Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

ZiegeDame posted:

You're not done until next summer when you put MHXX in the Extra slot.

but........ i was finally free.......... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A lot of weird talk because guda can make friends, apparently that's a super power to some people

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Tae posted:

A lot of weird talk because guda can make friends, apparently that's a super power to some people

There's a difference between "making friends" and being able to pull a "Yosuke will now DIE FOR YOU" on literally every character you meet, even those of wildly contrasting and seemingly incompatible temperaments

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Sophism posted:

Not really relevant though, since the end result is still that Gudao looks like a completely generic design straight out of a harem visual novel, whereas Gudako's design has actual personality.

That's just redhead bias.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm sad about all of the mystic codes I missed over the years that probably make Gudako even cuter than she is presently

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think mages and atlas are still probably the cutest ones tbh

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I like kimono and CCC on Gudako

Compendium fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 25, 2019

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Factor_VIII posted:

The MC would need to be extremely manipulative to manage something like that and I imagine that since Servants can interact in Chaldea they'd be able to figure out that Ritsuka was being a massive hypocrite. That would have made for a much more unique protagonist, but since Ritsuka is deliberately designed to be as bland and inoffensive as possible there's no way they'd run with it.
I have a dimension-hopping gadfly fan character that could possess Gudao's body on day 1 and foot this bill. He'd also qualify as a Foreigner Class. :getin:

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Do you start to wonder if there's even really a person under all the pathological gregariousness? Its a fun idea, and the adaptations all completely fail to engage with it.

Maybe Ritsuka is living like a dating sim protagonist who tries to max everyone's affection gauges.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Whatever version of Guda you choose to believe exists, they remain someone who endeed up saving the world because they answered a shady craiglist job ad.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Factor_VIII posted:

Maybe Ritsuka is living like a dating sim protagonist who tries to max everyone's affection gauges.

Now I'm tempted to draw an FGO version of this

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Grouchio posted:

I have a dimension-hopping gadfly fan character that could possess Gudao's body on day 1 and foot this bill. He'd also qualify as a Foreigner Class. :getin:

How can you possibly be so brave, so foolhardy, as to go on a public forum and post "Let me tell you about my cool and awesome Original Character."

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Good imo

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Crasical posted:

How can you possibly be so brave, so foolhardy, as to go on a public forum and post "Let me tell you about my cool and awesome Original Character."

Just lol if you don't think "wow that one would make for an awesome Servant" every time you learn about a new historical figure

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Still angrily waiting on berserker Jean Valjean.

Broshevik
Mar 25, 2011

No Pain
Rider Wright brothers

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Foreigner Rick Astley

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Avenger Jeff Bezos :D

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

rider catherine the great to compete with medb

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kyte posted:

A little while after part 1 ended, back in February 2017, DW issued a survey to their players. Among other questions, one was "which kind of media would you like FGO to expand to in the future". Another question was "which were your favorite chapters".

Winning options were TV anime, Camelot and Babylonia.

Fast forward a year and change. Anniversary 2018. FGO anime project gets announced.
Camelot movie, Babylonia anime series.

Soooooooooooooooooooo.
Yes.
This entire anime is Quite Literally made for those who were already fans.

The gacha money we paid was funneled into cool action setpieces. :v:

e: Come to think of it this is probably why Japan also got Babylonia and Camelot stage plays.
Okay yeah this seems to fit with what I suspected.

I guess I'm still a little surprised though because it seems to run counter to a how a lot of other animes function from what I understand, where say some light novel series or something will get a single cour anime adaptation that effectively only exists as an extended commercial to get people to buy the light novel source material.

Babylonia on the other hand starts with Episode 0 that I have to imagine alienated some newbies upfront that are coming to this from Zero or ufotable's UBW/Heaven's Feel adaptations or whatever.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
FGO is just kind of weird in how we ended up at this point. It had a bad start, game devs and Nasu actively worked to make it better and ad a result there's actual story chapters worth some substance and adaptation.

