Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Powershift posted:

They’ve completely changed how the game works like 5 times now. I had to google how to get recipes again. It’s all so convoluted and stupid. Why can’t the exocraft scanner find manufacturing facilities

Why can the exocraft scanner find abandoned sites? Is there any use for them besides a chart? What am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ambaire posted:

Why can the exocraft scanner find abandoned sites? Is there any use for them besides a chart? What am I missing?

Nanites from the terminal and the abomination eggs?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Thanks for the answers on the base NPCs. I think I'm going to let them go play back at the space station instead of entombing them deep in the bowels of my new base.

Speaking of which, I thought you all might want to see the abomination of a base that I created:

The whole thing is complete inside as well, with each layer being a full set of internal walls, squares inside of squares. If I added access mechanisms, I could run the drat thing like a maze, but most remain inaccessible. There's nothing in it but the base computer, a save point, and 9624 wooden wall and floor tiles. It's big enough that my computer has a hard time when I zoom out and try to get a full screenshot, so I don't know that I'll ever go back and do anything with it.

Also, here's my current base, which I really like:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Finally started building a base. It seems I could have saved a fuckton of upgrade modules if I'd started on it when the tutorial first appeared...

Anyway. What is with all the idiotic aliens trying to land on my loving landing pad? Went out to do the depot raid, came back and there was a swarm of craft going around it with one landed. Killed it, another landed. Killed it... etc. Had to remove the landing pad at which point all the ships hosed off into space. Rebuilt it and summoned my ship before more idiots could show up. I guess this is due to bad game design or something.

I did build my base within 500 units of the planetary trade hub, though, so I guess that might have something to do with it. I'm thinking about deconstructing the entire thing and building it somewhere else.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just build more landing pads, I guess. I ended up doing that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

they just want to trade!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Rude!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Today in, "Things Inside Other Things"

The inside of the station was all hazy from the belt, too!

I tunneled inside just to see, and everyone was just standing around, totally ungrateful that I had freed them from their stony prison.

I should have thought to take a pic from the moon

My bases:
The Farm

This is my lake house.

Inside is a tunnel going straight down into the glass room underwater, where the sleeping quarters are.

This is my sky base on the Galactic Hub main planet.

I used build-glitching to make that telescope, make railings for the stairs, and bury the landing pads, things you can't do anymore (to my knowledge) after the BEYOND update. In the chambers underneath are all the power generators and storage containers.

Two of my favorite shots:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

none of my farm building last night saved, i tried redoing it and...........

why do i even bother :smith:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Is there a limit on how far bases can be extended? I built a base on a power hotspot like the tutorial said, and then I went over to some gas and mineral deposits and couldn't build but I noticed I could extend wires so I tried extending wires to the resource spots and the build area extended with the wire, allowing me to build extractors. One of them was around 500 units from the base controller.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ambaire posted:

Is there a limit on how far bases can be extended? I built a base on a power hotspot like the tutorial said, and then I went over to some gas and mineral deposits and couldn't build but I noticed I could extend wires so I tried extending wires to the resource spots and the build area extended with the wire, allowing me to build extractors. One of them was around 500 units from the base controller.

There is for most stuff, but it seems you can build a mineral extractor anywhere. the game wouldn't let me connect a mineral extractor "outside" my base to a silo "inside" it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Ambaire posted:

There is a 300u radial limit from the base computer, but you can "stretch" the limit by building things at the edges of the limit and then building outwards from there. not 100% sure how it works after BEYOND, but you can probably check youtube.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, most stuff has a limit, which I found out during my ill-fated underground exocraft racetrack project.

Apropos of nothing, chaining bases together isn't advisable. The game apparently doesn't keep exact relative positions of bases and so even if the tiles are linked together when you build it, you might come back one day to find that one of your intermediary bases dropped a few feet and your tiles don't link up properly anymore.

Further apropos of nothing, have the developers ever said whether the refilling of underground bases that were excavated with the terrain manipulation tool is a bug or a feature?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

blarzgh posted:

There is a 300u radial limit from the base computer, but you can "stretch" the limit by building things at the edges of the limit and then building outwards from there. not 100% sure how it works after BEYOND, but you can probably check youtube.

The limit is defined by what you can access via the menu, so as soon as you cross that 300u threshold, the option to build most stuff disappears, but you can still place things outside of the 300u limit, so long as you can see the location and place it while your avatar is within the 300u limit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Azathoth posted:

Further apropos of nothing, have the developers ever said whether the refilling of underground bases that were excavated with the terrain manipulation tool is a bug or a feature?
No. The root cause is known and while it seems like an oversight from not having base building in the game to begin with, to my knowledge they haven't explicitly said it was something they were working on fixing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Figured i would just restart again, took an hour and 38 minutes just to get through the tutorial.

My starting system has a 24 slot S-rank multitool for sale tho :swoon:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

My starting system has a 24 slot S-rank multitool for sale tho :swoon:

Holy poo poo, I've played the game for hundreds of hours and only ever stumbled across 1 max-slot multi-tool, and it was only an A class!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Some dude hooked me up!

It doesn't look too goofy, either.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

blarzgh posted:

Holy poo poo, I've played the game for hundreds of hours and only ever stumbled across 1 max-slot multi-tool, and it was only an A class!

