Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1199315570061139968
https://twitter.com/DawnButlerBrent/status/1199380021967765504
Love to experience the good faith suppositions of the national media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Thread moves so fast I’m probably late to the party, but:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

RockyB posted:

Caption competition yesterday was funny so let's have another one

"Mirror mirror on the wall, who hates squirrels most of all?"

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Had a Tory come to the door this eve, I asked them to justify policies that have been linked to the deaths of thousands and just ended up doubling the debt. They said something about Labour's fault and crossed the drives to next door... hmm.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Coohoolin posted:

Lmao apparently Jo; is trying to use the Court of Session to stop the SNP distributing leaflets detailing how she accepted a 14'000 pound bribe from fracking companies to vote against the ban.

https://www.bbc.com/news/election-2019-50565209

Edited for link

in light of

quote:

[the judge] said: “The statement which the petitioner claims of is, on the information which has been put before the court this evening, false in substance and materially inaccurate. In my view the petitioner has shown she has a prima facie case that the statement is defamatory.”
would you reassess your lmao?
the SNP, in this case, seem to have hosed it

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

You should have acted curious but unconvinced for as long as rodantly possible

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

"No apology from Corbyn over anti-Semitism claims"

or

"Corbyn apologises for Labour anti-Semitism"

After I'd just watched the interview I had no idea why he didn't just offer a generic apology. So many media types were OUTRAGED that it was the story of the century, why not kill it?

But I was just looking at the BBC homepage and it suddenly hit me: the top headline is better than the bottom one.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Well so much for getting away from toxicity. Went for a walk, and ran into my oldest friend (who I'm really not that close with any more for reasons that will become apparent) and the conversation went from "What are you up to" to him pulling that loving infuriating "I don't know poo poo about politics but here's my very loud opinions about politics" to him saying "Labour won't do anything for me because I'm not a p***" and me completely losing my poo poo at him and telling him never to talk to me again.

To be honest it's long overdue that I cut this bloke out of my life - this is by no means his first offence or even his worst - and if I'd not been feeling quite so lovely when he started up on his bollocks I'd have probably not let the argument escalate to the point that it did, but man it still feels bad to lose someone I've known since I was 2 years old.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jabby posted:

or

After I'd just watched the interview I had no idea why he didn't just offer a generic apology. So many media types were OUTRAGED that it was the story of the century, why not kill it?

But I was just looking at the BBC homepage and it suddenly hit me: the top headline is better than the bottom one.

you've got the bottom one wrong:

Corbyn Admits Antisemitism

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
^^
Sorry twisto, that sucks even if the guy is an arse.

Jo; is now distributing party leaflets made-up to look like local newspapers, the Lib Dems are truly amazing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ratjaculation posted:

Had a Tory come to the door this eve, I asked them to justify policies that have been linked to the deaths of thousands and just ended up doubling the debt. They said something about Labour's fault and crossed the drives to next door... hmm.

I mean obviously they knew you were an antifa supersoldier, no point engaging, on to look for a floating voter. Makes sense tbh :shrug:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

jabby posted:

or

It also sort of stops the story. An apology would require some sort of additional action like him resigning or creating the ridiculous 'independent' investigative committee they tried to get last time which would then suspend anyone they liked and refusing to do those just ends up with another denial headline later down the line.

Labour needs to flat out start saying the improved investigative procedures are adequate and these continued criticisms are purely politically motivated.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

In 2017, Lib Dems were a distant fourth in my constituency, even losing their deposit. But I have had double the leaflets from them compared to any of the other parties. Guess they are getting plenty of big business money now that the tories are promising to destroy the economy.

feedmegin posted:

I mean obviously they knew you were an antifa supersoldier, no point engaging, on to look for a floating voter. Makes sense tbh :shrug:

Yeah if you want to sabotage canvassers you need to pretend you might vote for them and waste tons of their time

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Cerv posted:

in light of

would you reassess your lmao?
the SNP, in this case, seem to have hosed it

nope, she got the donation, her defense admitted as much, they just argued that it was a "personal donation" to her "campaign office" or whatever.

court got it wrong, but i'll be happy to read a bunch of reports on the Lib Dems winning a court case about accepting donations from fracking companies.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

namesake posted:

It also sort of stops the story. An apology would require some sort of additional action like him resigning or creating the ridiculous 'independent' investigative committee they tried to get last time which would then suspend anyone they liked and refusing to do those just ends up with another denial headline later down the line.

Labour needs to flat out start saying the improved investigative procedures are adequate and these continued criticisms are purely politically motivated.

which leads to the first headline

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

This is a thing that has been going on in the background for a bit thats got a good bit of media traction - the BJP have gone in hard against Labour after the conference resolution on the Kashmir situation and their supporter organization here are openly campaigning for the Tories in several seats trying to leverage outrage. Lots of stories of WhatsApp messages getting passed around and some very aggressive targeting in a couple of seats. Whether or not it will sway voters is another thing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
How fortunate the Tories are to have the support of the fascist ruling parties of both Hungary and India!