I'm not entirely sure what makes FGO that alienating aside from the fact that it's a gacha, but it's been around long enough that a little bit of digging tells what it's all about even without playing.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Is Caster Jeanne a feasible possibility based on the English accusations against her?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Compendium posted:

I'm not entirely sure what makes FGO that alienating aside from the fact that it's a gacha, but it's been around long enough that a little bit of digging tells what it's all about even without playing.

The fact the anime begins with arc before the finale and doesn't really bother to bring audience up to speed with story so far? Even Naruto would be alienating if the anime adaption began with second to last arc and didn't bother to explain poo poo. :shrug:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I have a couple friends who's only exposure to Fate are the anime adaptations and have been enjoying Babaylonia just fine. Anecdotal evidence I guess but it isnt completely impenetrable.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Fate doesn't really need an anime commercial like random LN #486, it's already huge. So an anime that's just the parts people liked, that also pushes merch, is totally fine and safe.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

A Bystander posted:

I cleared Shimousa! Aside from the last few bosses, the fighting was middling to annoying. The whole climax worked out perfectly and the end of it almost made me cry a little. I'm waiting for Salem now.

Just finished it up a few hours ago too. I feel the same way about it, and I found the ending surprisingly touching. I did have to Google quite a few characters that showed up, but hey, I ended up learning about some Japanese history so that's not bad. The battles were fair enough, but I gave up on trying to get the bond bonus for the boss duels.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The bond bonus is a trap when you consider that you get 99% of your bond comes from farming, its like the people that try and bring three bond bonus ces to every boss fight and lucksack through.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Haha yeah, those people are silly, heh, w-why would anyone ever do that...

Seriously though getting big meaty 3.5K bond points feels good. Especially if you're bringing in a new character and can actively see the gems getting filled up.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'll always CLT story nodes but yeah the bond bonus stuff has been stupid to me since they introduced it in shinjuku, definitely at its worst in shimosa.

at least salem gives a nice bump to the support casters you're dragging along for non-caster dps. looking to get my casgil bumped a ways up his 7th bond level.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

dogsicle posted:

i'll always CLT story nodes but yeah the bond bonus stuff has been stupid to me since they introduced it in shinjuku, definitely at its worst in shimosa.

at least salem gives a nice bump to the support casters you're dragging along for non-caster dps. looking to get my casgil bumped a ways up his 7th bond level.
since the holy trinity of support casters is bond 10 already, guessing that casgil and caster nero gonna get a lot of play

nitocris too, though she's almost at bond 10 for me

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
A while ago someone posted about how a lot of fans were open to crossovers with different non-Nasu IPs, and one that was brought up was BlazBlue. I had been thinking about this on and off for quite a while, so, uh, here's my (probably really badly balanced) idea for a BlazBlue Servant:

Ragna the Bloodedge
5* Saber
QAABB
MediumHP/HighATK

NP: Black Onslaught [Arts]: Deal significant damage to one enemy [level], with a chance of inflicting instant death [overcharge, 50-150%] and restore health [3000] for self.

Skill 1: Blood Kain: Increase own damage by [10-20%], and add chance [20-40%] to reduce opponent's charge by 1 to each attack, and heal self for [5-10%] of damage dealt, only against [non-undead] enemies, all for three turns. Reduce own health by [2500-1500] per turn at the start of the turn, for three turns [demerit]. Cooldown 7-5
Skill 2: Idea Engine: Improve own Arts effectiveness and NP Gain when attacking by [20-30%] for three turns. Increase own NP gauge by [5-15%] each turn for three turns. Cooldown 8-6
Skill 3: Azure Grimoire: Gain 10 critical stars. Apply Pierce Invuln and Sure Hit to self for one turn. Increase own NP strength and Crit Strength by [5-15%] for one turn. Remove damage cut buffs from all enemies (not defense buffs). Increase NP guage of all allies by [5-15%] Cooldown 12-10

Passives:
At the Boundary D: Apply Death immune. Increase Charm Resist by 40%. 2% chance to inflict instant death on each attack.
Magic Resistance E: Increase Debuff Resist by 10%
Existence Outside the Domain E: Gain 2 Critical Stars per turn. Increase Debuff Resist by 2%

