Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite Drink?
This poll is closed.
Water 32 26.67%
Tea 21 17.50%
Soda 28 23.33%
Alcoholic 22 18.33%
I dunno 17 14.17%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Thumbtacks posted:

I知 looking for an anime with a severe tonal shift. Modoka nearly gave me whiplash and I知 down for it

Ideally one that straight up shifts genres but I doubt there are many of those, if any. Although the idea of something like love live being suddenly interrupted by a giant mech and turning into a mech anime is hilarious

samurai flamenco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Thumbtacks posted:

I知 looking for an anime with a severe tonal shift. Modoka nearly gave me whiplash and I知 down for it

Ideally one that straight up shifts genres but I doubt there are many of those, if any. Although the idea of something like love live being suddenly interrupted by a giant mech and turning into a mech anime is hilarious

• Steins;Gate
  • Angel Beats
  • Planetes
  • Your Lie in April
  • Abenobashi

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Thumbtacks posted:

it's a manga but Qualia the Purple is like the epitome of this

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Futaba Anzu posted:

samurai flamenco

This is the best answer

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks Captain Cappy! I didn't know about that site. TPB is not the place to look any more apparently.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Thumbtacks posted:

I’m looking for an anime with a severe tonal shift. Modoka nearly gave me whiplash and I’m down for it
If you want manga like this you could try Gal☆Cleaning

(Don't try Gal☆Cleaning)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
does anyone remember betterman? i have some half remembered bits tempting me to go an rewatch it, but i think it might just bad stuff coming to haunt me from my younger years.

FilthyImp posted:

(Don't try Gal☆Cleaning)

yeah, this

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Thumbtacks posted:

Mirai Nikki should scratch this itch for you. It can barely stay in one genre for longer than a couple episodes at a time.

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

nobody should watch mirai nikki

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

FartRomancer.EXE posted:

everybody should watch mirai nikki

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

nothing that gross about sexual assualt is something "everyone should watch" gently caress off

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
instead of acting shocked and pulling someone into a gotcha when your sweeping statement elicits an equal response you could just say from the beginning that you thought mirai nikki was gross about sexual assault. no one's going to fight your opinion there

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

Space Flower posted:

instead of acting shocked and pulling someone into a gotcha when your sweeping statement elicits an equal response you could just say from the beginning that you thought mirai nikki was gross about sexual assault. no one's going to fight your opinion there

you're right, that would have been a better way to handle it

still, gently caress that show

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni has quite the tonal shifts, and it's very jarring and confusing if, like me, you're unfamiliar with the source material.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
higurashi's tonal shifts prob work better in vn form than in anime form, the vn focuses a lot more on the characters than on the horror while the anime cuts out a fair amount of character stuff and emphasizes the horror more, which i imagine gets weird when the story ultimately shifts out of entirely

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

redreader posted:

IDK if this is the right place to ask, but I really loved robotech (season 1) as a kid and wanted to watch more macross. I looked it up and Macross Frontier is apparently the second best of the lot, but I can't find it anywhere. Crunchyroll hasn't got a single macross anything, Netflix, Amazon prime don't have it either. I couldn't even find files of it. Maybe I have to buy the bluray or something?

Alternatively, is anything else as good as Macross season 1?
if you want to be legal, all the japanese blurays except I think macross 7 have pretty good english subs on them now because they've just given up ever trying to release it in the west. if you don't care about being legal, idk they're not that hard to find

a couple years back ADV I think? managed to put out a pretty good english set of SDF macross DVDs, also, with a very good dub where mari ijima reprised her role as minmay. I'm guessing those are pretty pricey these days though

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

does anyone remember betterman? i have some half remembered bits tempting me to go an rewatch it, but i think it might just bad stuff coming to haunt me from my younger years.

I watched Betterman a few months ago as part of my project to watch everything Brave related, and it isn't very good. It has many disparate parts which on their own are competent but undercut each other. It's horror but they ruin the tension with comedy, it's a mystery but they spend large swathes of the show just fighting monsters. Also a couple very wooden performances from the cast.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thumbtacks posted:

Narutaru/Shadow Star

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://japantoday.com/category/fea...unhappy-workers

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In 2020, let's resolve to be more upfront about why things are bad.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

I’m looking for an anime with a severe tonal shift. Modoka nearly gave me whiplash and I’m down for it

The first season of Symphogear is a rollercoaster of tonal shifts.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 25, 2019

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Thumbtacks posted:

Sakurazuka posted:

Narutaru/Shadow Star

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also along those lines, Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Futaba Anzu posted:

samurai flamenco

This.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
SSSS.Gridman might be a good pick. though it's not so much tonal whiplash as it is like, a dawning realization of what the show's actually about

tonal... three-point turn?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I watched Violet Evergarden with a friend and I didn't like it much. Childish view of war, overbearing soundtrack, the animation is good but it doesn't really push any boundaries. Themes go nowhere and it doesn't earn it's ending. Character designs are good I guess. The episode where Iris goes home was the best one and the princess episode the worst

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/zulu42996/status/1197421781667106817

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Sentai black friday owns I got Land of the Lustrous for $14

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

an actual dog posted:

Thanks! I picked up Flip Flappers for $10. My Cocona quota will quickly be quenched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B-tsxruIcs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

an actual dog posted:

Speaking of Black Friday, pray for me and all the other fools working retail this week.

Stay home on Friday if you can help it, and please be courteous and kind to service workers.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Spirits are always with you. I hope. :ohdear:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Futaba Anzu posted:

samurai flamenco

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
good luck out there retail workers. its hell out there.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

Speaking of Black Friday, pray for me and all the other fools working retail this week.

Stay home on Friday if you can help it, and please be courteous and kind to service workers.

black friday is basically a week, I got all I wanted already. but yea good luck!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Droyer posted:

I watched Betterman a few months ago as part of my project to watch everything Brave related, and it isn't very good. It has many disparate parts which on their own are competent but undercut each other. It's horror but they ruin the tension with comedy, it's a mystery but they spend large swathes of the show just fighting monsters. Also a couple very wooden performances from the cast.

cool, thanks for the heads up. i miss being young and having the time to watch poo poo i didn't even find enjoyable

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzLv4igd5R8

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvERHiTfx9w

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i miss being young

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I wish Sentai shipped to Canada but they don稚 so it痴 still Rightstuf only for me.