Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wish we talked more about the anime. For instance, what was changed compared to the game 'ere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Honestly I'm kinda underwhelmed by it.

Like, Babylonia is definitely pretty great story, but even as a big FGO fan, I can recognize that it has a lot of faults that stem from it being a story in gacha mobile game and that it needs a bit of tinkering to flow well in another medium, but the anime didn't really bother to substantially change anything? To say nothing about about the fact that Babylonia is kinda almost at the end of FGO Part 1 story, so when presenting it to audience that didn't play FGO, ideally there should be some sort of extensive recap to ease new people into the universe, so they can at least vaguely understand what is happening and once again, the anime barely bothers with that. There are a lot of people who consider it trash and I really can't fault them, because if someone is not a FGO fan or easily entertained by eye candy, I have hard time coming up with reason why he or she should watch the anime right now. :shrug:

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Hm, Shimousa is kind of unfun to play now that I'm getting to it but at least the writing is good enough to make up for that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah Babylonia definitely feels like its for people who are already FGO fans first and foremost.

I’m sure it doesn’t help that some people were probably expecting Gilgamesh Backstory: The Anime and don’t get why we’re following MC and Mash and their battle against giant snake woman instead.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like fgo but i'm only watching the anime to see when they animate cool stuff. it's mostly a drag

granted i also think babylonia is kind of a bloated mess to play so maybe this pretty dry 1:1 adapation isn't helping

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

A Bystander posted:

Hm, Shimousa is kind of unfun to play now that I'm getting to it but at least the writing is good enough to make up for that.
I'm the opposite of that. I found the story to be staggeringly dull* with the combat being superfun. Especially those duel introductions.

*exceptions being Katarou and Danzo's story and Yagyu's motivations, which were great.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The Babylonia anime is absolutely a passion project for Nasu and the other type moon folks who wanted to see their stuff animated on an absurd budget. The fact other people can watch it too is just a small bonus.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Roger Explosion posted:

I'm the opposite of that. I found the story to be staggeringly dull* with the combat being superfun. Especially those duel introductions.

*exceptions being Katarou and Danzo's story and Yagyu's motivations, which were great.

It's more the bosses with annoying gimmicks and large amounts of HP and being made to drag Musashi along in some fights when I would really prefer to have someone's busted servant because I'm not the kind of guy who has the luck to have that kind of power in my arsenal and using seals is a band-aid on that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Re: Babylonia I just don't think they've gone the extra mile needed to inject even an iota of a personality needed to make Ritsuka work as-is. Like you don't need to go full Riyo Gudako or anything obviously but surely there was a middle ground that could have been utilized to let them play off of the cast more.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i also gotta say as cool as the animation was this past ep it then immediately falls into both of them having nuked themselves with little outcome

did it bug me when i played the game version? idk but i did just shotgun the whole thing. in the breathing room of an anime adaptation i'm like "hmm, why tho"

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The anime sucks because it doesn't have Your Waver, Your Friend's Waver and [insert DPS of choice] in the battle at all times, so I really don't feel like I'm getting the authentic experience, you know?

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

dogsicle posted:

i also gotta say as cool as the animation was this past ep it then immediately falls into both of them having nuked themselves with little outcome

did it bug me when i played the game version? idk but i did just shotgun the whole thing. in the breathing room of an anime adaptation i'm like "hmm, why tho"

Yeah. But it looked cool and I'm cheering for Gorgon anyway. Snakeularity 7, double snake

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

extremely excited for quetz next week

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

other than that i hate gudao with every fiber of my being and the adaptation is only held together by everyone except him and mash

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I dunno I thought Gudao aquired more personality along the way than the cardboard cutout he started as in the prologue film. I also think he's better than Sieg. I kinda like him better than Shirou actually.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Gudao is inherently bad because Gudako is the only canon protagonist.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Mash has done nothing to deserve this slander, she's the Goodest Girl.

EDIT: OR SHOULD I SAY THE GUDA-EST GIRL OHOHOHO

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
We had this conversation about Gudao and Gudako, it's pretty drat lame

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Ushiwaka earned an animation update this week

Leonidas... maybe just an NP animation update.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Like, Babylonia is definitely pretty great story, but even as a big FGO fan, I can recognize that it has a lot of faults that stem from it being a story in gacha mobile game and that it needs a bit of tinkering to flow well in another medium, but the anime didn't really bother to substantially change anything?

