Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/icmresearch/status/1199302594054766594?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
They're smart, doing this antisemitism thing

It really is remarkably demoralising, I'm not surprised they're hammering it constantly

Bundy posted:

Well, there goes the "olds that still give a poo poo what the Archbishop has to say" vote

Olds will never help us anyway

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jables88 posted:

Yes, this is exactly my point? Painting the burning of money as 'generous' because it's deflationary only makes sense in a world without debt, which I was hoping the 'economists' referenced in the article would understand.
Oh, I thought you were referring to what I said rather than what I quoted. Yeah, it definitely does.

Currency removal is effectively an external wealth transfer from debtors to creditors, especially creditors with other bonds or savings and an ability to defer consumption.

Guy doesn't know what he's talking about, or is trying to justify his edgy art project with something that's the opposite of what he thinks it is.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Camrath posted:

I’m more referring to the broad scale assault of the media classes here than the specific example of antisemitism. However when such things are provably in bad faith then I beg to differ- in the same way that if I (As your local media baron for this example) were to take out blanket coverage falsely accusing someone of any crime. Yes, we have libel laws but those seem somehow insufficient in circumstances like this.

Just give the IPSO some teeth, or replace it with a body who will actually do something. Focusing on publications who are anti-Labour is obviously really dodgy ground, but putting real punishments in place for outlets that tell harmful, deliberate lies (about anyone) would be a start.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
checking the voter registration stats page, today the number of live users is consistently two to three times what it was at the same time yesterday, when 300,000 people registered. So that's positive...

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...

The Tories should be getting concerned about these polls despite the headline lead not changing much. They've had to pretty much entirely cannibalise the Brexit party vote share just to stand still, whilst Labour still have a decent chunk of Lib-Dem and Green to eat into. Very early days but I'm reading more upside for Labour ATM compared to a week or two ago.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/police-investigate-ruth-smeeth-threats-3576339

quote:

Police investigate death threats against General Election candidate Ruth Smeeth

General election candidate Ruth Smeeth has told how she cannot leave her house alone after being bombarded with death threats.

The Labour parliamentary candidate for Stoke-on-Trent North says her Potteries home and office have been turned into ‘fortresses’ and she is forced to carry a panic button in a bid to keep her safe from a potential attack.

Staffordshire Police are investigating the latest incident which saw a death threat hand-delivered to her constituency office last week.

Now that incident has prompted Ms Smeeth to speak out about the ‘terrifying’ messages she has received.

Speaking to StokeonTrentLive, Ms Smeeth said: “Something horrible is happening. There is a General Election on and it will only get worse. I’m not asking for sympathy, I just feel like I need to put down a marker to say this is not normal and it is not acceptable.

'I won't be bullied...'
“I won’t be bullied by anyone. We need to find a way back to respectfully disagreeing with each other, not threatening to hurt each other.”

Ms Smeeth - who has been the Stoke-on-Trent North MP since 2015 - says she has been threatened by the far-left and the far-right and around half the threats have been anti-semitic in nature. The first death threat came when she was chosen as a candidate for the constituency in 2014 - and the situation has snowballed since then.

Up until now, the threats have been made via email or social media but last Thursday’s incident, which saw a piece of Ms Smeeth’s election material doctored and turned into a threat, was the first of its kind.

“Broadly speaking, none of the tangible threats have been from this area before, but I assume the one on Thursday was,” she said. “What made me think is that me and my team just treated it as something normal. The stuff that might have shocked us four years ago is now normal. The stuff that shocks us now is absolutely terrifying.

“The police did a risk assessment and said I was in the top 10 MPs that could be targeted. I think it’s because I’m Jewish, and because I’m a woman. This is all in the shadow of my friend (Labour MP Jo Cox) being murdered. Things seem to have got worse since then."

In 2016, Ms Smeeth was forced to move out of her London home because police did not believe she could be kept safe there, and security measures at her home in Stoke-on-Trent have been continually ramped up since then.

“For the past 18 months or so I have not been allowed on public transport by myself – I can’t go to London on the train without a colleague or one of my team.

"You won’t ever see me at a public engagement by myself and my surgeries have to be appointment only. When I am knocking on doors someone needs to be with me. Someone would have to meet me if I wanted to go for a walk.

“My house is a fortress, my office is a fortress. I’ve got panic buttons in my house, I carry one in my pocket. I have to live in an environment that no-one should have to live in.

“The only way for me to live with that is to start treating it like it’s normal, but it isn’t normal.”

