Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Alhazred posted:

Isn't that Lady Shiva?

As much as Chuck Dixon has degenerated lately, that was something I always liked about Shiva in his time on the books: she was the best at hand-to-hand, which meant if somebody beat her, it was because they cheated like hell.

The Batman I prefer to read is the one who isn't necessarily the very best at anything, except maybe ruthless pragmatism. You gotta give negative fucks to first give a man motor neuron disease, then punch him the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cleretic posted:

Except for, apparently, Mister Terriffic. Who considers himself the third smartest human in the world

What a weird thing to think about oneself. Did they take a test to determine the ranking?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lobok posted:

What a weird thing to think about oneself. Did they take a test to determine the ranking?

I really like the JLU thing where J'onn is the guy on primary Watchtower duty because keeping tabs on the entire Earth and space and all the heroes and villains is an immense task suited to someone with supernatural intelligence and awareness. And when J'onn peaces out, they get Mister Terrific to fill in because he's basically the closest Earth has to offer.

So, in short, Mister Terrific probably ran the numbers because he's always running the numbers, and he's smart enough to do it, and he's the kind of guy paying attention to all those details all the time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I refuse to believe Batman is smarter than dudes like Dr. Sivana or Will Magnus

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

ImpAtom posted:

Has Batman ever invented even one killer robot?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Unfortunately yes.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #12 (1951)

Spidey Super Stories #9 (1975)

Terror Inc. #1 (1992)

Batman: Shadow of the Bat #57 (1996)

X-Statix #3 (2002)

Ms. Marvel #3 (2014)

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #2 (2016)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ImpAtom posted:

How many times has Batman been apprehended by a 10 year old?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Darthemed posted:

Ms. Marvel #3 (2014)

I need to figure out how to set a custom no battery image.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Batman's thing is sort of like Amadeus Cho being the 7th smartest in the world: He isn't the VERY BEST at anything but he's always competitive enough that unless your gimmick is 'literally the best' he's probably as good or better than you.

Yes, even at detectiveing, Ralph Dibny used to kick his rear end nine ways to Sunday without a billion dollar computer. :colbert:

I liked the extension of that idea where each member of the Bat-Family was better than him in at least one aspect. Cassandra is a better fighter, Barbara is a better hacker, Dick is a better leader, Jason understands the criminal mind better, Tim's a better detective, so on and so forth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

How many times has Batman been apprehended by a 10 year old?

I am pretty sure Robin has outsmarted his rear end on multiple occasions.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Alacron posted:

I liked the extension of that idea where each member of the Bat-Family was better than him in at least one aspect. Cassandra is a better fighter, Barbara is a better hacker, Dick is a better leader, Jason understands the criminal mind better, Tim's a better detective, so on and so forth.

Demian's more insufferable.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alacron posted:

The opposite of Doc Savage's team, who exist to be outclassed by Savage.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Alacron posted:

And Ace is better at licking his own rear end.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 26, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

TwoPair posted:

For now.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TwoPair posted:

Ace is better at being a Good Boy.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

hup posted:

That part was from Brad Meltzer’s run, actually! Same art team though.

You're right, it's been a long time. That same book had another one of my favorite moments - a REALLY pissed off Ollie and.. I think Roy? Possibly Connor.. anyway, they end up tracking down the guy and they both fire arrows at the guy to pin him to the wall so he can't get away. Roy gets him by the fabric of his shirt, Ollie gets him through the shoulder. At the same time they both say "You missed."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

New Leaf posted:

You're right, it's been a long time. That same book had another one of my favorite moments - a REALLY pissed off Ollie and.. I think Roy? Possibly Connor.. anyway, they end up tracking down the guy and they both fire arrows at the guy to pin him to the wall so he can't get away. Roy gets him by the fabric of his shirt, Ollie gets him through the shoulder. At the same time they both say "You missed."

That dude was Catman who would go on to be fully rehabbed by Gail Simone in Secret Six.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

This is basically straight from a time travel scifi novel i cant remember the name of right now. Dude gets stuck in the past and takes out ads like this. May have been done more than once.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Darthemed posted:

Let's learn about the history of ZIP CODES! Doeasn't that just sound great, kids?!

