Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/NabilahforGA07/status/1196568106426130433

A Georgian Challenger approaches!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

This guy missed a primo opportunity to call him "Bretbug" in response.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AHoweBlogger/status/1198976829031354368?s=20

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

:yeshaha: cue temper tantrum

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/JessforDelaware/status/1196412743437488128

Chris Coons is being primaried too! I feel like she is getting into this too late into the game though, but I will support the primarying of any lovely Dem.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 25, 2019

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My understandings that "did not act" doesn't mean the records get released, it means nothing at all happened and we have to wait until the next orders list from the court. Probably in a week or so.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Rasmussen net strong approval-disapproval has moved from 0 to -11 from 9/29 to today. Their polling methodology is obviously skewed right, but is smoothed out both monthly and over 3 day averages, so any movement is a stronger indicator than other, noisier polls. This poo poo matters and is trending the wrong direction for Trump

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1198977167801159680?s=20

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

This guy missed a primo opportunity to call him "Bretbug" in response.

It's obnoxious how none of these people dump on these dumbasses when they get at the table with them. Imagine how much it'd rule to tell Stephens he was a know-nothing who's failed his way to the top of his field and nobody in America should ever listen to his lovely opinions.

Even on Bill Maher which is the show to do it the only time I remember anyone getting mean was Affleck pretty much calling Maher and Sam Harris Islamophobes.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lots of experience losing elections and worked for hillary in Georgia.

Medicare for All and.....not much else besides typical platitudes. Of course she's still miles better than Carolyn Bordeaux who doesn't even have a positions page on her website lmao.

GA-7 is such a fascinating district. It's half fiscally conservative, socially liberal poo poo heads who vote republican no matter what and half every ethnicity you can imagine.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 25, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Apparently Roberts wants to make sure that campaign contribution limits are fully dead

https://twitter.com/ahoweblogger/status/1198974024451338242?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

There’s also this which bodes poorly for future cases

https://twitter.com/mjs_dc/status/1198973108532711424?s=21

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pack the loving court.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

Medicare for All and.....not much else besides typical platitudes. Of course she's still miles better than Carolyn Bordeaux who doesn't even have a positions page on her website lmao.

GA-7 is such a fascinating district. It's half fiscally conservative, socially liberal poo poo heads who vote republican no matter what and half every ethnicity you can imagine.

Did you even read any of her platform? Or did you just see that she was a regional aide on Hilary's campaign and decide she was canceled?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

FizFashizzle posted:

It can be difficult to espouse anything but platitudes when it comes to establishing positions as a new candidate because you don't have the resources and first-hand knowledge that would allow you to be more specific in many cases. It's good to know where she stands and what she'll work toward, at least! Hers is definitely not the worst position page I've seen before.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

The crime is coming from inside the house!

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

That seems really really bad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FlamingLiberal posted:

for those who don't know this, functionally, means the death of individual agencies being able to set their own rules without congressional action. For example the EPA couldn't set their own pollution standards and instead would have to request congress make a law setting them for them to enforce. It's an absolute bonkers view that treats agencies as purely enforcement tools which is not even some originalist bullshit it's just someone not understanding how the government works.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Imagine if Trump in his capacity as the POTUS went to loving goddamn bat for literally any U.S Citizen besides himself as hard as he has for some convicted war criminal facing imminent court martial. Just imagine.....like Jesus.......:stare:

This is literally the most engaged I've seen him in any activity besides bitching about his usual stable of "but muh enemies" on twitter and Fox News in months...

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Dammerung posted:

It can be difficult to espouse anything but platitudes when it comes to establishing positions as a new candidate because you don't have the resources and first-hand knowledge that would allow you to be more specific in many cases. It's good to know where she stands and what she'll work toward, at least! Hers is definitely not the worst position page I've seen before.

No, you see. She lost an election...as an aide working on fundraising so, therefore, she is canceled because she *reads notes* somehow made decisions for a campaign as an aide. Oh, and she worked for Hillary as a regional aide so she is turbo canceled. /sarcasm

I swear, sometimes posters in this thread baffle me.

- She is against deportation of immigrants
- She is for a living wage
- She is for combatting the Climate Crisis
- She is for M4A
- She is for student loan forgiveness
- She is for the Right to Choose

I honestly don't understand why she is somehow a bad candidate here

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

What does this mean?

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://theintercept.com/2019/11/11/mitch-mcconnell-2020-election-charles-booker/

You want an alternative to Amy Mcgrath? I present Charles Booker.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ReidRansom posted:

What does this mean?

you know how assorted federal agencies can set their own standards for their job to, ya know, make them able to function without having to ask congress for permission to take a piss?

Yea that'd go away if it was challenged and kav actually voted against it. It's the federalist small government freaks' wet dream

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

What does this mean?
Federal agencies would have to go to Congress to set rules or regulations, instead of having that power as they do now

It’s just these Federalist Society assholes wanting to destroy the regulatory state

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This would also lead to like loving house reps arguing about what emission standards should be.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

ReidRansom posted:

What does this mean?

Very simply stated it restricts if not eliminates the power and discretion of administrative agencies. So the EPA wouldn't be able to do poo poo without Congress giving approval through legislation.

