Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Is anyone else missing Chapter 3 Entry 2 in the main Quest databank? I never got that one and I'm well into Chapter 5 at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

finished the game yesterday

random observations:

- the atmosphere (for me anyway) successfully evoked the vibe of Star Wars (e.g., adventuring across the galaxy, possibly with some confusion and initial reticence giving way to confidence and bonding with others under difficult circumstances, combined with the mix of force and sci-fi elements)

- the story was relatively solid, especially with the elements added later in the game. personally i think maybe it’d have been somewhat stronger with some of those elements closer to the beginning, because it made the characters seem more three dimensional and the choices and personalities less black and white closer to the outset. the emotional payoff wasn’t as strong as in some other games (e.g., rdr2)

- the combat may not have been as tight and flawless as sekiro, but i had fun with it and there was at least a reasonable amount of play style selection (e.g., you could tend to emphasize survival or force skills), though near the end i had most of the skill tree filled out. to the extent it was easier than sekiro i was grateful because, while i love sekiro, my sekiro skills are rubbish

- as others have observed, a lot of it was reminiscent of tomb raider. which with the force actually seemed to make sense, though I guess puzzles could have been omitted. fine from my perspective

- another, probably unfair, comparison that came to mind was Witcher 2: it would have been interesting to have two playthroughs, maybe with one being a dark side path.

- overall i had a lot of fun binging though this and would recommend it, though i wouldn’t call it a masterpiece. i’ve never played kotor and it got me thinking about that, though I don’t know whether that one has aged well

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
I beat the game yesterday... I liked it a lot. It felt like a type of game I have not played in a long time, it wasn't a great game overall but it wasn't a terrible game. Even the more tedious bits were not as tedious as other more beloved games. It was a game I could definitely see myself getting nostalgia for. My only real complaint is that the costume aesthetic for Cal seemed to be San Francisco homeless. Would have been nice if we had totally different looks especially given that we see dark side Cal and he looked badass.

I was glad for the linear story.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

dazoner posted:

dark side Cal and he looked badass.

everyone would go DS for the better glams

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

God I wish that sequence ended witha boss fight against Inquisitor Cal. Also, using the lightsaber igniting mechanic to reveal darkside Cal was really really good.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

hobbesmaster posted:

everyone would go DS for the better glams

They got me good with that one.

Everything goes dark, game tells me "hold LB to use your lightsaber as a flashlight"

OMG IT'S RED!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tarezax posted:

They got me good with that one.

Everything goes dark, game tells me "hold LB to use your lightsaber as a flashlight"

OMG IT'S RED!

I started cackling with glee.

Just finished, missing two scans in the last area :argh:. The game did a good job of picking a theme (a bunch of people coming to terms with past trauma) and running with it. I would have happily enjoyed this as one of the off-season side movies in the series (though I liked both Rogue One and Solo so my tastes are apparently suspect.)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Biplane posted:

I have 4 stims :buddy:

I have 7 and I haven't been to Dathomir, nor have I returned to Zeppo. I was gonna say that I haven't even been exploring that much but obviously I have if I have 7 stims lol.

Game is absolutely fantastic, in my top 5 of the year easy. Better than Outer Worlds, which is something I definitely didn't envision myself saying.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Bruceski posted:

I started cackling with glee.

Just finished, missing two scans in the last area :argh:. The game did a good job of picking a theme (a bunch of people coming to terms with past trauma) and running with it. I would have happily enjoyed this as one of the off-season side movies in the series (though I liked both Rogue One and Solo so my tastes are apparently suspect.)

Rogue One is a pretty good war movie; I like it more than the other new ones. I don't think that's out of the ordinary. I think Fallen Order is smart keeping the plot simple but fairly crisp.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

its funny lately that all the non main movie star wars things are great/feel super star wars to me, while the new sequels have just fallen super flat. Mandalorian feels 100% more star wars the TFA/TLJ. this game included.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Mandalorian is super fun.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Star Wars Mouth Feel.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

I also think that the latest Star Wars stuff turning Vader into some unstoppable dervish of destruction that can tear anything in his way literally apart continues to feel off but you do need that wall running in the final section I suppose. Nothing will ever be as bad as pulling a star destroyer out of the sky.

Ending spoiler I think Vader serves an important role at the end of the game as establishing exactly how powerful you actually are. You're tearing up all these inquisitors but guess what, they were just half trained Padawans like yourself.

Well, I guess I forgot about crazy former Jedi on Dathomir with that but hes clearly not in control so lets go with that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JBP posted:

The Mandalorian is super fun.

Rogue One and Mandalorian are better than the two mainline movies lmao

(I like TFA and TLJ but they're nowhere near as good)

Edit: I'm assuming that I'll somehow eventually be able to fight this dragon? Question mark?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hobbesmaster posted:

Ending spoiler I think Vader serves an important role at the end of the game as establishing exactly how powerful you actually are. You're tearing up all these inquisitors but guess what, they were just half trained Padawans like yourself.

Well, I guess I forgot about crazy former Jedi on Dathomir with that but hes clearly not in control so lets go with that.

You're at full on Jedi Knight level by then, beating him just demonstrated it is my take. Then Vader demonstrates that you're a punk still.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

queeb posted:

its funny lately that all the non main movie star wars things are great/feel super star wars to me, while the new sequels have just fallen super flat. Mandalorian feels 100% more star wars the TFA/TLJ. this game included.

