Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
If my mum can be won over, everything is to play for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

This poll makes my peepee feel weird

Interesting to see how the Lib Dems look by the end of the week.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

It went from "his stay in the embassy is effectively home imprisonment" through "his handling in prison amounts to state persecution" and "his stay in solitary is a form of torture" to "60 doctors write an open letter that he is likely to die based on his symptoms".

There's a progression.

And more to the point, regardless of the facts of his sexual crimes in Sweden, his treatment is clearly motivated by the United States desire to send a message due to his whistleblowing. That being literally the reason he is waiting to be rendered there while in solitary in prison.

The Americans didn't ask for him to be extradited until 2018. He went into the embassy in 2012 after losing his appeal against extradition to Sweden.

(For clarity's sake, I absolutely do not believe he should be extradited to the US, and now that the Swedes have dropped their extradition claim, once his sentence for breaching bail is up he should be released)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

My mum, who thread regulars will know is a UKIPper who campaigns for them and is the chair of their local branch, and loves brexit, and hates Corbyn,

Is thinking of voting Labour. :stare: this was unthinkable only last week when she was deriding their communist broadband stuff

But she's being won over by their green industrial revolution pledges and WASPI compensation promises

She wants to vote green, but it's Chipping Barnet, which is *super* LAB-CON marginal

loving hell

Update! I did it, i convinced her, she's voting labour

Someone hold me I'm gonna be sick

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

remember that not 2 days ago the guardian and beeb were crowing about the tories being 19 points ahead, and now it's 7. they do not know what they are talking about!!

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1199008413394571264

14 to 7 point with 2 and a half weeks to go.

we're in hung parliament territory

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

PawParole posted:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1199008413394571264

14 to 7 point with 2 and a half weeks to go.

we're in hung parliament territory

hung parliament you say, baw god is that the SNPs music???

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I envy people with a seat Labour can win within 3 hours travel.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1199011215177072640

:thunk:

(note: welsh)

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

My mum, who thread regulars will know is a UKIPper who campaigns for them and is the chair of their local branch, and loves brexit, and hates Corbyn,

Is thinking of voting Labour. :stare: this was unthinkable only last week when she was deriding their communist broadband stuff

But she's being won over by their green industrial revolution pledges and WASPI compensation promises

She wants to vote green, but it's Chipping Barnet, which is *super* LAB-CON marginal

loving hell
thought the WASPI stuff might bring a few over in that age group, good to see that it's working and both LD and Tory hosed it

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

If you don't mind a 13 inch screen, the Dell XPS 13 is probably your best option.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Well, that depends on which broken poll you use. But! If we accept a 5% pro Tory error as was last time, that's 2%.

And what we're seeing is the polls seem to have gone right since 2017.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

"Welsh brexit party voters were more Labour voters than Tory ones" seems a reasonable if unexpected take, the kind of thing polling is supposed to help with.

Also: I am now flying back to the UK early (for a job interview) and will be here for election night, which will be fun/soul destroying.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Ehhh, in TYOOL 2019 a “gaming laptop” isn’t nearly as ridiculous a thing as it was even 5 years ago, and for anyone in a typically-millenial one-room-and-a-water-closet rental situation they’re actually pretty handy in the same way a foldable bed or futon is, vs. the actual “portable gaming” use case that most people seem to assume they’d be used for. You can get something that’ll run most games made in the last couple of years fairly decently, if you don’t mind putting up with the black-and-red design hole that gaming accessories seem to have fallen down.

It's fair, I'm pretty out of touch at this point.

I went scouting for components the other month and you basically can't find RAM that doesn't have rainbow LEDs on it?? What good's that supposed to do inside a case, he said, before seeing all the cases have transparent sides now.

Still don't buy Alienware tho.

ThomasPaine posted:

Thanks! Yeah, Alienware is a dumb idea but they just look so cool lol. My living situation at present is sufficiently chaotic that I'm not really willing to go for a desktop. I'm likely to be moving flat in ~5 months and then probably again not long after that. Hurray for academia. I'm not made of money but I have a few grand in savings. Wouldn't really want to spend beyond the ~£1500 mark ideally, and it would need to be a solidly built machine that'll last me at least five years or so. I've heard Huawei is alright for the price? I've also noticed that getting an i9 processor adds to the price considerably, is this worth it over an i7?

