Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

TheAgent posted:

it completely is. ultimately you'd want a tool with very little visual noise and having 3d textured planets is just straight up loving stupid

obviously this is all for the backers

Just as a reminder, Frontier Developments used Excel as a visualisation tool when developing their ground breaking galaxy simulation tool for Elite: Dangerous, the Stellar Forge.

Clearly a bunch of useless hacks who know nothing about game developement...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

You can aaaaalllllmost hear the subtle "gently caress NO"

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

:drat:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mu77ley posted:

Just as a reminder, Frontier Developments used Excel as a visualisation tool when developing their ground breaking galaxy simulation tool for Elite: Dangerous, the Stellar Forge.

Clearly a bunch of useless hacks who know nothing about game developement...

Word on the street is the BGS was actually contracted out because nobody at Frontier actually expected it to matter, then when their playerbase started straddling the thing as “the only method to meaningfully interact with the game in a persistent fashion” they were left scrambling because nobody there actually knew how it worked :ssh:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Hav posted:

The struggle is real, comrade. Their freedom of speech against our fully automated luxury gay space communism.

Dolvak’s conspiracy to suppress the truth of his crimes will only deepen my resolve.

Did Erin even show up this year? Was he just drinking and jawboning with the customers the whole time?

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

*Pre alpha work in progress tech demo*

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

These are cool and good

(Tonks in 2020 will change everything. I can feel it.)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Crob actually allowed devs to go with easier, functional solutions instead of stupid convoluted ones for "realism"'s sake? Whoa!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Word on the street is the BGS was actually contracted out because nobody at Frontier actually expected it to matter, then when their playerbase started straddling the thing as “the only method to meaningfully interact with the game in a persistent fashion” they were left scrambling because nobody there actually knew how it worked :ssh:

Should have known something was up when they didn’t use its real acronym:

BS

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

Dolvak’s conspiracy to suppress the truth of his crimes will only deepen my resolve.

Did Erin even show up this year? Was he just drinking and jawboning with the customers the whole time?

Erin was MIA, probably spending yet another 20hrs day at the offi... hahaha.(just like Sandi)

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

What is this about?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

tuo posted:

Seeing the post above of the actual actor, I understand that the overall look seems to be close to the real actor, but playing the game, and seeing the other actors (humans or non-humans) he somehow always stood out to me as "that's a game dude" in contrast to "that's a 3d scanned actor doing mocap". I can't remember a single cutscene where he looked as natural as the others. The game overall imo needed a couple of weeks of polish to really stand out, but I assume they had to release it to fullfill some contract stuff with Disney.

It's definitely just the way he looks. The game has a lot of animation jank and silly technical issues (a cutscene in the ship where his poncho and Cere's coat were still acting like they were out in gale-force winds was hilarious) but it keeps the framerate up and is genuinely fun to play. This is also a very strange thread to bring up that they should have delayed it for fidelity. ;)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

What I like about this pic, photoshopped or not, is the continual deliberate misuse of "alpha" by both CIG and the backers as a good way to excuse the state of the game.

The fact is, if you've gotten as far as releasing a true "alpha" state of the game, and it sucks as bad as this, then you have nothing of value and you need to go back to the drawing board.

For a "game" as openly horrible as Star Citizen, I'd extend that to pre-alpha as well. The core fun idea should work almost right away, but they have nothing. Star Citizen is a body without a soul.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hi guys, remember how Warframe showed off Fortuna, Kuva Liches and Railjack in the past two years at their Tennocons? Well the idiots at DE pulled a rookie mistake and put the first two into the game, and the third one is coming in the pipe. Railjack will have three parts, and the first one has been released: the one where players build a drydock in their clan dojo and then begin building the Railjack itself. Word on the street is that you can enter your spaceship when you're done.

We expect that we will be able to fly it in about a month, that will be part 2. This will be us versus the current bad guy factions in the game, typical Tenno v Grineer and Tenno v Corpus stuff.

Part 3 is promised to be a major expansion, likely featuring Railjack exploration and having us fend off a major antagonist faction who will be arriving in full force. I can't say who they are because the fanbase will nail me to a cross for breaking the masquerade.

Here is my Railjack, 4/6 of the way completed. Since goons painted the drydock hot pink, it too is pink though the colours will be customizable as it is player account-based not clan-based.

And here is my guy standing on the right "horn" for scale

In front of the giant cylinder on top

On the right wing, currently being rebuilt (unskippable 12 h timer per part, f2p games what can you do)

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 25, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

bonus meme:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

GET OUT OF MY SOL SYTEM!

you are sytematically making fun of cloud emporium and star citisn't you fudspreader!!!!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SSNeoman posted:

Hi guys, remember how Warframe showed off Fortuna, Kuva Liches and Railjack in the past two years at their Tennocons? Well the idiots at DE pulled a rookie mistake and put the first two into the game, and the third one is coming in the pipe. Railjack will have three parts, and the first one has been released: the one where players build a drydock in their clan dojo and then begin building the Railjack itself. Word on the street is that you can enter your spaceship when you're done.

Man, it's a shame that I find Warframe a grindy bore to play, because some of the stuff they're putting in the game is so, so cool.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Excerpt from the 1993 Core Design Interview, Computer Gaming on its transition to CDs and more compute power.

The legendary Mark Avory (a skilled dev, not a failure like CR) said:
„You’ve got to strike a balance between getting the game out and putting a lot in.

