Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want a target sport I'd much rather you just used pistol crossbows or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The last thing we loving need is an open excuse for the police to start carrying guns all the time

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

ItohRespectArmy posted:

I don't think in the current climate of school shootings happening every week in the US any politician is gona become the gun de-regulation candidate in a country with strict gun laws.

No, absolutely not. (Well, I think the UKIP manifesto a few years back had the repeal of the firearms act 1997 amendment, but that’s about it)

I’m more bemoaning something that is lost both practically and culturally- a generation has now reached adulthood without ever even getting to /try/ a very rewarding sport, so people who shoot is very much an aging (and mostly wealthy these days) demographic.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Camrath posted:

Happy to expound if people want me to, but again I recognise it’s very much a fringe pursuit in this country in general, and left wing online spaces in particular.

Same. If people momentarily put aside the fact that it is about guns the weird laws are completely baffling. The difference in the tone and requirements for shotguns vs literally anything else is pretty :psyduck:

Can't imagine why. Who in the UK absolutely cannot be inconvenienced? Who has a large number of shotguns? :thunk:

EDIT: I think I can safely say that neither Camrath or I are advocating for US style gun laws or proliferation.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Pochoclo posted:

Ridiculous levels of gun proliferation haven't exactly helped USA, you know

America has a cultural issue with violence. Quite a few countries have similar levels of gun ownership without the attached violence- normally due to a strong social safety net and less of a history of extreme racial strife. Also less of a national fetishisation of guns. I mean, I love shooting- whether I’m hunting for game, punching paper or just making tin cans dance fifty yards away, but having spent time with a fair few American enthuasiasts they really are a whole different level. One that even a hobbyist like me finds freaky and a bit scary.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean shotguns are decidedly more versatile (and also again, hard to conceal) compared to pistols. Plus you're also not allowed ones that hold more than three rounds iirc, again to minimise their utility for mass murder.

The way the laws are constructed may be inconsistent but their broad effect is to keep the availability of firearms low, and limited to things that are at least slightly harder to use on people because if you're wandering around with a full size shotgun most places then you're probably going to attract the police.

And I like not having to wander around expecting to be shot by either some bearded nutter or a cop.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Can we even discuss extra-parliamentary actions on here?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I mean shotguns are decidedly more versatile (and also again, hard to conceal) compared to pistols. Plus you're also not allowed ones that hold more than three rounds iirc, again to minimise their utility for mass murder.

The way the laws are constructed may be inconsistent but their broad effect is to keep the availability of firearms low, and limited to things that are at least slightly harder to use on people because if you're wandering around with a full size shotgun most places then you're probably going to attract the police.

If you're going to use a shotgun like that the only barrier to sawing the end off and making it concealable is that you'd be breaking the law and at that point I doubt you care.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

I think the idea is that the pistol is by far the more practical weapon.

Plus the basic fact is that Thomas Hamilton didn't shoot up Dunblane Primary with a high powered rifle, he had 2 Browning 9mm & 2 Model 19s.

An utterly contemptible shite walked into a Primary School gym hall, murdered 16 kids & their teacher & in a year handguns had been banned. Probably it wasn't done perfectly but seeing as we've had the Cumbria shootings & that's about it so :shrug:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Camrath posted:

The trouble with violent uprising in this country though is that our populace is almost entirely disarmed (or at least, the working classes are- practically every one of my parents’ posh friends has a few shotguns stashed away). Given that in this country gun control has almost entirely been right wing rather than left wing policy i can’t help but think this was a consideration in it.
The 1919 Act that most of the rest built themselves up on was explicitly due to fear of a workers' uprising, and most of the rest were Thatcher, Major, and Blair, so that follows. Callaghan's last Bill he tried to pass was scrapping the certificate fee to make ownership more affordable for the rural poor, but it failed.

But if you get a sizable mass of people pissed off enough then the masses will arm themselves regardless of the State's consent, so it's at most a hurdle.

TTerrible posted:

Gun laws in the UK are completely nonsensical. They're patchwork of kneejerk additiions that are entirely headline driven. There is also a class divide basically written into the licensing requirements. I have a lot of words on this.

.22lr target pistol: Illegal

.50bmg anti-materiel rifle with a moderator: Legal.
You can own a .22lr target pistol provided that it has a bunch of stuff permanently attached to it which would, paradoxically, make it illegal in most US states without special approval.

But yeah the laws themselves are a patchwork of headline chasing and prole fearing nonsense. The most :psyduck: one was passing a law that effectively put Brocock and only Brocock out of business in reaction to a drive-by in Birmingham where two bystanders were killed with an illegally imported Czech machine pistol, but there's the current one against lever return/MARS rifles because they're "a loophole for semi-autos" despite being no faster to cycle than a Victorian lever gun.

