Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Oh hey CitizenCon happened.

Did I miss anything? Looks like Sandi got Lesnick'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
is there a good rundown post of what happened at the con i missed it all. did anything funny happen? im gonna dl the game and have a laugh with this free fly event, wish me luck. i hope i can uninstall it when im done :ohdear:

e;fb

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The demo froze and the guy running it didn't know how to use the UI

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

AlternateAccount posted:

So wait, their big big announcements were:

1> Release of a big dumb ship that's years overdue.

2> A new mode that's basically vanilla-level basic bitch Crytek multiplayer FPS? Like the same poo poo people have been doing in Crytek and other engines since 2002? How do they justify diverting funds from finishing the Bee Dee Ess Ess Ee to make their own boring as gently caress jank BF clone? NO ONE ASKED FOR THIS.

I can't believe there is not more upset!!! Like don't you know CIG are now making 3 AAA games, it's ok take your time.

It's only taken 8-9 months of dev time and should be ready maybe some time next year ....

How can you justify making another game, that is going to take years while you are already years late delivering the game you promised.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

AlternateAccount posted:

So wait, their big big announcements were:

1> Release of a big dumb ship that's years overdue.

2> A new mode that's basically vanilla-level basic bitch Crytek multiplayer FPS? Like the same poo poo people have been doing in Crytek and other engines since 2002? How do they justify diverting funds from finishing the Bee Dee Ess Ess Ee to make their own boring as gently caress jank BF clone? NO ONE ASKED FOR THIS.

Actually that ship wasnt released. It was pushed to February next year and the backers found out thru a Reddit leak.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

UnknownTarget posted:

Actually that ship wasnt released. It was pushed to February next year and the backers found out thru a Reddit leak.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
:smug: So you've seen the final release then?

Lmao

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
2020 will be the year development really hits its stride.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

does top notch security include The Wulge?

Also Mr. Tophat is hilarious to read, he argues like a 5 year old and has to get the final word in no matter what

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The cinematic Sarsa posted looks like absolute loving poo poo lmao. They've somehow managed to combine actual good looking leather texture with a hand from a loving PS2 game, complete with octagonal shirt sleeves lol.

Whenever I see someone saying Star Citizen looks "amazing" I want to laugh right in their dumb idiot face.

Sarsapariller posted:

Expo is starting. I'm not doing ship reviews this year because fundamentally none of the ships have changed and honestly I'm having too much fun with Disco Elysium to bother reinstalling the garbage SC client this week.

Somehow their facial animation rigs have become even worse. Space Jeremy Clarkson looks like he's doing a bad lip sync this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exJi4m7oZwU

I might hop in tomorrow to gently caress around their broken rear end convention center and review the new Pisces thing, if only because I get the distinct impression that it is the starter ship they should have made years ago. I'll keep y'all posted.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
Squadron 54 never got a mention so it must be really close to release.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Loving these janky Theater of War gifs. FPS games are a genre where everything "feeling right" is essential to having fun. Can't imagine tolerating any of that, especially paying to tolerate it.

250 million lmao.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

The cinematic Sarsa posted looks like absolute loving poo poo lmao. They've somehow managed to combine actual good looking leather texture with a hand from a loving PS2 game, complete with octagonal shirt sleeves lol.

Whenever I see someone saying Star Citizen looks "amazing" I want to laugh right in their dumb idiot face.

I might hop in tomorrow to gently caress around their broken rear end convention center and review the new Pisces thing, if only because I get the distinct impression that it is the starter ship they should have made years ago. I'll keep y'all posted.

Thinking back, the Aurora was such a shitbox that I think it put me off buying into SC back in the day. I just didnt see the appeal and I didn't want to shell out more dosh. Introductory ships should actually be appealing.

like, the Sidewinder (Elite Dangerous) is a piece of crap but it has a dorky appeal to it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The "amazing" graphics and animations, like the stock "raising arm to shield face" which was actually talked up as a good thing "and you can see that it's cold and windy, see he's raising his arm"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

queef anxiety posted:

did anything funny happen?

A dude wore a colostomy bag.

Orv
May 4, 2011

precision posted:

The "amazing" graphics and animations, like the stock "raising arm to shield face" which was actually talked up as a good thing "and you can see that it's cold and windy, see he's raising his arm"

The way in which people were excited for the helmet shaking around because the character was cold made me genuinely concerned for the people in that auditorium.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh hey CitizenCon happened.