During World War II, thousands of experienced postal employees left to serve with the military. To offset the loss, in May 1943 the Post Office Department began a zoning address system in 124 of the largest cities. Under this system, delivery units or zones were identified by one or two numbers between the city and state — for example, Birmingham 7, Alabama — so that mail could be separated by employees who did not have detailed scheme knowledge.

Twenty years later, the Department implemented an even farther reaching plan, the Zoning Improvement Plan (ZIP) Code.

The social correspondence of the 19th century had given way, gradually then explosively, to business mail. By 1963, 80 percent of all mail in the United States was business mail. The development of the computer brought centralization of accounts and sent a growing mass of utility bills and payments, bank deposits and receipts, advertising, magazines, credit card transactions, mortgage bills and payments, and Social Security checks through the mail. Yet while mail volume grew and while the Post Office Department had been at the forefront of advances in transportation, the methods and much of the equipment used to sort mail in thousands of Post Offices remained the same as in Benjamin Franklin’s day. A better way to sort mail was needed.

In June 1962, after a study of mechanization, the presidentially appointed Advisory Board of the Post Office Department made several recommendations. One was the development of a coding system, an idea the Department had considered for a decade or more. A number of coding programs were examined and discarded before the Department selected a system advanced by Department officials. Postmaster General J. Edward Day announced that the ZIP Code would launch July 1, 1963.

Preparing for the new system involved a realignment of the mail system. The Post Office Department had previously recognized that new avenues of transportation would open and had begun to establish focal points for air, highway, and rail transportation. Called the Metro System, these transportation centers were set up around 85 of the country’s larger cities to deflect mail from congested city streets. The Metro concept was expanded and eventually became the core of 552 sectional centers, each serving between 40 and 150 surrounding Post Offices.

Once these sectional centers were delineated, the next step in establishing the ZIP Code was to assign codes to the centers and the postal addresses they served. The existence of postal zones in the larger cities, set in motion in 1943, helped to some extent, but in cases where the old zones failed to fit within the delivery areas, new numbers had to be assigned.

By July 1963, a five-digit code had been assigned to every address throughout the country. The first digit designated a broad geographical area of the United States, ranging from zero for the Northeast to nine for the far West. This number was followed by two digits that more closely pinpointed population concentrations and those sectional centers accessible to common transportation networks. The final two digits designated small Post Offices or postal zones in larger zoned cities.

The ZIP Code began as scheduled. At first, use of the new code was not mandatory for anyone, but in 1967, the Department required mailers of second- and third-class bulk mail to presort by ZIP Code. The public and business mailers alike adapted well to its use. n

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

This is basically straight from a time travel scifi novel i cant remember the name of right now. Dude gets stuck in the past and takes out ads like this. May have been done more than once.

I thought of Asimov's The End of Eternity where they find someone lost in time because he puts out an ad mentioning nuclear power or something similar.

There might have been more, I guess.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

Let's learn about the history of ZIP CODES! Doeasn't that just sound great, kids?!

This might have been a joke post, but I actually found it kind of interesting

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Cross-posted to PYF Historical Fun Fact

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If something like this was tried today, Republicans would fight it hard, claiming it's the mark of the devil and state's rights and whatnot all while claiming the Post Office is a waste of federal resources and really why don't you spend more and use a nice private company like FedEx?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Vincent posted:

Demian's more insufferable.

Serious answer, Damian's more ruthless.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Isn't that just copied and pasted directly from the USPS website? Like even with the little stray "n" at the very end?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

If something like this was tried today, Republicans would fight it hard, claiming it's the mark of the devil and state's rights and whatnot all while claiming the Post Office is a waste of federal resources and really why don't you spend more and use a nice private company like FedEx?

Hahaha, Republicans will never admit that private solutions cost more. They'd just say that this is an example of the Federal Government illegally subsidizing your postcards to grandma.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The Lone Badger posted:

Ace is better at being a Good Boy.

https://twitter.com/kibblesmith/status/1199392678976348160

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Plastik posted:

Hahaha, Republicans will never admit that private solutions cost more. They'd just say that this is an example of the Federal Government illegally subsidizing your postcards to grandma.
Well, that part wouldn't be stated, but you are correct.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Archyduchess posted:

Isn't that just copied and pasted directly from the USPS website? Like even with the little stray "n" at the very end?

