Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

baka kaba posted:

I think what's confusing is you said "the middle left of the three string patterns is the top left of the other one" when you meant the middle right! That's cool though, I know the intervals but I don't think I've ever thought about the patterns as those lil shapes around the roots before. Always good to have another mental tool for messing around eh

Confession: I have been an adult for far too long and I still don’t know my left from my right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Lumpy posted:

Confession: I have been an adult for far too long and I still don’t know my left from my right.

Question, are you left handed?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Turbinosamente posted:

Question, are you left handed?

No, just stupid.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Lumpy posted:

No, just stupid.

drat I thought I was on to something. Totally anecdotal but according to a neurologist friend, apparently left handed people have trouble telling right from left. I'm left handed and every time I have think really hard about it, and still screw it up once in a while.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

drat I thought I was on to something. Totally anecdotal but according to a neurologist friend, apparently left handed people have trouble telling right from left. I'm left handed and every time I have think really hard about it, and still screw it up once in a while.

Left-handed and that’s been a problem all my life. I’ve never messed up a handshake, it’s just whenever someone’s telling me “Look to your left/right.”

On another topic, anybody here ever wired up a dry circuit a la Yamaha’s Revstar? It seems pretty straightforward, and like it might be a good way to trick out my StingRay. Any good source for the parts on the web?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

nitsuga posted:

Left-handed and that’s been a problem all my life. I’ve never messed up a handshake, it’s just whenever someone’s telling me “Look to your left/right.”

Totally! It's usually whenever I get told to go to the left or right for something, doesn't matter whether its driving or looking for something or what have you.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I just got the Audio Assault black Friday bundle ($49 down from $749 or some similarly ludicrous figure). Some very neat stuff in there and the stuff I will use outweighs the stuff I won't. The drum kits are probably OK with some fitnessing but can't see them replacing SSD5 any time soon.

So far the Aural Verb reverb and Head Crusher saturator are my standouts, the latter especially brings guitars to life. The amp sims have some very usable tones as far as metal goes although for some reason, like JST Jason Richardson, they refuse to load the Ola Englund IR so I'm using NadIR for that. The included ones are decent though and the cab sims are certainly on a par if not better than JST ones.

And there's a Metal Zone and who doesn't love them?!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
drat that sounds nice

Speaking of black Friday deals, is there a good site for musician specific deals? Pretty much every vst I use was purchased via black Friday deals and I wouldnt mind expanding my library

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I saw it through a FB ad, here's a direct link to the site/deal to avoid giving Zuck bucks.

https://audioassault.mx/blackfriday.php

There's vids on YouTube for most of the amps, Jared Dines has a brief one on Dominator (my current favourite of the bunch, though I've only had them a couple hours so no real deep dives for tonez) where he's playing properly on a normal guitar without a crazy wig or whatever

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I'm trying to fix my form and not rotate my fretting wrist as much, are there any good exercises for this or do I just need to work with my existing repertoire. I'm having trouble moving out of barres quickly/accurately

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

AverySpecialfriend posted:

I'm trying to fix my form and not rotate my fretting wrist as much, are there any good exercises for this or do I just need to work with my existing repertoire. I'm having trouble moving out of barres quickly/accurately

Could you maybe post a picture? If your fretting wrist isn't straight (and it should absolutely be straight because if it's not you're headed for carpal tunnel) then I would presume that you need to angle the neck upwards more or raise the height of the guitar on a strap (or if you're sitting down, get a foot rest for your left foot and play in classical position).

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

NonzeroCircle posted:

I saw it through a FB ad, here's a direct link to the site/deal to avoid giving Zuck bucks.

There's vids on YouTube for most of the amps, Jared Dines has a brief one on Dominator (my current favourite of the bunch, though I've only had them a couple hours so no real deep dives for tonez) where he's playing properly on a normal guitar without a crazy wig or whatever

Thanks for the link. I’m just using free stuff right now (LeCab, Lecto, free ownhammer ir’s) and have been looking for some other options. I played through my real amp yesterday for the first time in a month and had forgotten how much better the amp tone is.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ok, I think I have everything but vocals done so far on this little demo EP. It's only 3 tracks, should I make another track or do you guys think this is long enough? I'm also writing vocals now and have some ideas. Still in the rough stages but I think guitar/bass/drums are locked in

https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/sets/demo-ep-no-vocals

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

IMO in this day and age EPs should be short. Regular releases are better than longer content. Especially if you’re just adding more because you feel like it “should” be longer.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Yeah that's the idea, it's 3 songs totalling about 10 minutes. And I know that no one nowadays has the attention span to listen to more than that.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Super niche question:

Does anyone know of an accurate tab for Yngwie Malmsteen's Trilogy Suite? I have the main riffs down but I'm completely lost on the intro thingy that's in 9/5 and every tab I've found seems wrong.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I've got a PDF of the official tab book but it just has the intro in free time and all the tabs you've seen are probably copied from it anyway.

edit:

Slightly different from what's on songsterr and the fingering in the last phrase seems to make a bit more sense, so maybe it'll help.