Logic is mostly the progression of his powers through his series, his gameplay in his home series, and working together with Tamamo.
Blood Kain encourages you to be aggressive with him, as popping it and then not attacking means you lose a bunch of health, probably like 2/3s of his total at level 1, a bit less at higher levels. It is also pretty much his only form of sustain. The whole only effective against non-undead enemies is based on how it works in his series as well.
Idea Engine is meant to encourage you to use him like you would in his home games: building and burning meter rapidly. Therefore pump his NP gain like mad and entourage you to fire off his NP ASAP to use the color boost and get a big refund.
Azure Gimoire is a bit of a thing. Based mostly on the fact that he is now a servant who was known to have 'the Azure Grimoire' in life, even if it wasn't quite what it was made out to be, I figured I would give him the real thing, or at least my approximation. The Azure of his home series is, to my knowledge, basically something like a holy grail that can grant any wish, and in a lesser fashion create possibilities, which is what I'm going with. So I took Voyager of the Stars and applied more effects so it would be a massive power boost for a moment that could probably turn just about any battle around.

For his Passives, the low Magic Resist is based on him being a Saber (high natural resist) while having his own problems (attacks outside of logic are hard for him to heal), so the lowest possible level it was.
At the Boundry was just to good to pass up, based on his reaper theme and the fact that the Azure is within 'the Boundry'. I couldn't pass it up.
Existence Outside the Domain was based on what happens to him at the end of his own story. Maybe inappropriate usage, but I felt it may work.

Mostly I based everything around building and using meter, living fast and aggressively and riding around with Tamamo OG due to the Amaterasu angle.

I probably over tuned it but eh, I'm no game designer.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I can't wait for lina from slayers to be in FGO :D

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The only problem I have with crossovers is that there are still dozens and dozens of awesome historical figures and time periods to chose from. They shouldn't be hurting for ideas.

Related: I rolled my eyes at all the "dark Jesuit sorcery" in Shimousa, but then I looked and it turns out there actually is a book of Jesuit black magic. Apparently they were super into studying magic and witchcraft. Never say that Fate isn't educational.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

fate has taught me more about historical figures than the education system

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
I think it's more that FGO spurs my interest in historical figures rather than outright teaching me. Surprisingly, I've found it similar to the Civ franchises in that both games feature historical figures with gameplay aspects that reflect their actual histories. Very few other games have been responsible for me wasting an hlur or two in a Wikipedia dive.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
One of things I like most about Fate and FGO is those small little details that are actually historically accurate and so many of those are littered throughout the series. Like how Jaguarman really was a dude depicted in a jaguar pelt or that board game in the Babylonia anime is an actual thing. Or how the first ED in Fate/Zero were illustrations based on the actual art of that Servant cast. It's the little things.

Lt. Lizard posted:

The fact the anime begins with arc before the finale and doesn't really bother to bring audience up to speed with story so far? Even Naruto would be alienating if the anime adaption began with second to last arc and didn't bother to explain poo poo. :shrug:

I get the comparison, but it's not a very good one.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Vengarr posted:

Related: I rolled my eyes at all the "dark Jesuit sorcery" in Shimousa, but then I looked and it turns out there actually is a book of Jesuit black magic. Apparently they were super into studying magic and witchcraft. Never say that Fate isn't educational.
Yeah, it sounds silly but a lot of people forget that basically from late roman times up until the renaissance the idea of being an "intellectual", a historian or a philosopher or what have you, was basically synonymous with being a monk. The church was really the only organization in the west where literacy was common (especially Latin literacy, which all the classical texts were written in) and you had enough time to faff about with education. That changed over time as universities started to appear and there arose more chances for secular scientific work, but it's not a surprise that folks like the Jesuits kept those sorts of traditions going even until the modern day. :pseudo:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I want the Neil Armstrong servant mentioned and shown briefly in F/E. Sure, he's weak and got owned by Drake, but there's some fun you could have with his animations I think

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Dark Jesuit Sorcery is the best thing about Shimosa. Brought a smile to my face every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Dark Jesuit Sorcery is the best thing about Shimosa. Brought a smile to my face every time.

That's what I named my Kirishitan Japan game in Europa IV.