Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Are there typically noteworthy Black Friday deals on smokers?

Check Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. Just looking at my local area, there are a bunch of Masterbuilt electrics up for $50-100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

So this past weekend I decided to familiarize myself with the spatchcock technique and see if I can use my Brinkmann Professional charcoal grill instead of my MES for a Thanksgiving turkey. Here is what this grill looks like:

( I picked up mine at a garage sale for less than $20)

Each side has a charcoal grate that can be raised or lowered independently. There’s also a removable divider in the middle.

I trialed it by using fresh whole chicken, spatchcocked and seasoned. I built a charcoal fire on one side and places the chicken on the other side. Then I lit my amazen pellet smoker and threw that inside. I removed the divider as well. I’m using natural lump charcoal.

All these websites say you can smoke a spatchcocked bird with indirect grilling in a short amount of time (like an hour or two). But it took a good 5 hours to get an average sized chicken up to the final temp. Multiply that out to a 22+ lb turkey sounds like it would take forever. The meat was amazingly delicious, but I’m worried about timing for Thanksgiving. Should I give up on the idea and throw the whole bird (not spatchcocked) into my MES? I’m pretty sure it won’t fit in there spatchcocked. Or should I just get up really really early to get the bird on and tend to the charcoal all day? Or spatchcock and grill a while, then finish in the oven?

The thermometers on the lid of the grill showed about 500-600 on the fire side and around 225-250 on the bird side, maxing out around 300 initially. But I am not sure how accurate they are. I am considering moving the bird closer to the middle to get more heat, or possibly throwing an old blanket over the grill to insulate it better. Any ideas?

Ah, I think everyone uses high temps for poultry, like 325 to 350 even. 225 would take a lot longer, but even that seems *very* long for a normal 4-5 pound chicken to get up to 150 in the breast.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I had made way too much brisket a while back so I took a flat, chopped it up into 1 inch cubes, then froze it. Just defrosted it and made beef stew out of it in the Instant Pot.

Pretty drat good, I must say. The wife texted her family bragging about it. So if you have extra brisket... just an idea I thought I'd share!

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Internet Explorer posted:

too much brisket

:thunk:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I made 2 full packer briskets. Took one in for the folks in my department and that was lunch for the entire department for 2 days. The other point was 3 days worth of meals for the wife and I, then I froze the flat.

It was a glorious amount of meat, but it was indeed too much.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

The thermometers on the lid of the grill showed about 500-600 on the fire side and around 225-250 on the bird side, maxing out around 300 initially. But I am not sure how accurate they are. I am considering moving the bird closer to the middle to get more heat, or possibly throwing an old blanket over the grill to insulate it better. Any ideas?

What are the vents like? Is there anything to force convection of air from the fire side to the bird side? Ideally you'd want to open a top vent on the bird side and close the top vent on the fire side, so you force the smoke and hot air to travel over the bird.

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Canuckistan posted:

What are the vents like? Is there anything to force convection of air from the fire side to the bird side? Ideally you'd want to open a top vent on the bird side and close the top vent on the fire side, so you force the smoke and hot air to travel over the bird.

There are no adjustable vents on it. There's a gap along the back of the lid that has sort of a flange that sticks out, the gap is maybe about an inch wide and 3/4 of the length of the grill long. There are holes on either side of the grill designed to hold a rotisserie as well, and some smoke comes out of those as well. I'll get some proper photos when I get home. I'm leaning toward just throwing it in my MES so I don't gently caress up the timing of Thanksgiving at this point.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Internet Explorer posted:

I had made way too much brisket a while back so I took a flat, chopped it up into 1 inch cubes, then froze it. Just defrosted it and made beef stew out of it in the Instant Pot.

Pretty drat good, I must say. The wife texted her family bragging about it. So if you have extra brisket... just an idea I thought I'd share!

I do this too but I put it in my chili.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Trastion posted:

I do this too but I put it in my chili.

I might have posted this before, but I made this for a chili cook-off and won:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKNk0tLGEpc

It's really, really good. Use less sugar than he recommends though.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My turkey is spatched and prepped.

This pot is metal and we weren’t sure if it was reactive or not, so we lined it with clean trash bags.

Bonus cool thing:

This bell is apparently a family heirloom. It was a dinner bell that belonged to my grandmother that she used to call my dad and his siblings to meals. Supposedly it dates back to at least the early 1900s. It’s still in use to this day.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dango Bango posted:

Awesome, will have to try this next time. Thank you.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Just want to say, for those doing a turkey today, I wish you all the best and enjoy the times with your family and friends.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Colostomy Bag posted:

Just want to say, for those doing a turkey today, I wish you all the best and enjoy the times with your family and friends.

