Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

coconono posted:

Louis CK is back on the stand up circuit

Not just back but constantly selling out shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

really disappointed in dave's take and heel digging here.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm don't understand why it has to be a starvation or racist comment. Why can't it be both?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

PaybackJack posted:

My first thought was the starvation aspect and not the racial one. I can see how people who didn't grow up during the period when Ethopian starvation was the pop world issue of the day wouldn't know that though, so calling it a racist remark is fair game.

Dave is absolutely right though that are people that are happy to use this as an excuse to get him out though, because I'm one of those people. The joke wasn't offensive to me, but I'm happy to use it as a way to make Cornette accountable for his other more overt or actually malicious racist/homophobic/ethnically derogatory speech. While I'm happy to see Cornette get the lion's share of the blame in this, there should be more heat on the NWA for this.
Nope. He could've picked any food he wanted. He chose a bucket of fried chicken when talking about black people. Being racist isn't a disease. It's poo poo you say and do. He did a racist thing. He told a racist joke. It super doesn't matter if he meant it as a racist joke because intent isn't magic, but that doesn't even matter, because he meant it as a racist joke.

Fuckin' hell. Why does Jim Cornette get the benefit of the doubt about this? Well, the same reason ACH didn't. White supremacy is so deeply embedded in our culture that we'll excuse clear loving racism and won't believe a black man and all this is done under the guise of "playing devil's advocate."

The devil doesn't need advocates.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Jim Valley wondering if he was getting old and turning on a lamp with the clapper on Saturday WOL was great.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

mariooncrack posted:

I'm don't understand why it has to be a starvation or racist comment. Why can't it be both?

It's both! If a bunch of white children were starving in the UK it would be a tragedy. African kids? Joke fodder.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MysticalMachineGun posted:

It's both! If a bunch of white children were starving in the UK it would be a tragedy. African kids? Joke fodder.
Right? Even the starvation joke is racist as gently caress.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, like... even if you give Cornette every benefit of the doubt he and his defenders want you to he's STILL just an rear end in a top hat making fun of starving children because they're foreign enough to him that he can disconnect any human empathy.

I thought his co-host's take was interesting (if cowardly) because he very clearly thought the joke was lovely and "offensive" and punching down but he also just walked on eggshells because he didn't want to imply Cornette might have been racist on any level or that anyone has a right to say he is.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I just saw a video of Jim dropping the n bomb like a dozen times so I'll just go out on a limb and say the mother fucker is definitely racist.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BRB gonna' rob a bunch of people blind and then tell them "in my heart, I know I'm not a criminal. Some of my best friends are victims of crimes."

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

his defense of that is "i was taught the way to win an argument is to piss the other guy off first so i think of the most offensive things i can call him"

which says a lot that his first instinct when arguing with people of color is to fire off racial slurs. ol' lovely racist boomer

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He wasn't being racist when he called that black guy the n-word. He just wanted to win the argument.

I'm talking, of course, about Michael Richards.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

BRB gonna' rob a bunch of people blind and then tell them "in my heart, I know I'm not a criminal. Some of my best friends are victims of crimes."

my heart and my best intentions tells me I did not steal your plasma screen tv but the facts and evidence of the matter tell me I did

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
The only Jim we should respect is Jim Valley. That interview with Kenny was amazing, and then when Dave jumped in, he went all "I remember the Palace" and trying to explain the deathmatch and was awkward.

At least Valley knows the hard hitting questions such as - update on AEW video game, trying to get Joshi wrestling over in the U.S. and the pressure he puts himself both on and off the ring.

I think, much like Cornette, Dave is good when it comes to history and unlike Cornette, is able to explain different styles and be essentially the Blockbuster Video recommends guy, for wrestling.

IF YOU LIKE ECW DECEMBER TO DISMEMBER, TRY ALL JAPAN...

Also, you could probably come up with a better craptacular "starvation joke" - such as "he is so hungry to win, he is picturing his opponent as a GIANT turkey leg"

But alas - at least tonight is a Granny episode of B&V

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I thought Kenny's take on Cornette was really well stated.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Didn't Cornette go off on Muslims a few years ago too?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Dango Bango posted:

I thought Kenny's take on Cornette was really well stated.
What did he say?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

TelevisedInsanity posted:

The only Jim we should respect is Jim Valley. That interview with Kenny was amazing, and then when Dave jumped in, he went all "I remember the Palace" and trying to explain the deathmatch and was awkward.

