Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
That still seems like a really, really bad deal.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sandepande posted:

That still seems like a really, really bad deal.

In general, spending 600 bucks on a game that is nowhere near completion is a bad idea.

But in SC land, you get applauded for spending more.

Suppose it acts as some form of validation of self-worth for some people.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Chris Roberts is a very scummy man.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Kosumo posted:

Chris Roberts is a very scummy man.

Why do you say so?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Agony Aunt posted:

In general, spending 600 bucks on a game that is nowhere near completion is a bad idea.

But in SC land, you get applauded for spending more.

Suppose it acts as some form of validation of self-worth for some people.

I've mostly only watched SC from a distance but I think for the true believers part of it is this makes them feel like they're part of a exclusive community that only true wealth gains access to, it makes them feel like they're maritime shipping CFOs, hedge fund managers, or Bahraini yacht aficionados. The type of people who have to write letters explaining why they deserve to be allowed to buy the new limited edition Lamborghini or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKFzOntgySk

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Was SQ42 seriously not even mentioned at their flagship conference?

The game that is supposed to be finished next year, and is the culmination of years of groundbreaking floor-mopping npc tech?

This is good for Star Citizen.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
And procedural eggs!

Was there no mention of those?!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

MedicineHut posted:

Why do you say so?

Due to the way how he sold his idea for his Kickstarter asking people to make his dream game which he said he had been working on which it is now extremely apparent he had no idea or design document of what it was.

Once he started to get an abundance of money he continued to just ask for more all the while employing his family and friends who are far from qualified to deliver on anything close to the promises he made.

That deception he undertook regarding Sandi, his wife while not making this know, shows the level of respect he gives to the people who believe in him.

His choice of business practices, selling 'concept ships, i.e. jpegs or dlc for a game that was yet to be developed and then trying to frame this as he was not selling anything, that it was just a "pledge" , and he does not own you anything; is truly insulting to those who did believe in him.

His betrayal of Crytek and the assistants they had given him is also a sign of his character. He has a history of breaking contracts. (Of which he has continued to do).

He is also very arrogant and nihilistic - absolving himself of wrongdoing as though it was not his fault.

He is creatively bankrupt and openly plagiarizes other people's work.

He shows no sign of having a moral compass.

All of that and also the fact that he does not seem to care at all about gaming and is only in it for the self satisfaction of controlling/directing others and the enrichment of himself and his family and friends.

That is why I say that Chris Roberts is a very scummy man but I could be wrong.

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 25, 2019

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

I don't think they are going to cruise into the 11 million I forecast this year... I feel like the wheels are actually comming of this time.

A new game mode that will be more buggy than star marine thats been done as side note to sq42 / PU.

A new entry level ship. That som what works maybe but is hardly enough to get the whale oil flowing.

That janky demo where nothing works 8 years in...

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Squandered (2)42M

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

G0rf is a really good poster.

Catching up over this thread over the weekend was good. Thanks friends.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Chris might not know too much about game development, but by God he knows how to develop that Turkey gobbler chin!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Who's going to do the best documentary on this affair? Not necessarily the most professional maker, just the most informative. Someone who has inkling as to how games are produced and doesn't need to explain everything in layman's.

The greatest laugh out of this would be if it launched Derek Smart's career into making high quality documentary movies about videogames and scams. If Derek could gain some recognition in the movie industry where Chris got run out, that would be amazing. :D

Did he just throw a JPEG at someone? :stonklol:

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

This post Scruffpuff made really stood out to me as a good summary of CI!G's slow shift to a simple lack of caring/"who gives a gently caress" attitude:

Scruffpuff posted:

Before: legal threats and 8-hour diatribes in response to an Escapist article that lightly questions the project
Now: utter silence in response to a Forbes article that outs Sandi as a stalking strangler and makes the entire management team look like career criminals

Before: near-instantaneous response to anything posted in the thread, from renaming the Aegis Potato to us catching artistic plagiarism; every crime and misstep was quickly walked back and/or covered, sometimes aggressively
Now: a CitizenCon mosaic featuring Crobear is proudly posted to their own Twitter feed, and left there indefinitely in that state

Before: promises of an all-encompassing life in space with real physics and derelict vessels with life support and boarding and huge fleet battles and literally everything else every space fan ever wanted
Now: a poor man's battle royale that doesn't work, has no space game elements, and no promises of ever becoming anything more

Before: 10 for the Chairman, wavy hands, "yes," "Maybe Rockstar can match us"
Now: Bagman

There's no energy in this project any more. It's over.
In addition to the Crobear (which I'm linking because that is easily the #1 funniest highlight of 2019), you've got the very obvious clipping in the wormhole sequence that they didn't even bother to edit out of the youtube upload:

Koil posted:

Citcon in 3 images:

SelenicMartian posted:

They kept this in the YT upload.
While I don't think this is the end quite yet, it's definitely a sea change you can point to in retrospect and and say "Yeah the project game scam ended in 202X, but everyone involved with Star Citizen had already stopped pretending to giving a gently caress by sometime in mid-to-late 2019".