I agree that Babylonia's story is good for a gacha game but it still had flaws, such as having a blank self-insert protagonist and a rather meandering storyline. I disliked that it had the bland MC assembling a goddess harem. Quetzalcoatl for example fell in love at first sight with Ritsuka for no apparent reason. There was also the fact that some characters survived until the very end in a way that strained credulity, presumably in order to show them off more so as to get people to want to roll for them. The most obvious case is a version of Gorgon showing up in the climax out of nowhere to perform a heroic sacrifice. One could argue that it was done to show that Ana came to like humanity thanks to people being nice to her, but she already did that when she confronted Gorgon.

Grouchio posted:

I dunno I thought Gudao aquired more personality along the way than the cardboard cutout he started as in the prologue film. I also think he's better than Sieg. I kinda like him better than Shirou actually.

How would you describe Gudao's current personality?

I liked Shirou a lot more than Ritsuka, Hakuno or Sieg. Shirou had some flaws, such as Nasu's hamfisted attempt to get the player to see Saber as a woman by having Shirou keep saying "Saber you're a girl and girls can't fight" in the Fate route. However Shirou had a distinct personality and had goals and motivations of his own beyond winning the grail war. Plus Shirou had an extensive backstory that was rooted into the events taking place in FSN and his personality developed over the course of each route. And I found the subversion of having Shirou act like you'd expect a standard shonen hero to, but then revealing that his suicidal selflessness was caused by massive psychological trauma and showing him struggling with these issues to be an interesting idea.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Compendium posted:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm waiting for the anime to be added to Netflix, like all othe Fate anime.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Gologle posted:

The anime sucks because it doesn't have Your Waver, Your Friend's Waver and [insert DPS of choice] in the battle at all times, so I really don't feel like I'm getting the authentic experience, you know?

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
The problem with Babylonia anime isn't that gudao is inherently less interesting than gudako (though that is A problem, it's not one that couldn't be overcome with good writing) but that he's the least interesting interpretation of the character possible. Dudes just very lifeless and passive, like, to the point where he and Mash occupy such similar spots in the writing in a lot of scenes, and it just sort of sucks the life out of their side of things (and in a way that's going to get even worse when the goddesses all start falling instantly in love with him.) It just kind of makes the non-servant scenes kind of lame, but hey, if all Babylonia gives us is a bunch of cool fights to watch on youtube independent of anything then it's better than nothing, and extremely better than first order lmao.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
anime is weird because if i recall babylonia correctly its mostly just marie riding horses everywhere and then i suplex my big sister

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Compendium posted:

i agree, gudao is lame

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

Clawtopsy posted:

anime is weird because if i recall babylonia correctly its mostly just marie riding horses everywhere and then i suplex my big sister

I already made this joke Clawtopsy, you can't just come in here and ride a crystal horse all over it!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Did they at least have The Last of the Mohicans joke?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I finished up the final singularity. It was a perfect, lovely ending to it all.

Me and Mash holding hands :3:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Either way I don't let Gudao's blandness bother me; so far Babylonia has kicked rear end, and I continue to expect it to.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I did like the hilarity of them having that beautifully animated sequence of Ushi fighting her way straight up to Gorgon's mouth and then we cut to seeing Gudao and Mash just standing there staring at her with arms at their sides and mouth open.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It's a good depiction of us, the player standing there and pressing the touch screen

In all seriousness, I do agree with the criticism of how dumb it looked when Ritsuka and Mash just stood there, eyes wide open in the latest episode, I'm more iffy on whenever people complain about the usage of Gudao as opposed to Gudako as if she's got more characterization than him which I feel that for better or for worse, is a view colored by Riyo Gudako (sometimes). Hell, I definitely prefer Gudako over Gudao because I want a female Master as a definitive main character of a Fate property. I've mentioned that there is a subtle difference in their dialogue, but it doesn't change much. No matter which avatar you use in-game, they're mostly blank-slates with us choosing the dialogue boxes for them. Could they have done more with anime Ritsuka considering he's in the final Singularity and he's had nearly a year's worth of time-hopping? Sure, but I'm sure the anime was made to animate the cool scenes of Servants duking poo poo out with each other, not necessarily to expand on a bland insert MC (which I acknowledge is a weakness, but c'mon, he's no Shirou Emiya in terms of angst factor and isn't supposed to be).

