Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Fun little fact about the bloodstarved beast that not a lot of people know: it's not just called that. Throw one of those smelly blood cocktails and it will get completely distracted and be too busy licking at the thing to attack you. It's a great opportunity to really lay into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, I had a few of those going in, some molotovs, healing items, the bullets required to use the parry mechanic. Used them all, then whoops, OHKO out of nowhere. That didn't strike me as fun.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, not to drown the thread in Soulschat again, but the Bloodstarved Beast is one of the first proper walls of Bloodborne. It's also an optional boss, though - you can leave at any time and come back when you feel a bit more ready. If you're not having fun, though, then you're not having fun.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, I had a few of those going in, some molotovs, healing items, the bullets required to use the parry mechanic. Used them all, then whoops, OHKO out of nowhere. That didn't strike me as fun.

You have zero reason to feel bad about not "Playing Bloodborne Right" over consumables, because even if you idiot savant your way into beating Gascione on the first try? Asking "Why did they increase the costs of items after I beat a boss? That seems pointless" people still clutch their pearls at how you are playing a Souls game wrong :v:

The game still loving rules in spite of that. But it's perfectly understandable to think "Why not just top me off for free estus/casting style?" when you hit a rough patch, or decided to have a little too much fun with your ammo.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 26, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

At the very least, the two BBBs (big brick boys) in the shortcut between the first lamp and Father Gascoine are very reliable for dropping 2 blood vials each, and they have a very generous counter window.

If there's one thing about Bloodborne that really sucks it's that they included bloodtinge / gun dude as a build you can work toward when it's really not good for anything, and the magic build, while eventually very strong (when your opponent's not fire resistant, anyway) takes awhile to receive a weapon that uses it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I feel Souls games would benefit a lot from just having a class system that dictates how your stats grow, rather than letting you just gently caress everything up and make characters that aren't fun to play.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I usually just chewed through the big hoard in the street near the bridge with the first two werewolves whenever I needed healing items. 2 or 3 minutes and I would have more than enough to keep me going for hours.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Don’t get hit never need to heal or use rally system (taps head)

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Maybe it's just my playstyle, but I get get a tonne of millage in Souls out of pure aggression and non-stop pressure. Dodge if you have to, but never leave weapon range.

Are there any more distinctly horror games that play like this? Doom I guess from a purely aesthetic level, but there is something appealing about the idea of you being the worst monster of them all. And I don't mean bullshit, streamer horror game "you did a bad now suffer". And obviously not something like Lust for Darkness or whatever that drek was called.

Edit: Maybe those asymmetrical games I've seen like Friday The 13th or... um the other one with hooks and crap are what I actually want? They look awful though, just absolutely terrible when from what I've seen and the 1 match I tried of whatever the hook thing is.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 26, 2019

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Coming soon, the newest hit horror title, 'The Darkness FUCKS', in which you are a specialized matchmaker for horrifying entities who just need some downtime to recuperate and want to date before their next big job and death spree

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I forgot about The Darkness actually. I really enjoyed both those. Loved all the sinister whispering in your ear.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zushio posted:

Maybe it's just my playstyle, but I get get a tonne of millage in Souls out of pure aggression and non-stop pressure. Dodge if you have to, but never leave weapon range.

Are there any more distinctly horror games that play like this? Doom I guess from a purely aesthetic level, but there is something appealing about the idea of you being the worst monster of them all. And I don't mean bullshit, streamer horror game "you did a bad now suffer". And obviously not something like Lust for Darkness or whatever that drek was called.

Edit: Maybe those asymmetrical games I've seen like Friday The 13th or... um the other one with hooks and crap are what I actually want? They look awful though, just absolutely terrible when from what I've seen and the 1 match I tried of whatever the hook thing is.
The Doom' angle of "Good Guy is the most brutal" is also the core concept of The Splatterhouse franchise, even if a lot of that is down to your mask being haunted.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 26, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zushio posted:

I forgot about The Darkness actually. I really enjoyed both those. Loved all the sinister whispering in your ear.

Yeah, the Darkness games are surprisingly good for how little they're remembered today.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They had some serious balance issues when you were actually playing them, which may have contributed. It's easy to dismiss them as a comic thing that would really only appeal to enthusiasts.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Even given the tangential relationship to Witchblade, very little involved with Garth Ennis ages well, he really mined that intersection between Todd McFarlane aesthetics and Bill Hicks pseudophilosophy

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Speaking of tangential relations to Garth Ennis,

Zushio posted:

Dead Space 2 might be in your wheelhouse. Also, strangely, the Dishonored games if you forgo stealth. Dying Light? Prototype? Dusk?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Dead Space 2 lies at the perfect intersection of horror and action game, in my opinion. Dead Space 1 has you be too much of a zero-dialogue cipher and Dead Space 3 is too poo poo.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Dead Space 2 lies at the perfect intersection of horror and action game, in my opinion. Dead Space 1 has you be too much of a zero-dialogue cipher and Dead Space 3 is too poo poo.

