Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

PawParole posted:

Is he really doing good? I live in hope, but I’m not watching it.

It depends on the general reception of Andrew Neil, I suppose. To the layman it looks like 'a car crash', probably, and will be claimed as such. But Corbyn's serenity comes off well against Neil's ranting, IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

spotted in Manchester yesterday

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Went to see are lad Owen Jones give a speech at my local CLP.
He sounds different in person, but I gather he had a rough day.

Huge turnout. More than I was comfortable with if I'm honest. I was relieved to be able to pick up a bundle of leaflets for my neck of the woods and get out there.

Not going out speaking to people unless someone's in when they get the leaflet, but it's a job to get done and hopefully practice for helping out at a marginal.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
I think he did well under the barracking from Neil who moved the subject every time Corbyn tried to expand on an answer but he did get a bit skwerered on his answers.

- The easy gotcha for having the married tax allowance being scrapped after saying noone under 80k will pay extra tax (if you're going to scrap it at least have an offset that everyone else will also benefit from)
- Not being willing to say 'Yes we're borrowing to rebate the WASPI women because current interest rates are tiny for the government to right this abject failure'
- Not adequately explaining the gammon bloodthirst for ISIS leaders' heads is a bad idea becuase it creates martyrs out of them and will just be replaced by the next terrorist down the ranks

Not as good as the QT performance but hopefully better than Johnson's

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Doccykins posted:

I think he did well under the barracking from Neil who moved the subject every time Corbyn tried to expand on an answer but he did get a bit skwerered on his answers.

- The easy gotcha for having the married tax allowance being scrapped after saying noone under 80k will pay extra tax (if you're going to scrap it at least have an offset that everyone else will also benefit from)
- Not being willing to say 'Yes we're borrowing to rebate the WASPI women because current interest rates are tiny for the government to right this abject failure'
- Not adequately explaining the gammon bloodthirst for ISIS leaders' heads is a bad idea becuase it creates martyrs out of them and will just be replaced by the next terrorist down the ranks

Are these a series of interviews? I thought it was a damage control interview thing

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Doccykins posted:

spoiler alert: johnsons going to get neil's slobber all over his dong

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
Yeah you just know it’s going to be such an easy ride for Johnson

It’s infuriating how the guy in charge of the party that’s hosed up the UK won’t be scrutinised at all, and the guy who wants to make things better is being treated like he’s responsible for WW1 and WW2

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Oh, Jeremy Corbyn :smith:

He came across as saddened and exasperated by the whole thing, which I really can't blame him for given this much poo poo being slung at him. So many 'let me finish please'es.

They better give Johnson the same rough ride, because that was bad.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

Are these a series of interviews? I thought it was a damage control interview thing

Yeah, they're a series. Neill ripped into Sturgeon in the last one.

https://twitter.com/sunpolitics/status/1199271245763747840?s=21

Johnson may get off lighter, but God alone knows what he'll do to Swinson.

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

It was pretty similar to the 2017 interview, meaning it was really loving bad, but not due to Corbyn.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

The fact that Neil doesn't know what an asset is and also calls it "Corbyn's credit card" frankly just makes him sound economically illiterate.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Answers Me posted:

Some Tory grandee (can’t remember who) said nonchalantly on LBC the other day that Corbyn wants to re-open Auschwitz, so...

loving Corbyn wants to reopen forced labour camps while also letting everyone work one day less a week. Stop sitting on the electrified fence Jeremy!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

RockyB posted:

Oh, Jeremy Corbyn :smith:

He came across as saddened and exasperated by the whole thing, which I really can't blame him for given this much poo poo being slung at him. So many 'let me finish please'es.

They better give Johnson the same rough ride, because that was bad.

I didn't watch it, but seen a couple of comments on FB from friends who aren't very political saying they switched over because Neil wouldn't let him speak.

Also on FB, a local small businessman (who has quite a lot of influence locally here in tory town) with a shop, and who is a landlord and also airbnb host is posting relatively pro-Labour policy stuff (eg Land Value Tax)!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 26, 2019

Gaemblor
Jun 19, 2002

Sheldon Brown - Better than you think!

Firos posted:

The fact that Neil doesn't know what an asset is and also calls it "Corbyn's credit card" frankly just makes him sound economically illiterate.

