Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

When did Batman got his little Starro buddy? (Issue number)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vincent posted:

When did Batman got his little Starro buddy? (Issue number)

Justice League #10. It's kind of out of nowhere. See, Starro (the big classic villainous one) got blown up after Martian Manhunter convinces him to act heroic in a prior series also by Snyder, Justice League: No Justice (#3). Then....

Jarro just appears, with the only explanation being that total one-sentence throwaway line, so I guess Batman just scooped up a piece of Starro off panel for no particular reason.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 26, 2019

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Starro was the best justice league villain and Jarro is the best justice league hero.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Which issue of the Dark Nights Metal storyline had the picture of a whole bunch of Dark Multiverse concepts on a splash page? The one I mainly remember was a 'Parasite Superman'. There were some others with a 'Cheetah Wonder Woman' and 'Riddler with a question mark shaved on his head', I found those, but I can't find that dark Parasite Superman and others splash page

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Cornwind Evil posted:

Which issue of the Dark Nights Metal storyline had the picture of a whole bunch of Dark Multiverse concepts on a splash page? The one I mainly remember was a 'Parasite Superman'. There were some others with a 'Cheetah Wonder Woman' and 'Riddler with a question mark shaved on his head', I found those, but I can't find that dark Parasite Superman and others splash page

If I remember correctly it was Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl fighting them, so either the Hawkman Found issue or the last main Metal issue.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I知 kind of a lapsed comics reader, but I recently picked up a 1-year subscription to Marvel Unlimited and was hoping for some suggestions on what series/characters/whatever I ought to read. I知 about 10 years out of date with most Marvel comics stuff, but any and all suggestions are welcome.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

ecavalli posted:

I知 kind of a lapsed comics reader, but I recently picked up a 1-year subscription to Marvel Unlimited and was hoping for some suggestions on what series/characters/whatever I ought to read. I知 about 10 years out of date with most Marvel comics stuff, but any and all suggestions are welcome.

My favourites in the last few years? Jason Aaron's Thor, Chris Hastings' Gwenpool, and Al Ewing's Immortal Hulk.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Unbeatable Squirrel Girl
Hickman's Fantastic Four
Hickman's X-Men (probably not on Unlimited)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unlimited is 6 months behind so House/Powers will start going up in January.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Uthor posted:

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

Squirrel Girl just finished last month, so it'll be some time before the entire thing is on Unlimited. However, it's 58 issues (and maybe it'll have the "Squirrel Girl Beats Up The Marvel Universe" too), so you can start it and maybe finish it just as it's put on Unlimited if you take your time.

EDIT: If you like that, check out Zdarsky's Howard The Duck.

IUG fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 3, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
All New Wolverine (Tom Taylor series about Laura Kinney as Wolverine)
X-Men: Red
Rogue and Gambit
Mr. And Mrs X
Hawkeye (both the Matt Fraction series with Clint and the Kelly Thompson one with Kate)
Spectacular Spider-Man (the one by Chip Zdarsky)

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

-The Immortal Iron Fist by Rucka, Fraction, Aja and Foreman (Kung-Fu action starting in the streets of Marvel New York and including a mystical martial arts tournament).
-Bendis's run on Daredevil (it's basically what if everything goes wrong for Matt Murdock, but it's good comics).
-Moon Knight by Ellis and Shalvey (It's only 6 very good issues of one and done stories).
-Planet Hulk by Pak, Pagualayan and Lopresti (Hulk wrecks poo poo on an alien planet and finds himself).
-Young Avengers by Gillen and Mckelvie (Stylish and fun comic and some questionable music choices for teens to listen to (Do people under 35 listen to Donna Summer?)).
-Runaways by Rowell and Anka. (One of the best (if not THE best) Runaways series in a long time. Also, the best book out comic-fashion wise thanks to Anka).

Vincent fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 3, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just gonna list off stuff from my hard drive

black widow 2016
jason aarons thor (starts with God of Thunder)
a-force
all-new wolverine -> x-men: red
captain america 2018 by TNC
hickman's fantastic four -> avengers/new avengers -> secret wars
chris hastings' gwenpool
fraction's hawkeye 2012
kelly thompson's hawkeye 2016
al ewing's immortal hulk
ms. marvel
silver surfer 2014
spider-man & the x-men
spider-woman 2016
the ultimates 2016
the unstoppable wasp
unbeatable squirrel girl

site fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 3, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ecavalli posted:

