Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

loving beautiful.

They should have sent a poet.

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Munin posted:

Dropping chaff and only barely able to get away?

Dropping my burning load early as I panically pulled up

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q4jFN1IGwQ

"Combat icebreaker". The words make perfect sense, and yet, if they'd been presented to me out of context I'd be expecting another Earth 2150 sequel.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
:catstare:
https://youtu.be/Ch2Rqte6XOs

So, Dafur Antisat is a defense contractor now?

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Groda posted:

This is how Russia ships stuff to North Korea, Syria and all those other places they shouldn't be.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Russia ships things in.... containers and boats?!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Groda posted:

Do those things have their own generators or

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

mlmp08 posted:

Russia ships things in.... containers and boats?!

Weapon systems in non-marked TEU's.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cross-post:

Nebakenezzer posted:

My work recieved a gas mask and a old mess kit today, and the mask included the instructions/maintenance card that came with it. Aside from smelling faintly of piss (not sure if that was the fault of a cat or the still sealed package of "wipes" that came with it) it is pretty cool. Here is the instruction card for, well, various forms of attack. (Canadian, early-mid cold war)

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

someone lost their pilots license today

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/26/white-house-on-lockdown-due-to-airspace-violation-fighter-jets-scrambled.html

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
What's Jerry been up to?

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
Looks like it was just a flock of birds.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hauldren Collider posted:

Looks like it was just a flock of seagulls

Or ninety-nine luftballoons!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I thought NASAMS was in DC, sad we didn’t get a SLAMRAAM video

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs1isFQHRyI

Tias
May 25, 2008

That canadian mask being quoted reminded me that I just learned about Danish preparations for going hot in the 60s. Apparently the chemist responsible for designing the "people's gas mask" that was assigned en masse to shelters came out recently and shared the design with a documentary: It didn't really work against nerve agents, and anyway full functionality was depending on a tight seal and achieving it in seconds. She thought it would work well enough to get people to a WMD-sealed shelter.

The documentarist was a weapons historian and stated in his Danish way that it would work about as well as a "tailor in hell". After a hit the streets would just be littered with corpses wearing gas masks, which he drily commented would be even worse for morale than regular corpses.

NecessaryEvil
Aug 10, 2006
Professional Slacker

My dad thanks you for the non-music version of this.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Tias posted:

That canadian mask being quoted reminded me that I just learned about Danish preparations for going hot in the 60s. Apparently the chemist responsible for designing the "people's gas mask" that was assigned en masse to shelters came out recently and shared the design with a documentary: It didn't really work against nerve agents, and anyway full functionality was depending on a tight seal and achieving it in seconds. She thought it would work well enough to get people to a WMD-sealed shelter.

The documentarist was a weapons historian and stated in his Danish way that it would work about as well as a "tailor in hell". After a hit the streets would just be littered with corpses wearing gas masks, which he drily commented would be even worse for morale than regular corpses.

With nerve agents, it's going to reduce the actual exposure quite a bit, seeing as all you have left is absorption through the skin, which isn't as effective as actually reaching lung tissue. Besides, as long as you don't get nerve gas in your holes, most of the decontamination is achieved by removing contaminated clothing. A truly concentrated chemical environment isn't really meant to be survived by anyone but those with a mask and full sealed or filtered body coverings, together with decontamination chemicals and the support of decontamination personnel.

In a fallout situation, the gas mask is incredibly useful, since there isn't a huge amount of absorption via the skin, and it's more a matter of scrubbing yourself reasonably clean. Internal contamination via your holes is the biggest danger.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

All gas masks require you to get a tight seal. They leak until you do.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yeah, but the state gave you impression you could just saunter around in that poo poo regardless of the munition used for however long you needed to get to a secure shelter.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Siivola posted:

All gas masks require you to get a tight seal. They leak until you do.

I discovered this while trying to put one on at a place I worked (suspected HCN leak, false alarm fortunately). "Why didn't anyone tell me they're incompatible with having a beard?!"

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tias posted:

Yeah, but the state gave you impression you could just saunter around in that poo poo regardless of the munition used for however long you needed to get to a secure shelter.
That's hardly the gas mask's fault.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Siivola posted:

That's hardly the gas mask's fault.