I was able to get a max slot S class multitool by brute force in a few hours. Just did free explore on the galaxy map, looked for 3 star economy systems, checked the station, and moved on if it didn't have an S class. Also filled out all my secondary inventory slots as well. I looked and it took me 61 jumps to find one, and I also stumbled across an S class max slot hauler too.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Apologies in advance for this dumb question, but I need a goon consensus: I ~kind of~ enjoyed Subnautica, but only the exploratory part of the game. I did not enjoy the resource gathering. I wanted untethered access to explore the cool underwater world. From browsing this thread, it seems like No Man's Sky is relatively similar in that regard...thus probably not the game for me. True?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Fly Ricky posted:

Apologies in advance for this dumb question, but I need a goon consensus: I ~kind of~ enjoyed Subnautica, but only the exploratory part of the game. I did not enjoy the resource gathering. I wanted untethered access to explore the cool underwater world. From browsing this thread, it seems like No Man's Sky is relatively similar in that regard...thus probably not the game for me. True?
There's a creative mode where you can make whatever you want without having to gather anything so you might like it. "Regular" mode can be a PITA especially at first with resources so that would probably suck for you. If you just want to fly around and look at pretty landscapes and funky animals you can totally do that in creative mode. Maybe see if you can find some gameplay videos or something and if the aesthetic appeals give it a go.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

SubponticatePoster posted:

There's a creative mode where you can make whatever you want without having to gather anything so you might like it. "Regular" mode can be a PITA especially at first with resources so that would probably suck for you. If you just want to fly around and look at pretty landscapes and funky animals you can totally do that in creative mode. Maybe see if you can find some gameplay videos or something and if the aesthetic appeals give it a go.

Cool, I definitely dig the look of the game from what I've seen. Creative mode is right up my alley, I'll pick it up. Thanks!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if you can start planet hopping in creative mode for awhile though. I think you still have to go through all the missions.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

blarzgh posted:

I don't know if you can start planet hopping in creative mode for awhile though. I think you still have to go through all the missions.

As long as they aren't tedious collecting poo poo (like laser shooting 100 rocks as I saw on YouTube) missions I'm down with it. Are they? The near-infinite random discovery of stuff is what draws me to the game.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Fly Ricky posted:

As long as they aren't tedious collecting poo poo (like laser shooting 100 rocks as I saw on YouTube) missions I'm down with it. Are they? The near-infinite random discovery of stuff is what draws me to the game.

I can't say for sure about the start of Creative, but either way, you'll very quickly be at a point where you can spend at least 95% of your time exploring and looking at random things

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

The Mash posted:

I can't say for sure about the start of Creative, but either way, you'll very quickly be at a point where you can spend at least 95% of your time exploring and looking at random things

Cool, that's good enough for me. It's half price on Xbone right now. I was real bummed when it was a PS4 exclusive, and then all the negative stuff I heard about it at launch turned me off. But it sounds like they've really done a lot of work to satisfy people.

Thanks for the info, downloading tonight.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Creative mode should give you total freedom to explore with zero danger or resource costs eventually, I'm not sure if it makes you jump through any hoops for this.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Since this game is currently on sale, is it good for grinding and listening to podcasts? Like, can I just dig through a mountain for an hour and also get rewarded for doing so, not just do it because it is possible gameplay-wise?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
You don't really get rewarded for random digging. It's got resource nodes and you can definitely throw on a podcast and just flit between them (i played while watching netflix, a lot of the time).

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Unless you consider the accomplishment of a meaningless feat, which you set out to accomplish regardless of it's meaningfulness, as a reward in and of itself!?!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mike12345 posted:

Since this game is currently on sale, is it good for grinding and listening to podcasts? Like, can I just dig through a mountain for an hour and also get rewarded for doing so, not just do it because it is possible gameplay-wise?

I play the game like this and I definitely would say that it is, though instead of digging through a mountain, you might instead be grinding out resources to build a base by clear-cutting a forest, or running missions for a small lizard man who is very happy to see you.

There is a story portion of the game that I would recommend paying attention to, but you have to choose to engage with that, so it's easy to pause your podcast and read when necessary.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

mike12345 posted:

If you do buy it, once you figure out how to play, be sure to get the disable all blue hints mod so you don't have the game reminding you how to use basic stuff 100+ hours into a save. It gets .. aggravating. Also there's absolutely no way to skip the basic unlocks tutorial and the base building tutorial also unlocks a lot of necessary stuff. NMS is tutorials within tutorials these days. It's like the devs designed it for people with late stage Alzheimer's or something.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Strange question to which I can't seem to find an answer:

I'm just starting to play around with small cuboid rooms to construct a larger structure, but whenever I use them, the walls seem to become invisible as I get near them. Is this normal behavior? Is there any way of getting them to stay solid short of building an external shell of solid cubes?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'd sell my soul for a zoomed out point and click interface for building, rather than having to worry about physically getting around in order to place stuff. :(

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

1. That's not normal behaviour unless you're still in building mode, in which case the walls 'disappear' to show you where a snapped-on piece is going to be placed, but they should definitely be solid when you exit.

2. There's a dedicated build mode available if you press L3/C that puts you into free-camera. It's not as good as point and click, but it's a lot easier to manage large builds without walking.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ghostlight posted:

2. There's a dedicated build mode available if you press L3/C that puts you into free-camera. It's not as good as point and click, but it's a lot easier to manage large builds without walking.

are you kidding me

When was that added???? That changes everything

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I think it was NEXT.

Also, I kept forgetting to upload these but here's base builds from the last two weekend events:

I wish I'd gotten a better shot of the second one, but whoever's producing these is putting in some real work.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
uh holy poo poo

marumaru
May 20, 2013

That's loving awesome, didn't even know you could do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I thought they patched out Glitch building in BEYOND??