Fair. I don't really have any advice to give on laptop brands, unfortunately. i9s: the CPU price/performance curve has an inflection point in it around the i5/i7 boundary, or it used to. I seriously doubt i9s are anywhere near worth what they cost, and it looks like the reviews agree with me on that. AMD sucked poo poo for a long, long time, but it looks like they might be lapping Intel right now, so maybe check them Ryzens out

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Americans didn't ask for him to be extradited until 2018. He went into the embassy in 2012 after losing his appeal against extradition to Sweden.

(For clarity's sake, I absolutely do not believe he should be extradited to the US, and now that the Swedes have dropped their extradition claim, once his sentence for breaching bail is up he should be released)

There's long been secret charges and extradition request on Assange. Some US prosecutor accidentally revealed it earlier this year when they used a related document as a template and hosed up editing.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

loving hell

:psyboom:

this season of the UK has finally jumped the shark

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Landslide Labour majority, calling it now

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/ladyhaja/status/1199007581907378177

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Junior G-man posted:

Does anyone know a good/reliable "who should I vote for?" quiz sites? Or a quick overview of the referendums?

Need something quick and easy for some relatives, and I can't just tell them Vote Labour.

I just tried the one hosted on uk.isidewith.com and it gave me

Green 94%
Labour 93%
Lib Dem 90%
Brexit Party 44%
Conservative 43%
UKIP 41%

Now I'm really curious as to how they hosed it this badly

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

CGI Stardust posted:

thought the WASPI stuff might bring a few over in that age group, good to see that it's working and both LD and Tory hosed it

Homeless veterans is also an issue close to her heart and she has made the astute observation that the Tories have done loving nothing

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Update! I did it, i convinced her, she's voting labour

Someone hold me I'm gonna be sick

Please let my prediction of Joris 1945-ing himself come true.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Thanks! Yeah, Alienware is a dumb idea but they just look so cool lol. My living situation at present is sufficiently chaotic that I'm not really willing to go for a desktop. I'm likely to be moving flat in ~5 months and then probably again not long after that. Hurray for academia. I'm not made of money but I have a few grand in savings. Wouldn't really want to spend beyond the ~£1500 mark ideally, and it would need to be a solidly built machine that'll last me at least five years or so. I've heard Huawei is alright for the price? I've also noticed that getting an i9 processor adds to the price considerably, is this worth it over an i7?

An XPS 13 is insanely powerful and portable and can be had for a little under 1k. It's not going to play any aggressively 3D games but it can handle grog games fine. If you want 3D another 600 will get you an eGPU.

Evidence: I have the 2015 model and I can run Starsector with many mods and it doesn't melt down.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Please let my prediction of Joris 1945-ing himself come true.
In the manner of Churchill or Hitler?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Every Sunday a bunch of people I know get together and we take it in turns to do a meal for everyone. It's like a family sunday roast for a bunch of degenerate bachelors that all have shared interests.

I've noticed that the talking points have moved from "Corbyn is unelectable" "Antisemitism" and "Unrealistic spending" to a lot of criticism of how the conservatives have been acting recently. A Tory I know has flipped Lib Dem, a Lib Dem I know who didn't like Corbyn has "conceded" to vote Labour to get the Tories out in this Lab/Con marginal, two people who didn't vote are now registering and voting for Labour and one guy didn't say his intentions but did seem impressed when I mentioned the grey book. My dad is a tough nut because he's involved in the local veterans scene who are railing against jam man for some reason but he seems to be listening to the responses I give to his criticisms. Mum said she'd vote Lib Dem from the start and I haven't moved her on that. I've explained the two horse race and that the LDs would just sell her vote again (she voted for them in 2010) but there you go. She's a nurse, though, and so is our local Labour candidate. Mum herself has said we need to bring bursaries back and increase funding so where I can I bring up these policies she had been talking about during the long Tory desert.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

You can get 5/1 on Boris losing his seat over at $Markets.

https://smarkets.com/event/4246682/politics/uk/next-uk-general-election/borisjohnson

edit:

Guavanaut posted:

<Insert "Can't we have both meme">

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I left it ambiguous on purpose. :unsmigghh:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

How long before Boris offers something to WASPIs he has no intention of carrying out?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Gavrilo Princip posted:

