Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

A reversal!

https://twitter.com/BBCTech/status/1198952720834674689

Giphy claims they hosed up, not Disney, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

We ever see a hoodless Jawa? Maybe they've been Yodas this whole time and we never knew

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Hobo Clown posted:

We ever see a hoodless Jawa? Maybe they've been Yodas this whole time and we never knew

Mind. Blown.

You must have graduated from Jaward or something.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The Mandalorian talks about how hard it is to make money. He needs money to feed back to his people to help them keep going and sponsor foundlings. The Jawas don't need money

Jawas are in it for the game, yo.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Is the show taking place on tatooine?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is the show taking place on tatooine?

Nope

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Nucular Carmul posted:

Can someone help me out with what I'm missing in the Mandalorian? The protagonist really seems like he's just a protagonist doing protagonist things because he's a protagonist. It doesn't help that the few lines he gets are absolutely cookie cutter generic nonsense. Steps out of cover briefly to see the Schwarzenegger Special being rolled out, says "Okay..." because that's what people in media say when a situation gets more complicated unexpectedly. Guy uses a jetpack to go the same speed as a space craft looking to break atmosphere and go into orbit for a dumb salute so he can be the 23556th character to say "I gotta get me one of those." even though he never talks like that anywhere else. Also why is that jetpack guy wasting fuel to do a dumb salute? I got the impression Mandalorians are supposed to be tightly focused and don't do unnecessary poo poo and are just in general a very lawful sort of group. So why'd they go shoot up a whole rear end town and blow their cover? "ThiS iS tHe WaY" is not a loving explanation in any way. How'd they know it was their guy in a scrap? Why would they save him when he clearly got into a situation of his own making by betraying his employers and a whole rear end town? The whole premise of the protagonist saving the magic baby is shaky enough on its own, why is "the Empire did bad poo poo to us" justification for declaring war on some random backwater? Now they have to move and hide somewhere else because this dumbass got paid then regretted the job?

And don't get me started on the loving Jawas. We just out here reaming everything we know about them in the rear end because we have to have a scene to reveal that the magic baby is magic. We're really expected to believe the shrewd scavenger race who socially evolved to trade and loot since they're not great warriors are seriously going to give up a whole ship of salvage for an egg. That they're going to eat. Immediately. They really couldn't figure out how to gently caress up his ship then get him off the planet, the entire sequence feels like a major rear end pull from start to finish.

The whole show reeks of a very slimy corporate sheen. Hey you fuckin' nerds went bananas over Boba Fett right? Here's a whole show about those dudes, and we'll give you stormtroopers in the old uniforms, and it starts in a cantina with all the cool aliens! And there's jawas again, and hey here's a baby yoda thing, haven't you nerds always wondered about what species he is? We're gonna get into that, maybe! The writing is awful, every plot point is so transparent, I honestly wish it were animated because I literally watched three episodes of a Saturday morning cartoon. The protagonist is worse than a shonen anime hero. I feel like Roddy Piper in They Live. What are you guys seeing?

are you asking why a tight knit clan that was decimated and cares about each member would go out and rescue one of theirs? The jetpack guy flying away was telling mando that he will always have their support and that the clan got away safely from the battle.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
No no no, I think he's asking why is the main character who was ripped away from his parents by the mechanisms of the Empire so concerned with merely an orphan child when he was faced with giving that kid over to the former Empire. I mean, why should he even care?

Anyways, the answer is eggs.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everyone has a different line they won't cross.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Three episodes is all it took before the tide turns and goons will soon begin posting

quote:

I thought this episode was garbage, personally

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are some legendarily bad tv watchers on here.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

JBP posted:

I think he was pissed that Greef was holding some of his precious cultural material. If he had a pile of cash it'd be whatever good for you.

Yeah maybe. Though didn't he get paid in Beskar for taking in Horation Sanz? Just like, a lot less? Anyways, not a big deal.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The blue guy from e1? He got paid in Mon Calamari flan.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Being against Egg is not the way.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Here is some fish money, for the tribe. This is the Way.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
They should pay him in blue milk.

This is the Whey.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I wonder if the jelly coins are edible.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The one shot in the sandcrawler where the Jawa slowly turns to Mando and exclaims SOUGA and he just sighs is probably my favourite moment in this show.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

FBS posted:

This show is great. The worst thing about it so far is that two dudes in the desert rebuilding a starship that's had half the hull disassembled by Jawas really seemed implausible.
It took a few Jawas like a minute-and-a-half to strip those parts, so it kinda' stands to reason two dudes could put them all back.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am on the Mudhorne Eggs are drugs to Jawas train.

Also its like, maybe baby Yoda is going to be chopped up too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The conversation that Herzog and Pershing were having about the “he” who hired them to do the job leads me to craft a theory about the “he” being Paul Saltines needing Baby Yoda’s midichlorians to recover from Death Star II..

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

It took a few Jawas like a minute-and-a-half to strip those parts, so it kinda' stands to reason two dudes could put them all back.