Camrath posted:

(Well, I think the UKIP manifesto a few years back had the repeal of the firearms act 1997 amendment, but that’s about it)
I don't think it was even that, they wanted to allow gallery shooting in controlled premises where the pistols weren't allowed off site. But the headlines made it sound like they wanted everyone open carrying at Tesco.

Given every single other UKIP policy (except some of their drugs ones) I'm not sure why that was the one the press decided to go for the throat on :rolleye:

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

TTerrible posted:

Same. If people momentarily put aside the fact that it is about guns the weird laws are completely baffling. The difference in the tone and requirements for shotguns vs literally anything else is pretty :psyduck:

Can't imagine why. Who in the UK absolutely cannot be inconvenienced? Who has a large number of shotguns? :thunk:

EDIT: I think I can safely say that neither Camrath or I are advocating for US style gun laws or proliferation.

Yeah- as I said, if I was suddenly dictator for life or whatever I’d install something like the French system.

In a nutshell it means you can buy air rifles and small bore rifles (.22lr mostly) essentially at will. Get a hunting licence (which requires a written exam and practical training session on the law and safety) and you can buy shotguns with a max capacity of 2+1. You can also buy hunting rifles (so mostly bolt action and with a low mag capacity) on that, but you have to inform the local town hall and police of your possession. And then if you want to get pistols or semi-auto rifles there’s a club membership, background check and health check requirement to get a permit.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

You can own a .22lr target pistol provided that it has a bunch of stuff permanently attached to it which would, paradoxically, make it illegal in most US states without special approval.

I enjoy telling people in the US that the FLO can make purchasing a moderator for a weapon a condition of variation. :haw:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah someone posted something ITT confirming that he'd been told to hide, about 20-30 pages ago.

Here you go. Incidentally, he's only showing up to two hustings sessions in North-East Somerset, and has been curiously limited in the territory he's canvassing in for NES - hasn't strayed much outside Midsomer Norton.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Guavanaut posted:

The 1919 Act that most of the rest built themselves up on was explicitly due to fear of a workers' uprising, and most of the rest were Thatcher, Major, and Blair, so that follows. Callaghan's last Bill he tried to pass was scrapping the certificate fee to make ownership more affordable for the rural poor, but it failed.

But if you get a sizable mass of people pissed off enough then the masses will arm themselves regardless of the State's consent, so it's at most a hurdle.

But yeah the laws themselves are a patchwork of headline chasing and prole fearing nonsense. The most :psyduck: one was passing a law that effectively put Brocock and only Brocock out of business in reaction to a drive-by in Birmingham where two bystanders were killed with an illegally imported Czech machine pistol, but there's the current one against lever return/MARS rifles because they're "a loophole for semi-autos" despite being no faster to cycle than a Victorian lever gun.

I don't think it was even that, they wanted to allow gallery shooting in controlled premises where the pistols weren't allowed off site. But the headlines made it sound like they wanted everyone open carrying at Tesco.

Given every single other UKIP policy (except some of their drugs ones) I'm not sure why that was the one the press decided to go for the throat on :rolleye:

Yeah, poor Brocock really got hosed. I had one of their air cartridge rifles (a Predator iirc; the mag fed one) and it really was a great little bit of engineering.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Gunchat aside I look forward to Rees Mogg appearing from his burrow after the election is over like some kind of groundhog, seeing his shadow and retreating back inside due to five years of Labour rule.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Camrath posted:

No, absolutely not. (Well, I think the UKIP manifesto a few years back had the repeal of the firearms act 1997 amendment, but that’s about it)

I’m more bemoaning something that is lost both practically and culturally- a generation has now reached adulthood without ever even getting to /try/ a very rewarding sport, so people who shoot is very much an aging (and mostly wealthy these days) demographic.

Fortunately there are very many other rewarding sports young'uns can try instead. Basketball perhaps. Swimming. Take up a martial art. gently caress, if you need to kill poo poo then go angling.

Just very much eh. On the list of problems in this country that need to be solved, fiddling with the Firearms Act seems about as important as...actually I can't think of anything I care less about, not even an absurd hypothetical.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Camrath posted:

America has a cultural issue with violence. Quite a few countries have similar levels of gun ownership without the attached violence- normally due to a strong social safety net and less of a history of extreme racial strife. Also less of a national fetishisation of guns. I mean, I love shooting- whether I’m hunting for game, punching paper or just making tin cans dance fifty yards away, but having spent time with a fair few American enthuasiasts they really are a whole different level. One that even a hobbyist like me finds freaky and a bit scary.

