Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
They were mandatory for my 9th grade calculus class in 1993 and for literally every math class I took in college. (Shut up. I had no life.)

Texas Instruments has a well-oiled shakedown going with universities and highschools, all the curriculums and tests for anything more advanced than basic arithmetic call for TI calculators by name and often model - at least they did in the 1990s, and I assume it is worse now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1199132418566971394

:ughh:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The worst part is that TI calculators suck loving rear end, Casio fx-115es 'til I die bitch

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Lol if you didn't use your calculator exclusively to play snake and drug lord

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Absolved is the new convicted, guys

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sherman wept.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Kesper North posted:

They were mandatory for my 9th grade calculus class in 1993 and for literally every math class I took in college. (Shut up. I had no life.)

Texas Instruments has a well-oiled shakedown going with universities and highschools, all the curriculums and tests for anything more advanced than basic arithmetic call for TI calculators by name and often model - at least they did in the 1990s, and I assume it is worse now.

otoh, lol if you didn't figure out how to write programs to cheat on tests and store them in non-volatile memory so that you could "wipe" your calculator and just restore it from backup

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Jarmak posted:

What the gently caress does a high school kid need with a TI-83? I got one (well the 84) for engineering school and still was pretty much a convenience not a necessity 95% of the time.

As has been stated, national standardized tests require them and expect that it's a TI specifically.

I never used mine after high school and that includes engineering physics and calculus in college. All I ever needed was a scientific calculator. The exceptions were specific assignments that we were required to use lab computers with Mathematica on them. I have never needed a graphing calculator except for test questions that were written to specifically need it.

It's a complete scam, but teachers can't refuse to participate because the national testing companies are too powerful.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

hobbesmaster posted:

You can take up to calculus 2 in some high schools as well as calculus based physics.

The real reason of course is that the TI-83s are allowed on many national exams...

You shouldn’t use a calculator at all in calc 2. Calc 2 is where you lean how to do every function of a calculator by hand.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Look at all these fuckin' nerds who did math and poo poo.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Students should learn how to do all of their math in excel. They’ll still learn how to punch a calculator and it’ll be a skill that’s 100% more likely to be relevant after school.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There is a tremendous amount of value, if you are going to actually use a lot of calculus in your profession, that you understand the underlying principles. Using a calculator or excel will not teach you any of that. Calculators should be used only to enhance math education.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

So make it relevant to the college major.

As an accounting major I didn’t need to know sin and cos and it would have been infinitely more helpful to the beginning stages of my career to have a more comprehensive excel background. I need to know the how’s and why’s of excel, not calculus.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

colachute posted:

Students should learn how to do all of their math in excel. They’ll still learn how to punch a calculator and it’ll be a skill that’s 100% more likely to be relevant after school.

realtalk this 1000%

excel is my biggest weakness

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The only excel function you need to know is how to make that red box green hua?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1199181946166874112?s=19

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

colachute posted:

So make it relevant to the college major.

As an accounting major I didn’t need to know sin and cos and it would have been infinitely more helpful to the beginning stages of my career to have a more comprehensive excel background. I need to know the how’s and why’s of excel, not calculus.

For accounting, yes. That’s why accountants rarely need more than business calc.

For engineering, econometrics, physics, computer science, and other such fields, a more fundamental understanding of calculus is necessary.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

big boy getting things done because hes PRESIDENTIAL

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

For accounting, yes. That’s why accountants rarely need more than business calc.

For engineering, econometrics, physics, computer science, and other such fields, a more fundamental understanding of calculus is necessary.

How about a middle ground: teach the fundamentals, but instead of introducing calculators to bolster the education, you use excel — which I was trying to get at originally.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

My wife's a hs math teacher and when she told me how much those were still going for I knew there was some bullshit going on. All other tech from the time I was in high school would sell for fractions of a cent.

colachute posted:

Students should learn how to do all of their math in excel. They'll still learn how to punch a calculator and it'll be a skill that's 100% more likely to be relevant after school.

poo poo, I run my own software consulting business and I wish I'd been taught that way. I can't think of a time anything I've done required more advanced math than algebra but I get asked to create stupid reports in excel all the time and I'm always googling to remember how to do things.

Of course I'm glad I have the knowledge of higher level math but this is a lot more practical.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Excel is loving terrible for serious math. Also it just replaces one proprietary solution with another.
I mostly use MATLAB which is great but that's hilariously exclusive once you get out of academics, thousands to tens of thousands dollar a year exclusive. Supposedly numpy is a pretty good frer alternative I'll have to look into.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

colachute posted:

How about a middle ground: teach the fundamentals, but instead of introducing calculators to bolster the education, you use excel — which I was trying to get at originally.