I just passed my viva (minor corrections), so I guess I'm now Dr Princip, theoretical physicist

drat, well done! That's huge, many congratulations :)

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Gavrilo Princip posted:

I just passed my viva (minor corrections), so I guess I'm now Dr Princip, theoretical physicist

congrats and condolences

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

xtothez posted:

How long before Boris offers something to WASPIs he has no intention of carrying out?
if he does it's going to look weak - it being in Labour's manifesto at launch shows they were doing it because they care and want to deliver trust and justice, rather than for immediate voter bribery (or that's the appearance :v:), so not having it in the Con manifesto shows they weren't that fussed and are following the Labour lead for votes. also who the gently caress trusts Bojob at this point, it'll be transparent

Gavrilo Princip posted:

congratulations Dr Princip!

the owl represents wisdom but is actually quite stupid in many ways. similar to academics, really

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/labour-campaigner-assault-arrest-election-hellaby-rotherham-yorkshire-a9216646.html

quote:

Labour supporter, 72, left in hospital after being attacked on doorstep while campaigning

An elderly Labour supporter was taken to hospital with a suspected broken jaw after he was attacked on a doorstep while campaigning in South Yorkshire.

The 72-year-old retired plasterer, who The Independent has chosen not to name, was allegedly assaulted by a man while canvassing in the village of Hellaby, in Rotherham, on Sunday afternoon.

Police have since arrested a 51-year-old man on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm (GBH).

Something something momentum thugs...

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
On Kuenssberg, the Mainstream Media and Vox Pops

quote:

Last night the BBC was reporting on the Conservative manifesto. This is a document whose most striking pledge is to fill in some of the potholes in roads that have proliferated due to massive cuts in local authority funding, and to give free hospital car parking to those visiting a terminally ill relative. Just think of the last one. How do you prove your relative is terminally ill? What if there is a chance they might get better? The administration of this system is going to require people to have some form of certificate or token that all hope is now lost. For the car park. The Tories are all heart.

As the News continued, Laura Kuenssberg told us that the battle lines between the parties are now clearly drawn, and the major division is over how much the government “should interfere in the economy”.

Interfere. Not intervene. Not regulate. Interfere. It is a very deliberate choice of word. Let me turn to the Oxford English Dictionary:

Interfere

1) Prevent from continuing or being carried out properly
2) Handle or adjust without permission
3) Become involved in something without being asked
4) Sexually molest

Words matter. Kuenssberg chose a word with powerful negative connotations and no possible positive meaning, to describe the alternative to the Tories. Kuenssberg talking of government interfering in, rather than intervening in, the economy is in itself a very strong and explicit declaration of Kuenssberg’s belief in an Ayn Rand, “Britannia unchained”, free market, ultra neo-liberal world view. To explicitly frame the choice in the election as between the Tories and “interfering” is just another example of the way the BBC slants their election coverage, permanently.

Now I started to draft an article three days ago, before that particular Kuenssberg propaganda masterclass.

Here is what I wrote as a draft three days ago:

“Maybe I am just unlucky. I have had television news bulletins transport me to hear vox-pops featuring former Labour voters in Dudley who now want to vote Conservative to GET BREXIT DONE. I have seen vox pops in fishing wharves in Peterhead and Grimsby, in dismal cafes in Hartlepool, in bingo halls in Yarmouth, in pubs back in Dudley, on high streets in Wakefield, in a shopping mall in Thurrock, in hardware stores back in bloody Dudley again. The country is full of people who want to GET BREXIT DONE, and who will NEVER VOTE LABOUR AGAIN.

The strange thing is that I have not seen a single vox pop from Richmond, featuring an educated woman who is switching from a lifetime of Tory voting because they have become a far right party and are going to crash the economy with hard Brexit. But there are many people like that in Richmond, and indeed all over London, and throughout much of southern England. They exist but are not worth vox-popping, apparently. Because they are not the broadcasters’ chosen “narrative”.

The BBC, ITN and Sky will doubtless defend the very obviously targeted demographic and destination of their “vox-pops” on the grounds that this is the “narrative” of the election. But that is a self-reinforcing prophecy. The public are relentlessly being told that what ordinary people want is to “GET BREXIT DONE” and to vote Tory. But that is actually only what about 40% of the people want. We just aren’t being shown the other 60% as the broadcasters focus relentlessly on areas with the highest leave vote, and on vox pop subjects with the least possible education.”