Neil definitely knows how assets on a balance sheet work and that the 'government credit card' analogy is an invalid one. It just happens that he's a disingenuous interviewer out to make his opponent look bad over and above anything else.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Edison was a dick posted:

Huge turnout. More than I was comfortable with if I'm honest. I was relieved to be able to pick up a bundle of leaflets for my neck of the woods and get out there.

Not going out speaking to people unless someone's in when they get the leaflet, but it's a job to get done and hopefully practice for helping out at a marginal.

Same. And if I, an introverted tech nerd, am willing to go outside and put things through strangers' doors in the middle of winter you know poo poo is real :shobon:

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Gaemblor posted:

Neil definitely knows how assets on a balance sheet work and that the 'government credit card' analogy is an invalid one. It just happens that he's a disingenuous interviewer out to make his opponent look bad over and above anything else.

It's either the feigning an appearance of not knowing or actually not knowing. Either way it makes him look like a poo poo interviewer.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

feedmegin posted:

Same. And if I, an introverted tech nerd, am willing to go outside and put things through strangers' doors in the middle of winter you know poo poo is real :shobon:

Honestly once I got going with it leafleting is pretty fun, it's just loving awkward to do it in the dark walking around estates I've never been to with house numbers all over the place. I do like any excuse to go on a walkabout though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

feedmegin posted:

I don't go out canvassing or leafletting or stall-staffing, but I spent several hours yesterday sorting out an appallingly messy csv dump from our local electoral registration office of over 1500 new registrations and turning it into mailing labels for a mailshot our CLP are planning to do. This is where my talents lie!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Looks like Peston is trying to out-Laura Laura
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1199422167554936837

TheRat fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 26, 2019

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't go out canvassing or leafletting or stall-staffing, but I spent several hours yesterday sorting out an appallingly messy csv dump from our local electoral registration office of over 1500 new registrations and turning it into mailing labels for a mailshot our CLP are planning to do. This is where my talents lie!

From each according to ability, comrade ✊

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

TheRat posted:

Looks like Peston is trying to out-Laura Laura
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1199421499440062464

Already gone. What was it?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Camrath posted:

Already gone. What was it?

Think he corrected a typo or something, I updated the link

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

It wasn't a great interview. Corbyn could have handled most questions a lot better. No idea why he didn't just give a generic apology for 'hurt and suffering' for example, or simply say straight out that the WASPI payment will be funded by borrowing. It's like his media training has made him a worse interviewee, by eclipsing the straight-talking politician that won the leadership.

Having said that, Neil himself will turn off a lot of people by coming across as a bully. I thought particularly on the WASPI thing, where it was perfectly obvious he didn't want Corbyn to explain the policy for the benefit of viewers, he just wanted him to say 'I would borrow money'. Don't think that will go down well with actual WASPI campaigners.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Why is the state of parliamentary discourse so wretched I scream, as I interrupt and desperately try to wring a soundbite out of a man who is trying to explain the long term implications of government actions.

Would you shoot the man Jeremy? Why aren't you saying you would shoot the man? Will you shoot the man? I don't want to know about funnelling arms to Saudi or the radicalisation of people overseas who will grow up to be more terrorists due to our lovely actions. Will you shoot the man? In the face? Shoot. Now. Face. DO IT

You need for find £58 billion to pay women Jeremy. Where's the money. Open your wallet, where's the money. I don't care that it will be paid over the 20 year course of a pension. Do you have the money? OPEN YOUR loving WALLET I WANT TO SEE INSIDE.

At least #BBCBias is trending again, I guess.

E: Some pro eye rolling there from Jezza though. Frankly I don't think I could have stopped myself from either walking out or punching him.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Across most of my feeds I'm seeing a lot more criticism of Neil than Corbyn.

Also feels like the cat is now truly out of the bag with regards bbc bias. When we win this I hope to see a shitload of people getting p45s.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

justcola posted:

spotted in Manchester yesterday

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

RockyB posted:

Why is the state of parliamentary discourse so wretched I scream, as I interrupt and desperately try to wring a soundbite out of a man who is trying to explain the long term implications of government actions.

Would you shoot the man Jeremy? Why aren't you saying you would shoot the man? Will you shoot the man? I don't want to know about funnelling arms to Saudi or the radicalisation of people overseas who will grow up to be more terrorists due to our lovely actions. Will you shoot the man? In the face? Shoot. Now. Face. DO IT

Thought Neil came off badly here too.