Did I miss anything? Looks like Sandi got Lesnick'd.

It was a pretty lackluster wrap-up, Beer. Even measured against prior Citcons, 2019 was a year of meager progress and bad publicity. The show was a drag, and mostly notable for what they didn’t talk about — particularly Squadron 42, Sandi’s absence, etc. (I posted some theories if curious.)

It’s pretty crazy that they didn’t say a word about Squadron considering that they raised $46 million last year to supposedly help market it next year. Then again, the Roadmaps suggest Squadron hit a wall and has no hope of release next year, so maybe they’re saving that bad news for some time after they finish hawking all their ships.

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Here's a fun thought - what if the famed instance of Sandi scepticism on ATV where she upbraided Chris was actually real and she noped out?

I think Lando (possibly with Ben assists) wrote that script, and the intent was to let Sandi give voice to what a lot of skeptical backers were saying. The community responded to “bad cop” Sandi with so much enthusiasm it’s surprising they didn’t keep her around and routinize it.

Then again, maybe they couldn’t.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

precision posted:

*picks up helmet that jitters*

"He's really cold!"

Honestly, even if that was intended, it's really bad animation. Especially when the hands weren't shaky at all while raising his arm against the cold, or while picking up the helmet.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
PCGAMER: Star Citizen shows off 20v20 mode, snow effects, Anvil Carack commercial

quote:

“Dragging tarps in the snow may be the definitive Star Citizen experience.”

“... it’s very much an Alpha.”

“Anyway, here’s a fake commercial:”

“I mean honestly, this doesn’t even have to be a game, it’s just nice to watch:”

“Anyways, I'm off to watch that gif with my head inside a freezer for the full experience.”

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
The problem with wanting Sandi to play the bad cop role is she can't play any role convincingly.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

I can't believe they added another goddamn runabout ship. That makes what, five now? Six? Every single capital ship is getting another smaller ship that is customized entirely for that one ship's hangar.

Idris -> Argo
890J -> 85X
Carrack -> pisces
Kraken -> Buccaneer
Constellation -> Merlin

None of these ships do anything particularly interesting- they're all just variants of "Get in and fly around." Maybe they can carry a box. The loving Merlin can't even quantum travel so it's double useless. Why? Why, CIG? Why make all these useless loving one and two seater ships? Just make one! Make the loving Argo or whatever the universal single-seat box-carrying runabout. Boom! I just cut your workload by like 6 months! Send me some loving money!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Thinking back, the Aurora was such a shitbox that I think it put me off buying into SC back in the day. I just didnt see the appeal and I didn't want to shell out more dosh. Introductory ships should actually be appealing.

like, the Sidewinder (Elite Dangerous) is a piece of crap but it has a dorky appeal to it.

It's actually a fair bit worse than even the fact that both ships look like poo poo, although the new Mustang actually looks decent in my opinion:

So, 90% of the game right now involves picking up unique crates, putting them in your cargo hold, and transporting them. It's what most missions ask you to do, and it's what makes you money the fastest. But you literally cannot put a box in the Mustang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vucyVzdWDj0&t=493s

And although you can in the Aurora, the last time I tried to do it you had to sort of... throw them in through the doors because you couldn't walk up the little ladder to get in, and they all sort of jumbled around and usually fell out because the inside part of the Aurora isn't specifically meant to hold cargo. Most Citizens suggest people buy the Avenger as a starter ship because besides being better in a fight (in that you can shoot it a couple times before it explodes instead of just once), it actually has a cargo area and more importantly, a ramp. Without these two things, doing box runs is borderline impossible and you're essentially locked out of 90% of the game. When they redesigned the 300i and related ships, they specifically made sure to put in a cargo hold that dropped down to the ground so you could stow boxes, otherwise the ship would have been basically worthless. Hand to God I was honestly considering upgrading to an Avenger because on the rare occasion that I want to make a dumb Star Citizen joke video, the thought having to deal with the starter ships is so horrible I convince myself not to, but it's like a... 30(?) upgrade and I don't have that much left in store credit, if I have any left at all, and I just couldn't justify giving more money to these assholes just so I could make bad youtube videos.

