your everyday existence that people have zero compunction about slinging right at your face because they see you as a bizarre curiosity to be examined and questioned. The bullshit doesn't even end when you get away from dipshit straights, as a huge portion of the queer community will legit tell you to gently caress off because you're "straight passing" (whatever the gently caress that means).

tldr I don't blame Kenny for his actions and laud him for being as open as he is.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Living as an openly bi dude is pretty much a neverending stream of constantly having to "perform" for everyone you run into about your sexuality.

On and on and on. Bisexual men in particular are just openly vilified in the media at every opportunity. We're always the villains, the promiscuous shitheads, the disease spreaders, assholes who are just 'confused,' etc.

The constant questioning and hate you see Kenny get just on Twitter is your everyday existence that people have zero compunction about slinging right at your face because they see you as a bizarre curiosity to be examined and questioned. The bullshit doesn't even end when you get away from dipshit straights, as a huge portion of the queer community will legit tell you to gently caress off because you're "straight passing" (whatever the gently caress that means).

tldr I don't blame Kenny for his actions and laud him for being as open as he is.

I’m sorry you have to deal with this. People are lovely.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

because you're "straight passing" (whatever the gently caress that means).

It means they don't believe we're real. Only gays and straights are "valid" in their oppression rankings.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

ShootaBoy posted:

It means they don't believe we're real. Only gays and straights are "valid" in their oppression rankings.

Every time I ask someone 'and what the gently caress is that supposed to mean?' I get a different answer

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Nystral posted:

I’m sorry you have to deal with this. People are lovely.

Thanks homie. It's the life is all, I chose to be both open and combative about it because I know how important it is to teach people to shut the gently caress up and keep their dumbass questions to themselves. I will fully admit that it gets old as the hills getting ready to throw down for the 1000th time because some idiot just had to know the exact number of dicks I've sucked over the course of my life.

Edit:
Whoops thought this was an edit lol

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I was REALLY shy in my early twenties and I struggled to get laid with a dude for the longest time, I was so anxious to “prove” myself. I remember after I finally had sex with a guy I was so proud of myself for being a real bisexual. Like Pinocchio and the Blue Fairy, only the Blue Fairy was a house show organizer/glassblower with two rats for pets.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Solidarity from a bi dude in a serious relationship with a woman, comrade. The “straight passing” thing is a constant problem.

The villain thing is so goddamn ubiquitous. I remember when I was 20 and realized every male character that I’d ever related to on television was an effete villain. That James from Pokémon energy. Which, you know, I love James. But it’s a really lovely feeling when you’re 20 years old and you realize people like you are near-universally regarded as untrustworthy and narcissistic.

Our biggest representations in literature are Dorian Gray and freaking Dracula.

Pinstripe Hourglass fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 25, 2019

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Ah, I found the tweet from @jake_nazars_professor saying "he wrote another lovely paper"

Fair point, well played. Carry on, Graves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the real suiter