BDA fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 24, 2019

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Anime Reference posted:

I've got a PDF of the official tab book but it just has the intro in free time and all the tabs you've seen are probably copied from it anyway.

edit:

Slightly different from what's on songsterr and the fingering in the last phrase seems to make a bit more sense, so maybe it'll help.

Actually this helps a ton. The highest rated gpro tabs I could find on ultimate guitar had the notes right, but they notated the rhythm as 16th note triplets at 140bpm with interspersed 32nd notes to make it fit which seemed super weird to me. I listened to it slowed down and it seemed to me that the rhythm was way more even than it was being notated. Also this looks like it has the Yngwie pick-gato thing notated more or less right which is nice. Thanks!

For comparison (I meant to say it was in 9/4):

That just seemed like it had to be wrong. Is that rest of that book solid too? Might pick it up.

Edit: I spent two weeks trying to learn the bad tab before it dawned on me that, though I'm nowhere as good as Yngwie, it just couldn't be that unplayable. -_-

Gnumonic fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 24, 2019

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I haven't tried playing any of it since it's way above my skill level but as far as I can tell it looks good aside from a few old-timey quirks like not having chord frames. Also seems to be reasonably priced on ebay, usually these out-of-print tab books are crazy expensive.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Actually I'm definitely gonna buy that because of the 8 va. I hate it when a tab book does octave-correct notation. My reading skills suck so I'll learn from tabs but it's so much easier if I don't have to play ledger line bingo for analyzing music. I would pay an ungodly amount of money for a transcription of some Bach and Beethoven pieces where all the parts were treble clef and 8 va...

For whatever it's worth I used to think Yngwie songs were completely impossible but if your left hand technique is pretty solid you can learn his picking thing in a few months of daily practice. Troy Grady's youtube series sort of covers it but this book is (in my opinion at least) a lot better than the cracking the code stuff if you just wanna Yngwie. Once I had the general logic of how the pickslanting/pull off stuff worked I'd just do a few random exercises from that book every day and now some Yngwie poo poo isn't that intimidating, though unless someone was paying me I don't think I'd have the patience to learn a whole song of his. And some of the live solos from the 80s are terrifyingly inhuman. Shame he got fat and (comparatively) bad but hey it gives me a reason to listen to Joe Stump and GALNERYUS.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gnumonic posted:

Actually I'm definitely gonna buy that because of the 8 va. I hate it when a tab book does octave-correct notation. My reading skills suck so I'll learn from tabs but it's so much easier if I don't have to play ledger line bingo for analyzing music. I would pay an ungodly amount of money for a transcription of some Bach and Beethoven pieces where all the parts were treble clef and 8 va...

For whatever it's worth I used to think Yngwie songs were completely impossible but if your left hand technique is pretty solid you can learn his picking thing in a few months of daily practice. Troy Grady's youtube series sort of covers it but this book is (in my opinion at least) a lot better than the cracking the code stuff if you just wanna Yngwie. Once I had the general logic of how the pickslanting/pull off stuff worked I'd just do a few random exercises from that book every day and now some Yngwie poo poo isn't that intimidating, though unless someone was paying me I don't think I'd have the patience to learn a whole song of his. And some of the live solos from the 80s are terrifyingly inhuman. Shame he got fat and (comparatively) bad but hey it gives me a reason to listen to Joe Stump and GALNERYUS.

I have to say one thing a lot of people seem to miss when they trash Yngwie is that his playing was insanely clear back in the day. While blowing out 20 notes a second he was making sure every one was clear and precise. Sure a compressor pedal helps but you can’t hide behind a Strat, it shows all. The guy had/has unreal touch and while many people would argue this, a fantastic ear for technique and melody. I miss old school Yngwie before he started doing whatever loving ferrari blues shred he’s doing now. Unfortunately the meme side of him is so strong now that he’ll likely be considered an outdated Speed guy vs the genuinely interesting player he is.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I have to say one thing a lot of people seem to miss when they trash Yngwie is that his playing was insanely clear back in the day. While blowing out 20 notes a second he was making sure every one was clear and precise. Sure a compressor pedal helps but you can’t hide behind a Strat, it shows all. The guy had/has unreal touch and while many people would argue this, a fantastic ear for technique and melody. I miss old school Yngwie before he started doing whatever loving ferrari blues shred he’s doing now. Unfortunately the meme side of him is so strong now that he’ll likely be considered an outdated Speed guy vs the genuinely interesting player he is.

You've got a point. I can't play a Strat without constantly tapping on the middle pickup with my pick. Crazy that he did all that on .8s tuned half a step flat with a scalloped fretboard.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

nitsuga posted:

You've got a point. I can't play a Strat without constantly tapping on the middle pickup with my pick. Crazy that he did all that on .8s tuned half a step flat with a scalloped fretboard.