Corbyn was clearly trying to explain the wider causes of terrorism, and Neil literally shouted "HE'S GOING TO KILL US" over him, as if terrorists work like the aliens in Independence Day and all drop dead when you take out the mothership.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yep, it all helps the cause. You don't have to do one particular thing if you feel you would be better off in a different role. Fight the good fight! :hfive:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1199423676514471936

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/nealvinay/status/1199400860633194497?s=19
https://twitter.com/anilbhanot/status/1159898194395959297?s=19

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Uurgh what the gently caress is going on. I’m struggling to keep up with everything. How do you podcast people keep all this poo poo in your heads.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I don't and just make poo poo up as I go along.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Sanford posted:

Uurgh what the gently caress is going on. I’m struggling to keep up with everything. How do you podcast people keep all this poo poo in your heads.

You don't have to keep up with everything. This election campaign is a difficult time for a lot of people, and there is no shame in that. Don't hurt yourself by pushing too hard. Take care of yourself :glomp:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Lmao

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

3 HOURS LEFT - REGISTER TO VOTE: https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

i'll have the stats here in the morning: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...372&single=true

ready to just add the values in the morning when they're released before i rush off to work, so don't read into the 2019 comparisons quite yet. if someone can grab screenshots of all of that in the morning while i'm at work and save me the hassle that'd be great - most people will just look past the link after all

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Andrew Neil's capable of doing a decent interview, but he's also more than happy to just lean on a gotcha for an entire segment and lazily ask the same question over and over even if it's been answered, so no real surprises!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
hopefully jezza will soon be racist enough for the average englishman to vote for him

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Got our postal votes today, for Streatham (Chuka's old costituency). A quick Google of his replacement (Bell Ribeiro-Addy) looks promising.

I was also surprised by how small the ballot paper was - just 5 parties, Lab, Con, Squirrel, Arrow and Green - no minor parties or indies. But I may be remembering the EP elections in May, where the ballot paper was like a comedy phone bill from a sitcom.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Spot the difference

https://twitter.com/rowlsmanthorpe/status/1199397923836047363?s=20
https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1149002876485865475

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://dorseteye.com/dear-chief-ra...l-antisemitism/

quote:

“Dear Chief Rabbi,You have shamed your office today and rendered the Jewish people even more vulnerable to real antisemitism…”

Chief Rabbi Mervis is a Tory. Now it all makes sense

Dear Chief Rabbi,

You have shamed your office today and rendered the Jewish people even more vulnerable to real antisemitism by reinforcing the fake, media-induced antisemitism that you recklessly impute to Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour Party.

To interfere politically at this point in an election in a way that could affect the only party that could bring hope and social justice to this country is beyond contempt and renders you unfit for office.

As a Jew and a Labour Party supporter, I am proud to be part of a venture that I see as a continuity of so many of my Jewish forbears who have fought for social justice here and in Europe.

You talk about ‘the soul of the nation being at stake’ YET have you not noticed what has happened to that soul over the last nine years where:
1. The poor have been vilified
2. The ill have been attacked
3. The mentally ill have suffered
4. Inequality has soared.
5. Greed and financial rapaciousness has flourished
6. Austerity has been unnecessarily applied after a financial crisis brought about by an out of control finance sector that has benefited the wealthiest.

Where was YOUR voice about the nation’s soul then? Yet you inveigh against a decent and honest man who, even now, maintains integrity in the face of manifest manipulation, deceit and digital sleight of hand from the Tories.

You have shamed your office, the justice loving tradition of the Jewish people and laid the grounds for future tensions in the most irresponsible way.

You seem to lack the acuity of intellect to even spot the most obvious use of this bogus antisemitism as a political weapon. Justin Schlossberg of the Media Reform Coalition called the antisemitism saga ‘a disinformation paradigm’ and made a detailed study of the issue. The great scholar, Norman Finkelstein, likewise, sees this a purely politically motivated attack.

How dare you, amateurishly intervene in this, betraying the great Jewish scholarly tradition of intellectual and analytical acumen embodied in the Talmud and the exegetics of the Chumash.

With profound sadness and considerable disgust,

Simon Cohen