Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
My only real gripe with this episode was that godawful Nostalgia ® exposition at the beginning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
And actually, explicitly drawing the link between HJ and Superman’s origin in this ep felt strangely heavy handed. I suppose it helps contextualize why he would become a masked adventurer in the first place if he felt a strong connection to a superhero... would have been cool to see him read Action Comics at least 1 or 2 more times tho if that was the intent.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Splendid posted:

My only real gripe with this episode was that godawful Nostalgia ® exposition at the beginning

Haha yeah that wasn't great but you only have so much time in television and I'll take some clunky exposition if it means getting something like the rest of this episode.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Loved the episode. My only (really minor) complaint was that the jazz drums in the sound track just kept making me think of Birdman and it was just a little distracting.

So speculating from the PeteyPedia stuff. Obviously Lady Trieu gave a bunch of brand new HD televisions to the people around Tulsa in order to use HJ’s mind control tech. I’m betting that they use it to recreate the 1921 incident hoping that the unrest from having another race war will allow them to accomplish their goals of outing police corruption, and... Vietnamese independence... somehow.

It’s the opening of the show, why not have another riot to close it out. And it’s the sort of thing Veidt would get up to as the OG villain, sacrificing a bunch of innocents for a perceived greater good.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

nooneofconsequence posted:

He stepped off a small a stool but it was nowhere close to the height he was found at.
i chalked this up to an actor safety issue. i don’t care how much i like the prop director - i’m not standing on a stool and putting a taut noose-looking thing around my neck

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nah. I think it was just handwaving for story convenience. There wasn't a stepstool when Angela showed up, either. A ladder would've been far more conspicuously absent in that regard. Maybe Will tossed it in the woods between the hanging and Angela's arrival.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Maybe the stool was made of refined Vaginasquidium and it dissolved in water shortly after its use.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Hooded Justice is uncovering a plot to brainwash people using cinema, but his own origin is the he got the idea to wear a mask and beat people up from a movie.

Also

Watchmen posted:

Silk Spectre I: Boy! Real photo sessions! Do you think my hair will come looking out okay, HJ?

Hooded Justice: Frankly, Sally, I don't go in for all this razzle dazzle. I'd rather be on the streets, doing my job.

Comedian: Streets, nothing! Why don't Uncle Sammy get us into Europe, where the action is?

Hooded Justice: Well, firstly, we aren't at war. Secondly, we should avoid political situations.

The peteypedia info dump has captain metropolis' last will and he mentions that he frequently got in disputes with HJ about 'razzle dazzle" and "political situations" and HJ would imitate and mock him.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Nov 25, 2019

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

massive spider posted:

The peteypedia info dump has captain metropolis' last will and he mentions that he frequently got in disputes with HJ about 'razzle dazzle" and "political situations" and HJ would imitate and mock him.

Yeah, this:

Peteypedia posted:

Tell him [Hooded Justice] that I [Captain Metropolis] was wrong when I said "we should avoid political situations" and that he was right when he mocked us all with those same words every chance he could; tell him I now see how everything we did back then was a political act, even the hideous hustle of what he called our "razzle-dazzle" and the crass, degrading, and racist imagery it put into the world.

Is clearly a refutation of the "kEep PoLitIcS oUt oF mY WatChMEn" crowd.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Adrian Veidt spent his entire life, billions of dollars, and millions of casualties trying to change human nature and meanwhile the KKK was able to invent flawless subliminal mind control with a warehouse of scraps and 18th century mysticism before he was even born. This entire show just can't stop owning him.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Sleeveless posted:

... and meanwhile the KKK was able to invent flawless subliminal mind control with a warehouse of scraps.

\

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

beanieson posted:

Obviously Lady Trieu gave a bunch of brand new HD televisions to the people around Tulsa in order to use HJ’s mind control tech. I’m betting that they use it to recreate the 1921 incident hoping that the unrest from having another race war will allow them to accomplish their goals of outing police corruption, and... Vietnamese independence... somehow.
ugh, i hope you’re wrong. that would be a hard watch.

as a personal nit-pick, the show does a good job of portraying the 1921 incident as one-sided slaughter, which is what all the surviving historical evidence suggests. growing up in tulsa in the 90s, we were the first generation to have it truly taught at all, with school field trips to the then newly-expanded greenwood cultural center. as i recall, even then it was still taught as being a “race riot” by my teachers and maybe even the greenwood employees.

it was only in the past handful of years it have historians and educators been particular to describe it as a “massacre” instead of “race war” or “riot.” this resulted in enormous pushback from old white conservatives that dominate tulsa’s “culture” as they don’t want to ever admit a great crime occurred because they refuse to make amends after generations of being able to not have to talk about what grand-pop-pop did.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This episode was amazing and the Peteypedia entries this week live up to it

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Also notable that the first Ink Spots song we get is "I don't want to set the world on fire", when in fact HJ ends up arsoning the Klan Warehouse later.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I'm like 23 pages behind, but am caught up on the episodes and just want to say:

This series is so, so, soooo much better than I had ever expected it to be before it aired. I'm incredibly impressed with every aspect of it. It does such a great job at capturing what I'd say are the key thematic amd tonal elements of the original work while telling a different story--one that is both dependent on and independent from the original work.