'For my mental health I don’t look at them...'
Ms Smeeth says she is often shielded from the threats she receives by her team, who share any incidents with the police, so she cannot say how many there have been. “My team, my friends and my family all have to deal with this,” she said. “For my mental health I don’t look at them.

“It started off as abuse. When they realised that wasn’t going to change my actions or behaviour that seemed to wind them up even more.

etc

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm hoping that the private polling the Tories are conducting is painting a far less rosy picture for them than the public ones. Hence the Chief Rabbi thing.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm hoping that the private polling the Tories are conducting is painting a far less rosy picture for them than the public ones. Hence the Chief Rabbi thing.

Eh, the Chief Rabbi probably was going to say that some point this election anyways - he probably honestly believes the rubbish coming out of his mouth, thats the benefit of media hysteria. I doubt this was organized by Tory HQ, although they might have got a heads-up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

quote:

she has been threatened by the far-left and the far-right and around half the threats have been anti-semitic in nature
I can guess the distribution. I blame chan culture.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Leggsy posted:

The Tories should be getting concerned about these polls despite the headline lead not changing much. They've had to pretty much entirely cannibalise the Brexit party vote share just to stand still, whilst Labour still have a decent chunk of Lib-Dem and Green to eat into. Very early days but I'm reading more upside for Labour ATM compared to a week or two ago.

The Lib dem vote is stubbornly resistant though, there's not that many points left to take off them because their appeal is to Remain Tories and it's harder to deter those into not voting and impossible to get them to flip to Labour. I suspect this isn't going to shift significantly until the exit poll where the regional impact comes into play - there's still plenty of seats with all the parties standing and who gets in matters hugely.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Eh, the Chief Rabbi probably was going to say that some point this election anyways - he probably honestly believes the rubbish coming out of his mouth, thats the benefit of media hysteria. I doubt this was organized by Tory HQ, although they might have got a heads-up.

True, but it does seem to be timed for maximum political effect, coming hours before Labour announces their race and faith manifesto.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I suspect Tory HQ would have a say in the timing if they wanted it, to help maximise the impact. They could well have arranged for today to depress the voter registration efforts.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
oh so burning money is art but when i suggest burning billionaire mansions it’s a high crime?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tenebrais posted:

I suspect Tory HQ would have a say in the timing if they wanted it, to help maximise the impact. They could well have arranged for today to depress the voter registration efforts.
It might have been better timed closer to the election, it might depress registration a little but even the "they're all bad" people can still be asked to register anyway and reconsider closer to the election, by which time he can't really do it again (although he may try).

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Nothingtoseehere posted:

You have to admit that making his big denouncement on the very day that Labour present their Race and Faith manifesto (which promises to make attacks on places of worship aggravated crimes) smacks of some sort of co-ordination and collusion.

E: We've had the MI5 denouncements and the religious denouncements now. What's left for the shocking day-before-election news drop. It ain't gonna be Russia.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 26, 2019

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Sanford posted:

I exerted unfair pressure on some young people I know in order to further my own political objectives:

:aaaaa:

That's your Twitter name? You and Owlfancier should hook up! :kimchi:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

mediadave posted:

checking the voter registration stats page, today the number of live users is consistently two to three times what it was at the same time yesterday, when 300,000 people registered. So that's positive...

I wonder if we'll top a million

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Braggart posted:

Haha that's not me, it's my friend's band. I'm not allowed on social media because I have... views.

You know what I'll give them a reciprocal signal boost. Those of you who like this awful nonsense that is apparently meant to be music, Raised by Owls have a Christmas single out and all the proceeds are going to charity.

https://twitter.com/RaisedByOwlsUK/status/1197603786459688960

Sanford fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 26, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Braggart posted:

No one tell them about the owls in my computer :ninja:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/joelgolby/status/1199321620059492357

I love Joel Golby

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1199319190043279360?s=20
https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1199320759920943105?s=20

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
How can something called 'Institute of Economic Affairs' be a charity :lol:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I think it depends on whether you are there as a representative of the charity or just an economist or something - Grace Blakeley has to be careful about telling people to support Labour if she's doing stuff on behalf of the IPPR at the time.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1199321058488266763?s=19

The poll grind is real and exhausting, but it's interesting to see what happens when the voodoo of turnout weightings are removed...

Usual caveats apply (national poll, landline, etc.)

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Camrath posted:

I’m more referring to the broad scale assault of the media classes here than the specific example of antisemitism. However when such things are provably in bad faith then I beg to differ- in the same way that if I (As your local media baron for this example) were to take out blanket coverage falsely accusing someone of any crime. Yes, we have libel laws but those seem somehow insufficient in circumstances like this.