The main series movies have a very high bar to pass. The side stuff you've got a war movie, a heist/western, a full-on western, genre stories being told in a Star Wars universe. For the main movies their genre IS Star Wars and it's not easy to figure out how to make those without just aping what came before. It needs to be big and new but also familiar. The side stuff can be small and personal, but the main movies want to put everything on a galactic scale. That's not easy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I doubt it'll happen but it would be great if the movies explored "magick". Kinda wild that a major point of lore - that there was a group of Force users that weren't Jedi or Sith that used a totally different form of the Force - was put in a side project.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Beat the game tonight, very much enjoyed it but would have liked a fast travel. The last boss on Dathomir was easily the highlight for me. Did not enjoy the final boss at all, though the immediate aftermath was great.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh Snapple! posted:

Did not enjoy the final boss at all

:yikes:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I thought the final boss was bad because it was super buggy lightsaber throw would freeze her 50% of the time, guaranteed to get stuck if standing by a console and the gimmicky blind grenade was poo poo

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

JBP posted:

I thought the final boss was bad because it was super buggy lightsaber throw would freeze her 50% of the time, guaranteed to get stuck if standing by a console and the gimmicky blind grenade was poo poo

I assumed they meant the part after that, but also had no buggy troubles during that fight :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
But can we PLEASE stop putting enemies in games that leave acid pools when they die? It has literally never been good game design. Not even once.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

I assumed they meant the part after that, but also had no buggy troubles during that fight :shrug:

The part after that fight is what I meant by aftermath :v:

Just really did not enjoy the Second Sister fight that preceded it at all. But that last bit really saved the game for me in terms of ending it on an enjoyable bit.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

precision posted:

But can we PLEASE stop putting enemies in games that leave acid pools when they die? It has literally never been good game design. Not even once.

Well, except for that one time.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

precision posted:

I doubt it'll happen but it would be great if the movies explored "magick". Kinda wild that a major point of lore - that there was a group of Force users that weren't Jedi or Sith that used a totally different form of the Force - was put in a side project.

Not movies and definitely not canon anymore but the "Magick" was covered extensively in EU (lol) books if I remember correctly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm further into Dathomir and oh I get it now lol

A sinister, highly religious and matriarchal society that fights alongside spiders and lives underground

Very subtle, respawn :v:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Listen if you think they’re drow that’s propesterous, can’t you see Merrin is white??

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
To be fair, I haven't seen one dual wielding

yet

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
By the way I'd also like to call out (final force vision scene) the use of a climbing wall to make it look like Cal is crawling through a trench in the vision, that was pretty cool

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Tarezax posted:

By the way I'd also like to call out (final force vision scene) the use of a climbing wall to make it look like Cal is crawling through a trench in the vision, that was pretty cool

The visions in general were really done well in my opinion. I was downright startled at the beginning of the game following my buddy and then suddenly turning around to see a ship corridor. While I echo the need for quality of life adjustments like fast travel and more troops vs. animal enemies (and they really need better path marking or maybe at least a button to hold down for directions or even "you can go here" highlighting), it's been pretty fun. Though if this is a Dark Souls-like as according to some people, I think I never managed to "git gud" so much as get adequate; thank God I've gotten plenty of stims exploring.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

His impact on the story is to show why Cal’s decision at the end is the right choice.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Anti-Hero posted:

So did you have to go into Origin for the patching?

Do cheevos unlock on Origin?

I did.

And I just had to re-pair my accounts for no reason but that just required logging back in.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dang. I'm really struggling against the Second Sister fight at Inquisitor HQ. I'm on Jedi Master with 5 stims and I feel like if I knew more than 3 stims were a thing you could collect sooner by exploring I probably would have spent more time searching for them on other planets instead of rushing out here on some drat fool idealistic crusade.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

Dang. I'm really struggling against the Second Sister fight at Inquisitor HQ. I'm on Jedi Master with 5 stims and I feel like if I knew more than 3 stims were a thing you could collect sooner by exploring I probably would have spent more time searching for them on other planets instead of rushing out here on some drat fool idealistic crusade.

I did it with 6 on Grandmaster. You're just going to be really good at the fight and feel good :)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I had 10 stims and used them all +95% of my final health bar.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
I found 9 out of 10. The last one was devilishly hidden and I ran around the general vicinity for over an hour before checking a guide.

For the boss fight you can afford to play very defensively and punish the recovery from unblockable moves. It's common to get hit if you both go for an attack at the same time, so you should either wait for a move to finish or stagger with a push before you go in. It's not a long fight if you can land the split saber attack a few times.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I assumed that six or eight was the total, I finished with six on the hardest difficulty setting and so long as you're using everything available to you and being offensive, things will click.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The thing that changed everything for me for that boss fight is realising that the short range dodge gives a small amount of iframes, that combined with the ability that gives a brief moment of slowed time when you time a dodge right allowed me to get a LOT of hits in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"We're making a game about a space wizard with a laser sword. Let's have a whole level where you don't have said sword."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

precision posted:

"We're making a game about a space wizard with a laser sword. Let's have a whole level where you don't have said sword."

I agree, that level in Jedi Academy ruled.