When I started playing the most natural place to pick was right over the middle pickup, and instead of doing something intelligent like repositioning my hand or lowering the thing, I just learned how to play by holding a pick such that only 2-3mm of the pick goes past my fingers. Sorta worked out for shredding since that's not bad technique wise but it took me a while to be able to play chords well.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Oh yeah for sure. I mean I can play some of his stuff but nowhere near as clearly as he can. Which isn't to say I'm just halfassing it or anything, I think I can play reasonably clearly, but 80s Yngwie was on another level. I didn't realize it at the time but he also worked classical music quotations into a ton of his old live stuff in a really interesting way. You can tell he was actually thinking back then. He can still do the harmonic minor runs and the sweep picking stuff these days, but it feels forced and hackneyed and in the 21st century Joe Stump is honestly better at it both technically and musically. (Also Yngwie's a dick and Joe's a really nice dude.)

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It really bums me out to see recent-ish live vids of "Far Beyond The Sun" because the original had an interesting mix of ensemble figures and solo sections like a hair metal concerto grosso, and now he skips all that and just shreds all over it.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
I keep having so much fun with this dipshit guitar:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/rogue-rocketeer-rr50-7-8-scale-electric-guitar/h64297000004000

I had to get another one:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/mitchell-ms100-short-scale-electric-guitar/l25688000001000

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

NonzeroCircle posted:

Thanks for this, btw! Just picked them up because I could not afford not to. Plus messing with plugins is less anxiety inducing than recording music.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The legends were true! After three weeks of throwing myself at the F-chord daily, I can do it with a little palm strain and light buzzing.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

The legends were true! After three weeks of throwing myself at the F-chord daily, I can do it with a little palm strain and light buzzing.

nice

did using the capo help at all?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

SelenicMartian posted:

In three months you will wonder if the memories of it being difficult are even real.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Lumpy posted:

In three months you will wonder if the memories of it being difficult are even real.

This is like 80% of the fun of guitar for me. That feeling when something that seemed impossible at first gets easy is immensely satisfying. That motivates me more than any actual music I end up recording or playing.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Gnumonic posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, I feel like I'm learning a lot already just from the first few pages.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A coworker is moving and I found out she’s been wanting to get back into learning guitar because she just brought in a loving BC Rich Warlock she got for free from a tattoo artist. I’m giving her my old practice amp tomorrow.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Anime Reference posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, I feel like I'm learning a lot already just from the first few pages.

Yay, I'm glad someone else finds it helpful. The fun thing is that, since it's 100% geared towards Yngwie's technique, you'll be able to pick up a bunch of his licks/riffs pretty much instantly after you get through the exercises in the book. I'm a natural...uh I forget which way is upward slanting and which way is downward but I tend to point the tip of my pick slightly towards the floor, which is the opposite of how you're supposed to play Yngwie poo poo, so it was pretty hard for me to pick up at first. Still prefer alternate picking for the most part but the Yngwie thing unlocks a level of speed that isn't really possible with pure alternate picking.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

so i lowered the action on my guitar and theres a slight buzz on the 14th fret on all strings unless i play really softly. is this an adjust the truss rod situation? it didnt buzz when the strings were higher up before.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

ASenileAnimal posted:

so i lowered the action on my guitar and theres a slight buzz on the 14th fret on all strings unless i play really softly. is this an adjust the truss rod situation? it didnt buzz when the strings were higher up before.

I'm not sure how much you're going to net anything with relief adjustments since it's so high up on the fretboard. The problem is you might have to add so much relief, you'd have action higher than you did before the action adjustments.

At any rate, I'd suggest making sure the relief is properly set, then making adjustments to the action (in this case probably raising it back up a bit). Here's a guide that explains this a whole lot more thoroughly: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/guitar-setup-part-1-adjusting-the-truss-rod-2/

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

nitsuga posted:

I'm not sure how much you're going to net anything with relief adjustments since it's so high up on the fretboard. The problem is you might have to add so much relief, you'd have action higher than you did before the action adjustments.

At any rate, I'd suggest making sure the relief is properly set, then making adjustments to the action (in this case probably raising it back up a bit). Here's a guide that explains this a whole lot more thoroughly: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/guitar-setup-part-1-adjusting-the-truss-rod-2/

ah, looks like i set it too low and shouldnt touch the truss rod. neck is straight so ill raise the saddles a bit.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
If its just the 14th that is rattling and raising the action stops it but also leaves it very high then it could need fret-levelling. Is it a cheap or old guitar? I wouldn't expect to find it needed doing on an expensive one but it's a basic way to improve most low to mid-priced stuff - albeit not one which most people own the kit for.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Helianthus Annuus posted:

did using the capo help at all?
Used it once to hear what it should sound like.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

darkwasthenight posted:

If its just the 14th that is rattling and raising the action stops it but also leaves it very high then it could need fret-levelling. Is it a cheap or old guitar? I wouldn't expect to find it needed doing on an expensive one but it's a basic way to improve most low to mid-priced stuff - albeit not one which most people own the kit for.

its pretty playable and comfy enough when i raise it to where it doesnt buzz. while i do enjoy how it feels with lower action im hesitant to take it into a shop. is fret leveling expensive? i payed 80 bucks for the guitar and i feel like any tech would lmao if i brought this in to have work done on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
ooh what is it