Eh. It's more of a population density thing. Low population density means suicides go up, high population density means murders go up. Countries like Finland have a lot of people offing themselves with guns.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

Fortunately there are very many other rewarding sports young'uns can try instead. Basketball perhaps. Swimming. Take up a martial art. gently caress, if you need to kill poo poo then go angling.

Just very much eh. On the list of problems in this country that need to be solved, fiddling with the Firearms Act seems about as important as...actually I can't think of anything I care less about, not even an absurd hypothetical.

I think it's below "referendum on traffic sign font" levels of importance, it's just this weird corner of law that no one wants to touch because it is so toxic politically.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Camrath posted:

requires a written exam and practical training session on the law and safety... club membership, background check and health check requirement to get a permit.
This makes a lot more sense than our back of an envelope system which effectively automatically qualifies a bunch of people just because they have sufficient money or land or a written dispensation from the Home Secretary.

Because "landed aristocracy, nouveau riche, and people Priti Patel believes are trustworthy" is not my idea of a good list for anything except maybe "people that should be deported to the Falklands."

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh. It's more of a population density thing. Low population density means suicides go up, high population density means murders go up. Countries like Finland have a lot of people offing themselves with guns.

Most of the US is extremely low population density, and the type of horrific incident that’s become an American hallmark over the past decade or so is mostly a suburban thing rather than an urban one (not that people there haven’t been shooting each other a fuckload in the inner cities; it just doesn’t tend to make international news)

Anyway, sorry for making GBS threads up the thread on a tangent.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Camrath posted:

Most of the US is extremely low population density, and the type of horrific incident that’s become an American hallmark over the past decade or so is mostly a suburban thing rather than an urban one (not that people there haven’t been shooting each other a fuckload in the inner cities; it just doesn’t tend to make international news)

Anyway, sorry for making GBS threads up the thread on a tangent.

Yeah, but those low-density rural areas (like, say, Vermont) also have low interpersonal gun violence. They just make up for it with a crazy-huge suicide rate.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The worst effect of the Chief Rabbi article is to take up another day of the campaign which Labour could have filled with a positive message. Now they can't announce anything, and anyone they send on the airwaves has to spend the whole interview repeating stock lines about antisemitism. It also makes sure it will come up in the debates to eat up time there too.

After tomorrow there are 14 more days before polls open. A lot depends on how many of those days they can pull a stunt like this.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

It's cool when people "correct" others with something that is wrong. Cool.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

poo poo, I should have got in on that, because I have Opinions about broadband and Openreach. What's the link for the discord or whatever again?

UKMT Goons

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

The worst effect of the Chief Rabbi article is to take up another day of the campaign which Labour could have filled with a positive message. Now they can't announce anything, and anyone they send on the airwaves has to spend the whole interview repeating stock lines about antisemitism. It also makes sure it will come up in the debates to eat up time there too.

After tomorrow there are 14 more days before polls open. A lot depends on how many of those days they can pull a stunt like this.
I look forward to tomorrow's "Spain's chief rabbi Moshe Bendahan says "Jeremy Corbyn es un Hitler."" plus a dozen others.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I demand to be on this episode so that I can earn my restraining order for the widest possible audience.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Quick reminder that there's still plenty of working class yoof learning to shoot. There's these special gangs called 'cadets' where they take you to a rifle range so you can let rip with military hardware*.

*LA-81 cadet target rifles (cut down version of the SA-80) and the the occasional .22 bolt action. Or at least they were when I last did it 15 or so years ago. Air cadets was fun from a shooting / flying light aircraft / getting rides in a Chinook basis but it also instilled me with the bitter hatred of authority I nurture to this day so who can say if it was good or bad.

E: Actually my polling station is a sea cadet hall. In pretty much the most landlocked area of Britain. They have an actual ships wheel up on a dais it's hilarious.
EE: Holy poo poo I just reminded myself that I technically have an NVQ Level 3 in aeronautical engineering. That kind of got buried by the whole university computer toucher thing.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 26, 2019

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Darth Walrus posted:

Here you go. Incidentally, he's only showing up to two hustings sessions in North-East Somerset, and has been curiously limited in the territory he's canvassing in for NES - hasn't strayed much outside Midsomer Norton.

Ah, thanks bud.

Chuka Umana posted:

We're not saying "we should do this", we're saying "I wouldn't be surprised if this happens". Not much of a distinction I grant you, but still.

I mean if the mods say to knock it off then I guess yeah.

