Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

I would love to hear how the different writer's relationship to the original Watchmen influenced their writing. I wonder if any of the writers disliked the original. That would really interest me. I love Watchmen, but I also love reading about what people didn't like about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Also one thing I'm noticing about the original is how Moore intended it partly as an anti-Reaganism work, and at the same time Nixon is portrayed...in kind of muted ways? He obviously won a third term, but the sequences showing him in the war room etc portray him as fairly competent and intelligent. Don't know what, if anything, to make of that.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Xanderkish posted:

Also one thing I'm noticing about the original is how Moore intended it partly as an anti-Reaganism work, and at the same time Nixon is portrayed...in kind of muted ways? He obviously won a third term, but the sequences showing him in the war room etc portray him as fairly competent and intelligent. Don't know what, if anything, to make of that.

He literally put Nixon in the white house in his universe because literally every person in America would think 'wait nixon is corrupt. We should not like this obv.' If he put Reagan in power a bunch of idiots would go "Hey get your politics out of my comic book."

Weird how literally nothing changes.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

He literally put Nixon in the white house in his universe because literally every person in America would think 'wait nixon is corrupt. We should not like this obv.' If he put Reagan in power a bunch of idiots would go "Hey get your politics out of my comic book."

Weird how literally nothing changes.

Oh yeah, I get that. It's just the finer details of how he's portrayed that are interesting to me. If you didn't know about who Nixon was, he'd come across as a fairly generic president in the comic. Which obviously would be a bizarre context to read the comic in, but still, it's interesting to me.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Xanderkish posted:

I would love to hear how the different writer's relationship to the original Watchmen influenced their writing. I wonder if any of the writers disliked the original. That would really interest me. I love Watchmen, but I also love reading about what people didn't like about it.

I know that Cord Jefferson had zero knowledge of the comic before Lindelof hired him. Vulture just ran an interview with him where they talk about, well everything, including comparing Watchmen to his other job, writing for The Good Place.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

*Watches scene with a black man being beaten and nearly lynched by his white co-workers*

"Yeah ok, but when is this show gonna have any examples of real racism?"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

Yea, but the main POV character is also a cop, Looking Glass is a cop, Laurie is a cop, HJ was a cop, so I get the feeling that the message is "ok guys, some cops may be bad, but some are good too, it's complicated!". In other words some dumb lib poo poo that completely sidesteps systemic critique.

I'm not that much into comics, I've read Watchemen a few years ago for the first time probably on SA's suggestion, and recently I've re-read it around ep 4 thinking it might improve my experience with this show. I don't know what to tell you - I've liked the comic then, I like it now, the show is still ok to meh.
you're missing my point. You read it after you had years of other peoples opinions built up recommending it and analyzing it that you probably got to process before going into the book.

Guy A. Person posted:

*sees 3 white cops drag two lynched bodies behind their car to intimidate a black colleague*

"Wow getting really sick of this show's pro-cop agenda"
lol

That was a stunning shot. The difference between black and white shots and then color shots composited in the same scene, and then contrasted with the American Hero Story being in full color all helps convey whats truth, whats not, and when several truth elements are combined, like with the cop car draging bodies its just some powerful rear end symbolism and imagery. My gf gasped and she is super critical of white cis male written stories or overly so representative stories and according to her the show is good

duck trucker posted:

*Watches scene with a black man being beaten and nearly lynched by his white co-workers*

"Yeah ok, but when is this show gonna have any examples of real racism?"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Big time lol at this connection
https://www.vox.com/2019/11/25/20981767/watchmen-episode-6-fred-trump-recap

and another good ep breakdown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOOK7igXRwk

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Because of the A.V. Club post I looked up the book Anatomy of A Lynching, and the story of Claude Neal. We don't deserve to exist. Jesus Christ.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
I just want to have a scene with the center of the universe in it before the show's over.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone post the latest peteypedia files? I can’t access them in sweden

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

CAROL posted:

Incognito window, remove cookies, etc. There's a post a few pages ago that expounds on this I think?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Can we trust Laurie's report that Angela was narrating out loud all the stuff she was seeing in her nostalgia coma?

If that's the case then why did she ask her to blink? Just seemed kinda wierd. It was on Petey pedia

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

CAROL posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watchmen/comments/e1wmx8/alternative_way_to_reach_peteypedia/f8s4979/

This Reddit post has direct links to the various Peteypedia files. I am in Denmark, and they work for me :).

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

KoRMaK posted:

Can we trust Laurie's report that Angela was narrating out loud all the stuff she was seeing in her nostalgia coma?