Also, the cinematography and camera work on general for last night's episode, as well as their inclusion of The Ink Spots's music (which I personally have a major soft spot for) was superb. I really like the way they handled that whole episode.

Glad it isn't anything like what I was expecting.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Reeves: "Stop in the name of the Law!"
Racist prick: "I thought they only said that in the pictures."

Man, another referencing to how much Reeves was influenced by that original film. I love this episode.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Hooded Justice, man. A hundred years old and still out here hanging kkkops. loving awesome.

TenementFunster posted:

ugh, i hope you’re wrong. that would be a hard watch.

as a personal nit-pick, the show does a good job of portraying the 1921 incident as one-sided slaughter, which is what all the surviving historical evidence suggests. growing up in tulsa in the 90s, we were the first generation to have it truly taught at all, with school field trips to the then newly-expanded greenwood cultural center. as i recall, even then it was still taught as being a “race riot” by my teachers and maybe even the greenwood employees.

it was only in the past handful of years it have historians and educators been particular to describe it as a “massacre” instead of “race war” or “riot.” this resulted in enormous pushback from old white conservatives that dominate tulsa’s “culture” as they don’t want to ever admit a great crime occurred because they refuse to make amends after generations of being able to not have to talk about what grand-pop-pop did.

I also grew up in Tulsa in the '90s. When I entered high school I was stunned that some of my classmates had never heard of the massacre. My junior high social studies class had done a huge unit about it and I just assumed that such a colossally horrific event happening right here in town would be widespread knowledge. It's simultaneously satisfying and surreal to see an HBO comic book show grapple with my city's racist history more readily than we ever really have.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Re the continuity error of how high off the ground was the police chief, it was inconsistent already in prior episodes. Angela was able to place her arms around his body as he was being cut down- closer to step-stool height than what we saw.

But also, who cares/lol, just lol, if stuff like this prevents you from enjoying good art.

Show owns.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

So it's pretty clear that the majority of the yellow masked cops are 7th Calvary right?

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Are we really worried about how high the stool was in Angela’s drug induced flashback to her grandfathers memories?

Like guys, a ton of poo poo during this episode was intensely strange and not accurate to Will’s actual life I’m sure. She was seeing bits of the Tulsa massacre through out while seeing Will working with NYPD, not to mention them swapping places multiple times lol

But the stool should have been taller :argh:

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Jay-V posted:

And actually, explicitly drawing the link between HJ and Superman’s origin in this ep felt strangely heavy handed. I suppose it helps contextualize why he would become a masked adventurer in the first place if he felt a strong connection to a superhero... would have been cool to see him read Action Comics at least 1 or 2 more times tho if that was the intent.

If its heavy handed here than its heavy handed in the graphic novel from the paragraph or two Mason describes the exact same inspiration in the first Under the Hood excerpts.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

if grandpa gave me his memory pills id be like "thanks, but next time keep all the gay sex you had out of it, im good"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

Adrian Veidt spent his entire life, billions of dollars, and millions of casualties trying to change human nature and meanwhile the KKK was able to invent flawless subliminal mind control with a warehouse of scraps and 18th century mysticism before he was even born. This entire show just can't stop owning him.

Have you ever read a comic book?

Xanderkish posted:

Reeves: "Stop in the name of the Law!"
Racist prick: "I thought they only said that in the pictures."

Man, another referencing to how much Reeves was influenced by that original film. I love this episode.

Do we know of any events in this universe diverges it universe from our own before the Bass Reeves film? Is the fact that there this historical figure was represented on film in the Watchmen universe and not in ours the entire basis of the alternate timeline?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 25, 2019

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Whoops wrong thread

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 25, 2019

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I mean, if I was an old guy who had pills made to help me remember things they'd literally be 50% sex stuff. Can't help it if my grand daughter learned things she didn't want to know.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Supreme Allah posted:

And I don't want to start a boring drawn out discussion that nobody cares about. I think the racial stuff is being over-indulgent in lue of actual, Watchmen related story telling.

