Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Phobophilia posted:

Also wark post the names of people who have been voting 1 on this thread.
Eh, I dunno; people can have an opinion as to how lovely/good/great a thread might be. Shaming them for their choice seems needlessly mean-spirited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

value-brand cereal posted:

Voting again overwrites the previous vote, I believe.

This is correct.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Phobophilia posted:

I dunno I see people spout how Vic is innocent in random boards and threads all the time these days. No one defended him in the past because he wasn’t a rallying cry for fighting the feminazis. Now, they’ll ignore past precedence for convenience.

Vic has a dedicated fanbase that his mom is in charge of who both believes him when he does his "I didn't mean to offend people" act, and are willing to go hog wild on his accusers. There's either a screenshot of him in Discord telling his fans to "do whatever they can to fight the accusations" (paraphrased) or it was mentioned in tweets.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I haven't caught up in the past 10 or so pages. After the judge said the lawsuit is moronic and Beard appealed, did anything else happen?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Vic is paying about 500k in sanctions.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Well no, he's paying about $500k in attorney's fees. The actual sanctions, the awarded purely to dissuade Vic from trying this poo poo again, amount to $15k. Which seems pretty drat low considering how much was crowdfunded to start this whole thing in the first place.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

ZiegeDame posted:

Well no, he's paying about $500k in attorney's fees. The actual sanctions, the awarded purely to dissuade Vic from trying this poo poo again, amount to $15k. Which seems pretty drat low considering how much was crowdfunded to start this whole thing in the first place.

A bit low for what I had hoped for. I was hoping for all attorney's fees, the entirety of the GFM, and then sanctions on top of that... but hey, at least this means that the defendants didn't have to spend anything out of pocket?

I'd count that as a win if not for the fact that Vic managed to make them go through this whole loving circus and spend months and months of their lives on what has to be an emotionally draining ordeal.

Makes me think of John Oliver's episode on SLAPP, where he talks about how draining the suit was and how much time and energy was spent fighting it. Also makes me wish that some of that $500k could go towards a big musical number telling Vic to eat poo poo, but that's because I'm a spiteful rear end in a top hat and John Oliver's success against Murray set an unrealistically high standard of retaliation against SLAPP fuckery.

khy fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 26, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

He is only paying 238k fees and sanctions right now 380k if he goes for the appeal and loses(there was some argument that he may already owe the extra 142k because of Beard's premature filing).
Filing the appeal properly would also open the door for the defendants to cross appeal the reduced lawyer fees on Vic's dime while still being absolutely hopeless for Vic's case.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 26, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

khy posted:

I haven't caught up in the past 10 or so pages. After the judge said the lawsuit is moronic and Beard appealed, did anything else happen?

Beard also suddenly remembered very pressing engagements that will take the whole of December so he doesn't have to talk to the judge.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

khy posted:

but hey, at least this means that the defendants didn't have to spend anything out of pocket?

The judge reduced the fees awarded, and one of the attorneys testified they would be billing the full amount if that happened.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Lemoine doesn't have to charge them the full amount and its likely that the Defendant's insurance covers the difference. Funimation definitely has insurance, Rial and Toye are likely covered under their home insurance policy and Marchi got everything they asked for(except sanctions which isn't surprising).
It was honestly kind of lovely Chupp asked that question and a huge signal how he was leaning imo, same with asking Vic if the case got away from him.
(Realistically they have probably been paying as the case goes on and the lawyers have already been paid a large portion if not all of their fees)

Edit:The question Chupp asked was paraphrasing "If I award you nothing in fees would you charge Rial 259k in fees?" And Lemoine said he would. The transcript should be interesting when it comes out.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 26, 2019

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

loving lol vicstans are on twitter saying this is a victory since the Defendant's didn't get the full costs they were asking for.

Guess what you rarely get the full costs of what you're asking for, but these morons will try to spin anything. Also the judge basically doubled the costs if he appealed, which is a gigantic warning to not try that stupid poo poo. Of course, he won't listen.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
In the end, Chupp proved too limp dick to enforce fair justice on these Nazis. What a dumbass.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Guess the death threats worked! Ah well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/shane_holmberg/status/1199352562270527496

...just lighting cash on fire at this point.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Monaghan posted:

loving lol vicstans are on twitter saying this is a victory since the Defendant's didn't get the full costs they were asking for.

Guess what you rarely get the full costs of what you're asking for, but these morons will try to spin anything. Also the judge basically doubled the costs if he appealed, which is a gigantic warning to not try that stupid poo poo. Of course, he won't listen.