Adding on to everyone else's recommendations:
-Basically anything by Al Ewing. Avengers: No Road Home & Avengers: No Surrender in particular are great, though.
-Kieron Gillen's Journey Into Mystery
-Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (the ongoing by Conway then Houser, not the original mini by Slott, that's not required reading and it looks real bad compared to the series proper)
-Spider-Man: Life Story by Chip Zdarsky
-Miles Morales: Spider-Man by Saladin Ahmed
-Black Cat by SA's own Vulpes Vulpes AKA Jed McKay (it should be going up soon if it hasn't already. Also anything else he's done is gold, including his Daughters of The Dragon miniseries)
-Superior Foes of Spider-Man by Nick Spencer
-Amazing Spider-Man by Nick Spencer (side note: maybe steer clear of his Cap run & Secret Empire.)
-Spider-Gwen (including the sequel series by Seanen McGuire).
-The Star Wars books are quite good, too, with Doctor Ahpra a particular highlight.
-The Amazing Mary Jane by Leah Williams (when it gets added, it started in October so...March/April?)
-X-men: Grand Design by Ed Piskor
-Marvel Comics #1000 and #1001 are two great anthologies that'll be added in the coming months.
-What If? Magik by Leah Williams is a p. great one-shot.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Anything Thor with Jason Aaron's name on it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

si spurrier's x-force

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Does Marvel (and Unlimited) have any non-superhero lines, like DC's Vertigo?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They've used the Epic imprint now and then, yeah.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Everything Al Ewing has done.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
But I don't think Epic has anything on Unlimited, a lot of it is creator owned.

I think when Marvel started publishing Conan books again they put a bunch of their older ones on Unlimited, same with Star Wars.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

But I don't think Epic has anything on Unlimited, a lot of it is creator owned.

There were a handful of Marvel Universe based comics released under the Epic imprint, though I think all of them were officially out of continuity if anyone cares. And a few of those are on Marvel Unlimited. It's not a whole lot, but it exists.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I saw today that Doomsday Clock is still not finished.

Out of curiosity, is there a record for longest delay for a comic between issues?

One that sticks out in my mind is The Twelve, which had a delay/hiatus of three years and three months between issue 8 coming out and issue 9 coming out.

I'm curious if there's a longer one than that, or if there are any infamous stories about other comics that were plagued with delays.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LadyPictureShow posted:

Out of curiosity, is there a record for longest delay for a comic between issues?

One that sticks out in my mind is The Twelve, which had a delay/hiatus of three years and three months between issue 8 coming out and issue 9 coming out.

I'm curious if there's a longer one than that, or if there are any infamous stories about other comics that were plagued with delays.

Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk had almost 3 years between its issue 2 and 3. So not as long, obviously, but close. IIRC, there was some comic (maybe even a 616 one instead of an Ultimate one) that mocked it by having Wolverine remember the scene of Hulk ripping him in half and chalking it up to a bad dream.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

LadyPictureShow posted:

JMS's Rising Stars, maybe. It took years for the last three issues to come out.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Are we only counting books that actually eventually finished? Because "we're coming back to finish this story, we swear!" books could fill an entire book about them, especially if you include creator-owned books and/or things announced but never actually released. Warren Ellis alone could fill a short book.

Deathmate wasn't incredibly delayed in the grand scheme of things, but it was scandalously late and was a major contributing factor to the comic book bubble bursting in the mid 1990s, so it's one of the more historically delayed books out there.

Watchmen (the original) series was delayed, but all that really happened was that they skipped a month because they were running behind and ultimately it took a little under fourteen months to put out twelve issues, which seems downright quaint by modern standards but was scandalous in the era of everything shipping like clockwork and editors shoving Inventory Stories in as fill-ins if a creative team was running behind.

The Dark Knight Strikes Again (aka DK2) had a signficant delay (the three issues were supposed to all come out in late 2001, instead they came out in September 2001, January 2002, and July 2002) and was apparently significantly retooled/rethought in response to 9/11, which is kind of baffling to decode looking back at it now.

The mid-2000s were littered with hilariously delayed books and bizarre numbering/fill-in/spin-off decisions. A long string of Universe Shattering Events got delayed and caused cascades of books being held back so they wouldn't spoil the endings; Civil War's last issue was delayed by four months, Infinite Crisis's only by a month but the ending was a rush of fill-in art, half-colored pages, misplaced balloons, and other nonsense they had to fix in collections. Blackest Night, World War Hulk, and Final Crisis missed a month or three, pushing other books back on the schedule too.

There are some books that basically never finished:

All-Star Batman & Robin, the Boy Wonder (eight issues released between July 2005 and November 2007)
The Authority (Grant Morrison & Gene Ha revamp): Ongoing series with a first issue October 2006, second issue March 2007, wrapped up by in 2009-2010 by a "Lost Year" mini-series numbered 3-12 by a completely different creative team)
Daredevil: The Target (Kevin Smith & Glenn Fabry): Six issue mini-series with one issue in November 2002, no further issues
Wildcats (Grant Morrison & Jim Lee revamp): Ongoing series with one issue in December 2006, never followed up on

Books That Actually Finished
Spider-Man/Black Cat: The Evil That Men Do: Six issues, #1-3 out in summer 2002, last three issues out in late 2005/early 2006
The Twelve: Issues 0-6 came out monthly starting in December 2007, then an eighth issue in December 2008, then issues 9-12 in 2012
Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk: Four issues coming out late 2005/2006, then the last two issues in 2009

I feel like I'm missing some; there were hilarious backflips done in late 2000s DC to try to accommodate massive delays on books with high profile creative teams:

Richard Donner's co-written Action Comics run turned into a couple of arcs that were published in the following books:

Action Comics #844-846
Action Comics #851
Action Comics #855-857
Action Comics Annual #10

And Allan Heinberg's Wonder Woman was published in Wonder Woman #1-3, then #4 was delayed by four months, then three months later Wonder Woman #5 came out as a fill-in story with no resolution to Heinberg's story. Two weeks later in Wonder Woman #6 Jodi Picault started her run and eventually the last issue of Heinberg's Wonder Woman run came out six months later as an annual.

