Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I heard from YouTube in the reshoots they've replaced Rose from Star Wars with Rose from Golden Girls, she's playing the original Roses meemaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I heard from YouTube in the reshoots they've replaced Rose from Star Wars with Rose from Golden Girls, she's playing the original Roses meemaw

I don't know if the franchise can handle TWO Golden Girls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6K6ETASu1E

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's Bea Arthur, that isn't Dorothy Zbornak. If she's anyone she's Maude Findlay

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
they fly now

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

sassassin posted:

they fly now

THEY FLY NOW??!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

AndyElusive posted:

THEY FLY NOW??!

They fly now!

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Appalled as ever by the resistance's lack of basic knowledge about the capabilities of the enemy. Truly, they deserve the explosion via 10 trillion death star star destroyers that they're going to get

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

They fly, NOW!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I get how threepio is surprised bc he's an old man that hasn't been out in the field for awhile but why is finn surprised lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ingmar terdman posted:

I get how threepio is surprised bc he's an old man that hasn't been out in the field for awhile but why is finn surprised lol

Isn't this the first time anyone not named Fett has had a rocket pack thing in the movies

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Poe is probably the closest thing the resistance has to a leader at this point if you count out zombie leia and nien nunb, you would hope he would be aware of basic equipment deployed to random stormtroopers when in combat engagements. He is responsible for these people's lives and he has failed them

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ingmar terdman posted:

It reasons to believe that back when Finn was a Stormtrooper they didn't fly.

They fly now.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

No Mods No Masters posted:

Poe is probably the closest thing the resistance has to a leader at this point if you count out zombie leia and nien nunb, you would hope he would be aware of basic equipment deployed to random stormtroopers when in combat engagements. He is responsible for these people's lives and he has failed them

Wrong, he's there to follow orders from whoever else shows up to say they're in charge now

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

the jet troopers and their launch mechanism are sweet, classic toy troopers

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Jerkface posted:

the jet troopers and their launch mechanism are sweet, classic toy troopers

It only took 3 movies, a huge team of supposedly top tier filmmakers, and untold millions of dollars for us to get a couple of new images/ideas!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Those baby yoda gifs are fair use

Imho

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

nemesis_hub posted:

It only took 3 movies, a huge team of supposedly top tier filmmakers, and untold millions of dollars for us to get a couple of new images/ideas!

The set piece is also a glaringly obvious Fury Road rip-off. Great dialogue btw. And what memorable sound design.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I like how The Clone Wars movie gave us a baby Hutt, and The Mandalorian is giving us a baby Yoda.

It's like poetry. It rhymes.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Also, by the guy who keeps talking about destroying the past being full of poo poo.

Also, the thing the villain says is rarely the moral of the story.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

Also, the thing the villain says is rarely the moral of the story.

but that kinda leads to some circular logic when he's only shown to be the villain once he says the past needs to be discarded

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

but that kinda leads to some circular logic when he's only shown to be the villain once he says the past needs to be discarded

Maybe kinda, but I don't think so. Regardless of his internal conflict, he's been shown to be *a* villain since TFA. He aims to and succeeds in overthrowing *the* villain, who basically exists to be usurped so Kylo can become *the* villain. Never mind that he's visually coded as the villain throughout, and while TLJ is having fun with subversion, it's not extending that subversion to Star Wars' visual rhetoric.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Brother Entropy posted:

Does TLJ ever actually show the First Order do anything villainous?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

they target those unarmed ships full of retreating enemies that were supposed to be a secret, that might be kind of war crime-y?

that's all i can think of though

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

man, that post got me thinking about everything that happens in TLJ and like, outside of a couple of deaths very little happens in that film that actually sticks. beyond the obvious two of snoke and luke everyone else is basically where they were at the end of TFA, despite some brief flirtations at character arcs that get walked back or ultimately ignored.

we can't say 100% until TROS is out but i'm pretty confident someone could just straight up skip watching TLJ and only be told 'rey trained with luke then he died, kylo killed snoke' and end up perfectly fine. what a pointless film

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

To be sure more important things than that happened (rey's parents "twist", first order conquered entire galaxy, all but 8 rebels dead, character arcs of various non luke/snoke characters, etc. etc.) but they will be ignored by JJ. So yes in practice that summary works

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

Trying to exterminate the Resistance, Force torturing Rey, attempting to cruelly execute Finn and Rose, promising to not just kill Luke but level Aach-To.