If it seems like that would not be workable because of the amount of bills Congress would need to pass and also the current inability to legislate anything, that's the point. It would eviscerate the ability of a modern government to meaningfully govern and regulate most things

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ReidRansom posted:

What does this mean?

As above, it means that Congress is not allowed to create organizational entities with any real power. Any part of the government that issues legally binding regulations (EPA, SEC, FCC, basically every non-military agency you can think of) would no longer be able to do that and only laws passed by Congress would change the government's policy on just about anything.

Of course the reason Congress creates these agencies is that they have neither the time nor the expertise to craft these regulations themselves, so it's effectively a mass repeal of a vast swath of governmental oversight throughout the country.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

sexpig by night posted:

you know how assorted federal agencies can set their own standards for their job to, ya know, make them able to function without having to ask congress for permission to take a piss?

Yea that'd go away if it was challenged and kav actually voted against it. It's the federalist small government freaks' wet dream

So none of the administrative experts could actually apply and enforce their expertise without explicit Congressional approval? That's absolutely insane. It bottlenecks the federal government and makes any sort of regulation impossible. I know this is exactly the intended purpose, but poo poo!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

for those who don't know this, functionally, means the death of individual agencies being able to set their own rules without congressional action. For example the EPA couldn't set their own pollution standards and instead would have to request congress make a law setting them for them to enforce. It's an absolute bonkers view that treats agencies as purely enforcement tools which is not even some originalist bullshit it's just someone not understanding how the government works.

that guy is probably exaggerating in saying that there's overt agreement among all five

there's going to be agreement that they want to Lochner anything President Sanders or President Warren does, but they haven't actually settled on how to do that in a way that still lets Republicans do what they want when they take back over. Kavanaugh agreeing with Gorsuch is no real surprise, as always, all that matters is what Roberts thinks and it's very up in the air afaik

the maximalist "THE ADMINISTRATIVE STATE IS ALL DEAD" version of this that people are posting about simply isn't happening, just like they're not going to directly overturn Casey and Roe. a minimalist version is what they'll end up with, where they can gently caress over major democratic policy objectives

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

terrorist ambulance posted:

Very simply stated it restricts if not eliminates the power and discretion of administrative agencies. So the EPA wouldn't be able to do poo poo without Congress giving approval through legislation.

If it seems like that would not be workable because of the amount of bills Congress would need to pass and also the current inability to legislate anything, that's the point. It would eviscerate the ability of a modern government to meaningfully govern and regulate most things
The whole point is to destroy the ability for the government to do regulation

This is a Federalist’s dream, along with eliminating any real restrictions on what corporations are allowed to do.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

They're also essentially guaranteeing a president warren/sanders is going to have to take fairly extreme steps if they want to accomplish anything.

I don't have a doubt in my mind that Sanders will do what needs to be done, but Warren would probably get bogged down in decorum bullshit.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Pack the loving court.

I'm looking forward to reading in 2022 or so, "In a 10-9 decision, SCOTUS rules in favour of court packing."

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

friendbot2000 posted:

No, you see. She lost an election...as an aide working on fundraising so, therefore, she is canceled because she *reads notes* somehow made decisions for a campaign as an aide. Oh, and she worked for Hillary as a regional aide so she is turbo canceled. /sarcasm

I swear, sometimes posters in this thread baffle me.

- She is against deportation of immigrants
- She is for a living wage
- She is for combatting the Climate Crisis
- She is for M4A
- She is for student loan forgiveness
- She is for the Right to Choose

I honestly don't understand why she is somehow a bad candidate here

She seems all right to me, too. Nobody's perfect, after all! And seriously, her position page could be a lot worse.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

They're also essentially guaranteeing a president warren/sanders is going to have to take fairly extreme steps if they want to accomplish anything.

I don't have a doubt in my mind that Sanders will do what needs to be done, but Warren would probably get bogged down in decorum bullshit.

which one of those two supports packing the court

the answer may surprise you

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Dammerung posted:

She seems all right to me, too. Nobody's perfect, after all! And seriously, her position page could be a lot worse.

I will take what I can get in Georgia. She hits the major things that will help a lot of people and that is important. Hell, just having a Southern Rep that believes Climate Change is real is already a huge improvement.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

eke out posted:

Yeah he has some vague judge rotation scheme.

friendbot2000 posted:

I will take what I can get in Georgia. She hits the major things that will help a lot of people and that is important. Hell, just having a Southern Rep that believes Climate Change is real is already a huge improvement.

absolutely and I'm sorry if I came across as making GBS threads on her.

but the article linked starts off as calling her Atlanta's AOC and I think that's a bridge too far.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

eke out posted:

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/434533-warren-harris-gillibrand-back-efforts-to-add-justices-to-supreme

"Warren, Harris, Gillibrand back efforts to add justices to Supreme Court"

Not as much as the other two...

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

friendbot2000 posted:

https://theintercept.com/2019/11/11/mitch-mcconnell-2020-election-charles-booker/

You want an alternative to Amy Mcgrath? I present Charles Booker.

I read this as Charlie Brooker and that was a fun few seconds of confusion.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I see. Thank you all for the answers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

i wouldn't trust anything warren says regarding court packing since shes walked back everything else shes said so far