Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

euphronius posted:

I just watched Lynch Dune

It’s legit insanely good

It has insanely good parts.

But let's be honest if you haven't read the books there isn't enough kush in humbolt county to make it make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

kiimo posted:

It has insanely good parts.

But let's be honest if you haven't read the books there isn't enough kush in humbolt county to make it make any sense.

and if you have read the book it'll make even less sense!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

D. Ebdrup posted:

Lensman OP, please nerf?

Never. Just give the other side another order of magnitude attack upgrade and see what happens. Hell, make it ten orders to spice it up a bit.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Enkmar posted:

and if you have read the book it'll make even less sense!

Paul making it rain is an unforgivable sin. For so many reasons, but the biggest being that they established that the sandworms die in water but Paul's ability to destroy spice production is the source of his power. What? WHY IS IT RAINING

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I liked how The Voice got warped into literal sonic laser guns.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Imagined posted:

I liked how The Voice got warped into literal sonic laser guns.

Wierding Modules > Midichlorians

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Nah the Voice is still a deep creepy echoing sound it was the "weirding way" that got morphed into the sound guns.

"My own name is a killing word!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Krull Warhead

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Lynch: "oh wow I really messed up the dune canon didn't I?"
Brian Herbert: "hold my beer"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I like the sound weapon stuff to be honest.

But I won't miss it when it is replaced with sweet martial arts.

It better have sweet martial arts.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Enkmar posted:

*makes it rain beer*

Beer powers the robots and Lord Cyber T Rex 9000 returns but its Bender

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I was confused because I watched the movie as a kid before I read the book in college and was wondering when they would talk about the cool sound guns but instead the weirding way is just Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

kiimo posted:

Paul making it rain is an unforgivable sin. For so many reasons, but the biggest being that they established that the sandworms die in water but Paul's ability to destroy spice production is the source of his power. What? WHY IS IT RAINING

Because “Muad’dib had become the Hand of God”. Lynch Dune isn’t telling the skeptical meta-story of Herbert’s book: it’s narrated by Irulan who, as in the first book’s epigrapha, is openly promulgating the myths of the Mahdi. Like the first book, but unlike its sequels, it leaves the meta bit that Paul wasn’t actually cool or good as an exercise for the audience. Obviously it doesn’t agree with the sequels at all, but it isn’t trying to; it’s trying to portray Paul’s divinity as genuine and miraculous.

If you asked Leto II for a filmbook of the story of Muad’dib, Lynch Dune is what you’d get

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

^^^^I'm not interested in your propaganda, witch.

Haha yep although Pencak Silat may be more accurate with knives (Raid films)

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

kiimo posted:

I like the sound weapon stuff to be honest.

Me too. I've said this before ITT but if there's one thing the new films borrow from the Lynch version I hope it's weaponized sound. I can picture the sandworms being mounted with enormous line arrays that can turn entire platoons of sardaukar into dust.

Are there any other sci-fi books/films that explore this concept at all? I'm sure I've seen it before but I can't think of any right now.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

kiimo posted:

^^^^I'm not interested in your propaganda, witch.

Ever sift sand through a screen?

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

The Bloop posted:

*makes it rain beer*

just realized something about Kralizec

Egomaniacal machines destroying humanity in an effort to fix them is a not so subtle meta-reference to an egomaniacal failson destroying the Dune franchise by trying to add to it.

FRANK KNEW

edit: and he got Brian to write a story about how much Brian sucks by cleverly hiding an outline that could sneak past his radar... Much like how Leto II's golden path relied on his "stolen" journals being found and translated

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 25, 2019

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

The Bloop posted:

*makes it rain beer*

Isn’t this how Doon ends?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Bloop posted:

*makes it rain beer*

Paul: Silence! I remember your Gom Jabbar. Now you'll remember mine. I can chug with a bong.
Fremen: And his bong shall carry brewskies eternal for those who jam to Primus.
Feyd: To Primus??

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Lynch Dune is bad. I didn't crawl out of the woodwork, I've been here the entire time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The lynch initial Geidi Prime sequence is up there for best movie making ever. It’s completely weird and perfect. It deviates from the book in perfect ways. The barons corruption is visible : perfect for a movie !

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

His doctors can’t see or hear or speak or all three . Perfect !

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Lynch Dune is bad. I didn't crawl out of the woodwork, I've been here the entire time.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Lynch's Dune is no more incoherent than the original book.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I always liked the little details of Lynch’s Dune, like the juice box Rabban crushes some squealing animal in for a sip. Captures the Harokkonen’s foulness and cruelty well. And the hark’s weird shaved patch hairdos. Or the Baron’s oil bath then horny murder. That scared the willies out of me.

Or the guildsmen shopvaccing up the water left from the navigator’s tank etc.

It’s not all that coherent but I still love it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

All I see is a water-fat corpse

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I was reading about Project Pigeon and it's perfect for Dune but somehow too silly at the same time.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Baron's doctors in the movie always freaked me the hell out. Dude loved his job... I mean he had to or else his heart plug would get yanked.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

skasion posted:

Ever sift sand through a screen?

I don't know what that's meant to mean, but it sounds like a sick burn somehow.

Enkmar posted:

Frank Herbert: the Butlerian Jihad refers to a struggle against the dehumanising effects of high technology; tragically, a society that has purged itself of "machines in the form of a human mind" is filled with every kind of cruelty and oppression- suggesting these evils result not from our tools, but from human nature itself.
Brian Herbert: LORD CYBERTREX KILLS A BAby

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

If I stand completely still can the CYBERTREX see me, or....?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Combine both themes, make lord cybertrex the robot reincarnation of Mark Zuckerberg.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
It's more like mister and misses cybertrex and it's the dumbest thing ever

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Enkmar posted:

It's more like mister and misses cybertrex and it's the dumbest thing ever

Lord CyberTrex 3000 and his hetero life-mate Philosophy Bot 5

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zopotantor posted:

Never. Just give the other side another order of magnitude attack upgrade and see what happens. Hell, make it ten orders to spice it up a bit.

And hurling literal anti matter planets at people is like halfway up the scale, from memory

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ratatozsk posted:

Isn’t this how Doon ends?

Steak for dinner sometime soon. BOFFO.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

Is there a dune book where two brains in jars cyberjack each other off? I read a lot of sci-fi as a child and I think it was one of the dune books but can’t quite remember.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Ragtime All The Time posted:

Is there a dune book where two brains in jars cyberjack each other off? I read a lot of sci-fi as a child and I think it was one of the dune books but can’t quite remember.

That sounds like something that might have been in the awful prequel books? Dune only has wholesome and classy things like ladies spontaneously orgasming from watching a guy free-climb up a cliff.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Joke Miriam posted:

That sounds like something that might have been in the awful prequel books? Dune only has wholesome and classy things like ladies spontaneously orgasming from watching a guy free-climb up a cliff.

Brains in jars was definitely the butlerian jihad prequels. The fact I remember it means it must have been the first one since I didn’t read the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Can the mods ban anyone not talking about FRANK please?