I liked the zero-dialogue cipher. There were times in DS1 that really showed Isaac's emotion and what was going on, the exhausted slump of his shoulders, the way he reacted to seeing his wife, that really felt more emotional than similar scenes in DS2. My favourite scene in the whole game is the one at the very end, when he sits down in the cockpit of the ship, and he takes off his helmet to reveal...just some guy. Just a regular guy that's been through poo poo, who just looks so goddamn exhausted, who looks like he's been through hell and hasn't become full of grit or some action movie star or anything, he's just...tired. Not a single word needed to communicate it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's a matter of taste, I suppose. I just don't like silent protagonists as a general thing. Especially in a horror game, it makes you end up with a character who just feels to stoic, too unflappable and too disconnected. When Isaac finally finds his girlfriend, who he has gone through necro-zombie-mutant hell to save, and barely even reacts when she should by all rights be breaking down into tears and sobs of relief? It just all just starts feeling so fake and wooden to me. If my character doesn't express he cares, I find it distinctly difficult to care myself.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Thank you all for the recommendations, sadly I have played all of them lol.

As for Dead Space, I think 1 and 2 are both excellent games. For my money though, 1 is slightly better. It has more actual moments of terror and never really let's up on the tension. Dead Space 2 is mechanically superior by far and the overall plot is a little better, but it didn't feel nearly as tense or scary. In fact, I'd say that other than a single jump scare I should have seen coming there was hardly anything even mildly scary in Dead Space 2. I mostly just felt like a Gears of War Action Man with worse controls.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Morpheus posted:

I liked the zero-dialogue cipher. There were times in DS1 that really showed Isaac's emotion and what was going on, the exhausted slump of his shoulders, the way he reacted to seeing his wife, that really felt more emotional than similar scenes in DS2. My favourite scene in the whole game is the one at the very end, when he sits down in the cockpit of the ship, and he takes off his helmet to reveal...just some guy. Just a regular guy that's been through poo poo, who just looks so goddamn exhausted, who looks like he's been through hell and hasn't become full of grit or some action movie star or anything, he's just...tired. Not a single word needed to communicate it.

Yeah, I like how Isaac was just an average-looking guy in the first one. Then the sequels came and he got nice cheekbones.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Oh the first Condemned was really good too. Never played the sequel.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

DeathChicken posted:

I think my only experience with a Dark Souls game was playing Bloodborne, getting up to the Blood Starved Beast, using all of my items to get him to a sliver of health in a pretty epic fight, then getting OHKOed by his head bite. After which I realized I would have to grind for hours just to get enough items to make another effort at that and was like, nah

This post is wrong

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

He does look almost exactly like his voice actor, who is a pretty average (if solidly good-looking) sort. Dunno how much more average than "actually a real person who isn't a supermodel" you can get. :shrug:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

It's a matter of taste, I suppose. I just don't like silent protagonists as a general thing. Especially in a horror game, it makes you end up with a character who just feels to stoic, too unflappable and too disconnected. When Isaac finally finds his girlfriend, who he has gone through necro-zombie-mutant hell to save, and barely even reacts when she should by all rights be breaking down into tears and sobs of relief? It just all just starts feeling so fake and wooden to me. If my character doesn't express he cares, I find it distinctly difficult to care myself.

See, that's why I like the ending - you think it's this stoic, unflappable guy, but it's clear he's not. I guess they could've had him show more emotion during the scenes with his girlfriend (and maybe there are one or two where he does, but I don't remember all of them), but a big part of it is that, if I remember right, the game is often playable when someone else is there. Like, you can move Isaac around and stuff. Are there cutscenes where a character is talking and you're not in direct control of Isaac? Anyway.

Generally I'm not a fan of silent protagonists either, usually because the game they're in simply don't have them emote a whole lot, if at all, or the characters act as if the protagonist is talking and replying, even though they're clearly not.

Mind you this is not something they could keep up for more than one game, so I understand why they had him speak in the sequel and onwards.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Are there cutscenes where a character is talking and you're not in direct control of Isaac?
That's a good question, I actually don't remember that off-hand. I don't think there are, except for the intro cutscene. That would make it more difficult, but, I mean, voiceovers are something you can have pretty even then.

Morpheus posted:

Generally I'm not a fan of silent protagonists either, usually because the game they're in simply don't have them emote a whole lot, if at all, or the characters act as if the protagonist is talking and replying, even though they're clearly not.

Mind you this is not something they could keep up for more than one game, so I understand why they had him speak in the sequel and onwards.
Well, they went to the other and equally bad extreme in Dead Space 3 where she just won't shut up even when he really should, so it's a balancing act. On the whole, I just think it's not really possible to tell a good story where everyone feels like an integral character if one of them is just a empty spot for you to step into, leaving the story to happen around you rather than to you.