At least Valley knows the hard hitting questions such as - update on AEW video game, trying to get Joshi wrestling over in the U.S. and the pressure he puts himself both on and off the ring.

I never listened to WOL because of the lovely callers, but I've started listening to the Saturday shows because Jim owns.

Him being much more in tune with the world outside of wrestling than Dave or Bryan is also a very welcome point of view.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

davidbix posted:

What did he say?

I don't remember exact quote, but he called him a carny multiple times and said there's no room for that kind of talk/behavior.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
WOL but it’s the pre-taped call in show sketch from Mr Show

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dango Bango posted:

I don't remember exact quote, but he called him a carny multiple times and said there's no room for that kind of talk/behavior.

Also that Cornette is desperate for attention as he becomes more out of touch and less relevant to modern wrestling.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
bryan's constant whining about "running out of time" on a prerecorded podcast is real irritating

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

their lovely server cant handle files longer than 90 minutes, it's why jim valley was freaking out muiltiple times during the kenny interview

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

also even if that werent the case bryan has said many many times how much he hates really long podcasts. surely a shot at bix

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Is the Omega interview available to non-subscribers? I poked around the Wrestling Observer listings on Apple podcasts, but didn’t see anything.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

no

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

here's a clip posted to the F4W youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3-oC7LPnoE

they also usually do a black friday sale if you want to subscribe then and give it a listen

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That guy from Cauliflower Alley they interviewed recently had a really good take on Cornette when they asked him about it I thought, where he basically said (this is paraphrased): "I really like Jim, I've always gotten on with him, but some things you say are simply unforgivable and if you can't change with the times then get out of the business."

No excuses, no qualifiers, just "It's unforgivable" and telling him to get out if he's going to keep on with this bullshit.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Jim Valley wondering if he was getting old and turning on a lamp with the clapper on Saturday WOL was great.

I am so glad I'm not the only person who found that hilarious :)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ricky Starks said pretty much the same thing. People are closing ranks and this is as much as you’re gonna get. I doubt Cornette will get a hero’s welcome next CAC.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I caught up on WOR, what the hell happened between Joey Mercury and Bryan Alvarez?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Jerusalem posted:

I caught up on WOR, what the hell happened between Joey Mercury and Bryan Alvarez?

Alvarez dm'd him joey got pissed saying who is he posted the dm om his timeline. Got told he was in the wrong by people on twitter then deleted the tweet and apologiaed to bryan via dm

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks!

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Is the Omega interview available to non-subscribers? I poked around the Wrestling Observer listings on Apple podcasts, but didn’t see anything.

check your PMs my goon friend.

Jerusalem posted:

That guy from Cauliflower Alley they interviewed recently had a really good take on Cornette when they asked him about it I thought, where he basically said (this is paraphrased): "I really like Jim, I've always gotten on with him, but some things you say are simply unforgivable and if you can't change with the times then get out of the business."

No excuses, no qualifiers, just "It's unforgivable" and telling him to get out if he's going to keep on with this bullshit.

I am so glad I'm not the only person who found that hilarious :)

People are sleeping on Jim Valley because they are so used to Dave Meltzer tangents and Bryan "Minus Five Stars" Alvarez talking about bad wrestling.

But Jim has the viewpoint of wrestling that matches that of so many wrestling audiences, he can effectively explain *WHY* Cody Rhodes is the best wrestler in the world and even record a wrestling segment while inside Six Flags Magic Mountain.

A master of many trades, and one that also is trying his best to promote Cauliflower Alley whenever possible to help those in need.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
granny has a very jaunty ring tone

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I need to see this picture of Paisley

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The gently caress is happening with Youtube and Fightful?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

WOR ended on a great Dave being dave talking about aew on ppv then randomly tangents on to mayweather fighting again.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MJeff posted:

The gently caress is happening with Youtube and Fightful?

YouTube has been applying copyright strikes to review videos before they've even started streaming and without them using any actually copyrighted content. Finally hit Fightful's wrestling channel yesterday.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

youtube sucks for "content creators"

Was there anything more to Bryan and Joey i saw the twitter stuff but did he say if anything happened after?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Big Huski Boi posted:

YouTube has been applying copyright strikes to review videos before they've even started streaming and without them using any actually copyrighted content. Finally hit Fightful's wrestling channel yesterday.

Apparently without those content creators even claiming the content? Or without the videos/streams even having any strikable content?????

Cause it sounds like one of them was a stream on DAZN and DAZN never actually made a copyright claim.