But also, it's already been established that they're villains capable of great villainy in the first film. We don't really need a reset on that.

Brother Entropy posted:

man, that post got me thinking about everything that happens in TLJ and like, outside of a couple of deaths very little happens in that film that actually sticks. beyond the obvious two of snoke and luke everyone else is basically where they were at the end of TFA, despite some brief flirtations at character arcs that get walked back or ultimately ignored.

we can't say 100% until TROS is out but i'm pretty confident someone could just straight up skip watching TLJ and only be told 'rey trained with luke then he died, kylo killed snoke' and end up perfectly fine. what a pointless film

I disagree. We see all our principles grow as characters. Rey begins the film as someone who is still looking for a hero. She ends the film understanding that she is the only hero she needs. Finn begins the film committed to nothing but saving Rey and himself. He ends the film being committed to the Resistance and willing to sacrifice himself to that commitment. Poe begins the film as the cocky ace. He ends the film as the humbled leader who no understands the cost of sacrifice. Kylo beings the film conflicted between the Light and Dark and unsure of his position in the (First) Order. He ends the film no longer conflicted between the Light and Dark and certain of his position of Supreme Leader.

Sure they're not complex character evolutions, but they are growth. And considering that this is a franchise where "Han went from shooting an enemy to helping his friend" counts as a character arc, I'd say they're significant.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Brother Entropy posted:

I'm now convinced that TROS is gonna be a sequel to TFA, only with Snoke swapped for Palpatine and Luke swapped for Leia. Nothing in TLJ sticks because they hit the reset button in the 4th act of the film and somehow managed to revert the status quo back to where it was at the beginning.

I have never fully recovered from the trauma caused by the salt planet act.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Brother Entropy posted:

they target those unarmed ships full of retreating enemies that were supposed to be a secret, that might be kind of war crime-y?

that's all i can think of though

It's not warcrime-y at all to shoot at retreating enemies. Surrendered enemies, yes. But retreating enemies are retreating so they can attack you again later.

:actually:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I hope whoever was trying to sell that script at least took pictures and will release them

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Abrams is saying that TRoS is complete

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/11/25/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-movie-clip-revealed

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh and apparently a real TRoS script was left under an actor's bed and ended up on eBay, but Disney/Lucasfilm bought it back

https://www.thewrap.com/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-script-leaked-onto-ebay-after-actor-left-it-under-their-bed/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This snippet from an interview with Abrams definitely doesn't bode well for TRoS

quote:

“Well, when you look at this as nine chapters of a story, perhaps the weirder thing would be if Palpatine didn’t return,” Abrams said. “You just look at what he talks about, who he is, how important hie is, what the story is - strangely, his absence entirely from the third trilogy would be conspicuous.”

Abrams revealed how even when he and frequent Star Wars screenwriter Larry Kasdan were working on Force Awaken, they took into consideration the whole history and future of Star Wars; including Palpatine. “That’s not to say there was a bible and we knew what happens at every step. But when Larry Kasdan and I worked on The Force Awakens, we didn’t do it in a vacuum. We purposely looked at what came before.”

One other tidbit from the interview is how Abrams and Kasdan didn’t have to work around Rian Johnson’s story in The Last Jedi for Rise of Skywalker. Abrams read Johnson’s script and “realized this didn’t get in the way of anything Larry and I talked about that I thought I’d get to.” And now that Abrams is working on the ninth episode he can do things that were “talked about five years ago.”

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/11/26/star-wars-jj-abrams-on-why-it-would-be-weird-to-not-have-palpatine-in-rise-of-skywalker

Clearly based on what he says there, it didn't matter to his plans that Snoke got killed off which to me just makes that character even more of a waste of time

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Can't get in the way of plans if you don't have plans.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Sheev forever. Sheev in all trilogies

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

doomisland posted:

Sheev forever. Sheev in all trilogies

Doomisland gets it. :hfive:

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
"Abrahams went on to say, 'In the Mario games, Bowser kidnaps Princess Peach every single game, and the fans love it. I thought, why can't we do the same with Star Wars?'"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

TerminalRaptor posted:

"Abrahams went on to say, 'In the Mario games, Bowser kidnaps Princess Peach every single game, and the fans love it. I thought, why can't we do the same with Star Wars?'"

J. Jonah Abrahams needs pictures of Starwarsman, stat!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1199093898779348993?s=21

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Take a drink every time star wars is onscreen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

JJ, buddy, we know you looked at what came before. We know because you plagiarized it wholesale