That's just me, though. To each their own.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I find it interesting that in the first game Isaac does have a fair bit of characterization but only if you read the objectives in your menu. They are all in character and kind of his reflections on the situation and his personal thoughts. It is a little strange he doesn't say anything out loud but really he isn't in much of a situation to say anything for 90% of the game. Everyone gives you very clear instructions with no room for misunderstanding and there isn't anyone to speak to anyway for most of the game. Everyone is really busy trying to sort out the problem in the narrative and frankly doesn't have time to talk. Dead Space doesn't feel like the kind of game where the protagonist needs to constantly be shouting one-liners to himself which is really the only option in the first game without interrupting the immersion.

There's also the whole thing about how Isaac is definitely still infected and experiencing some of the symptoms of the Necromorph plague even if he is resistant.

Can we also talked about how awesome the diegetic menu is.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Zushio posted:

Thank you all for the recommendations, sadly I have played all of them lol.

As for Dead Space, I think 1 and 2 are both excellent games. For my money though, 1 is slightly better. It has more actual moments of terror and never really let's up on the tension. Dead Space 2 is mechanically superior by far and the overall plot is a little better, but it didn't feel nearly as tense or scary. In fact, I'd say that other than a single jump scare I should have seen coming there was hardly anything even mildly scary in Dead Space 2. I mostly just felt like a Gears of War Action Man with worse controls.

I found the Ishimura level one of the tensest I've ever played. Just never knowing when it's coming and imagining how bad it will be when it does was genuinely harrowing for me.

Also, the boss fight was dumb and bad, but seeing Isaac so resigned and beaten at the (fake) end of the game was pretty cathartic.

But then, I also enjoyed the part of DS3 right before the stupid planet bits, so it might just be me. I though the weapon crafting bits were good, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Considering how much time Hammond and Kendra spend sniping at each other, I find it hard to imagine that they just had no space for Isaac to also make himself heard in some fashion. I guess I'm just not happy with how much more defined all of this made the secondary characters feel compared to my POV character, who really should be the most interesting and well-portrayed by default, since you spend so much more time with him.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Black August posted:

Coming soon, the newest hit horror title, 'The Darkness FUCKS', in which you are a specialized matchmaker for horrifying entities who just need some downtime to recuperate and want to date before their next big job and death spree

It's called Monster Seeking Monster and it's part of Jackbox Party Pack 4.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I forgot about the Ishimura level in 2. Absolutely the highlight of the game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zushio posted:

Oh the first Condemned was really good too. Never played the sequel.

Condemned 2 gets a bad rap but it only has a few glaring issues that crop up occasionally. Later levels have a bit too much gunplay when normally guns are rare superweapons to be used sparingly, they changed Ethan's design from a kinda stocky ethnically ambiguous guy to a generic gruff white protagonist, and toward the end of the game you get the power to shout at people and make their heads explode.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The real issue with Condemned 2 was adding weapon durability.

It had other sins, but that was the greatest.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I didn't really think Ethan looked any more white in the second Condemned game, just really unhealthy. I mean, geeze, look at those eyes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Night10194 posted:

The real issue with Condemned 2 was adding weapon durability.

It had other sins, but that was the greatest.

I didn't have an issue with that. Lacking weapon durability in the first game meant you could just grab something pretty good and never change it unless you lucked into something even better. None of the weapons were bad enough that you'd be at a serious disadvantage even if you had to fight with your bare hands.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I had heard about the nonsense in the end game. Issac looks seriously ill and emaciated in 2 for sure. I always somewhat read him as a Native American, at least partially, in the first game but he does look quite White in the second one.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

His skin is usually darker in the first game depending on lighting, and he has a whole new voice actor. You’d never know it was the same character if you weren’t told.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Zushio posted:

I had heard about the nonsense in the end game. Issac looks seriously ill and emaciated in 2 for sure. I always somewhat read him as a Native American, at least partially, in the first game but he does look quite White in the second one.
I think he's supposed to be Hispanic. That cult his parents belong to is European-derived and I think said to have had a strong presence in Spain, but that might be me misremembering.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I forgot that everyone was such big chonky beef boys in those games. It's like Gears of War Triangle Men turned up to 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

First game Ethan is definitely inspired by grungy 90s horror like Se7en where every lead actor isn’t a beautiful chiseled Adonis yet. Condemned 2 is definitely rocking the wet-haired permanently-looking-at-the-sun look that still dominates prestige television.

It’s Norman Reedus in Boondock Saints vs. Norman Reedus in Walking Dead.

E: when the hero has nothing to lose they grow a beard and they sweat through their hair.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 27, 2019