Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Comstar posted:

What?

Designer Jervis Johnson, Rick Priestley, John Stallard. Rick Priestley's name is on my copy of 40K rogue trader. I've alwatys liked Jervis 's Blood Bowl since I started in 3rd edition. John Stallard did the warhammer historical rules I think. I thought Warlord was nothing but ex-GW people?

From what I've read Black Powder seems a LOT like Warhammer (2K). But not having played it I can't really tell, but the video's I've seen feel VERY familiar.

Oh fair enough. It sounded like you meant it was literally from Games Workshop, is all :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

lilljonas posted:

Sounds like Blücher. It has an add-on for playing exactly that (Scharnhorst).

https://sammustafa.com/blucher/

As for players, I'd hit the bullet and check the Facebook scene. Lots of players post there rather than on specific club pages etc.

This Nappy group is good:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/247145792126789/

I looked, and this spring there was a bunch guys discussiong players and clubs in Melbourne. By not being tied to a specific ruleset, you'll run the best chance of finding players in this group.

The Sharp Practice group is also pretty lively and I've seen Aussies there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/583159251850065/

If you go with Black Powder, check Warlords combined Black Powder/Black Seas group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WarlordGamesBlackSeasandBlackPowder/

My only gripe is that all of these groups are on Facebook and I thought I was finally gone from that medium :(.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
With historicals that aren't FoW/Bolt Action you should generally assume you'll have to buy and paint two sides and then rope in your friends since they can play for 0 investment, board game style. If you're lucky they will get interested afterwards.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Comstar posted:

What?

Designer Jervis Johnson, Rick Priestley, John Stallard. Rick Priestley's name is on my copy of 40K rogue trader. I've alwatys liked Jervis 's Blood Bowl since I started in 3rd edition. John Stallard did the warhammer historical rules I think. I thought Warlord was nothing but ex-GW people?

From what I've read Black Powder seems a LOT like Warhammer (2K). But not having played it I can't really tell, but the video's I've seen feel VERY familiar.

There are a lot of ex GW guys at Warlord but it’s more like they’ve decided to try and capture other players from GW while avoiding GWs mistakes than just directly imitating them.

The great thing about historicals is the rules have nothing to do with what manufacturer you get your models from. Buy the models you like best and then you can try all the rulesets with the same models.

My group bounced right off Black Powder for a couple reasons: the amount of units you need for the command and maneuver system to make sense, and the level of abstractness.

Pro tip: a lot of historical rulesets are on scribd.com. I use my subscription there to check them out before buying.

If you decide to go with 28mm they're not as expensive as you probably think. Here are 60 minis for $23 bucks.

Class Warcraft fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 24, 2019

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Holy moley, I played a game of CoC. This is a rare occation for me, after becoming indoctrinated into the Napoleonic Swamp.

I had such a good time that I wrote an AAR on it. It was my first chance to field my new Fallschirmjäger platoon, and to make matters even nicer it was against my converted Cape Town Highlanders:

https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/mediterranean-theater/battle-report-delaying-action

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Can anyone reccommend good tank skirmish games? I have a bunch of friends that have a passing interest in tanks, most of us played World of Tanks together back in the day.

We've been playing What a Tanker but honestly find it lacking. It feels like there's not much to it other than just throwing a bunch of dice and whoever throws dice best wins.

Is Tanks! by Battlefront any good?

Content: went to a FOW tournament this weekend, here's me in the process of losing against some Brits.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't really recommend TANKS! really, it plays like a dumbed-down version of X-wing. It's nice enough to bust out if you have half an hour between games I suppose, but I played it a couple of times and promptly forgot about it. You can probably pick up a cheap copy somewhere, and if you don't like the game at least you'll have a couple of extra tanks for your FOW games. If you think WaT is too simplistic Tanks! isn't going to scratch that itch.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

It's not that I think WAT is too simplistic, I think the complexity level of it is just right. It's just that it feels like the game is completely determined by dice rolls most of the time.

I've had multiple games where there are just two tanks left, and they shoot at each other for multiple turns with no effect until one of them rolls well and the other guy dies.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Fair enough, but I doubt that Tanks! will be up your alley in that case. I don't really know any other pure tank skirmish games, so I'm curious as well if other goons know of some interesting ruleset.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Geisladisk posted:

It's not that I think WAT is too simplistic, I think the complexity level of it is just right. It's just that it feels like the game is completely determined by dice rolls most of the time.

I've had multiple games where there are just two tanks left, and they shoot at each other for multiple turns with no effect until one of them rolls well and the other guy dies.

Once you are down to fencing at close quarters, and just one tank each left WAT really suffers.

But this is were other lardie games would have already ended because of morale.

I think that unless you start with just one or two tanks each you shouldn't play until the bitter end. Call it before, a draw can be fun also. That way you might have time for another go.

Perhaps continuous reinforcements could also be a solution to prevent to much close quarters fighting. As stated about napoleonic maneuvers, you really need space for it to be possible.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I'd reccomend tweaking the value of the guns/damage table in WaT. Tanks! Is super shallow.