I thought he was going to cap it with a gamer word but changed his mind in the last minute.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

I wasn't sure if I should get excited about Annihilation: Scourge, but drunken Richard Rider, Cosmo, and Annihilus is a team I can get behind. From Annihilation: Scourge Alpha.

Miguel takes on the Tweenage Irritable Librarian Gangster Pirate Butcher ? Geckos in Dial H for Hero #9.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Wikifeet is a scourge on every universe.
From Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #4

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

One More Fat Nerd posted:

"Replay" by Ken Grimwood has almost this exact scenario except he's reincarnating in his past body and living his life over again and trying to find others doing the same.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Johnny Aztec posted:

During World War II, thousands of experienced postal employees left to serve with the military. To offset the loss, in May 1943 the Post Office Department began a zoning address system in 124 of the largest cities. Under this system, delivery units or zones were identified by one or two numbers between the city and state — for example, Birmingham 7, Alabama — so that mail could be separated by employees who did not have detailed scheme knowledge.

Twenty years later, the Department implemented an even farther reaching plan, the Zoning Improvement Plan (ZIP) Code.

The social correspondence of the 19th century had given way, gradually then explosively, to business mail. By 1963, 80 percent of all mail in the United States was business mail. The development of the computer brought centralization of accounts and sent a growing mass of utility bills and payments, bank deposits and receipts, advertising, magazines, credit card transactions, mortgage bills and payments, and Social Security checks through the mail. Yet while mail volume grew and while the Post Office Department had been at the forefront of advances in transportation, the methods and much of the equipment used to sort mail in thousands of Post Offices remained the same as in Benjamin Franklin’s day. A better way to sort mail was needed.

In June 1962, after a study of mechanization, the presidentially appointed Advisory Board of the Post Office Department made several recommendations. One was the development of a coding system, an idea the Department had considered for a decade or more. A number of coding programs were examined and discarded before the Department selected a system advanced by Department officials. Postmaster General J. Edward Day announced that the ZIP Code would launch July 1, 1963.

Preparing for the new system involved a realignment of the mail system. The Post Office Department had previously recognized that new avenues of transportation would open and had begun to establish focal points for air, highway, and rail transportation. Called the Metro System, these transportation centers were set up around 85 of the country’s larger cities to deflect mail from congested city streets. The Metro concept was expanded and eventually became the core of 552 sectional centers, each serving between 40 and 150 surrounding Post Offices.

Once these sectional centers were delineated, the next step in establishing the ZIP Code was to assign codes to the centers and the postal addresses they served. The existence of postal zones in the larger cities, set in motion in 1943, helped to some extent, but in cases where the old zones failed to fit within the delivery areas, new numbers had to be assigned.

By July 1963, a five-digit code had been assigned to every address throughout the country. The first digit designated a broad geographical area of the United States, ranging from zero for the Northeast to nine for the far West. This number was followed by two digits that more closely pinpointed population concentrations and those sectional centers accessible to common transportation networks. The final two digits designated small Post Offices or postal zones in larger zoned cities.

The ZIP Code began as scheduled. At first, use of the new code was not mandatory for anyone, but in 1967, the Department required mailers of second- and third-class bulk mail to presort by ZIP Code. The public and business mailers alike adapted well to its use. n

Thank you!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I was sad to see Kibblesmith's Loki go. It was a little inconsistent but overall I enjoyed it.

From Loki #5.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Unkempt posted:

"Replay" by Ken Grimwood has almost this exact scenario except he's reincarnating in his past body and living his life over again and trying to find others doing the same.

There's a recent novel with a similar plot called The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August and it's terrible.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
That's also Moira McTaggert' mutant power now.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I was sad to see Kibblesmith's Loki go. It was a little inconsistent but overall I enjoyed it.

From Loki #5.

I love the idea that they tried to jail a god and he just stuck around for the fun of it. Loki is such a good character when written right.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Push El Burrito posted:

I love the idea that they tried to jail a god and he just stuck around for the fun of it. Loki is such a good character when written right.

I feel like Thor should have shown up at some point and said, "you have to know the only reason he's still here is because he wants to be, right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Dillbag posted:

There's a recent novel with a similar plot called The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August and it's terrible.

I have literally never heard anyone say that about that seriously amazing book. Everyone, this guy is a big moron go read it, I loved it.