I mean Luke pulls a space F-35 that had been marinating a few days out of a swamp and without a maintenance crew or hangar supplies has it up and spaceworthy.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

I was briefly annoyed by Jawas being on another planet, with a Sandcrawler, but I have a fuzzy memory of "jawas are basically rats" and "sandcrawlers are just construction equipment on a bunch of planets"

Oh well, it's neat to see them actually re-use a species and spaceship from the OT. Wasn't there a rumor that the current trilogy couldn't use Actual Tattooine, Actual Yoda Species, Actual Tie Fighters, etc because they'd have to pay Lucas?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Nucular Carmul posted:

I see your overall point, but this statement feels really weird in particular. They make a big deal about how hard it is to make money when he's complaining about how a bounty won't even cover its own costs in fuel. There was a point about money that was made, but then they just toss it aside for a cool egg with the jawa scene. I get that I'm reading too much into it, but they themselves bothered to talk about money problems earlier in the show, it just seems weirdly dissonant.

The Vikings used to send dozens of guys off in rowboats facing the very real possibility of death to other continents for rare delicacies like walnuts. Maybe they're just a super yummy rare treat. Maybe Jawas just really like taking some selfies to send to other sandcrawler crews give them bragging rights. Maybe they need to eat an egg a month to survive due to space biology, but it's risky and they saw a chance to get somebody else to make this months quota for them. Basically if you're splitting hairs looking for problems with the show it's not a big step to split some for solutions.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Hm? They need the egg for boner pills, obviously

I thought that was a given

They didn't need mudhorn on Tatooine because there was enough bonercilin in the air supply

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oh well, it's neat to see them actually re-use a species and spaceship from the OT. Wasn't there a rumor that the current trilogy couldn't use Actual Tattooine, Actual Yoda Species, Actual Tie Fighters, etc because they'd have to pay Lucas?

It's all bullshit and makes absolutely no sense if you think about it for than two seconds. Disregarding all the other existing usages of all those species, droids, fighters and planets in the wide Star Wars media landscape. Disney wanted to be able to broadly put their own stamp on the series, but couldn't get beyond the trappings many times. So you get a hodge podge of "We'll mention X and Y, but using Z is pushing it, so we'll do something like Z, but call it K! Brilliant!"

It's just lazy story telling most times (Looking at JJ here). For all the crap TLJ gets, Johnson actually pushed things a bit with Cantonica and Crait. Rogue One and Solo also gave us some planetary twists. Favreau seemed like he might have been retreading OT waters, but he's been adding some tweaks to the familiar format. i.e. Ice world, rather than snow world, Mud world, rather than desert world, etc.

Teek fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 25, 2019

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I'm dippin' my tip in that egg goop.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hm? They need the egg for boner pills, obviously

I thought that was a given

They didn't need mudhorn on Tatooine because there was enough bonercilin in the air supply

I think that was covered in the Captain Otterpawsforhandz McSpacefighterpylot Trilogy.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I thought it was just hilariously anticlimactic how they give Mando this incredibly difficult quest only to take the egg and chow down on it. Reminds me of an ending to a Samurai Jack episode.

Smashmouth utinni suga!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Frankenstyle posted:

The Vikings used to send dozens of guys off in rowboats facing the very real possibility of death to other continents for rare delicacies like walnuts. Maybe they're just a super yummy rare treat. Maybe Jawas just really like taking some selfies to send to other sandcrawler crews give them bragging rights. Maybe they need to eat an egg a month to survive due to space biology, but it's risky and they saw a chance to get somebody else to make this months quota for them. Basically if you're splitting hairs looking for problems with the show it's not a big step to split some for solutions.

Jawas are just chaotic lunatics and that's fine.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Panfilo posted:

I thought it was just hilariously anticlimactic how they give Mando this incredibly difficult quest only to take the egg and chow down on it.

This was exactly the point. Please have fun and enjoy this fun show.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

JBP posted:

Jawas are just chaotic lunatics and that's fine.

In my mind they're those hooded crushed zombie dwarves from the Phantasm movies and every sandcrawler is lorded over by an Angus Scrimm clone.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I bet y'all thought this was an anticlimactic side quest too

Sometimes if you want xp, you gotta get the egg

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Episode art
https://twitter.com/themandalorian/status/1199070357593837569?s=19

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Weedle posted:

I'm dippin' my tip in that egg goop.

This is the way.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Gonz posted:

The conversation that Herzog and Pershing were having about the “he” who hired them to do the job leads me to craft a theory about the “he” being Paul Saltines needing Baby Yoda’s midichlorians to recover from Death Star II..

Eh, Giancarlo Esposito plays a big Imperial baddie in this and we haven't seen him yet. I bet he's the "he".

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Gonz posted:

Oh boy I hope not.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mando is just Star Wars Western for Gringo.

Discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

evilmiera posted:

Mando is just Star Wars Western for Gringo.

Discuss.

I thought he was Lando's brother