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Chuff McNothing posted:

which leads to the first headline

There are no good headlines about this.

There's only a good response, and accepting that the headlines will always be negative.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kingturnip posted:

How fortunate the Tories are to have the support of the fascist ruling parties of both Hungary and India!
At least they aren't antisem... oh.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

jabby posted:

or

It wouldn't kill it whatsoever, it would have been used as a confession of guilt, and the apology wouldn't be good enough because what's needed is action and it's too late anyway and the damage has been done because he fostered an environment and what's really needed is a new labour leader.

The articles are long pre-written, the attack lines set and the timetable is primed and set carefully for their release at the most damaging times. But it's all they have left, and after 3 years I doubt it's doing much to swing anyone else.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm choosing to look on the bright side. They're going hard on this antisemitism thing now because it's all that's ever really successfully stuck (despite it being garbage) and they're loving rattled. They know Corbyn could win this. They're not stupid. For all their carefully considered mockery they remember 2017. They know the polls aren't necessarily reliable. They can see the registration statistics. They probably have internal polling confirming that it's far closer than they're comfortable with. So this is it. This is their last roll of the dice, their last stand. They know that if they lose this battle, they lose the war, and beneath all the bluster they're bricking it. This is them throwing absolutely everything they have at us. And you know what, it's stressful and it's tiring but if this is their best shot? Maybe there's reason to be cheerful after all.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

thespaceinvader posted:

There are no good headlines about this.

There's only a good response, and accepting that the headlines will always be negative.

the good response was the policies and mechanisms set in place to deal with antisemitism and those by and large have been used as cudgels and false evidence.

You're frustrated because you saw something go badly and you think there must've been a way to avoid it. There isn't and wasn't.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1199447670940721153
lol

I feel like Labour have been going much harder on voter registration this time.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Cerebral Bore posted:

"Mirror mirror on the wall, who hates squirrels most of all?"

Mirror mirror on the wall
True hope stands in spite of polls
You're a centrist can't you see
That you're just a melt
Mirror mirror on the wall
Lib Dems can't deny our vote
You're the right wing in deceit
and we will prevail

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Apraxin posted:

^^
Sorry twisto, that sucks even if the guy is an arse.

Jo; is now distributing party leaflets made-up to look like local newspapers, the Lib Dems are truly amazing.

Tories are doing this too

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

jabby posted:

lol

How do the registration figures compare to last time amongst the <30s?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm choosing to look on the bright side. They're going hard on this antisemitism thing now because it's all that's ever really successfully stuck (despite it being garbage) and they're loving rattled. They know Corbyn could win this. They're not stupid. For all their carefully considered mockery they remember 2017. They know the polls aren't necessarily reliable. They can see the registration statistics. They probably have internal polling confirming that it's far closer than they're comfortable with. So this is it. This is their last roll of the dice, their last stand. They know that if they lose this battle, they lose the war, and beneath all the bluster they're bricking it. This is them throwing absolutely everything they have at us. And you know what, it's stressful and it's tiring but if this is their best shot? Maybe there's reason to be cheerful after all.

It's their best shot and it's the only shot they have left, so they have to go all in now because when Labour wins and nothing happens to Jewish people they'll have nothing left.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

jabby posted:

lol

i dont get it :(

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

While I agree with what you're saying I worry that we're still two weeks out and wonder if this is really their last role of the dice, or if they're preparing the ground for something else. Remember the mural? Taken in isolation it was nothing, but if a similarly innocuous-in-isolation comment from Corbyn or a front-bencher is dropped into the news cycle now, it's going to hit really loving hard.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well so much for getting away from toxicity. Went for a walk, and ran into my oldest friend (who I'm really not that close with any more for reasons that will become apparent) and the conversation went from "What are you up to" to him pulling that loving infuriating "I don't know poo poo about politics but here's my very loud opinions about politics" to him saying "Labour won't do anything for me because I'm not a p***" and me completely losing my poo poo at him and telling him never to talk to me again.

To be honest it's long overdue that I cut this bloke out of my life - this is by no means his first offence or even his worst - and if I'd not been feeling quite so lovely when he started up on his bollocks I'd have probably not let the argument escalate to the point that it did, but man it still feels bad to lose someone I've known since I was 2 years old.

jeez, i'm sorry to hear that man. i've never really been able to cut toxic people out of my life, it seems like a very hard thing to do.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

jabby posted:

lol

Definitely. I read that during the last election, Labour HQ created register to vote ads targeted only to appear on Facebook to Corbyn and those in his office who supported him but did not appear generally. I'm seeing lots of pushing this time.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

While I agree with what you're saying I worry that we're still two weeks out and wonder if this is really their last role of the dice, or if they're preparing the ground for something else. Remember the mural? Taken in isolation it was nothing, but if a similarly innocuous-in-isolation comment from Corbyn or a front-bencher is dropped into the news cycle now, it's going to hit really loving hard.