Just saying though, people are pissed. We saw unrest in 2011 and we've seen massive (mainly peaceful protest) recently. It's not a big leap to think that things might kick off. Also from the fash, but for different reasons.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/LaboursBlackPLP/status/1199102986510880768
Excellent.

I'm hoping Labour have some sort of strategy for the anti-Semitism stuff coming up again, it's hardly a surprise but repeating lines that's a poison on society etc isn't going to cut it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bundy posted:

https://twitter.com/LaboursBlackPLP/status/1199102986510880768
Excellent.

I'm hoping Labour have some sort of strategy for the anti-Semitism stuff coming up again, it's hardly a surprise but repeating lines that's a poison on society etc isn't going to cut it.

tbh at this stage it hardly matters, everyone's already made up their mind on the issue. While it's annoying that it keeps being brought up they did, thankfully, blow their load far too early on this one.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Darth Walrus posted:

Guns themselves also offer a huge amount of ease. In the UK suicide rates shot down considerably when they made ovens safer as before all it took was popping your head in one for five minutes

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Rarity posted:

Welp, tonight's podcast recording on the Labour manifesto may need to be split up.

We went over 3 hours deep :ohdear:

If the tories are shitposting with that B o r i s w a v e vid, I'd like to see Purge do an 8 hour deep dive into the Labour Manifesto patch notes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So Jo Swinson said at Question Time that the Lib Dems won't be cancelling student debt. Their big youth outreach policy is loans for rent. They want to run a permanent surplus, indebting the people they supposedly work for to them as they tax more and spend less if we want to keep the country running.

Does someone with a social media presence want to take 'payday loan party' out for a spin? I feel like it could go places.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/ronanburtenshaw/status/1199077997065777155
:mmmsmug:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

TTerrible posted:

Gun laws in the UK are completely nonsensical. They're patchwork of kneejerk additiions that are entirely headline driven. There is also a class divide basically written into the licensing requirements. I have a lot of words on this.

.22lr target pistol: Illegal

.50bmg anti-materiel rifle with a moderator: Legal.

What about a fifty cal with an Idiot King? :thunk:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Chuka Umana posted:

I imagine that permas will start coming out if MI5 calls up lowtax so maybe avoid it

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

ThomasPaine posted:

tbh at this stage it hardly matters, everyone's already made up their mind on the issue. While it's annoying that it keeps being brought up they did, thankfully, blow their load far too early on this one.

If they had kept their powder dry and got the Chief Rabbi to drop this today completely out of the blue as they went on the attack it could have been devastating to Corbyn, but as you say, minds seem to be mostly made up. Hell, it's only made the Times and the Heil for tomorrow's front pages. It's been droning along for ages and ages and they've shat themselves hard with so much pure nonsense on so many topics including this one ("I heard Jezza's mate was on a bus and he sang "Hey Jude" but changed the lyrics to "Hey Jews"!") that a lot of people will think it's much ado.

Of course, depending on how things shake out on the 12th we could be talking about some very narrow margins making the difference, and if the Chief Rabbi's comments encourage even a small number of people to change their plans to vote Labour, it could be consequential. But I feel this is just more piss in the wind.

e; I also suspect that the sheer strength of what is being said is making people hesitant to believe it. If you say something like "I fear the Labour Party is not welcoming to current and potential Jewish members" and "If Britain gains a reputation for unfriendliness to Jews, it could have serious repercussions" those are statements that seem reasonable and plausible. But when they're saying things like this is a deep rooted "poison", that Jeremy Corbyn is an "existential threat", and so on - it just doesn't ring true. You might make headway if you argued he was an innocent bumbling grandad who was letting AS flourish out of incompetence, but the constant efforts to paint him as a committed and zealous anti-semite is so thoroughly at odds with both his personal history and his general manner that it's hard to imagine it lands with people who weren't already thoroughly opposed to him.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 26, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Definitely looking forward to the US intervention force to stop holocaust 2 from happening in the event we win.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Darth Walrus posted:

quote:

Rees-Mogg, an old Etonian hedge fund manager, may not be in keeping with the image that Johnson’s campaign wishes to present.

Reports have claimed that his closest aides wished to cut back on the number of upper-class, privately educated white men who represent the Tories in media appearances.

The party co-chair, James Cleverly, the home secretary, Priti Patel, and the chief secretary to the treasury Rishi Sunak have instead been asked to appear on television and stand alongside the prime minister.

See, I can't be racist, look at all my ethnic friends! And no letterboxes here! :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I can't think of a more reassuring person than Priti Patel, truly one with the common people.