Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Munkeymon posted:

I'm assuming it's an act, but I don't know to what end.

Who can honestly tell the true motivations of the multi-millionaire ex-president who whiles away his retirement windsurfing off the coast of billionaire island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

one of the things I appreciate but also lament of this thread is how much it's made me realize that drat, Obama really does suck rear end

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

ozmunkeh posted:

Who can honestly tell the true motivations of the multi-millionaire ex-president who whiles away his retirement windsurfing off the coast of billionaire island.

Vaping and arugula, his two great loves.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tatsuta Age posted:

one of the things I appreciate but also lament of this thread is how much it's made me realize that drat, Obama really does suck rear end

Yeah, but I don't mind people just passively coming to the realization. I don't need trumpets blazing, I'm just happy with the new attitude of "lets get all of it next time" a lot folks have now.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I think it's more that he didn't learn the lessons we wanted him to learn. Let's face it, B-Rock has more in common with GWB than he has with us.

It makes my stomach flip to think that the only lesson he learned is that of Clarence Thomas, equality only comes from getting rich.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

Playing moderate peacemaker is how you lose. Bush and his cronies should've been tried.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I haven't seen this much angsty atheist in D&D for a while. I guess these things go in cycles?

Anyway, remember that it is important to understand spirituality as a motivating factor, and WHY it's a motivating factor, for both one's allies and enemies. For every crypto-fascist Evangelical or SSPXII person you meet that's trying to wreck things, there is probably a Jesuit or Unitarian or Jimmy Carter who are trying to work with us towards tolerance, understanding, and a better world. Saying things like "religion is a poison" and what have you isn't constructive and makes it easier for people to not take you seriously.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Groovelord Neato posted:

Playing moderate peacemaker is how you lose. Bush and his cronies should've been tried.

So many Civ-like games have proven that you can only get away with that if you're much more powerful than everyone else

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ozmunkeh posted:

He also never seemed very concerned about what Trump was doing and kept windsurfing

If it was me and the country was at stake I would try to at least do something.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I remember shortly after the election he said he was going to work on voting rights/gerrymandering, but I don’t know how much he’s done on it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I haven't seen this much angsty atheist in D&D for a while. I guess these things go in cycles?

Anyway, remember that it is important to understand spirituality as a motivating factor, and WHY it's a motivating factor, for both one's allies and enemies. For every crypto-fascist Evangelical or SSPXII person you meet that's trying to wreck things, there is probably a Jesuit or Unitarian or Jimmy Carter who are trying to work with us towards tolerance, understanding, and a better world. Saying things like "religion is a poison" and what have you isn't constructive and makes it easier for people to not take you seriously.

One person said one harsh thing about religion, the rest has been pretty respectful, and this is in the context of President TRUMO being hailed "the chosen one" to no outcry from any of the good ones like ol Jimmy.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

DC United should change their club name to DC Wolves

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Despite what Republicans hysterically screeched for a decade, Obama’s politics have always been incredibly conservative.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

He didn't learn a drat thing from being president.

Not true, he learned how to become ultra-rich and how to join the global elite.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

He also never seemed very concerned about what Trump was doing and kept windsurfing

If it was me and the country was at stake I would try to at least do something.

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1199371272884490242

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Literally dumber than Trump

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

god i hate decorum poo poo. i think robert evans put it best that one of obama's biggest problem is that he overthinks everything and tries to pull west wing galaxy brain solutions to keep norms and or he thinks himself out of a good decsions because what about the norms or some poo poo.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Obama was a Reagan Republican.

quote:

His famous phrase, “Hard things are hard,” which was made into a plaque he kept on his desk, was not a reference to the Affordable Care Act, as is commonly believed. According to top strategist David Axelrod, it was a reference to entitlement cuts, to Obama’s genuine desire to impose some kind of austerity on Social Security and Medicare in return for a deal with the Republicans on taxes and the debt.