But if you like Gudako for other reasons, like her being cuter than sure, I'm down with that.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 25, 2019

Liffrea
Jun 16, 2013

Your gacha-bragging struck a nerve and accidentally set off my self-defense instincts. Sorry about that.
Finally finished Shinjuku after sitting at the last battle for a couple of months.

Da Vinci: "The meteor is going to hit the earth in five minutes!"

A poo poo Ton of People: "Allow us to interrupt! We'll take this opportunity to go through everyone's individual introductions, summon a bunch of fiction's best detectives (who will also talk) and squeeze in another boss battle with Moriarty and the manifestation of all of fiction's great villains, all in four minutes!"

Does anyone know who the Strait-laced Man and the Shaggy-Haired Man from the group of detectives are? The priest is obviously Father Brown and the String-Fiddling Man is Baroness Orczy's Old Man in the Corner: I think one (probably the Strait-laced Man) might be R. Austin Freeman's Dr. Thorndyke, but no clue on the other.

Glad to see Jalter got her dance at the end. :3: And they should have taken Cavall II back to Chaldea with them. If they have stables for the horses, they can take care of a dog. :colbert:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Compendium posted:

In all seriousness, I do agree with the criticism of how dumb it looked when Ritsuka and Mash just stood there, eyes wide open in the latest episode, I'm more iffy on whenever people complain about the usage of Gudao as opposed to Gudako as if she's got more characterization than him which I feel that for better or for worse, is a view colored by Riyo Gudako (sometimes). Hell, I definitely prefer Gudako over Gudao because I want a female Master as a definitive main character of a Fate property.

i mean i'd be eating this poo poo up if it was written just as blandly because of the halfway romantic scenes, being two girls would already be a massive improvement over bog-standard haha here's a boy and girl awkwardly fumbling with each other, compelling!

also i hate riyo at this point so

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

also gudako blushing at ushi's titties

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Gologle posted:

I already made this joke Clawtopsy, you can't just come in here and ride a crystal horse all over it!

get france'd on B WORD

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The problem with gudao as portrayed in most appearances is that I cannot for the life of me believe this is a character who would try to do a flying bodyslam on a goddess from 200m high

The character is not a blank slate, they're loving nuts, but because adaptation writers in Japan are historically hamstrung by an inability to, or barred from, interpolating character behavior to fill dead spaces in the narrative to flesh them out, we get a main character who does nothing for most of the time because the original game didn't have guda actually participate in anything outside of flavor prompts

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 25, 2019

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Liffrea posted:

Finally finished Shinjuku after sitting at the last battle for a couple of months.

Does anyone know who the Strait-laced Man and the Shaggy-Haired Man from the group of detectives are? The priest is obviously Father Brown and the String-Fiddling Man is Baroness Orczy's Old Man in the Corner: I think one (probably the Strait-laced Man) might be R. Austin Freeman's Dr. Thorndyke, but no clue on the other.

People smarter than me peg them as [spoiler]R. Austin Freeman's Dr. Thorndyke and Jacques Futrelle's Professor Augustus S. F. X. Van Dusen respectively

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Also forgot to mention, I somehow got a Skadi during the last JP banner for download milestones. No, I did not whale, I haven't spent money since last year. Go, go, fight the gacha powah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Yeah, I'll freely admit a lot of the charm of any mc is in interpretation and I WOULD be happier with just the bare minimum same crappy writing but it's a tiny lesbian doing it instead (and yeah I fuckin hate the Riyo style ultra-predatory poo poo). The point is more that that space for interpretation exists and writing the dullest boy alive who spends every fight dramatically hiding behind Mash's shield and having every plot beat and relationship just Happen to him as a result is a deliberate and kind of lovely Choice than saying it is confirmed unfaithful to the text and a betrayal of the writing or whatever.