If the Pisces has a quantum drive, a ramp, and a little cargo area - which it seems like it does - then it has the things the actual "starter" ships have been missing and should have had all along. If it's priced close enough to them, literally nobody should be flying the loving Aurora any more.

e: Okay I just checked and upgrading from a Mustang alpha to an Avenger is $20 and upgrading to the Pisces C8X Exploration Who Gives A gently caress is... $15. There's a 5 dollar difference between the two ships and it's almost guaranteed the Avenger is better. Why the gently caress does this thing even exist lmfao

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 25, 2019

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Who else is expecting the "Theater of War" mode to archer the ever loving fuckery out of other team based shooters by adding in it's own "premium" currency system.

Here thread intern, I've already sussed it out for ya by playing Warthunder:

UEC credits = Non premium standard currency. Standard in game reward for kills/objectives, cannot be used to buy gametime. Can only be used to rent guns/vehicles. Every 100,000 can be turned into 5 Golden Bears at the cost of 5 Golden Bears. Not transferable between game modes.

Golden Bears = Premium currency. Store bought using forum account and account holder must be at concierge level or above, can be used to buy "Premium gametime" where you double the amount of UEC credits earned. $1 per bear, 10 bears buys a day of premium gametime, wallet is wiped daily at a random and ever changing time to prevent server database smeg. Not transferable between game modes.

Research tokens = Earn 100 per round, good for gently caress all since no one shilling for SC ever does any.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
The whole thing now is a marketing machine.

The new ToW mode is just to get streamers into the picture cause SC's original gameplay loop doesn't suit streaming. Imagine watching a Civ6 multiplayer stream.

GAMEPLAY, 24/7 will bring in the views.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

:laugh:

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Sidewinder is still purpose-wise combat ship and it shows: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/cabk0m/unengineered_sidewinder_vs_thargoid_cyclops/

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
oh god i realised i just downloaded the game onto my main hard drive oh god oh gently caress

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

The whole thing now is a marketing machine.

The new ToW mode is just to get streamers into the picture cause SC's original gameplay loop doesn't suit streaming. Imagine watching a Civ6 multiplayer stream.

GAMEPLAY, 24/7 will bring in the views.

It's pretty clearly a direct response to Rexzilla's mild success at streaming SC. It's a colossal amount of work for Rexzilla and ZDF to coordinate in SC as it is so they built this mode to better facilitate their "missions" and hopefully get some kind of audience for SC cause as it stands no one gives a crap about this game anymore.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

just you wait until they rerelease the kraken

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.
Did Chris drop over to the neighboring Dentist-con? We could see some really exciting teeth-related gameplay over the next year.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Beet Wagon posted:

It's actually a fair bit worse than even the fact that both ships look like poo poo, although the new Mustang actually looks decent in my opinion:

Looks like a GTF Aurora.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Popete posted:

It's pretty clearly a direct response to Rexzilla's mild success at streaming SC. It's a colossal amount of work for Rexzilla and ZDF to coordinate in SC as it is so they built this mode to better facilitate their "missions" and hopefully get some kind of audience for SC cause as it stands no one gives a crap about this game anymore.

Whats interesting is how this will flow into revenue generated per view. We need data.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

There's not one mention of any sales on reddit and you have to go like 4 pages deep on their site to figure out that this is the start of their anniversary sales. Where the gently caress did a million dollars materialize from?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sarsapariller posted:

There's not one mention of any sales on reddit and you have to go like 4 pages deep on their site to figure out that this is the start of their anniversary sales. Where the gently caress did a million dollars materialize from?

Put 1M aside from Calder money, add it to tracker. EZ.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Exinos posted:

The problem with wanting Sandi to play the bad cop role is she can't play any role convincingly.

she can actually play a cruel, spiteful boss really well.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

WHERE IS RON’S QUADS ‘57?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Sarsapariller posted:

:laffo:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

The backers do not need any mention about sales starting or whatnot. They have an alarm set up for the 24th of November of each year that goes "buy buy BUY BUY NOW LTI NOW!". The game is buying ships, they know about the sales.

Guys at reddit have been theorycrafting their purchases at the anniversary sale for months now. They are the perfect suckers and the reason this thing will go on forever unless an external force intervenes.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

trucutru posted:

The backers do not need any mention about sales starting or whatnot. They have an alarm set up for the 24th of November of each year that goes "buy buy BUY BUY NOW LTI NOW!". The game is buying ships, they know about the sales.

Guys at reddit have been theorycrafting their purchases at the anniversary sale for months now. They are the perfect suckers and the reason this thing will go on forever unless an external force intervenes.

https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1198416462102384641

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Buy, buy, buy! It's a sure thing, Jerry!