In terms of creator-owned books, one of the notable success stories with a giant gap is David Lapham's Stray Bullets: the first forty issues came out pretty sporadically throughout the 1990s and early 2000s;

7 issues in 1995
4 issues in 1996
4 issues in 1997
2 issues in 1998
4 issues in 1999
2 issues in 2000
[18 month hiatus in which he put out nine issues of Murder Me Dead)
6 issues in 2002
4 issues in 2003
3 issues in 2004
5 issues in 2005

And then the book basically disappeared and Lapham spent like a decade doing weird WFH stuff, even weirder Avatar stuff, and the extremely divisive Vertigo series Young Liars.

Then in 2014 Stray Bullets #41 came out through image, wrapping up the arc that hadn't been touched in nine years. This was quickly followed the same year with eight monthly issues of Stray Bullets: Killers which was effectively Stray Bullets #42-49, and that was followed up in 2015 with Stray Bullets: Sunshine & Roses.

Stray Bullets has always jumped around narratively and chronologically (look at when it started, it was clearly influenced by Pulp Fiction), but Sunshine & Roses jumps back to fill in the blanks of the heist that took place off-panel between issues 3 and 5 of the original series from 1995. That entire plotline was wrapped up in about five issues (ending in issue 14) of the original series.

Somehow, Sunshine & Roses is a shaggy dog story of what happened to get a trio of characters from Point A (Baltimore) to Point B (Somewhere Out West) that is apparently going to wrap up in January as a series longer than the entire original Stray Bullets (42 issues). If you'd told me ten years ago that we'd get any Stray Bullets in this decade, much less over 50 issues of it, I would not have believed you. I'd have super not believed the content of said fifty issues.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There was a six and a half year gap in Hickman's SHIELD.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the last issue of fractions hawkeye took forever too didnt it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Last issue of Planetary came out 3 years after it's penultimate issue, and earlier in the run there was an announced 2 year hiatus.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm still waiting for the promised 1963 Annual that wraps up the loose ends of the miniseries, by Alan Moore, Jim Lee, and Rob Liefeld!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

the last issue of fractions hawkeye took forever too didnt it

All New Hawkeye (I think that's the title, the Lemire series that was supposed to be a direct follow up) issue number 1 came out before last issue of Fraction's run.

Oh poo poo I just remembered Hickman's SHIELD, six issue series, issue four came out December 2011, issue five came out May 2018. His entire Avengers/ New Avengers/Secret Wars was published and he decided to only do creator owned stuff between those two issues.

I wonder if part of getting X-Men was he had to write the last two issues of SHIELD first?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I致e been waiting about 3 years for the last issue of Nowhere Men

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bendis and Maleev's Scarlet released five issues every 2-3 months in 2010/2011, released two issues back to back after a two year break, released three issues monthly after a three year break, then the last five issues monthly after another 2.5 year break and at a different publisher. Nine years for fifteen issues.

Scud: The Disposable Assassin put out twenty issues in the late 90's, then the final four issues ten years later in 2008.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There was a six and a half year gap in Hickman's SHIELD.

Whoa, that finally wrapped up? :psyduck:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Uthor posted:

Bendis and Maleev's Scarlet released five issues every 2-3 months in 2010/2011, released two issues back to back after a two year break, released three issues monthly after a three year break, then the last five issues monthly after another 2.5 year break and at a different publisher. Nine years for fifteen issues.
Hey, I just started reading Scarlet last night! Hopefully it is worth the wait.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hey, I just started reading Scarlet last night! Hopefully it is worth the wait.

It's definitely interesting as it was started in a much different political climate. Bendis mentioned putting in on hold as it got "too real" because of things happening around the world.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

John Byrne's Next Men had a fifteen year gap between 1995 (when Dark Horse cancelled it) and 2010 (when it was relaunched by IDW). It ended without wrapping up its plot and the 2010 series was a direct continuation, so it maybe counts despite having been cancelled in the intervening time.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Also John Byrne's Next Men is very bad and was basically his ill-hewn attempt to bottle the X-Men lightning again, but without Claremont doing the writing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I bought all the Marvel MiracleMan reprints because I was told they were going to conclude it. :mad:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

IUG posted:

I bought all the Marvel MiracleMan reprints because I was told they were going to conclude it. :mad:

I didn't buy them because I was waiting for them to conclude it. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IUG posted:

They will but we'll all he in wheelchairs by then.