While I understand the anxiety, I think they'll be hard pressed to come up with anything that's going to meaningfully swing people now. They've already all but said 'jeremy corbyn would put all the jews in britain into concentration camps and laugh maniacally as he finished what hitler started'. You've either already drank the kool-aid on that*, or you've seen it for the vicious lie that it is. No amount of repetition is going to win anyone new over at this point. Unless they have something huge, that is, but I really can't imagine what that might be.

*there's a certain irony to the constant yelling that corbyn supporters are cultists amongst those weird 'labour against antisemitism' types, 95% of whom aren't even Jewish.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah there's going to be a string of these, you can guarantee it. It is definitely a problem, but it's definitely not a new problem either. Labour need to prepare themselves now to go on the offense against the politically motivated accusations in future but this is already very much factored in and countered by door and personal contact work Labour supporters can do.

namesake fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 26, 2019

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
Wow, hell of an excuse:

quote:

Jo Swinson: 'Dodgy' bar charts were sabotaged

Embattled Liberal Democratic leader Jo Swinson today hit out at critics of her party's campaign literature with the astonishing claim that they had been doctored by outside actors.

The Lib Dems have been roundly criticised over the last few weeks for their ambitious claims about their electoral chances, with their bar charts coming in for particular scorn. Swinson and her party have quickly gained a reputation for dishonesty among some, and online spaces have swelled with satirical takes on the situation, known as 'memes'.

But Swinson claims that this is all very unfair and should stop, because any misleading content was not produced by her party.

"It was the squirrels!" she said through tears. "Those loving squirrels! They come during the night and draw their dodgy little bar charts onto our leaflets. I hear them! I hear the skittering of their horrible little claws, but they run away when I try to find them! I haven't slept in weeks because I've been trying to catch them! They cannot be allowed to get away with this! They will not cost me my Prime Ministership! You believe me, don't you? Oh god, why does nobody ever believe me?"

Swinson became unintelligible at this point.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

CoolCab posted:

jeez, i'm sorry to hear that man. i've never really been able to cut toxic people out of my life, it seems like a very hard thing to do.

I can only do it when I'm *really* loving pissed off, which is probably almost as unhealthy as keeping them around.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Is this the much mooted poo poo posting?

RE: Too late to aplogiiiiisee - Frankly yeah I think he did the best he could with a bad hand there. These kinds of headlines aren't as damning as 'Jezza Breaks Down in Tears Over his Anti-Semitic Past'

Twisto, sounds like a bad day all round but just want to echo the effortpost love mate. Great read, but I think they're a bit wasted being posted just here. Maybe stick them on Medium or somewhere like that so they can be linked outside the thead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSM3w1v-A_Y

E: Braggart :argh:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Braggart posted:

Wow, hell of an excuse:

Should have gone with "It was outside interference from a foreign power calling themselves белка" or something like that to tap into the inevitably "Jo; is only not Prime Minister because of Russian interference" narrative that I'm certain we're going to be hearing come the 13th.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Winding all the way back to this morning, I recently learned that one of the common effects of ADHD is a sleep cycle much out of sync with the normal one, and far more likely to be like, 4am to midday or what have you! :eng101: I definitely sleep best when I'm left alone to be nocturnal. (Well, actually I slept best during three months of 2013 when I was cuddled up with the ex, before the next time we were together IRL a year later we suddenly found we couldn't get any sleep with someone else in the room, but being next to someone soft and warm and gentle is an exceptional circumstance).

I don't think they've got much new against Corbyn, mainly because they've been coming through his history for years now and if they'd found something we'd have heard about it at the time.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Braggart posted:

Wow, hell of an excuse:

gently caress you loving got me again, just those loving squirrels keep making me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

A few friends of mine from high school still live in my hometown and honestly even back then they could be pretty toxic. Not outright bad, just loving dumb teenagers using 'gay' to mean 'bad' and just loads of casual bigotry. Tbh I was like that as an idiot 17 year old too. Only problem is whenever I go back and meet them (over a decade later) they just don't really seem to have changed much at all. Same old poo poo. They've somehow become more boring and yet just as cringeworthy and hell maybe the same can be said for me, but I feel like I've grown as a person in a way I just don't see in them. It's got to the point where they make zero effort to keep in touch with me but there's always this unspoken expectation that we'll message and go out for a beer if I'm back visiting my parents for christmas or whatever, but honestly I'm half tempted to just... not. Sort of soft-cut them out of my life via ghosting. That kind of realisation that these people wouldn't lift a finger for you and bring nothing positive to your life. It's a shame, because some of them were my best friends way back when and I wish things were different.

Weirdly enough these were the 'smart' friends. Another pal who was always a bit of a dumbass as a kid has turned into a genuinely lovely, thoughtful bloke and even though I don't see him much he always makes the effort when he can and is a blast to hang out with.