Excel is limited in what it can do. Yes, all accounting and adjacent business/finance people need to know excel. The people that go further need more advanced tools.

Also not every school has a computer per student.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Mr. Nice! posted:

Excel is limited in what it can do. Yes, all accounting and adjacent business/finance people need to know excel. The people that go further need more advanced tools.

Also not every school has a computer per student.

You can keep adding qualifiers to why it won’t work, but excel impacts such a huge number of jobs that it should be more integrated into education.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Gonna use my TI-83 to calculate how many people are gonna die from climate change because whoooooooweeeee we are hosed

quote:

Should that pace continue, scientists say, the result could be widespread, catastrophic effects: Coral reefs, already dying in some places, would probably dissolve in increasingly acidic oceans. Some coastal cities, already wrestling with flooding, would be constantly inundated by rising seas. In much of the world, severe heat, already intense, could become unbearable.

Global greenhouse gas emissions must begin falling by 7.6 percent each year beginning 2020 — a rate currently nowhere in sight — to meet the most ambitious aims of the Paris climate accord, the report issued early Tuesday found. Its authors acknowledged that the findings are “bleak.” After all, the world has never demonstrated the ability to cut greenhouse gas emissions on such a scale.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clim...climate-change/

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
We don't need to teach Excel in math class but we should be teaching probability and statistics before calculus. I have an MS in geology and I needed statistics more than calculus, but was far less proficient because it's not emphasized. Every branch of science uses statistics. Very few actual professionals are going to sit down and work out differential equations by hand.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

colachute posted:

You can keep adding qualifiers to why it won’t work, but excel impacts such a huge number of jobs that it should be more integrated into education.

Agreed.

I work in a job that requires pouring through massive amounts of primary source documents for a history research product, and I use excel daily. Like power user levels of use, not just data entry. Prior to that, I was working on statistical tables based on gov data, which also called for excel. I realize working in DC skews things a bit, but that also seems to be the norm everywhere else.

Looking back, I would have been far better served by my primary schooling if they took the time to teach us core Excel concepts. I remember my first internship having to bumblefuck my way through using Excel because no one had thought to teach me anything with it. I'm lucky in that I've always had a knack for computer touching and I know how to figure out most problems in excel using one simple formula Literally googling the problem with the word "solution" tacked on to it

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Also looks like we’re going to need another Patreon so we can hire the A-Team for the Tax Man so he can get his daughter back.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

colachute posted:

im with cole on this, yes its another proprietary solution but one that carries on to so much else.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Too bad you fat cross-eyed sack of poo poo.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/11/25/sarah-sanders-i-dont-like-being-called-liar/

quote:

Sarah Sanders: ‘I don’t like being called a liar’

That Works fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 26, 2019

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Also looks like we’re going to need another Patreon so we can hire the A-Team for the Tax Man so he can get his daughter back.

What's Liam Neeson doing these days?

Oh and hey the world is hosed good to know.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Gonna use my TI-83 to calculate how many people are gonna die from climate change because whoooooooweeeee we are hosed

If global warming is real then why am I cold today? Sounds like greedy scientists and whiney zoomers to me

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

quote is not edit

That Works fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 26, 2019

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've taken Excel about as far as I can take it with my job. My workbooks are a horrendous mess by the time some of our bigger projects are done. That's why I'm learning Pandas now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I'm just glad the rich are going to get richer

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Yes, why wasn't the centennial of women's suffrage not earlier in history???

:thunk:

BigDave posted:

What's Liam Neeson doing these days?

Oh and hey the world is hosed good to know.

Last I heard, some disturbingly racist remarks

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Thump! posted:

Last I heard, some disturbingly racist remarks

He's gonna become a FN contributor any day now

brains
May 12, 2004

AlexanderCA posted:

Excel is loving terrible for serious math. Also it just replaces one proprietary solution with another.
I mostly use MATLAB which is great but that's hilariously exclusive once you get out of academics, thousands to tens of thousands dollar a year exclusive. Supposedly numpy is a pretty good frer alternative I'll have to look into.

for all the useless proprietary crap forced on students in the interest of profit margins, excel is solidly in the category of "real-world relevance." even a basic familiarity with excel and the ability to google the rest puts someone ahead of their peers for a huge sampling of jobs, especially entry-level stuff.

teaching excel and word skills should come right alongside teaching basic financial planning, budgeting, and... :(

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
how does this help us in football

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

We modeled jet engines in Excel in one of my aero classes lol

It was impressive how much we could do with just a Calculus add-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Thump! posted:

Yes, why wasn't the centennial of women's suffrage not earlier in history???

:thunk:

There's a way to interpret that as an intentional joke/comment that women should have gotten the vote much earlier. It's just... not plausible coming from him.