Suing for $5 million and ending up owing at least $250k is a hell of a win!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

The goalposts will always move because most of these people don’t care about Vic. They hope in their heart of hearts this hurts and demoralizes abuse victims and their supporters, full stop.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't this verdict means that Vic is likely to try and relitigate/appeal (can't remember the term), but that'd basically open him up to even get more financially turbo-hosed?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

Didn't this verdict means that Vic is likely to try and relitigate/appeal (can't remember the term), but that'd basically open him up to even get more financially turbo-hosed?

Yes, if vic tries to appeal he'll get a bunch more sanctions against him. Similar to how the judge was trying to get both sides to mediate before his ruling, he's trying to get Vic to drop this before tying everyone up in appeals.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

If Vic's new lawyers have any sway at all he lets this drop even if he already owes the extra for the appeal.

Further Edit:Meh not really sure I buy the whole warning thing, feels more like the judge took pity or thought JSL was being a dick/really overcharging to me.

Anyway new filing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xu-xo-k2EsMgF1DuD014XXwDUC6vGtHI/view JSL is asking the Judge for a detailed explanation of his ruling on the 100k fee to preserve it for the appeal

Edit:
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1199422223393705988?s=20

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 26, 2019

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Sounds to me like Chup thought "boys will be boys" and didn't think a rapist trying to silence his victims should be punished. Disgusting.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

sounds to me like he thought lemoine was stunting with the big numbers he was asking for and at this point just wanted the case out of his rear end

vic is still eating poo poo here, y'all are acting like he suddenly unfolded a big pepe flag and did a punch-out laugh

Covok
May 27, 2013

If you help to encourage a generation of Nazis to file frivilous lawsuits to punish victima by deciding to go light out of pity, then you are a bad person regardless of intention.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Yes, how will we ever stop the next generation of molesters from throwing away hundreds of thousands of dollars only to cost the victims nothing and make themselves look incredibly stupid?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the number i'm seeing from a law friend is that vic is in the hole for 363k at press time because apparently an appeal did fire off at some point?

so yeah, no, i'm not seeing how chupp's the bad guy all of a sudden. that take is only a sneeze away from the kinds of poo poo the vicstanders have been yelling

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also let's not get it twisted, Vic's become a pawn in the Nazi culture war, and he is a shitbag fundamentalist Christian, but he has not done any Nazi stuff himself that we know of. He is just a sex pest.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Maybe you're right. I have a tendency of getting worked up.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Also let's not get it twisted, Vic's become a pawn in the Nazi culture war, and he is a shitbag fundamentalist Christian, but he has not done any Nazi stuff himself that we know of. He is just a sex pest.

I dunno, his mother calls him "The Fuhrer" to his cult. Despite him not voicing Bradley, and Bradley being a bad guy. And the only other Fuhrer is...well....

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, they're called the Risembool Rangers, so yeah, it's just a reference to Bradley despite him not voicing him.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

RubberLuffy posted:

I dunno, his mother calls him "The Fuhrer" to his cult. Despite him not voicing Bradley, and Bradley being a bad guy. And the only other Fuhrer is...well....

Is this something Vic or the fanclub came up with?

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 27, 2019

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I believe the name came from the fans originally.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Things I understand; Tom Hiddleston, Richard Armitage, and Alan Rickman (rip) having super dedicated fanbases.

Things I don't understand because my brain is too puny, but I know anyways because the world is sad; this sex pest still having a fanbase

Compendium fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 27, 2019

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Here's the trick to that - he doesn't have support despite being a sex pest, he has support because he's a sex pest.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Compendium posted:

Things I don't understand because my brain is too puny, but I know anyways because the world is sad; this sex pest still having a fanbase

Because Ed is so kawaii desu.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

are they using the same GFM or did they actually open two more

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Fiscal irresponsibility to own the libs

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Chupp, for better or worse, is most likely trying to make it attractive for Vic to stop bothering the court with this bullshit and move along.

I think he's trying, through the new representation to be like "here's a minor olive branch. Please stop doing this poo poo."

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lmao this dumb fucker couldn't even show up to his first court session and was too lazy to prep for his deposition: and they expect him to start a dubbing business on his own?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Phobophilia posted:

lmao this dumb fucker couldn't even show up to his first court session and was too lazy to prep for his deposition: and they expect him to start a dubbing business on his own?

He'll just tap his Yakuza connections. Duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Somewhat related to Vic

https://twitter.com/adamparkhomenko/status/1199472648956383232?s=21