We just had an entire episode from the pov of a white man almost entirely seperated from the "racial stuff" and youre complaining this is too much perspective in this episode? Imagine telling a black writer and director to their face theyre being "over indulgent" with the exploration of racial trauma via the lens of revealing the history of one of the most important figures in Watchmen "lore" because you couldnt sit down and listen for 50min and need more comic book.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

graham cracker posted:

So it's pretty clear that the majority of the yellow masked cops are 7th Calvary right?

I think it's pretty clear that The White Night happened to push out all the good cops and instill 7th Kavalry members in their place, yeah. Though I suspect there' a little more nuance to it based on Judd saying that he was trying to help "you people" and his friendship with Angela. He at least seems to think he had noble intentions, however misguided.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
I still can't decide if I like this show or not.

I really loved the original GN as a teen and this is a helluva lot better than Doomsday Clock ended up being and way better than I expected but I'm quite unsure about the premise and point of it existing.

This weeks reveal was pretty sweet and fits with the GN apart from the whole RM stuff from the Mason book in the original supplements but that can be easily ignored or could have had a throwaway line to explain it away. What I didn't really get into was the 'conspiracy' stuff unless there is someone else who gave them that tech? I'm not sure about the relevance of setting it in Tulsa now, it is an important locale esp for certain characters but not sure of the relevance in the grand scheme compared to say NY etc. Maybe something will be explained, hopefully as the new megacorp has been the dullest part so far.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.
Gosh, you know who else was a racist business owner in Queens in the 1930’s named Fred? His son is kind of famous.

Peteypedia this week:

- I guess it’s a time machine.

- I guess they are going to mind control everybody.

- is there anyone the Comedian DIDNT get pregnant?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

if grandpa gave me his memory pills id be like "thanks, but next time keep all the gay sex you had out of it, im good"

There were literally like three seconds of gay sex. That memory was really about the conversation they had after where Captain Metropolis said something I can't quite remember but was probably condescendingly racist. The gay sex at the beginning is more like when you would set your VCR to record Indiana Jones but it also gets the last minute or so of Night Court.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The best part of this is that Alan Moore considers Birth of a Nation as the first "superhero movie".

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Gosh, you know who else was a racist business owner in Queens in the 1930’s named Fred? His son is kind of famous.
Oh geez, weren't there even trucks that said "F. T. and Sons" or something that were likely his? That would be amazing.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Peteypedia this week:

- I guess it’s a time machine.

- I guess they are going to mind control everybody.

- is there anyone the Comedian DIDNT get pregnant?

I'm not sure how I feel about Laurie's memo hanging a lampshade on "It's weird that, of all the people who could have killed Crawford, it's the guy who beat up my Dad in the 40's, right?" but I appreciate them recognizing it, at least.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Weedle posted:

There were literally like three seconds of gay sex. That memory was really about the conversation they had after where Captain Metropolis said something I can't quite remember but was probably condescendingly racist. The gay sex at the beginning is more like when you would set your VCR to record Indiana Jones but it also gets the last minute or so of Night Court.

Captain Metropolis basically tells him “I’m not racist but all the other Minutemen are” and that he needs to continue wearing the mask. He also low-key admits that he fetishizes Will’s blackness.

Nieuw Amsterdam
Dec 1, 2006

Dignité. Toujours, dignité.

Martman posted:

Oh geez, weren't there even trucks that said "F. T. and Sons" or something that were likely his? That would be amazing.
[/

[quote="Martman" post="500298090"]

This is not a show with a lot of random poo poo in it.

Everything is deliberate.

Fred Trump built and owned one of the first supermarkets in Queens.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I love the contrast between Sister Night applying black makeup around her eyes while in costume, while Will was forced to apply white makeup.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Yep. And the cyclops sign is the okay symbol.

I thought that this episode was amazing from both story and filming perspectives. It is amazing to me that the first vigilante wasn't actually white. It was a black man and whites appropriated the concept, just like everything else in American history since they were forcibly brought here.

As for the rope. I noticed the height difference too. I don't know much about engineering so please be patient if I'm off. Wouldn't the rope setup make it easier for the old man to pull the rope from the ground to raise him (like a pully or something idk)? In the first episode he says to SN "do you think I could lift a hundred pounds?" He and her both seem to have super strength.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

So do we think that Trieu mind controlled Veidt into going into exile?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Nieuw Amsterdam posted:

Fred Trump also marched in pro-fascist demonstrations and was such an infamously terrible person that a western serial of the time named a villain after him, something Ozymandias would surely appreciate with his love of referencing Republic Pictures serials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mantis42 posted:

Yeah, bruh. The parts where you nearly got hate-crimed to death or where you slowly destroyed our family were chill, but forget the part where you were actually having something you enjoyed.

TFOH.