Leveson 2 is coming my friend. A Labour government is an existential crisis for some elements of the media. This is one of the reasons they are fighting against the idea so hard :getin:

:yeshaha:

Incidentally, does your name stand for the Campaign for Real Ale (True Hops)?

Those loving splitters...

;)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

sinky posted:

How can something called 'Institute of Economic Affairs' be a charity :lol:

Because as a charity it enjoys a great many tax breaks.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you said "Why was something called Institute of Economic Affairs' be a charity."

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Braggart posted:

Leveson 2 is coming my friend. A Labour government is an existential crisis for some elements of the media. This is one of the reasons they are fighting against the idea so hard :getin:

:yeshaha:

Incidentally, does your name stand for the Campaign for Real Ale (True Hops)?

Those loving splitters...

;)

Lol, sadly not. It's a pseudonym/online persona/now defunct fursona(insert shudder here)I've used since the 90s.

I am however going to tell people it's what you just said from now on, because that's some funny poo poo.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

I like that this article makes absolutely no bones about the fact that "register to vote" explicitly means "register to vote and then vote for Labour"

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1197223092486959104

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Turnout weighting is when you boost Tory percent to account for “the shy Tory” problem when people won’t admit to pollsters that they are planning to vote Tory in the GE

They all do it so there is a minimum 2-5% boost of any Tory %

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, in proportion to how much of it they already hold you giant dingus.

Also by far, far less than just giving it away :signings:

This is homeopathic economics from the "technically there's a grain of truth in what I'm saying :smug:" crowd.

The Pissflaps school of economics.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Huh, a couple of colleagues have asked me if I'd heard the "Gove racism" on Twitter, I'm going to piss my pants if Gove manages to overshadow the attempt to overshadow Labour's anti-racism manifesto by being a stupid white racist attempting to mock Stormzy

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jel Shaker posted:

Turnout weighting is when you boost Tory percent to account for “the shy Tory” problem when people won’t admit to pollsters that they are planning to vote Tory in the GE

The different age brackets do turn out differently as well as vote differently, it's not just people lying to pollsters.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Jel Shaker posted:

alternatively,

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

This Is Bad For Jeremy Corbyn

https://twitter.com/andrewfeinstein/status/1199282458098831360

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

Compare this with jam man who wanted to talk to the man screaming at him about the scarf before being dragged away by his press team.

wait what is this?

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Breaking my lurkstreak to beg for reassurance that the UCU strike is going better for others of you in it. Where I am I just feel outnumbered not just by people not striking but people who voted for the strike but are now not taking part.

I get that it's a long one with big immediate individual financial implications, and many feel ill equipped to weather it. I just worry that it's doomed to failure already.

Gimme some of that GE optimism.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

A couple of days I ago I posted about that theatre show in Marylebone where attendees are planning to burn money to prove that it's a "neutral utilitarian systemic infrastructure" or something (https://www.thecockpit.org.uk/show/church_of_burn). I'm going to be outside on the night with a charity bucket raising money for a homeless shelter (one that doesn't report to the Home Office). I've been sent this response from the producer of it. Can someone more versed in academic bollocks untangle it for me:

https://www.docdroid.net/cNJ48Cf/statement-from-church-of-burn-producer-1.pdf

quote:

I should tell you, that even though I earn below the national average wage, I’ve wasted exponentially more money than I’ve ever burned, on all sorts of unnecessary things. I expect you do, too.

Oh I see so two wrongs make a right? :thunk:

Do it. Shame these cunts! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Vlex posted:

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1199321058488266763?s=19

The poll grind is real and exhausting, but it's interesting to see what happens when the voodoo of turnout weightings are removed...

Usual caveats apply (national poll, landline, etc.)

The interesting thing is turnout weighting can actually benefit us. I took the ICM data (the one showing Tory 41% and labour 34%) and reweighted the data with the turnouts by age from the 2017 election - so instead of guessing turnout, I assume it'll be same as 2017. Doing that, the Tories were still on 41%, and labour was only on 32%. Might be showing success of mobilization efforts, but the turnout stats aren't skewed far from reality in the IPM poll.

With no turnout weighting but discarding won't vote/don't know you end up with 35% labour and 40% Tory - so we've got soft voters dangling that we need to shore up. Also, men are more likely to say they'll vote Tory/Lib Dem than women, women are more likely to say Don't Know instead. proportions for Labour by gender are roughly equal, though.