I have more testing to do but I ran into the same problem where I'd roll average attacks and good saves creating an endless match of sherman 75 v Pz3 M.

So far I've just rewarded flanking a bit more, I'll post my house rules when I'm done.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Geisladisk posted:

Can anyone reccommend good tank skirmish games?

Back in the dark ages (the 80s) Yaquinto did a hex-and-counter series called Panzer/Armor/88, covering Russian Front/Western Front/North Africa tank battles on a very small scale. Later Avalon Hill made MBT (WWIII) and IDF (Arab-Israeli Wars) using a very similar system. These have been tuned up and re-released by GMT. They're good games with all sorts of armor detail. Even though they're hex-and-counter it would be very easy to adapt them to miniatures.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Dang, I saw the Avalon Hill "The Arab-Israeli Wars" being sold at a bring and buy at a con in October and before I decided if I wanted to drop 20 euro on it some other dude bought all the boxed wargames from the stall. I now regret not getting it after getting confused and briefly thinking you meant that.

However! Comedy option for WAT replacement: https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-experimental-technical-readout-1945-pdf

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cessna posted:

Back in the dark ages (the 80s) Yaquinto did a hex-and-counter series called Panzer/Armor/88, covering Russian Front/Western Front/North Africa tank battles on a very small scale. Later Avalon Hill made MBT (WWIII) and IDF (Arab-Israeli Wars) using a very similar system. These have been tuned up and re-released by GMT. They're good games with all sorts of armor detail. Even though they're hex-and-counter it would be very easy to adapt them to miniatures.

I cannot reccomend MBT and Panzer enough

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Arquinsiel posted:

Dang, I saw the Avalon Hill "The Arab-Israeli Wars" being sold at a bring and buy at a con in October and before I decided if I wanted to drop 20 euro on it some other dude bought all the boxed wargames from the stall. I now regret not getting it after getting confused and briefly thinking you meant that.

Arab-Israeli Wars is a different game, it is basically a Panzerblitz clone.

IDF is the version of MBT that covers that subject. Unfortunately it looks like it never got a 2nd edition update.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cessna posted:

Arab-Israeli Wars is a different game, it is basically a Panzerblitz clone.

IDF is the version of MBT that covers that subject. Unfortunately it looks like it never got a 2nd edition update.
Yeah but I had a brief moment of "YAY! Second chance!"

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Team Yankee 2nd Edition is coming out next month.

Should I perpetuate my Stockholm Syndrome and buy the rulebook, knowing it will be a disappointing game with no resemblance to how 80's tank warfare would have been?

Or should I just ignore it and let my stuff gather dust?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I still haven't gotten around to playing 1st ed with the books I bought... I am okay with this, it was fun to read them and I got them all dirt cheap on clearance.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I still haven't gotten to play 1e either!

This feels like a really quick edition turnaround, have they said what's changing?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

moths posted:

I still haven't gotten to play 1e either!

This feels like a really quick edition turnaround, have they said what's changing?

The British will be late:

quote:

WWIII: Team Yankee version 2 will launch on December 7, 2019. It was initially planned that WWIII: British would be released, along with its accompanying Army Deal, alongside the launch of the WWIII: Team Yankee rulebook.

Due to issues with the manufacturer of these specific plastic kits, the Challenger and Warrior kits have not been produced to a standard that we are satisfied with and that you have come to expect.

Without these two highly-anticipated and exciting kits, we felt it would not do to release WWIII: British on the scheduled date, especially given that the Challenger and Warrior kits were the flagship releases for the book, and many players were most excited to field them out of the new WWIII: British book.

The new release date will be February 2020, and will allow us time to produce the Challenger and Warrior kits and to ensure they are up to our usual high standard of quality.

~Peter Simunovich

It's going to be bad, isn't it?

Cessna fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 26, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, ordinarily you'd release when you're ready. Releasing without a major faction does not instill confidence.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Do they still ban discussion of 6mm from their forums?

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
I get that 15mm is their product but lol what

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think it was their FB, but yeah. Apparently TY makes way more sense at 6mm and they got really mad about this.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cessna posted:

Team Yankee 2nd Edition is coming out next month.

Should I perpetuate my Stockholm Syndrome and buy the rulebook, knowing it will be a disappointing game with no resemblance to how 80's tank warfare would have been?

Or should I just ignore it and let my stuff gather dust?

Tanks don't form into large maniples and slowly move across the map like a lawnmower?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Tanks don't form into large maniples and slowly move across the map like a lawnmower?

Okay, gents, get on line. Close it up. No, closer. Closer. CLOSER.

(And that's from their website, leading me to think that they aren't ashamed of that.)

Edit: Holy crap, the caption above that photo.

quote:

Turn 5
Massive amounts of Soviet tank main gun fire and artillery only accounts for a few NATO casualties. The Soviets are far off their prescribed time-table from Stavka.

The political officer attached the 74th Guards Tank Regiment walked into the Soviet Forward Tactical Command Post, invited the Soviet Commander outside for a cigarette. Once outside, a single shot from a Tokarev was heard. The political officer walked back inside the Tactical Command Post, appointed a new commander and urged the new Commander to increase the pace of the attack.