What about those of us doing briskets?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

ada shatan posted:

What time is supper, and can I bring anything?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Colostomy Bag posted:

I’ll try.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Dango Bango posted:

Yo I'm not a huge chili lover, but that recipe looks incredible. I'll have to try it one of these days.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I. M. Gei posted:

I’ll try.

Tell us hi to your uncle.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

ada shatan posted:

yeah well im doing brisket AND turkey what now

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is this a worthwhile first electric smoker? Or is it hot garbage?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-Vertical-Digital-Electric-Smoker-DGU732BDE-D/301737755

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Gwaihir posted:

yeah well im doing brisket AND turkey what now

Next step is to add a rack of ribs and ascend to the heavens.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeahhhhh

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 28, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

ada shatan posted:

Next step is to add a rack of ribs and ascend to the heavens.

Amateur. Try a frozen lasagna.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

I can't say anything about that model specifically, but Dyna-Glow is just a maker of bottom-barrel grills. An electric smoker isn't exactly rocket science, but I'd trust a Masterbuilt a bit more and one of the 30" models will almost certainly drop to a lower price than that on Amazon, etc. this weekend. The major thing in Masterbuilt's favor is that they've traditionally been very good about having parts in stock if you need to replace something.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks, glad you talked me out of an impulse buy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I know there was some talk of turkey and electric smokers and skin crispiness. So these were in the MES 30 for 2 hours at 275. To me this seems crispy enough. I'll probably throw them in the over for another hour or so at 350, but really only to see what I've been missing out on.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
My MES30 cranked up gets to 310ish inside, never trust that little computer.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My turkey smoke went perfectly. Pics coming soon.

EDIT: I’m waiting for the pics to download to my iPad. Wifi is almost nonexistent out here so it’s taking awhile.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 29, 2019

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?

Smoked this turkey in my MES 30. Around 9 hours total. Used the beer can chicken method, using a large can of Fosters beer up the rear end of the turkey, poured halfway out. Rubbed herbed butter under the skin. Cranked up the temperature to the max for the last hour. This resulted in nice crispy skin all over the bird. Pulled at internal temp of 175. Used the amazen pellet smoker as well.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright you all have convinced me an MES is the way to go.

Now to just find a deal on a 40”.

Tractor supply club has the 340g for $229 but it says none are in stock.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

nwin posted:

Alright you all have convinced me an MES is the way to go.

Now to just find a deal on a 40”.

Tractor supply club has the 340g for $229 but it says none are in stock.

Not sure if the 340g is better, but Amazon has this:
Masterbuilt MB20074719 Mes 140g Bluetooth Digital Electric Smoker, 40" Stainless + Window + BT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NQPLB19/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Mhh4DbKQZRVTF

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
How was Thanksgiving at Uncle Gei's

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Masterbuilt MB20074719 Mes 140g Bluetooth Digital Electric Smoker, 40" Stainless + Window + BT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NQPLB19/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Mhh4DbKQZRVTF

Yeah I saw that one too. According to the old guys on another forum, the 340g has more even heat distribution. I’ll wait to see if it comes in stock tomorrow and then likely pull the trigger on either one of them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

First smoked turkey turned out amazing. Brined it yesterday and smoked it for 4-5 hours today.

One of my kids said it was the best thanksgiving ever.

Even my 8mo old twins got in on the action:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Little Bam-Bam Flintstone in the making there

mr.sassypants
Aug 25, 2004

Who dropped the duck?
20 lb bird on a WSM

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BeastOfExmoor posted:

So it looks like it’s going to be this one (140g for $229)-tractor supply club doesn’t even list the 340g anymore. They have a 440 listed for $349, but at that price I can get this pellet smoker:

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...60:10451:320230

Haven’t read too much about pellet grills but this one seems pretty great from what I’ve read. Just not sure I need to pull the trigger on that if an electric for $229 should work good too. I think the only benefit would be the higher temps to finish stuff with.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Apparently they only deliver to the roadside

130kg. gently caress

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Time to bust the pallet jack out of the garage.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

nwin posted:

So it looks like it’s going to be this one (140g for $229)-tractor supply club doesn’t even list the 340g anymore. They have a 440 listed for $349, but at that price I can get this pellet smoker:

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...60:10451:320230

Haven’t read too much about pellet grills but this one seems pretty great from what I’ve read. Just not sure I need to pull the trigger on that if an electric for $229 should work good too. I think the only benefit would be the higher temps to finish stuff with.

You realize that in the amount of time you've been hemming and hawing about a smoker you could have purchased one and used it multiple times to determine whether it suited your needs and probably sold it if it didn't, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Blinkz0rz posted:

You realize that in the amount of time you've been hemming and hawing about a smoker you could have purchased one and used it multiple times to determine whether it suited your needs and probably sold it if it didn't, right?

Thanks dick