If that's the case then why did she ask her to blink? Just seemed kinda wierd. It was on Petey pedia
Well, the memo says she was in a coma, with just the one exception. Talking isn't the same as hearing or seeing or understanding, so asking her to blink was probably a way to confirm that communication could go both ways.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I think a fair number of people who watch the traffic stop scene (and a LOT of people who hear about it second hand) think the show is saying two lovely things:
1. "I don't hear you whiny liberals complain when a BLACK police officer targets a WHITE MAN."
2. "Putting restrictions on police use of force gets officers killed. Blue Lives Matter!"
And in isolation, the scene itself doesn't give much room for argument.
In the context of nearly the entire rest of the show so far, it's a thematically appropriate inciting incident for a story about the past and present of authority and accountability, of law and order in America, and how yes, it is about race. It's obviously about race. It has always been about race. This is made clear with deadly seriousness in the show's depiction of the Tulsa massacre, the previous and first scene of the show. But it is also made clear once again in the following scene, this time with levity, by way of an all-black production of Oklahoma.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh its this one https://www.hbo.com/content/dam/hbodata/series/watchmen/peteypedia/06/blake-memo-actual-work.pdf

quote:

Writing this from the field office in Tulsa (yes, they wear cowboy boots here) and need your
help. First…

Yeah, Petey, I read your loving memos. A little weird, considering you could just turn to me and
say any/all of this poo poo as we are currently occupying the same physical space, but why do that when you
could write an 80-page essay and zap it off to all of our co-workers instead?
lol, I can hear her say this

Second question, can we trust that the nostalgia were from real memories and not somehow manufactured memories?

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Wanna see Luber Duder save Looking Glass from the KKKKKKK, shiny bros gotta look out for each other.

I'm imagining a Home Alone-esque scenario where they all start comically sliding around on a well-lubed floor, shooting each other in the process, like a loving brutal 3 stooges routine.

Or they get to the door and can't open it because the knob is greased up.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SimonChris posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watchmen/comments/e1wmx8/alternative_way_to_reach_peteypedia/f8s4979/

This Reddit post has direct links to the various Peteypedia files. I am in Denmark, and they work for me :).

Thanks!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Martman posted:

Is the description under your avatar just a coincidence? If so, amazing.

Actually the first line of Zhukov's in Death Of Stalin, which you should watch if you haven't.

The1ManMoshPit posted:

I had the same problem. Delete your cookies for HBO (or open an incognito window) and go straight to the Peteypedia page. It will take you to a page asking to go to the HBO.ca site or continue to HBO.com instead, pick the HBO.com one. For whatever reason the content isn't mirrored on HBO.ca.

That worked perfectly.

I think everything has been organized. The traffic stop was set up to get the black cop shot, so they'd go after the group at the farm, which would cause the police to go nuts and start rounding up people who they only suspect are 7k which will swell their numbers because gently caress the police for coming to my home and forcing me to admit to being racist. The Lettuce in the truck was a breadcrumb because they wanted to get Looking Glass to find out about the Squid so they could use him. The death of Judd did throw a monkey wrench into things, but Keene was able to roll with it, just like with the attempted kidnapping being foiled by Laurie.

7k members probably had no idea what Judd was one of them, or that he was working with Keene. They probably just think they're doing this to get back at the blacks and the cops they don't think are racist enough. Keene is using them as a tool to make himself a hero so can become president, Judd actually thought he was mitigating the 7k actions on the other hand. Probably still being used.

Though all of this is probably unrelated to Trieu's plan. She may be aware of Keene's plan and is working on trying to prevent it, or maybe she's unaware and there's just so many plots on going on at the same time.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

graham cracker posted:

Wanna see Luber Duder save Looking Glass from the KKKKKKK, shiny bros gotta look out for each other.

I'm imagining a Home Alone-esque scenario where they all start comically sliding around on a well-lubed floor, shooting each other in the process, like a loving brutal 3 stooges routine.

I am cry laughing imagining all of this and Id just like to say thank you. This is a quality post.

LubeMan sliding around gunning people down in a John Wick/Max Payne-esque fashion NEEDS to happen.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Lubeman needs to dramatically pull out twin lubersoakers from his back and just spray everywhere.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I think a fair number of people who watch the traffic stop scene (and a LOT of people who hear about it second hand) think the show is saying two lovely things:
1. "I don't hear you whiny liberals complain when a BLACK police officer targets a WHITE MAN."
2. "Putting restrictions on police use of force gets officers killed. Blue Lives Matter!"

This is what I worried about after the first episode and I'm so so glad to have been totally wrong.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

AccountSupervisor posted:

I am cry laughing imagining all of this and Id just like to say thank you. This is a quality post.