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 25, 2019

Hazamuth
May 9, 2007

the original bugsy

So when you take their development pipeline and inspiration into account, Chris made Battlefield 2042.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Kosumo posted:

Due to the way how he sold his idea for his Kickstarter asking people to make his dream game which he said he had been working on which it is now extremely apparent he had no idea or design document of what it was.

Once he started to get an abundance of money he continued to just ask for more all the while employing his family and friends who are far from qualified to deliver on anything close to the promises he made.

That deception he undertook regarding Sandi, his wife while not making this know, shows the level of respect he gives to the people who believe in him.

His choice of business practices, selling 'concept ships, i.e. jpegs or dlc for a game that was yet to be developed and then trying to frame this as he was not selling anything, that it was just a "pledge" , and he does not own you anything; is truly insulting to those who did believe in him.

His betrayal of Crytek and the assistants they had given him is also a sign of his character. He has a history of breaking contracts. (Of which he has continued to do).

He is also very arrogant and nihilistic - absolving himself of wrongdoing as though it was not his fault.

All of that and also the fact that he does not seem to care at all about gaming and is only in it for the self satisfaction of controlling/directing others and the enrichment of himself and his family and friends.

Counterpoint: But it is not a scam!!!!

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Kosumo posted:

His choice of business practices, selling 'concept ships, i.e. jpegs or dlc for a game that was yet to be developed and then trying to frame this is a he was not selling anything, that it was just a "pledge" , and he does not own you anything; is truly insulting to those who did believe in him.

His betrayal of Crytek and the assistants they had given him is also a sign of his character. He has a history of breaking contracts. (Of which she has continued to do).

Morally bankrupt, egotistical and incompetent.

A dude with no dream or vision of star citizen jumped in after two many red bulls and made more of game of star citizen than Chris in did with all his vision dreams, millions of dollars and years of time. He has just sat on the side lines and shat on people doing any creative work and calling it vision.

If he had any idea on what to do he would have realeased a product by now. He certainly would not be thinking about trying to push out some new game mode 8 years in after one shouty streamer pushed a mountain of poo poo up hill to try and make some sort of fun in his game.

When, not if this all goes to poo poo chris, there is no absolution, you and you alone were responsible for producing the game, who knows what you did but it certainly did not involve making a game.

Blush and wave your hands go back to your mansion, the only thing you will have accomplished is fleecing the mentally weak and wasting everyone's time for the better part of decade.

Im sure history will look back speak kindly to Chris and his contribution to the creative works of man kind.

Scummy is to kind a word.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Popete posted:

It's pretty clearly a direct response to Rexzilla's mild success at streaming SC. It's a colossal amount of work for Rexzilla and ZDF to coordinate in SC as it is so they built this mode to better facilitate their "missions" and hopefully get some kind of audience for SC cause as it stands no one gives a crap about this game anymore.

Rex and crew is probably not gonna have as much fun when they aren't the only 30+ people on the server anymore.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Sandweed posted:

Rex and crew is probably not gonna have as much fun when they aren't the only 30+ people on the server anymore.

They weren't having that much fun to start with

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Sandweed posted:

A new life awaits you in the Off-World Colonies.

Unfortunately it's a life of debt slavery working for the ultra-rich.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Exinos posted:

The problem with wanting Sandi to play the bad cop role is she can't play any role convincingly.

I don't know. She's had some hands on experience playing the defendant.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
I found a primordial state of the mosaic, already featuring Crobear.

It shows something about how it was made.

Link seems gone, but google had it here:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...&source=sh/x/im

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Is there going to be a Holiday stream this year?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lol

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
Checking in on the citcon thread on one of the largest gaming news site in my country, and the cultists are out in full force. They were all blown away by the fidelity and quality, and mesmerized by the panels. One of them called ”Tony ’THE GOD’ Z”, and said that his faith was now entirely restored after that panel. Server side OCS was also mentioned several times as the thing that is going to turn everything around.