While that passage was atill on the stocks, last night, alongside the Kuenssberg analysis, the BBC gave us a vox pop from the Rother Valley that fitted perfectly the above description. It came from a Yorkshire Labour seat that voted Leave. It featured Labour voters who will now vote Conservative. The ladies interviewed were perfectly primed with precisely the main Tory slogans. A lady told us she wanted Boris so we could “get Brexit done and get on with domestic reforms”. Another ex-Labour voter told us she would vote for Boris because “he may not be trustworthy, but I like him”. Trust and likeability are two factors the pollsters regularly measure. It is important for the Tories that voters prioritise likeability over trust, because Johnson’s Trust numbers are appalling. How fortunate that the BBC happened to find a little old lady in the Rother Valley who could express this so succinctly!

Or maybe it is not so surprising. With the mainstream media as such a reliable echo chamber of public slogans, perhaps it is not surprising to find the public just echo them too, as they do in North Korea. The state media in the UK is of course not the only propaganda outlet. Billionaires control 87% of print news media by circulation, and are aggressively Tory for obvious reasons of self-interest.

This leads to the incredible circularity of the “Newspaper Reviews” that take up such a high proportion of broadcast news output. The broadcasters “review” the overwhelmingly right wing print media. And who do they invite to do the reviewing? Why the billionaire employed journalists of the overwhelmingly right wing print media, of course! So we have the surreal experience of watching journalists from the Times and the Spectator telling us how great an article in the Daily Mail is, about how Corbyn is a Russian spy and Scotland not really a country at all.

If that was not bad enough, we then get deluged by “commentators” from “think tanks” which are again billionaire funded, like the Institute of Economic Affairs and scores of others, sometimes with money thrown in from the security services, like the Quilliam Foundation and scores of others. It is a never-ending closed circular loop of propaganda.

The truth is that it largely works. Social media is overwhelmingly sceptical of the government narrative, but we still live in a society where the power of mass broadcasting and even print retains a remarkable amount of influence, particularly on the old and the poorly educated. It is no coincidence that it is precisely the old and the poorly educated that are the targets of Cummings’ “Brexit election” strategy. If it comes off, Kuenssberg and her fellow hacks will have proven that the power of the mainstream media is as yet unbroken.
Source: https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2019/11/interfering-with-laura-kuenssberg/

Never heard of this Craig Murray chap before (so apologies if I'm endorsing an article from Milkshake Duck) but I found this to be a good read.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
USPol, but Trump just called a surprise news conference and I’m getting unmoored from reality watching it:
https://mobile.twitter.com/jeffmason1/status/1199019645656862721

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Apraxin posted:

USPol, but Trump just called a surprise news conference and I’m getting unmoored from reality watching it:

The President has threatened several reporters he would sic Conan on them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ornedan posted:

There's long been secret charges and extradition request on Assange. Some US prosecutor accidentally revealed it earlier this year when they used a related document as a template and hosed up editing.

That was a sealed indictment, which isn't an extradition request. If it was extant at the time he went into the embassy, why was it not even mentioned by anyone - including Assange's legal team - until six years afterwards when the US finally did formally request extradition?

And I can't emphasise this enough - he requested asylum after losing his legal challenge to his extradition to Sweden.. He was walking around London a free man up until that point; why did he suddenly believe he was at risk of extradition to the US after losing that case? And if you want to go the rendition route, why did the risk of rendition suddenly become much higher after he lost that case?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Nonsense posted:

The President has threatened several reporters he would sic Conan on them.

lol that I genuinely can't tell if this is a joke or not

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Apraxin posted:

Something something Caligula's horse?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://mobile.twitter.com/tomedwardsbbchw/status/1199009976305496066
Took me a minute to realize this was two separate incidents :smith:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
This poo poo is why people like Rachel Riley and Weetman get me so riled up. They will never accept that they had a hand in creating this conditions for this violence, it's all just a funny game to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Does anyone know where I can get one or two A3 "Vote Labour" posters for my window?

The Labour website only seems to sell them in packs of 100 (!) and it's like £13.50 once you add delivery:
https://shop.labour.org.uk/product/a3-posters