It is telling that Obama chose to endorse Macron and Trudeau, but stays silent on other crucial elections.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 26, 2019

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Obamailure.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

osker posted:

It makes my stomach flip to think that the only lesson he learned is that of Clarence Thomas, equality only comes from getting rich.

He wasn't wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYOjWnS4cMY

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Tatsuta Age posted:

It says a lot about him that he wouldnt speak out while trump was removing any trace of his work, but suddenly decides he may need to speak up if Bernie outshines him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol just imagine worrying about norms when a game show host who's the dumbest man alive is president.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
just a reminder that the Obama DoJ didn't peruse prosecution on a single Wall Street exec despite there being overwhelming public support for it. Juxtapose that with the GW Bush admin dismantling everyone in Enron, whose CEO was a personal friend of Bush

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Obama won in 2008 by running super far left, even though he wasn’t, and then Hillary lost because she assumed that people liked Obama because he had just governed as a centrist, when really everyone just never stopped thinking he was far left.

Obviously though in 2020 the public demands a centrist Democrat and the field has moved too far left.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

That makes sense except that Trump's heart might not pop before January 2021, so that particular norm is probably about to get killed, too, anyway.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol just imagine worrying about norms when a game show host who's the dumbest man alive is president.

You gotta respect the sanctity of the office, even when it's occupied by Crime Clown.

Something my dad believes until next election.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Stereotype posted:

Obama won in 2008 by running super far left,
Uhhhh, no, not really.

He did a fantastic job of running a campaign where you could project what you wanted onto him, but he talked about unity and bipartisanship a LOT.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

Uhhhh, no, not really.

He did a fantastic job of running a campaign where you could project what you wanted onto him, but he talked about unity and bipartisanship a LOT.

When you're running on Hope and Change after the worst economic disaster since the Great Depression most people are gonna expect a transformation of the system not a return to the status quo.

The recession is what caused me to move from right to left and I was expecting Obama to be what Bernie Sanders is.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

When you're running on Hope and Change after the worst economic disaster since the Great Depression most people are gonna expect a transformation of the system not a return to the status quo.

The recession is what caused me to move from right to left and I was expecting Obama to be what Bernie Sanders is.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

That seems to be you agreeing with what I said exactly

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Obama thought FDR moved too fast in his first 100 days and should have cooperated with the banks more.

theflyingorc posted:

Uhhhh, no, not really.

He said as much.

quote:

In the prologue to the second of his autobiographies, "The Audacity of Hope," Barack Obama said: "I serve as a blank screen on which people of vastly different political stripes project their own views."

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
how soon until Turkey corruption bubbles up?

https://thebulwark.com/trumps-turkey-corruption-is-way-worse-than-you-realize/

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
lmao at anyone who thought Obama campaigned on being super left.

There’s a lot to critique Obama on, but he governed almost exactly how he campaigned.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I mean this really isn't surprising, I remember some of this stuff coming up when Trump decided to abandon the Kurds to be slaughtered.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

whydirt posted:

lmao at anyone who thought Obama campaigned on being super left

Agreed he wanted to execute pedophiles rather than jail them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I really hope they kick this Obama guy out of office next year

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I Want Nothing Said About Obama.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Not only that, but the same man is taking those norms and shoving them in a shredder

He has refused to comment about all of the criminal acts Trump has done but apparently he’s more worried about Warren or Sanders getting the nomination

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

It already has. Flynn went down for lying about cooking up poo poo with Turkey. That was always very obviously the tip of the iceberg there. The thing is, there's just so many crimes, and none of his mafioso underlings have sufficient incentive to uncover it all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

whydirt posted:

lmao at anyone who thought Obama campaigned on being super left.

There’s a lot to critique Obama on, but he governed almost exactly how he campaigned.

Yeah maybe a lot of posters are young and don't remember how Obama campaigned hard on uniting Americans, reaching across the aisle, finding common ground, etc.

He promoted a vaguely more left concept of the nation than we had at the time, but it wasn't radical by any means. I think people just forget how utterly dark the time seemed, coming out of Iraq and right in the beginning of the Great Recession.