LubeMan sliding around gunning people down in a John Wick/Max Payne-esque fashion NEEDS to happen.

:same:

I see you too are a person of refined style and taste. I'm pretty gangster myself.

graham cracker fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 26, 2019

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

This show misses the point of the comic.

thread: What was the point of the comic??

Well, there were weirdos, and a blue guy!! And there was definitely a point!

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

twistedmentat posted:

7k members probably had no idea what Judd was one of them, or that he was working with Keene. They probably just think they're doing this to get back at the blacks and the cops they don't think are racist enough. Keene is using them as a tool to make himself a hero so can become president, Judd actually thought he was mitigating the 7k actions on the other hand. Probably still being used.

Is there any evidence outside of the fact that he was personable (plenty of racists are friendly, and you can think individuals are fine people and not the whole) to assume that Judd was good? He kept his grandfather's robes for a reason. I don't see any reason to believe that he wasn't consciously using the threat of white supremacy to justify enacting fascist policy.

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 27, 2019

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Martman posted:

This show misses the point of the comic.

thread: What was the point of the comic??

Well, there were weirdos, and a blue guy!! And there was definitely a point!

Right? It's like, Why do all of these new SO CALLED heroes of have flaws? So cops are good now because the the heroes are portrayed as running black ops sites? Why can't they be like the original Watchmen, who lack any flaws whatsoever, ESPECIALLY the god man who explicitly doesn't have flaws who saved the day from the bad guy???

Life isn't always a strict dichotomy of heroes and villains, that's the whole point of Watchmen. Heroes can be rapists, mass murderers, or simply not give a gently caress. Morality and the view of law is subjective, and everyone has their own definition. That's what I get from it at least.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

graham cracker posted:

So cops are good now because the the heroes are portrayed as running black ops sites?

The black sites are good because the people being taken to them are white supremacists, which means the cops running the black sites are the heroes, which means the show is pro-cop, and therefore pro-white supremacy.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The black sites are good because the people being taken to them are white supremacists, which means the cops running the black sites are the heroes, which means the show is pro-cop, and therefore pro-white supremacy.

Here's a well defined outline of the pot hole most armchair critics are getting caught in by trying to justify and generalize individual character's behavior. ^^^

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Lube man good

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I just realized that the actor who played Captain Metropolis was the guy who played Jeff in the What We Do In The Shadows TV show, who is revealed to have been decapitated in every single one of his previous lives.

Shared WWDITS/Watchmen universe? :tinfoil:

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Hasn't only like one person brought to them has clearly been established as a 7K member? They round up all the poor white people from the trailer park, but I don't think they show anyone actually being involved.

When you compare it to the fact that pretty much every cop has either been a white supremacist or a violent goon, I'm not sure its painting that flattering a portrait.

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 26, 2019

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

graham cracker posted:

I just got this idea and came to post it and what do I find but someone else posted it 2 hours ago. Good poo poo. My post was gonna be Lube Man comes and fights alongside LG, they finish the fight, and Lube Dude says to LG, "I like your mask." and LG responds "Likewise."

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I want to see Lubeman in American Hero Story.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I want to see Lubeman in American Hero Story.

They WISH they had access to such high quality lubricant in the 1960s! I imagine it was more of a "bite the pillow, I'm going in dry" type of situation. If Peter is exposed as a professional gimp that would be the icing on the cake. Maybe he got hosed by the Dr. Manhattan dildo and was well prepared for the situation?

DaveKap posted:

I just got this idea and came to post it and what do I find but someone else posted it 2 hours ago. Good poo poo. My post was gonna be Lube Man comes and fights alongside LG, they finish the fight, and Lube Dude says to LG, "I like your mask." and LG responds "Likewise."

:wink:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

How pissed are the creators of Arrested Development that they didn't come up with Lube Man?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
On the other hand it would be really funny if Lube Man was the new Outrigger. :lost:

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah if Lindelof was actively trolling his haters I’d have to give it up to him

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah if Lindelof was actively trolling his haters I’d have to give it up to him

Wouldn't be the first time, he's said that the opening scene of the leftovers' second season was designed in part to infuriate the guys who made grantland's TV podcast.

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 26, 2019

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Infuriating entertainment podcasters is as noble a goal as any in this world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

fancy stats posted:

Wouldn't be the first time, he's said that the opening scene of the leftovers' second season was designed in part to infuriate the guys who made grantland's TV podcast.

Chris Ryan and Andy Greenwald can be pretty insufferable, assuming we're talking about The Watch.