It is if the filter isn't affective on organophospates eg. for production cost reasons or storage etc. Tias, did the chemist say specifically why her design wouldn't be effective? This is a serious internet discussion keep in mind.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

As a draftee our NBC protective posture included pulling your pants legs over the top of your boot and fixing them in place with a little rubber band. Much safe, very protect.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

RIP Syndrome posted:

I discovered this while trying to put one on at a place I worked (suspected HCN leak, false alarm fortunately). "Why didn't anyone tell me they're incompatible with having a beard?!"

I work with cyanide on a continuous basis and the people that will abjectly refuse to shave their beard for the masks unless their future employment is threatened is amazing. In one instance, a fellow with a beard (admittedly a glorious Viking one) quit rather than shave.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I work with cyanide on a continuous basis and the people that will abjectly refuse to shave their beard for the masks unless their future employment is threatened is amazing. In one instance, a fellow with a beard (admittedly a glorious Viking one) quit rather than shave.

Hah, this just reminded me of the Things I Won't Work With section of Derek Lowe's blog. I'd be willing to bet you've at least seen it. For everyone else here - most of the blog most likely wouldn't interest you, but this section is pure gold if you haven't already read it. It's a research chemist talking about, well, things he won't work with because they're too smelly, too corrosive, or too explosive. It's great because it's both semi-technical in nature so even a layman can absorb most if not all of it, but he's also a pretty talented writer to boot describing various reactions.

Keeping it on topic to the thread, here's a link to one of the most popular entries, about the Germans in WWII deciding that one particular compound is just too nasty to even attempt to use.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2008/02/26/sand_wont_save_you_this_time

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

quote:

It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water-with which it reacts explosively

:stare:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shooting Blanks posted:

he's also a pretty talented writer to boot describing various reactions.

It helps he quotes liberally from Ignition! which is a classic.

Like that quip about being hypergolic with test engineers.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I think that’s a direct ‘quote’.

e: an actual quote inside a quote

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Derek Lowe wrote that article when Ignition! was still out of print (though filezable on PDF), but now, you can have a legit copy for your very own

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Ignition! Is shockingly readable for a book about developing rocket propellant. There are occasionally blocks of chemistry formulas but you are free to skip those.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Phy posted:

Derek Lowe wrote that article when Ignition! was still out of print (though filezable on PDF), but now, you can have a legit copy for your very own

I used to have a filez copy of it and never got around to reading it, dammit. Can't seem to find it now.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phy posted:

I had an old email from the publishing house that Ignition! had gone into the public domain. I shared the email with a mod in order to be able to post a copy of the PDF, I think like back in 2011. I then got a PM from another goon saying "that's interesting, I work for that publishing house and it's definitely not public domain. Who told you it was?"

Turned out, the person who told me it was in the public domain knew she was about to get fired and didn't give a single gently caress.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yikes. Wouldn't that person have potentially opened you up to liability? Or could you have said yeah I did my due diligence and the fuckup was not on my part?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Well I had an email from their erstwhile representative saying it was ok, plus I'm Australian, it would probably have been more trouble than it's worth to sue me.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Memento posted:

I had an old email from the publishing house that Ignition! had gone into the public domain. I shared the email with a mod in order to be able to post a copy of the PDF, I think like back in 2011. I then got a PM from another goon saying "that's interesting, I work for that publishing house and it's definitely not public domain. Who told you it was?"

Turned out, the person who told me it was in the public domain knew she was about to get fired and didn't give a single gently caress.

Hah. That's how we get news reports about Captain Ho Lee Fuk and his crew.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Wasn’t that an intern that thought he was loving with a prank caller?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Was he looking for a big dish of beef chow mien?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

hobbesmaster posted:

Wasn’t that an intern that thought he was loving with a prank caller?

I had never heard that he thought it was a prank, but possibly. He definitely got fired soon after though.

e: apologies, apparently it was Captain Sum Ting Wong as PIC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I can’t say I wouldn’t have done something different as a college student
:rolleyes: Yes, those are actual real names of actual people”