Meanwhile, I watched the final keynote by Chris live on discord with a few buddies that are just superficially aware of SC, and they were in awe of how shoddy it looked, in this the year 2019. They could hardly believe it when I told them that this is 7 years late and 300 million dollars in.

Erenthal fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 25, 2019

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Weather tec shown in CitCon coming with 3.8: Blizzard not included.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/that-snow-storm-was-jaw/2541525

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

"We call these :airquote: ground effects :airquote:"

Yeah...but ground effect (in cars, in helicopters etc.) is something completely different...I assume Crobbear came up with that term...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Love the theorycrafting in that one.

Anyways from a developer:

quote:

The trees are one area we’d like to put more focus into. We’re already spawning ‘clusters’ of trees rather than individual trees in the distance to reduce cost but we probably need more bespoke tech here to save performance and therefore allow smoother transitions.

Bespoke tech. Wonder what term they will come up with next to handle trees.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

Love the theorycrafting in that one.

Anyways from a developer:

Bespoke tech. Wonder what term they will come up with next to handle trees.

Probably some catchy name, so they can sell it to the backers as a brand new exciting tech... something like FastTree™ or something...

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

:lol:
Oh, and by the way, sandstorm from 2016 not included either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuDj5v81Nd0&t=6362s

(not to mention the sand worm)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

tuo posted:

"We call these :airquote: ground effects :airquote:"

Yeah...but ground effect (in cars, in helicopters etc.) is something completely different...I assume Crobbear came up with that term...

I love the comments about how 'Not even Skyrim was this good' Skyrim was released 8 years ago, cost $80 mill to make and was an actually released game.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AbstractNapper posted:

What about Darude?

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
I've only just caught up with Citizencon.

The Pyro thing was obviously faked, right? They're emphasising in the presentation it's streaming out one environment and streaming in another, but the portal has a massive gas cloud blocking what's behind it, the camera clips outside of the tunnel and reveals they're just going through the gas cloud and then they've stuck a vista on the other side of the gas cloud.

If the gas cloud had glitched and gone transparent you'd have seen the other environment sitting there.

And yet no one on the reddit seems to have twigged, not even the inevitable post in controversial downvoted to zero with a guy sticking his head above the parapet.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's nice to see that, years later, nothing has changed. Entropy continues.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Look who completed the stealth section and made it back to the thread.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

colonelwest posted:

I’m sure that all of the requisite gameplay mechanics to support that are all in place; and I’m sure it will launch very soon after the sale, considering that the original Kraken has spent a year in “concept” with no appreciable progress and has hardly even been mentioned.

it's the journey, not the destination.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

So, 90% of the game right now involves picking up unique crates, putting them in your cargo hold, and transporting them. It's what most missions ask you to do, and it's what makes you money the fastest. But you literally cannot put a box in the Mustang:

And although you can in the Aurora, the last time I tried to do it you had to sort of... throw them in through the doors because you couldn't walk up the little ladder to get in, and they all sort of jumbled around and usually fell out because the inside part of the Aurora isn't specifically meant to hold cargo. Most Citizens suggest people buy the Avenger as a starter ship because besides being better in a fight (in that you can shoot it a couple times before it explodes instead of just once), it actually has a cargo area and more importantly, a ramp. Without these two things, doing box runs is borderline impossible and you're essentially locked out of 90% of the game. When they redesigned the 300i and related ships, they specifically made sure to put in a cargo hold that dropped down to the ground so you could stow boxes, otherwise the ship would have been basically worthless. Hand to God I was honestly considering upgrading to an Avenger because on the rare occasion that I want to make a dumb Star Citizen joke video, the thought having to deal with the starter ships is so horrible I convince myself not to, but it's like a... 30(?) upgrade and I don't have that much left in store credit, if I have any left at all, and I just couldn't justify giving more money to these assholes just so I could make bad youtube videos.

If the Pisces has a quantum drive, a ramp, and a little cargo area - which it seems like it does - then it has the things the actual "starter" ships have been missing and should have had all along. If it's priced close enough to them, literally nobody should be flying the loving Aurora any more.

fun fact: when i got my account back from this guy who stole it (long story) i found it had a super hornet and a mustang omega.
estimated black market price for my account would be nearing $400
i cant play the "game" because neither of them can carry a loving box.
i looked if i could "downgrade" to a pisces but crobertsstore.com doesn't let you downgrade, only give them more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

AbstractNapper posted:

well, to be fair, its still early days

i will run this joke to the ground. and then keep going