Just gently caress off. I so badly wanted to like this game, but - gently caress off.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Cessna posted:

(And that's from their website, leading me to think that they aren't ashamed of that.)

Fighting modern armour at pistol range I see. You might as well arm your tank commanders with pikes, though getting out and attacking with a sword is reasonable too.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

zokie posted:

Do they still ban discussion of 6mm from their forums?

Yikes

Cessna posted:

Turn 5
Massive amounts of Soviet tank main gun fire and artillery only accounts for a few NATO casualties. The Soviets are far off their prescribed time-table from Stavka.

The political officer attached the 74th Guards Tank Regiment walked into the Soviet Forward Tactical Command Post, invited the Soviet Commander outside for a cigarette. Once outside, a single shot from a Tokarev was heard. The political officer walked back inside the Tactical Command Post, appointed a new commander and urged the new Commander to increase the pace of the attack.

Yikes

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
It just looks like a boardgame with models instead of chits. A shame actually, the models are nice enough.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Wowshawk posted:

It just looks like a boardgame with models instead of a board.

Agreed that the figures are drat nice though. I keep meaning to pick up some US for Force on Force.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cessna posted:

Edit: Holy crap, the caption above that photo.

Just gently caress off. I so badly wanted to like this game, but - gently caress off.

This doesn't look fun at all.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cessna posted:

quote:

Turn 5

Oh wow that is bad

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Zuul the Cat posted:

This doesn't look fun at all.

You know those coin-push games you see in amusement parks?

Apparently WWIII was going to be like that, but with T-72s. The Warsaw Pact would just line them up and push in other tanks behind them until they hit the Rhine.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

A couple weeks ago my brother and I were at our FLGS playing a 2000pt USMC vs IJA game of Bolt Action. Across the room from us were four gents playing Flames of War. I couldn't hear all that they were saying but they mainly seemed to be bickering about positioning stuff and every time I looked over all I could see were walls of tanks stretching across the entire table.

By hour two most of the FoW dudes were over at our table watching our game unfold rather than playing their own.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

The next time you play USA vs IJA please take and post pics. It is my goal to do a big Iwo Jima style beach attack game one day.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
In fairness, and I hate saying this, that's a 600pt game, six times the recommended point limit, played on a board only marginally larger than the usual 6x4. TY has a ton of problems for sure, but that is a goddamn mess, rather than the way a normal game plays out.

why on earth they chose to put it on the site, I have no idea, but it's one of those ridiculous megabattles done with no consideration for how to make that workable.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 26, 2019

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Big game, sure, things get weird. But - well, I see that in too many regular games as well.

In a 100 point game, can I fit my MI-24s in command distance if they have rotors?

Again, from their website:

Edit: The Helicopter with the rotor flies. When the helicopter with the rotor gets shot down, the other helicopter takes the rotor and flies.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 26, 2019

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Cessna posted:

Big game, sure, things get weird. But - well, I see that in too many regular games as well.

In a 100 point game, can I fit my MI-24s in command distance if they have rotors?

Again, from their website:

Oh, goodness no; hinds are way too big in 1/100 for the command radius.

BF tried to fix that by giving them a wider command bubble, but they first fluffed it by forgetting a bunch of rules presume the command bubble is the default size but don't explicitly reference it, then just said that hinds treat all those ranges as bigger... But, generally you won't do that anyway because there's one good firing point and you want your hinds to hug as close together on top of it as possible. If there's multiple good firing points, they're probably all really far from each other.

The general change from the 6-hind flight to the 4-aircraft ones literally everyone else including the later soviet formations get has helped a bit, but hinds are still things that should've been 1/144. In general, tanks are too big for the command ranges you get. BMPs always look silly at anything other than minimum platoon sizes.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

For what's actually changing in V2, that we know for sure:

It's aligning with Version 4 flames. Morale gets checked at the start of your turn, after remount checks, instead of at the end of a phase. Formation breaks are harder, objectives are a bit easier to capture. Artillery that repeats forces things under the template to reroll successful saves; it's easier to become a "large battery", and you suffer a penalty for trying to range in near terrain*.

Command range isn't changing, and morale thresholds aren't changing, so if those things bugged you they're still going to be there (though, I think generally, WW2 gets away with command ranges being as they are much better just because of how small everything is).

*I think they've not really playtested this because the blanket low skill of pact forces is going to make this so much worse for them than it is for NATO; in the WW2 version of the game, poor skill** is compensated by cheap access to extra pre-ranged fire points, that's not the case in TY v2, which, AFAIK, isn't getting cards.

**also in the WW2 version of the game, the soviets aren't all goober conscripts who don't know which way around a shovel goes anymore! The self propelled artillery and guards artillery gets modest to good skill ratings now; likewise shock groups, tank hunters, and so on. You can make a fairly compact soviet list in the WW2 edition at long last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

The 1/100 scale Hind is a beautiful model, but it really points out TY's scale problem.

On one hand it is too big to fit a formation of Hinds on a game table. On the other, it is too small and too delicate (especially the rotors) to be a game piece.