Development and business practice since the early 16 Bit games and tech.

Meanwhile, 26 years later in 2019, Clown Incompetence noGames just ignores every unwritten rule, expertise and knowledge and lessons learned because the Citizens just keep on buying jpegs. It’s hilariously tragic.

Mr.PayDay fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 25, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Regrettable posted:

Jesus, these people are completely creatively bankrupt. Like, that's literally just fake Jeremy Clarkson. They copied most of his face, clothing, his paunch, even his loving laugh. And then they went ahead and put the Stig in there too as if it wasn't already obvious enough. Chris has never had a single imaginative thought in his entire life.

lol did you not see the ones they did in 2014? They were straight up called 'Galactic Gear' and ripped off the intro and everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SpsjUHj_II

They also went right ahead and switched it to 'Galactic Tour' after Amazon picked up the show. I'm amazed they didn't get sued by the BBC, but I can't help but wonder if Amazon told them to gently caress off, prompting the name change to whatever it's called now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMGs63MsSBI

Sabreseven posted:

Quick drive by with a little something I've been working on :)

Edit; resized

Reminds me of the cover I made... holy gently caress four years ago?!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

This is real.

:moonrio:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon is pretty fed up with SC being the only notable Lumberyard project ongoing and how bad it makes their engine look.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

lol did you not see the ones they did in 2014? They were straight up called 'Galactic Gear' and ripped off the intro and everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SpsjUHj_II

They also went right ahead and switched it to 'Galactic Tour' after Amazon picked up the show. I'm amazed they didn't get sued by the BBC, but I can't help but wonder if Amazon told them to gently caress off, prompting the name change to whatever it's called now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMGs63MsSBI

Reminds me of the cover I made... holy gently caress four years ago?!

Four years ago? gently caress :D

At least CInotG have managed to keep the "T-pose" as the offical salute :D

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The Kickstarter comments for Star Citizen are pretty good

quote:

Hello to anyone visiting this comment section.

It has been 2,407 days since Cloud Imperium Games has made any response about Star Citizen on Kickstarter. In case you're wondering what that is in normal terms, it has been about six and a half years. Many after it was supposed to have come out.

In addition to Kickstarter refuses to hold Cloud Imperium Games accountable. I used to be an avid user of Kickstarter. Once I realized they do not hold anyone accountable to their terms of service, I stopped using them.

I would advise anyone to not support Kickstarter or Cloud Imperium Games. Thank you for listening to my monthly installment of reminders.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is their logo a ram, or a stoat with an old motorcycle helmet?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

Is their logo a ram, or a stoat with an old motorcycle helmet?

beaver with a hard hat

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Saladin Rising posted:

, you've got the very obvious clipping in the wormhole sequence that they didn't even bother to edit out of the youtube upload:

You can find hobby and amateur non official tutorials from 2013 for Cryengine devkit beginners on how to deal with cam angles, collison, forced POV, switch Form 3rd Person to first person and cinematic sequences and how to prevent clipping etc.

This is basic and amateur stuff and toolbox featureset implementation that you can learn in 2 weeks if you are not a completely tech illiterate person and even if you never worked with the CE devkit.
All you need are some free days, try and error sandbox inengine fooling around, just by copying every step from CE dev knowledge bases and forums and YouTube .

CIG does not even give a gently caress anymore. They censored and cut that failures and glitches out years ago. But why should they, the sc reddit is amazed by fundamental basic devkit functions that games had in 2005.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Quavers posted:

:trustme: four jackets

I love how SC development takes so long you can see the characters aging

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wrecked Angle posted:

That PC Gamer article made me look back on one of the previous articles which resulted in me getting 'Removed' from the comments section. Even funnier to read through now...

Is there a subreddit for comments that don't age well?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Better answer would have been: Yes, they helped immensely by not being involved.

EDIT: Alternate answer: What a silly question, this is a finished product.

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 25, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

:eyepop:

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Agony Aunt posted:

Is there a subreddit for comments that don't age well?

There should be a way to force the white knights to go back and read their comments going back through the years to see how ridiculous their expectations for the game were back then.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Quavers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1XZbkCOBA

The second of the week's Fake Jeremy Clarkson videos, and the series has already outstayed its welcome :ughh:

"hahaha, that was insaaane!"

Uhhh, what? That was boring as gently caress

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Loved the Citcon shitshow, so boring and janky.

My favorite part was the NPC guard clipping through the door and the player desperately moving the camera away to hide the fact they still can't get doors to work.

Around 53:40 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCDOM2UULhE&t=3219s

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Just think about how much Star Citizen is physicalizing.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

SelenicMartian posted:

They kept this in the YT upload.

This is my favorite bit of "never done before", because it's the exact same wormhole/hyperspace gameplay that was in Space Rogue (1989), which I played the poo poo out of on the Commodore 64. You may recognize the studio name, also.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sabreseven posted:

Quick drive by with a little something I've been working on :)

Edit; resized

I like it

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
(Semi)serious question? What's the state of the gameplay? Is it still just trying to retrieve a box in space before your game crashes? Or have they actually added stuff to do yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

(Semi)serious question? What's the state of the gameplay? Is it still just trying to retrieve a box in space before your game crashes? Or have they actually added stuff to do yet?

I will give you infinity guesses.